As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

1101112131416»

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I didn't run into any leaders during the con and showed up late to the second meetup, which meant there was a fairly sizeable line ahead of me for each gym leader, but it was really cool seeing everyone in costume and watching people battle. Congrats to all involved and thank you for your efforts!

I think for next year a few more gym leaders and the rule of 6 badges before the E4 would be good. Otherwise it seems like it would've worked out had I been able to make the other meetups. In any event, what little time I did have to hang around you guys was pretty fun, even if I wasn't able to battle. Looking forward to next year's PPL!

Don't fret, we're in deep discussions with how to make this more awesome for next year. We want this to be fun and not impossible for everyone from casuals up to hardcore players. :mrgreen:

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • ViltrisViltris Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty sure there's some overlap between people who never venture outside the PPL thread and people who are in or near Seattle right now. So I'm gonna cross-post

PARTY AT HELEOR'S PLACE! See http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=127730 and/or http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149622411735358

Viltris on
    \/
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Viltris wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty sure there's some overlap between people who never venture outside the PPL thread and people who are in or near Seattle right now. So I'm gonna cross-post

PARTY AT HELEOR'S PLACE! See http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=127730 and/or http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149622411735358

GAAAAAAHHHH!!! I have my swedish massage course that day T_T darn....

well, I hope everyone has a great time, and I want to see some pictures!

lagomorphic on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have just preordered Pokemon Black. I may be slightly distracted during my party, if the package comes in time. ;)

Heleor on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah, I'm moving is up at college that day... so I won't be there...

thespiffyneostar on
  • reekuzareekuza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just posted in the FB thread. x) I noticed a couple people that I managed to talk to (Chad, Dwayne) are going, so sad that I probably won't be able to go to get to know them better. Bawww.

reekuza on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I can't make it due to work and having just had PAX off, but if you guys ever do another one, I'd love to come!

@reekuza, I notice you're in Yelm; Probably not as many people would come, but I want to have a South Sound forum/Pokemon/gaming get-together at some point. I definitely don't have anything figured out for it yet, but it might be easier for people down here to attend that couldn't normally just drive up to Seattle after work and things like that.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • missyjeanmissyjean Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do the any of the gym leaders have Facebook pages? I'm not seeing them,but I've never really used Facebook before!

missyjean on
    edited September 2010
    @Elga- Yeah. I mean, I wouldn't have as much of an issue driving up to seattle (I'd probably eat at Saigon since I love pho then go there lol) if I had that day off from work, but I have no idea what the next week's schedule is until I come in to close tonight.

reekuza on
    edited September 2010
    missyjean wrote: »
    Do the any of the gym leaders have Facebook pages? I'm not seeing them,but I've never really used Facebook before!

I've made some of the gym leaders who I caught liking the facebook page administrators. perhaps look for admins.

thespiffyneostar on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lechee wrote: »
    Teletheus wrote: »
    Since I switch my internet provider to Comcast, I have not figure out how to get my DS connected to the internet. If you live around the seattle area, we can meet up to battle.

This may be a silly question, but did your wireless security change when you changed ISPs? I know I was surprised to discover that the DS only supports WEP security for games and that it can't recognize WPA.

Yes it did. I had to change my network since i switch internet provider and that network is WPA. Nintendo has a way so you can use the WPA security for the DS, but it has not work for me.

I ran into this problem recently. My understanding is that the DSi can use WPA security in its Internet mode (i.e., browsing the Web) but that the games themselves don't work with WPA. I ended up having to buy a new wireless router that has a Guest mode, so I can run WPA2 on my 'real' wireless connection and run WEP on the Guest mode (so DS games with Wi-Fi features can access them).

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lechee, were you the guy with the Ash hat?

No I am the short asian guy with the glasses.
    Gameshark wrote: »
    The pokemon league was fun. I am just missing the fourth elite 4 and the champ badge. I hope I can go to PAX next year to do this again maybe as a gym leader or something, unless you get too many gym leaders.

I think next time, the gym battle should be 3v3, elite 4 should be 4v4, and champ should be 6v6. This should allow someone to almost finish the league in 1 day, so the elite 4 and champ dont have to wait til sunday to battle.

Can you battle over the netz? I'd hate for you to miss everyone's badge but mine. Let's talk, I'd love to face you and see if you're worthy of illumination!

Since I switch my internet provider to Comcast, I have not figure out how to get my DS connected to the internet. If you live around the seattle area, we can meet up to battle.

Sadly I live on the East Coast.... and then up a bit in the Great White North. If you ever figure out how to do it let me know and we can fight.

Gameshark on
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    I have just preordered Pokemon Black. I may be slightly distracted during my party, if the package comes in time. ;)

is it supposed to come ON the Japanese release date? cause I ordered Pokemon Black a bit ago as well :D

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    2 updates:
    1) The friend code thing fell through. Including me, there were about 4 friend codes posted of the leaders, which isn't many, but I'll try one last time to get a few more then post them in a few days.

2) This was posted a bit on the Fbook and the Twit-machine but WE'RE GOING TO GET A WEBSITE! (thanks to the free 1 year webhosting given to all the PAX attendies this year =D) But there is a small problem: I don't know how to design websites, nor do I have the tools to do so. It is for that reason that I'd like to ask someone to donate a bit of time (it won't be much, I promise) to make a website layout for us, after that, we should be good (I feel comfortable adding in news posts and stuff if I'm told how).
    any advice on this sort of matter would be GREATLY appreciated! we want to make this a great success and hopefully having a website will help us get a bit more sway and possibly more publicity, beyond just a forum post here :)

thespiffyneostar on
    edited September 2010
    1) I actually haven't touched my DS since PAX - my friend code won't do you much good. I will post my friend code for Pokemon Black as soon as I translate enough to actually find it. (Don't hold your breath.)

2) What did the English language ever do to you? Why do you keep murdering it so?*

* This post actually wasn't too bad!

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    That sounds pretty awesome. And when that runs out, you could just move to spleafnet.com. It's a free website hosting place, and they do make you have one banner ad on each page, but with Mozilla Adblock, it's gone and serves no issues. Plus those sites have their own forums that you can make and people can have their own accounts there and all.

reekuza on
    edited September 2010
    Eeep, no ads!

(There's a lot of people involved in this - scraping up 60 dollars a year for good reliable hosting is not an issue.)

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    Eeep, no ads!

(There's a lot of people involved in this - scraping up 60 dollars a year for good reliable hosting is not an issue.)

agreed, and we have an entire year to figure this stuff out.

ALSO: update on the Friend codes; I'm packing to move back up to college, and also worrying about my car getting fixed in time, so I will have friend codes up on friday at the latest...

thespiffyneostar on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, I would love to get in on this if you guys are doing it at PAX East... I'm going to start training! I want to be a gym leader! But I am no where near good enough.

GOTTA BE THE VERY BEST~

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited September 2010
    It will be done at East. Details will be announced when badges are on sale. :)

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    wait, who am I supposed to give my Friend code to?

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    wait, who am I supposed to give my Friend code to?

just wait til I post the GL list, and then you post yours and I'll glomp it (meaning absorb it) into the post as well.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited September 2010

is it supposed to come ON the Japanese release date? cause I ordered Pokemon Black a bit ago as well :D

Well, we should get it by Tuesday anyway...

PAX East badges will be on sale soon. Once they're on sale recruitment will start for East gym leaders!

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    THREAD NECRO

but for a reason: Check it

also slight update in the front post, and our plans for friend code swaps have since fallen through. if you want to swap codes, I will make a section on the front post for it and keep it updated weekly.

sorry for being in-communicato for the past week, I just got up to college, and the first week is kinda kicking my ass a bit, but things are settling back into regularity so all will be well soon.

thespiffyneostar on
This discussion has been closed.