As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lost Season 6] Is Over Now. SPOILERS ABOUND

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The morning after the finale aired my boss told me "well I'm glad I stopped watching in season 3, turns out they were in purgatory the whole time"
    "did you actually watch it?"
    "no, but my cousin explained it to me."
    I then walked away.

Given that interaction (and every other conversation I've had about lost with someone outside my immediate circle of friends) I'm not surprised that "they were dead the whole time" is the commonly accepted belief. Probably half the people who were saying that never watched the show.

SaraLuna on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had to get over those fucking people quickly so I didn't have an aneurism.

like, sorry if you interpreted it that way and read this, but I think you're a goose

also I went to best buy at 1 PM and they were sold out of the blu-ray complete set. so I went to another and they were sold out too.

so I spent my gift card on Dexter and decided I'm never going to best buy again. EAT THAT BEST BUY! I'll be ordering from amazon soon. would have today but I ended up ordering a new phone instead.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man

The New Man in Charge was awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I had to get over those fucking people quickly so I didn't have an aneurism.

like, sorry if you interpreted it that way and read this, but I think you're a moron.

also I went to best buy at 1 PM and they were sold out of the blu-ray complete set. so I went to another and they were sold out too.

so I spent my gift card on Dexter and decided I'm never going to best buy again. EAT THAT BEST BUY! I'll be ordering from amazon soon. would have today but I ended up ordering a new phone instead.

What's worse is that I started correcting people and was told, "Okay that's fair enough. I don't agree with it, but it's a cool interpretation and makes more sense than just saying they weren't dead at all. How's it deal with Linus and Hurly though?"

WHAT?!

I spelled it out and the guy was practically patting me on the head and telling me how cute my little idea on how it really ended was.

shutup5lq7mo.gif

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited August 2010
    yeah my friend after the episode goes "I love how they left it so open ended" and at the time I didn't like the ep as much as I do now but, even still, my response was what the fuck are you talking about? what was open ended about that?

I understand and appreciate any work can ultimately be interpreted in any way, but a show goes to certain lengths to tell a story and sometimes it feels like people just ignore it.

raaaaawr

Variable on
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah those "OH MY GOD THEY'RE ALL DEAD" people make me want to break things..
    christian_eyeroll.jpg

retrovm on
    edited August 2010
    About the whiners, I'll basically say what I just said about The New Man in Charge in the SE++ thread:

SPOILERS
    I like how the warehouse workers basically represented whiny fans here. "We deserve answers!" And then when they ask questions, they ask obvious ones like stuff about the polar bears and food drops that anyone paying attention would have caught onto several seasons ago.

Nice way to leave it vague with Walt and still provide some sort of closure, though I have to wonder why he's in an L.A. mental institute of all places. When Locke visited him, he had to go to New York.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2010
    About the whiners, I'll basically say what I just said about The New Man in Charge in the SE++ thread:

SPOILERS
    I like how the warehouse workers basically represented whiny fans here. "We deserve answers!" And then when they ask questions, they ask obvious ones like stuff about the polar bears and food drops that anyone paying attention would have caught onto several seasons ago.

Nice way to leave it vague with Walt and still provide some sort of closure, though I have to wonder why he's in an L.A. mental institute of all places. When Locke visited him, he had to go to New York.
    good call re:workers, i thought that was very tongue-in-cheek and hilarious. sounded like some of my stupider friends.

now that, i don't know. but i guess a lot can change.. ? what's the timeline from when locke visited him and walt being at santa rosa? i have a feeling it's less than a year..

retrovm on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    k forgive me if this sounds dumb, but i just watched everything over a few months, and the way i got it was
    the Island was not Purgatory, but more something in between that and Garden of Eden, but stuill completey physical

I mean, it had a Guardian (or two), and could not be entered unless you were called there, and everything that happened on the Island was pretty morally ambiguous for the most part, and was entirely a physical entity (all of which fulfill the Garden aspects), and yet it was also used as a morality testing grounds by Jacob and the Locke-ness monster, like Purgatory would be used by God

then the whole "flash sideways" wasn't really purgatory as I understand it, since everyone there only moved on to a "higher" plane after they learned about themselves. Sort of a strictly positive Purgatory, not a place where you are judged by others, but where you must judge yourself before you can be enlightened

also, Jackfaces are hilarious

Joolander on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    k forgive me if this sounds dumb, but i just watched everything over a few months, and the way i got it was
    the Island was not Purgatory, but more something in between that and Garden of Eden, but stuill completey physical

I mean, it had a Guardian (or two), and could not be entered unless you were called there, and everything that happened on the Island was pretty morally ambiguous for the most part, and was entirely a physical entity (all of which fulfill the Garden aspects), and yet it was also used as a morality testing grounds by Jacob and the Locke-ness monster, like Purgatory would be used by God

then the whole "flash sideways" wasn't really purgatory as I understand it, since everyone there only moved on to a "higher" plane after they learned about themselves. Sort of a strictly positive Purgatory, not a place where you are judged by others, but where you must judge yourself before you can be enlightened

The Island was not purgatory or any sort of other plane of existance of whatever. The Island is part of the real world, just with crazy properties caused by fliberdagibit under the ground. This stuff causes light and shit. The Island needs to be protected for some unknown reason because if it's ever done away with (or the cork is pulled) bad shit happens. REALLY bad shit.

While Jacob and Fake-Locke were playing out some sort of game there, this isn't inherent to the Island's existence. It's simply a result of the two of them.

The only thing in the show that WASN'T the real world as the "Flash Sideways" which is some sort of other plane of existence that people go to after they die before moving on to whatever comes after death.

shryke on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    the Island was not Purgatory, but more something in between that and Garden of Eden, but still completey physical

The Island was not purgatory or any sort of other plane of existance of whatever. The Island is part of the real world, just with crazy properties caused by fliberdagibit under the ground. This stuff causes light and shit. The Island needs to be protected for some unknown reason because if it's ever done away with (or the cork is pulled) bad shit happens. REALLY bad shit.

While Jacob and Fake-Locke were playing out some sort of game there, this isn't inherent to the Island's existence. It's simply a result of the two of them.

The only thing in the show that WASN'T the real world as the "Flash Sideways" which is some sort of other plane of existence that people go to after they die before moving on to whatever comes after death.

to be clear,
    I'm agreeing with you on the part in green. thats what I meant by "completely physical"

I get that it exists in our plane of existence. but it's still exceedingly hard to get there by accident or coincidence, to the point that the Island of one of its Guardians or some other appropriate power basically needs to summon you there in almost all cases

that doesnt mean its existence isnt partly supernatural. I mean, the whole point of DHARMA as I saw it was "science" invading and studying the manifestation of the supernatural in the physical plane. they were "intruders" which is why they were eventually destroyed

Joolander on
    edited August 2010
    seems to me like you got it, or I guess I should say you interpreted it as I did

Variable on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cant stress enough how much I loved "New Man In Charge".

And, in some bizarro way, it made me like the finale MORE.

The finale was the wrap up of the sideways timeline, and the end of the core island drama of good vs. evil. It was the big guns that didn't melt my brain, but were critical to finishing the story.

The New Man In Charge said "Also, life went on and this stuff happened." and allowed me to watch the Finale without going "I wish someone would ask about..."

I miss this show so much.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got my complete series in the mail today. I could watch Jack doing the flying super punch over and over again.

Also, I want to echo all of the love for New Man in Charge. It's like they said, he we know you wanted all of these things explained so here you go. I have to say though, I don't think that it fits anywhere in the finale, thematically at least.

Shaggy on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm glad it was a supplemental thing

People that say it should have been tacked onto the ending are crazy

If you seriously think that's a more fitting ending than Jack's eye closing you should perhaps get your brain checked

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2010
    yeah definitely fits as a supplemental bit.

those of you who got the complete collection, did you find the secret disc?? SO COOL

retrovm on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    retrovm wrote: »

those of you who got the complete collection, did you find the secret disc?? SO COOL

There's an entire secret disc?

That's awesome.

SniperGuy on
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »

There's an entire secret disc?

That's awesome.

yeah! take a look at the lid carefully, with the little dharma blacklight.

retrovm on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I miss you, LOST.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I miss you, LOST.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I miss you, LOST.

retrovm on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *smashes face repeatedly into wall*

CHRIST!!!!! I can't believe how stupid people still are. This guy made a blog entry asking people to explain Lost to him as he had never seen it and at least half of the replies were people saying, "OMG the ending was so lame, it turns out that they were dead the WHOLE TIME!"

People still believe this?!
    Perhaps you should review some of my posts in this thread on the matter.

Most beliefs on Lost form the hardcore fans tend to put full faith into one conversation in the final episode and ignore anything contradictory before it (or contrive a lot of complicated filler). Theories that try to treat each episode more equally and tie together the parts that fit best or make the most sense (which is what I think a lot of more casual fans are doing) does in fact leave it rather open to a few possibilities, up to and including that they are all dead. Despite the fact that this obviously doesn't completely jive with a few things said by one character in the finale.

Yar on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yar. wouldn't you say though that simply because this specific episode is the last episode, it carries special authority with respect to What Really Happened? I'd say that it's not enough that other episodes may allow for different interpretations - there's a certain, well, finality that comes with being the final hour or two of a series, unless that episode in itself undermines its own authority.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I miss you, LOST.

Seriously. There's nothing else on TV at the moment that I have even remotely similar investment in, and none of the new shows appear to be anything special either.

Vincent Grayson on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I miss you, LOST.

Seriously. There's nothing else on TV at the moment that I have even remotely similar investment in, and none of the new shows appear to be anything special either.

New seasons of Venture Bros. and Fringe really soon.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thirith wrote: »
    Yar. wouldn't you say though that simply because this specific episode is the last episode, it carries special authority with respect to What Really Happened? I'd say that it's not enough that other episodes may allow for different interpretations - there's a certain, well, finality that comes with being the final hour or two of a series, unless that episode in itself undermines its own authority.
    Sure. There is an understandable reason why many took the conversation between Jack and Christian as the final authority. But even there, IMO most people who scream about people "not getting it" seemed to also themselves really not get all of what was being said there.

Yar on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nope I missed something, edited my idiocy out.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yar, I believe you have been dead the whole time.
    Therefore you are clearly biased.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wish they would do a few more New Man In Charge episodes.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited August 2010
    i wish they would do some little vignettes on ben and hurley on the island.

retrovm on
    edited August 2010
    So I was listening to the radio and this fat guy was talking about how they had a local auction on things from the LOST set, and you could take a picture with a lot of these items before the auction. Well the hatch was there, and there were people taking pictures with it. Fat guy sees a family all standing on it to get a picture taken, so he gets in line to get a picture taken on it. When he gets on it and starts posing for pictures, suddenly a security lady from across the room starts screaming, "GET HIM OFF THE HATCH HE'S TOO BIG, HE'LL BREAK IT!" Then hundreds of people turned around from what they were doing to look at him and he said it was the most embarrassed he had ever been. He was also pissed at the fact that they did that to him after entire families were up on it.

The_Spaniard on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I was listening to the radio and this fat guy was talking about how they had a local auction on things from the LOST set, and you could take a picture with a lot of these items before the auction. Well the hatch was there, and there were people taking pictures with it. Fat guy sees a family all standing on it to get a picture taken, so he gets in line to get a picture taken on it. When he gets on it and starts posing for pictures, suddenly a security lady from across the room starts screaming, "GET HIM OFF THE HATCH HE'S TOO BIG, HE'LL BREAK IT!" Then hundreds of people turned around from what they were doing to look at him and he said it was the most embarrassed he had ever been. He was also pissed at the fact that they did that to him after entire families were up on it.

Jorge was always suspended from five cranes, just in case.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited August 2010
    So I want to get that ultimate box set and I already have seasons 1-5 on Blu-ray, 2-5 are still unopened. Is there any place where I could get a decent trade in on these Blu-ray box sets? I mean fuck I'd be willing to just give them to somebody here for 20 bucks a pop if they took the whole lot off my hands.

The_Spaniard on
    edited September 2010
    i don't know about anywhere official, but i bet you could sell them on ebay or amazon especially.

did anyone pick up the soundtrack today? i did, and it's SO. GREAT.

retrovm on
    edited September 2010
    i don't know about anywhere official, but i bet you could sell them on ebay or amazon especially.

did anyone pick up the soundtrack today? i did, and it's SO. GREAT.

You mean the new Weezer album, Hurley?

Weezer-hurley-final.png

I know that's not what you mean, but it is odd that both came out today.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know the end of the series and the culmination of this thread is pretty good timing, more or less.

also I love the weezer album, I think it's hilarious

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited September 2010
    haha yeah, it's pretty boss. it makes me yearn for the days when weezer was good.. but that's another thread!

retrovm on
    edited September 2010
    haha yeah, it's pretty boss. it makes me yearn for the days when weezer was good.. but that's another thread!

According to all reviews I've read so far, it finds itself in the company of the Blue Album and Pinkerton

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2010
    hey! lost fans!

tomorrow at 7:30 AM EST/4:30 AM PST on amazon.com Lost The Complete Series will be

$124.99 on blu-ray
    $99.99 on DVD

had to let you all know, sorry to bump a rather old thread.

Variable on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    hey! lost fans!

tomorrow at 7:30 AM EST/4:30 AM PST on amazon.com Lost The Complete Series will be

$124.99 on blu-ray
    $99.99 on DVD

had to let you all know, sorry to bump a rather old thread.

Looking at your sig under UnbreakableVow's makes it look like Penny is talking to Jonathan.

elevature on