As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portland.... should I?

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Housing is cheaper in Arizona. Plus, Oregon isn't all that great.

Does arizona have anything like

www.groundkontrol.com ?

Viscountalpha on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

www.groundkontrol.com ?

They also just won the Stride Save The Arcades contest. $25,000 upgrade going into an already amazing establishment.

That reminds me that I need to go buy a Super Nintendo there next week.

EDIT: Or does Arizona have a Retro Video Gaming Expo?

Esh on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »

www.groundkontrol.com ?

They also just won the Stride Save The Arcades contest. $25,000 upgrade going into an already amazing establishment.

That reminds me that I need to go buy a Super Nintendo there next week.

EDIT: Or does Arizona have a Retro Video Gaming Expo?

They do, this woman was on her way to the Frogger championships
    The Maricopa County Attorney's Office has chosen not to prosecute Arizona Department of Corrections staff in the death of inmate Marcia Powell.

Powell, 48, died May 20, 2009, after being kept in a human cage in Goodyear's Perryville Prison for at least four hours in the blazing Arizona sun. This, despite a prison policy limiting such outside confinement to a maximum of two hours.

The county medical examiner found the cause of death to be due to complications from heat exposure. Her core body temperature upon examination was 108 degrees Fahrenheit. She suffered burns and blisters all over her body.

Witnesses say she was repeatedly denied water by corrections officers, though the c.o.'s deny this. The weather the day she collapsed from the heat (May 19 -- she died in the early morning hours of May 20) arched just above a 107 degree high.

According to a 3,000 page report released by the ADC, she pleaded to be taken back inside, but was ignored. Similarly, she was not allowed to use the restroom. When she was found unconscious, her body was covered with excrement from soiling herself.

Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, actually expired after being transported to West Valley Hospital, where acting ADC Director Charles Ryan made the decision to have her life support suspended.

scrivenerjones on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I've never been to any part of Oregon, but my advice is always to go to the place you want to be whenever humanly possible. A slight decrease in net income probably isn't a big deal if Portland is really where you want to live. Loving where you live can make up for a ton of small downsides.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aphostile wrote:
    ntown, I've either walked or taken the MAX pretty much everywhere, including all the way to the airport.

If you want to grab a beer or something, maybe we could organize a Portland PAX, as it is as you mentioned, many Portlandians on the PA boards.

Limed for good idea!

Lykouragh on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ground Kontrol is such a perfect argument in favor of portland to use on these forums that it's almost unfair.

There's basically no sense in which portland can be called diverse. Per census data, portland identifies as 90% white, 11% latin/hispanic, with black/asian/indian/other representing 2-3 percent each. This isn't hugely different from phoenix aside from the smaller latino population, but if we measure diversity by racial identification portland is certainly less diverse.

You don't need to worry about staying away from MLK unless you are living way north (like northwest, the area has gentrified rapidly.) Crime in this area is overblown by the media; certainly it's higher than irvington or laurelhurst, but it's not bad and crime in the city generally is lower than it's been in years.

You will not have a problem getting around on a bicycle and public transit if you live in the city. A car is handy for lots of things obviously, but it's by no means a necessity.

Lastly, anyone who thinks panhandling in portland is some kind of huge problem is full of shit, and probably from a suburb where such people are run off with sticks (given what I know of the phoenix area law enforcement this may also describe phoenix.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The job I am applying for is at Portland State University, since someone asked a few posts ago. Thanks for all the good information folks. I think this really helped make up my mind. I'll probably revive this thread once I know if I got the job with some more pointed questions.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    The job I am applying for is at Portland State University, since someone asked a few posts ago. Thanks for all the good information folks. I think this really helped make up my mind. I'll probably revive this thread once I know if I got the job with some more pointed questions.

Oh, I go there. Great campus. It's in SW Portland on the edge of downtown.

Esh on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I love how it's technically "SW Portland" even though SW Portland is pretty much Hillsdale, OHSU, Terwillager and Multnomah Village.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I love how it's technically "SW Portland" even though SW Portland is pretty much Hillsdale, OHSU, Terwillager and Multnomah Village.

I love those little neighborhoods up by OHSU. If I wasn't so perfectly located already (SE 20th and Hawthorne) I'd move up there in an instant.

Esh on
    edited September 2010
    What's the best way to even start looking for an apartment? Craigslist? Are there any good brokers or anything like that there?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2010
    What's the best way to even start looking for an apartment? Craigslist? Are there any good brokers or anything like that there?

Craigslist probably. It's how I look.

Esh on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My goal is actually to use a bike and public transportation pretty much exclusively. The urban sprawl here in Phoenix is insane. Anyway, is there anything else I should know to start preparing for this? I feel pretty good about the job, so I'm not worried there.

I applaud this plan. I just want to note something financial--the real cost of a car is not per trip (I mean sure, parking fees, gas, yea) but actual OWNERSHIP (insurance, taxes, licensing fees, repairs, initial purchase) is a larger cost than actual usage. Automobile operation is a heavily subsidized past-time.

So, owning a car and not using it, while great for both your health & the environment, is not going to save you much money compared to not buying a car in the first place.

Personally I kept my car for the first 6 months of living in a city but got tired of moving it for street sweeping, etc, and realized I really could survive in a comparatively small, not bike friendly, city without one. It's remarkably easy, even with our deplorable public transit, to do my grocery shopping & work commuting & etc with only a bicycle.

I'm in New Haven--not Portland, different coast even--but I love using apartment brokers to find places. I just tell them EXACTLY what I want, wait for the inevitable, "you want too much for too little", and just hold firm. Then they show me a few places that are over-priced, and then they show me exactly what I want, and I get it.

I've found CL is overpriced here--things that go for 800 a mo on there are 700 through a broker, because they tend to be owner-listed on CL, and with the free cost of placing an ad, they have little need to make sure it's a reasonable price first.

streever on
    edited September 2010
    If you really need to drive somewhere just sign up for zipcar imo.

scrivenerjones on
    edited September 2010

I love those little neighborhoods up by OHSU. If I wasn't so perfectly located already (SE 20th and Hawthorne) I'd move up there in an instant.

What's funny about those neighborhoods by OHSU is that if we get any snow, you are stuck. When we had that afternoon of snowfall that shut down the city last January we actually had people stranded at OHSU.

DoctorArch on
    edited September 2010

What's funny about those neighborhoods by OHSU is that if we get any snow, you are stuck. When we had that afternoon of snowfall that shut down the city last January we actually had people stranded at OHSU.

I have a friend who lives up there who said just that. I love how that happens. It's charming in it's own way. A little adventure.

Esh on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, be careful with applying at PSU and expecting to hear back in any reasonable amount of time.

I applied for a couple jobs there which I would be heavily well-qualified for when I first got here in June. I was finally able to hear back from them in August when they sent letters in the regular ol' snail mail to me saying that they were looking for other candidates.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited September 2010

I lived in Fort Collins, CO for two years, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

On the car front, I would love to give up my car entirely, believe me. I just am kind of scared to make that commitment. There's a lot Oregon has to offer and I'd like to be able to drive to the coast or out camping whenever I want to, and it seems like public transportation might not help with that.
    Aphostile wrote:
    Hmm, be careful with applying at PSU and expecting to hear back in any reasonable amount of time.

I applied for a couple jobs there which I would be heavily well-qualified for when I first got here in June. I was finally able to hear back from them in August when they sent letters in the regular ol' snail mail to me saying that they were looking for other candidates.

Yeah, it has already taken awhile. But I kind of expected that. I'm not about to quit my job without making sure I have one secured there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • citizenMckeecitizenMckee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    someone on page 1 had mentioned Vancover as a terrible place, I have thought about moving to portland many times but thought vancover seemed like a great idea, I already live in washington and not paying sales tax & state tax seems pretty great for a similar experience?

citizenMckee on
    edited September 2010
    No. Vancouver is poop from a butt.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

How expensive is it to live up on the hill? OHSU accepted me a few weeks ago, but I deferred matriculation until next year, so I have plenty of time to figure out living arrangements in Portland. I've been in the state my whole life, but know almost nothing about Portland. D:

My little sister is headed off to PSU next week, too.

Fats on
  • citizenMckeecitizenMckee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

As much as I love to take opinions with the word "poop" and "butt" in them at face value from strangers, some further explaination is required in this case I am afraid. :P

citizenMckee on
    edited September 2010
    Fats wrote: »

How expensive is it to live up on the hill? OHSU accepted me a few weeks ago, but I deferred matriculation until next year, so I have plenty of time to figure out living arrangements in Portland. I've been in the state my whole life, but know almost nothing about Portland. D:

My little sister is headed off to PSU next week, too.

I'm pretty sure it's not terrible at all.

Esh on
    edited September 2010

As much as I love to take opinions with the word "poop" and "butt" in them at face value from strangers, some further explaination is required in this case I am afraid. :P

Vancouver is generally referred to as "Portland's Parking Lot". Honestly, you're not going to save much at all living there and if you're going to experience Portland, just live in the middle of it. It's the only way to really do it.

Esh on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm more in the SW part; like, very southwest, where Garden Home and Beaverton meet up but on the Portland side of 217. Unless you work in SE, or downtown, I think living in the triangle that 26, 217 and I-5 makes is awesome. Personally, I work in Lake Oswego; so my commute is pretty quick, about 10 minutes. The times I want to go into SE or NW for a drink or entertainment with friends, its not rush hour; so it only takes about 10-15 minutes for that too. Your money will go farther for dwelling out here in the Garden Home area as well.
    I wanted to live in Hillsdale, but the homes were just a bit out of my price range for anything that didn't need considerable work. Plus, down the road is John's Marketplace. This is a grocery store sized beer store. Every beer. Here is a list: http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/

I love Mt. Hood, hiking in the gorge, driving to the coast for crabbing and drinking beer with friends, the food and the vibe. The rose garden and japanese gardens, all the trails in Forest Park, generally just how green everything is. After a while the rain becomes soothing, but the dry summers are a breath of fresh air. I like Seattle, but I have to say it seems like it would be better to live here year round.

Income tax is a bitch though. I'd take a sales tax over income, its the worst thing about Oregon.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited September 2010
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    I'm more in the SW part; like, very southwest, where Garden Home and Beaverton meet up but on the Portland side of 217. Unless you work in SE, or downtown, I think living in the triangle that 26, 217 and I-5 makes is awesome. Personally, I work in Lake Oswego; so my commute is pretty quick, about 10 minutes. The times I want to go into SE or NW for a drink or entertainment with friends, its not rush hour; so it only takes about 10-15 minutes for that too. Your money will go farther for dwelling out here in the Garden Home area as well.
    I wanted to live in Hillsdale, but the homes were just a bit out of my price range for anything that didn't need considerable work. Plus, down the road is John's Marketplace. This is a grocery store sized beer store. Every beer. Here is a list: http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/\

Again. Suburbs. Your slight cost in living decrease will be offset by a commute and a lot of wasted time and parking fees every day.

Esh on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, most people can't live next to their jobs and if I lived where you do, my commute would be more like half an hour each way. Also, my house is awesome and if I tried to find something with my kitchen and hardwood floors in SE (between hawthorne and division) it would have been 200k more in SE. I shopped hard in SE when I was looking last July, but no avail and I think I have less commute time now, because I have to work every day, but I can't be eating out and drinking at bars every single day.

Edit: Wow, you are practically next door neighbors with a friend/coworker of mine. Its a nice place to live no doubt and would recommend it to the OP. It just depends on your needs.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wanted to live in Hillsdale, but the homes were just a bit out of my price range for anything that didn't need considerable work. Plus, down the road is John's Marketplace. This is a grocery store sized beer store. Every beer. Here is a list: http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Bottles/\

Again. Suburbs. Your slight cost in living decrease will be offset by a commute and a lot of wasted time and parking fees every day.

Definitely agree with Esh here. If you are planning to move to an urban center because you love that urban center, go somewhere that you won't use your car. It is a different lifestyle, and where you live becomes a different city. If you can have a car that you drive once a week or whatever, go for it. That's what I do, I make sure to take my car to the grocery store rather than biking just so the battery doesn't die. Which is what happened when I first moved to DC and didn't bother to drive for four months straight. I live carless, essentially, but I have the vehicle to go out of town.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2010
    Well, most people can't live next to their jobs and if I lived where you do, my commute would be more like half an hour each way. Also, my house is awesome and if I tried to find something with my kitchen and hardwood floors in SE (between hawthorne and division) it would have been 200k more in SE. I shopped hard in SE when I was looking last July, but no avail and I think I have less commute time now, because I have to work every day, but I can't be eating out and drinking at bars every single day.

Edit: Wow, you are practically next door neighbors with a friend/coworker of mine. Its a nice place to live no doubt and would recommend it to the OP. It just depends on your needs.

He's not buying a house. He's renting.

Esh on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The only connection from Portland to Vancouver is a pair of bridges that are too narrow for all the people who've decided that, hey, living in Vancouver to avoid state taxes while shopping in Oregon to avoid sales tax might be a great idea.

The obvious solution is to extend Portland's light rail system across the river to meet with Vancouver's public transit system, but every time that gets brought up it gets shot down due to bureaucratic hurfdurfing on either the Portland side, the Vancouver side, or both.

baudattitude on
    edited September 2010

The only connection from Portland to Vancouver is a pair of bridges that are too narrow for all the people who've decided that, hey, living in Vancouver to avoid state taxes while shopping in Oregon to avoid sales tax might be a great idea.

don't forget amtrak. amtrak owns. I dunno if you could commute on it but I dont live in vancouver so who cares!!

scrivenerjones on
    edited September 2010
    I have already stated everything that needs to be stated about Vancouver!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only reason to ever live in Vancouver is if you have a job there. Even then I would probably rather live in Camas or Hazel Dell or one of those places.

Zenitram on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not that vancouver is terrible, really, it's just that there's not anything good about it. Sprawl-y, devoid of many interesting things, and 30 minutes to an hour of irritating traffic away from portland (the real reason you're in vancouver in the first place.) It basically means you are locked out of all of portland's awesome transit junk, since you have to drive into town and deal with parking anyway.

Tri-met would like nothing more than to link up light rail with vancouver; the problem is the same one facing light rail connections to the suburbs: people in the destination don't want to send a bunch of money to tri-met, and tri-met will never get portland to subsidize the connector on it's own (multiplied by about a million in vancouver's specific case, because of the distance and river crossing.) Which is why they are building a wonderful rail line through northeast portland, but plans to go to more suburban destinations are on the back burner and vancouver is a total pipe dream.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2010
    Maybe they can just destroy all bridges into Vancouver and it can just live on its own and go away.

I think I found a place today! It's close to a freeway, but it's cool beans and is in the SW and I can walk to work in 5-10 minutes. Woooooooooooooo!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tri-met would like nothing more than to link up light rail with vancouver; the problem is the same one facing light rail connections to the suburbs: people in the destination don't want to send a bunch of money to tri-met, and tri-met will never get portland to subsidize the connector on it's own (multiplied by about a million in vancouver's specific case, because of the distance and river crossing.) Which is why they are building a wonderful rail line through northeast portland, but plans to go to more suburban destinations are on the back burner and vancouver is a total pipe dream.

Hey, now, we managed to get WES put in, and it's pretty nice for the SW suburbs, and Gresham / Hillsboro are covered by Max, so that's most of the outlying areas covered. Oregon City / Lake Oswego are kind of left hanging still, though, I think.

baudattitude on
    edited September 2010

Vancouver is generally referred to as "Portland's Parking Lot". Honestly, you're not going to save much at all living there and if you're going to experience Portland, just live in the middle of it. It's the only way to really do it.

Also, if you live in Vancouver and work in Portland, aside from lower property tax, there is no good reason to live there. You will get violated by the income tax, still pay sales tax in Washington, traffic is abysmal, and Vancouver doesn't have the community and feel that Portland has.

DoctorArch on
    edited September 2010
    It's not that vancouver is terrible, really, it's just that there's not anything good about it. Sprawl-y, devoid of many interesting things, and 30 minutes to an hour of irritating traffic away from portland (the real reason you're in vancouver in the first place.) It basically means you are locked out of all of portland's awesome transit junk, since you have to drive into town and deal with parking anyway.

This sums it up well, especially the Trimet part. Vancouver simply doesn't want to contribute. I really wish Trimet would simply build the MAX tracks half way across the river and say "Here you go you cheap fucksticks!"

DoctorArch on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe they can just destroy all bridges into Vancouver and it can just live on its own and go away.

I think I found a place today! It's close to a freeway, but it's cool beans and is in the SW and I can walk to work in 5-10 minutes. Woooooooooooooo!

Is it Park Plaza Apartments by any chance, or in that area? Link.

If so, the noise from I-405 is not a factor at all. Had a friend live there for a few years and it was a pretty cool place, a bit on the spendy side though.

Zenitram on
    edited September 2010
    It's very close to there, its called Goose Hollow Townhomes and is at the very end of SW 18th.

The unit the agent showed was overlooking the 26 but the unit I'm getting is tucked back a bit. When I toured it, I couldn't help but think the people moving in that one are suckers.

Sharing rent with my gf so its only ~600$ a month. Less than half of my one bedroom in San Jose. And its got a free covered gazed parking garage. Woooo! Going to drop off rental stuff in a few minutes :)

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.