As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something interesting...

FlamesFlames Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Penny Arcade Games
I noticed this a few days ago, but Ephemerous and Emeritus are not names.

Emeritus is an honorary title given to retired professors who have been with schools for obscene amounts of time; the closest thing I could find to Ephemerous was the word "ephemeris," which is an annual table of data (mainly astronomical) that depend on the time.

So...(and now we get to the crazy theorizing/fangasming) does this mean something in particular for the two Tycho Brahe's with those middle names? T. Emeritus was a well-regarded professor at the Old Academy prior to his (for lack of a better term) interment to Cloying Odor and most likely would have gotten the emeritus title had he retired. Does this mean T. Ephemerous may have been connected to astronomy as well as Apocalyptics?

As for Erasmus, that means "beloved". However, Tycho's middle name comes from T. Emeritus' brother, so that may just have been out of respect. Plus, Tycho Erasmus Brahe just sounds catchy, doesn't it?

Anyhoo, I guess this qualifies as a discussion thread. So...yeah. Discuss?

Flames on

• Options
    TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm too dumb to make any assumptions on what you pointed out. All i am going to say is Jerry Holkins is a fine writer and I wish I had an ounce of brain power to understand his wonderful work. Also, that Tycho Erasmus Brahe is catchy. I don't know why. Don't ask me. STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!

Teburninator on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flames wrote: »
    which is an annual table of data (mainly astronomical) that depend on the time.

So...(and now we get to the crazy theorizing/fangasming) does this mean something in particular for the two Tycho Brahe's with those middle names? Does this mean T. Ephemerous may have been connected to astronomy as well as Apocalyptics?

I'd say it has a lot to do with it given his namesake.

Tycho Brahe was the most comprehensive astronomer of his generation, his assistant was Johannes Kepler who used Tycho's observations to formulate his laws of planetary motion (which led to Newton unifying them with his own theories to prove his theory of gravitation...PHYSICS!).

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the_more_you_know2.jpg

freakazoid on
    Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
  • Options
    EldritchMEldritchM Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Ephemerial is a word that comes from the Greek for "day." It means something that lasts for only a day, or figuratively, for a very short time.

EldritchM on
  • Options
    FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EldritchM wrote: »
    Ephemerial is a word that comes from the Greek for "day." It means something that lasts for only a day, or figuratively, for a very short time.

Does this mean T. Ephemerous didn't live long, do you think? It honestly doesn't surprise me; something tells me the Brahe clan doesn't have the longest life-expectancy.

Interesting fact: My English teacher brought up Erasmus in class, so I googled him. I'm fairly certain he was talking about Desiderius Erasmus, who was a humanist scholar who spoke out against the Catholic church. This may have lead to the naming of Tycho's uncle, and thus his own middle name.

However, there's also Erasmus Darwin--physician, poet, and grandfather of Charles, and Erasmus Reinhold--a 16th century German astronomer and mathematician (much like Tycho Brahe's namesake).

Oh, plus there was Erasmus the Wizard in the Quest for Glory games. Knowing the basis of Penny Arcade, that really would not surprise me, either.

Flames on