As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The XBLIG Thread - where we discuss the games, not the programming :P

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Hello, and welcome to the XBox Live Indie Games thread! Due to popular request, we now have a thread for discussing the games on the XBLIG service, rather than XNA and programming and algorithms. That discussion is great but it is covered over here.
indiegamesxbox.jpg

There are lots of gems on this service, and most of them are between 80 and 400 microsoft points. That's a deal!

I will list some recommendations (and add more as they are suggested) from the past, but new games are always coming out.

Shooter / Twin Stick:
Beat Hazard - twin stick to the beat of your music

Zombie Estate - 8 bit coop zombie shooter with upgrades

Shoot1Up - collect ships to add to your massive armada of death

Leave Home - difficulty adjusts depending on how good you are!

RadianGames Inferno - stylized twin stick, with gauntlet and rpg elements

RadianGames Crossfire - it's like Space Invaders Extreme, Extreme Edition

Weapon of Choice - crazy multicharacter contra-esque game

I mad3 a game w/ zomb1es in it - we all know about this famous one

Hypership Out of Control! - This is an 8-bit style vertical shooter that starts out fast, and gets faster and faster as you dodge crazy levels and blow shit up! global boards, highly addicting

RPG
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning - 8 bit style parody RPG, but with modern, fast gameplay tweaks and only 80 MSP! I very much recommend this game ;)

Dungeon Adventure - it's an X360 Roguelike, with optional ascii or actual graphics

Aphelion Episode 1 - decent if somewhat unbalanced RPG with pretty good production value

Platformer
Apple Jack - excellent puzzle-esque platformer involving all kinds of cool and unique gameplay elements, and billions of coins to collect

Platformance: Castle Pain - a hard as heck platformer with awesome retro style; try to save the princess in as short a time with as few deaths as possible

Ophidian Wars: Opac's Journey - it's a lot like a Metroidvania in platforming, but it has a much more laid back atmosphere due to lack of enemies.

Arkedo Pixel - cool 8 bit stylized platformer

Tower Defense
Protect Me Knight - 8 bit style tower defense, cooperative play too, very cool

SoulCaster - it's like bomberman and a great tower defense game had a baby

Other
Miner Dig Deep - Dig and expand your mine to find greater treasures from the depths. Strangely addicting exploration/gem treasure hunt style game.

Action Arcade Wrestling - Supposed to be pretty fun, and you can play multiple match types, edit arenas and create wrestlers.

Explosionade - its like an arena based platformer / shooter / action game. Lots of levels, 80 msp, great presentation.

Radiangames Fluid - You have a small level and you have to collect all the little orb things to complete it. When you collect one, though, it turns into an enemy and needs to be avoided. Hard to describe what makes this game cool and fun. Some call it a neat twist on the basic underlying gameplay of pacman.

older releases:
webboxart.jpg - 8 bit retro style platforming/shooter with a cool aesthetic and awesome chip tunes and 2 player support. Sweet cutscenes, slick action, and some surprisingly good depth with purchaseable upgrades make this a really worthwhile Indie to purchase.

webboxart.jpg - Radiangames Fireball is out - It's basically Geometry Wars 2's pacifism mode but much better. Oh and it's the first radiangames to have online leaderboards.

Updated games / Price Drops:

webboxart.jpg- think of it as basically Asteroids: Retro Evolved - and it just had a price drop to 80 MS. One of the cooler and better shmups on the service.

Feb 8 update:
Gaspode_T wrote: »

Bonded Realities: This is another quirky RPG similar to CSTW but with a little more cartoony hand drawn graphics. I think for fans of Earthbound/Mother series or Cthulu this is a no brainer must buy. I read that he's about to release the first patch with updated box art, hopefully that will help increase sales because it seems to have dropped off pretty hard.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Bonded-Realities/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550791

Vorpal: This is a black and white shmup made by a small team of young students as far as I can tell. The art is anime/manga inspired and very nicely dine, and the gameplay is tough. Shmup fans - it's a must have. They have a tutorial of the game up here: http://www.kobochan.org/
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Vorpal/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550758

ZP2KX: Zombies and Pterodactyls!: This is a XBLIG done by the creators of Dishwasher Ska Studios: http://www.ska-studios.com/category/zp2kx/ It is actually multiplayer and awesome. You can run upside down on the bottom of roof and shoot people with flame throwers. It's kind of like a mix between Worms and Quake or something.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/ZP2KX-Zombies-Pterodactyls/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550732

Astroman: I've heard this compared to Metroid before, and the influence is without a doubt there, but the controls and platforming are a little bit closer to a Mario game. You get harmed and have to hope to get energy packs to heal yourself or you die and have to go back to the last checkpoint. Lots of exploring and shooting cute aliens. I haven't put much time into this one, but it's very well made and definite recommendation.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Curse-of-the-Crescent-Isle/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550711

Curse of the Crescent Isle: This is a floaty platforming game that is brutally hard. It is kind of like a maniacally designed Super Mario Bros 2 because you have to pick up stuff and carry it around to complete goals or open doors. This game is frustrating but hey, it's cheap and made with pure indie love. Recommended for SMB2 fans.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Curse-of-the-Crescent-Isle/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550711

Aesop's Garden: NES style puzzle game similar to Adventure of Lolo or Kickle Cubicle...if those two games ring a bell, run, don't walk, this game is awesome and relaxing to play.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Aesops-Garden/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550373

Alawishus Pixel: This game is another NES style puzzle game but focused on pushing a block around obstacles, very, very well made and highly recommended if you like block pushing mind bending fun.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Alawishus-Pixel/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855055f

Platformance: Castle Pain: This is kind of like Castlevania: HoD where you start out zoomed out and can see the whole 'dungeon' at once, then you can zoom in for a closer look. It's made very well and it's probably not too hard, not too easy, without a doubt this game was overlooked.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/PLATFORMANCE-Castle-Pain/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585505cd

slash000 on

• duckolsduckols Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Hurray XBLIG!

I do a weekly video review round-up so I'll post those here to help give recommendations.

Here are the last 2 weeks of videos.

Weekly Xbox Indies - 9/3/2010
    Featured games:
    Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
    Gravitron360
    Codex
    Jump'n Bounce
    Run Rectangle! Jump! Shoot!
    Fish Squid Time Machine

Weekly Xbox Indies - 9/10/2010
    Featured Games:
    Radiangames Inferno
    Treasure Treasure: Fortress Forage Extra Edition
    Juggle!
    Jimbo Vs Legion of Darkness
    Jewel Dervish
    Techno Kitten Adventure

I'll have another video ready for Friday, so I'll post that when it's ready.

duckols on
  • XalteraxXalterax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glad to finally see one these! I helped quality control Hypership and its quite a game for the price tag. Hopefully this stays updated with only the good titles, as theres so many more questionable titles. Thanks for taking the time to start this!

To those that do check out Hypership - good luck beating mikebmcl once he gets home, he's very very good at the game. I know it was delayed for 2 weeks to make sure his scoreboards worked perfectly, so I can say for sure that part is working.

Still looking forward to Cthulu Saves the World myself. Can't wait! :whistle:

Xalterax on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    <3 XBLIG!

Accidentally bought Mama & Son yesterday (whoops), not played it yet though, maybe later!

And because I love them, here are some videos for XBLIGs I've been playing recently - watch them all you fence-sitters!

Radiangames Inferno is prety good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRb94wGg8wY

Thread needs more Platformance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMembtjfjI

Also, Zombie Estate is damned epic with a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyKQH04mQQ

Also, BoDVII is freaking great, but hey, we have a whole thread for that already!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of my favorite XBLIG games is Streets of Fury, which is a brawler a la Streets of Rage only with an extra helping of absurd and graphics that look like they came out the Sega CD/3DO FMV era. It's pretty hilarious and the combat is surprisingly deep.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XBL Indie Games make me sad. Some of them look interesting but you can't play them unless you're logged into XBL. My kids have profiles on my console but I don't want to make them accounts because they are too young (yes, I know, parental controls, but I don't even want their info in "the system" right now). So any game I would buy automatically half my household can't play. Anybody know why it is that MS put this policy into place? Because by making them work differently than arcade games they are losing my money. Maybe others.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XBL Indie Games make me sad. Some of them look interesting but you can't play them unless you're logged into XBL. My kids have profiles on my console but I don't want to make them accounts because they are too young (yes, I know, parental controls, but I don't even want their info in "the system" right now). So any game I would buy automatically half my household can't play. Anybody know why it is that MS put this policy into place? Because by making them work differently than arcade games they are losing my money. Maybe others.

The reason they do it this way is because otherwise they'd get in trouble with the ratings board. Games that are online-only can get away with not being officially rated. XBLIGs don't have official ratings (for starters, an official rating costs $800 even for a small game so it's way out of the budget of 95%+ of XBLIG devs).

Why can't they just play XBLIGs on your account? That's what my daughter does.

RainbowDespair on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did that one dude ever release the bird-flight-sim?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

No.

RainbowDespair on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I can't seem to find Protect Me Knight on the marketplace. Has it been removed?

urahonky on
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I can't seem to find Protect Me Knight on the marketplace. Has it been removed?

It's under the Japanese name. If you go under Top Rated, it should be easy to find.

RainbowDespair on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No.

Bummer, I was looking forward to it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Hung BunnyHung Bunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Doing 'Almost Again' by Strapping Young Lad on the top difficulty of Beat Hazard is probably in my top ten gaming moments ever, no joke.

Hung Bunny on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No.

Bummer, I was looking forward to it.

He said he's having real life issues right now and having to delay progress on the game "for several months."

slash000 on
    edited September 2010
    Just finished my Hypership Out of Control review.

http://zeboyd.com/2010/09/15/hypership-out-of-control-review/

In a word - awesome!

RainbowDespair on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Miner Dig Deep definitely deserves a mention in the OP

It's so simple and there's really no point but it's so fucking addictive

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah man MDD is awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah man MDD is awesome.

Red dead redemption and Alan Wake sat unplayed for a week as i played the heck out of miner dig deep.

frandelgearslip on
    edited September 2010
    Just finished my Hypership Out of Control review.

http://zeboyd.com/2010/09/15/hypership-out-of-control-review/

In a word - awesome!

OK that looks freaking sweet, will be buying this weekend, thanks for the review!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • duckolsduckols Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    My latest XBLIG review video. This video has:
    Mama & Son - Clean House
    Hypership Out of Control
    Abaddon: Retribution
    Snailien Invasion!
    Old School Adventure
    Action Arcade Wrestling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_udu-etpCHI

duckols on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Naked self interest time.

Hello gentlemengs! I created an educational game for XBLIG called Around The World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mQFxfpepM

The game quizzes you on geographical locations of varying difficulty. Four locations are available for you to quiz yourself on at any given moment, and there's kind of a Simon Says approach to hopping all over the world selecting the locations you know as fast as you can. Geographical quiz games aren't for everyone, but those that bought it and like it tend to really get into the laid back music and the unlockable travel photos.

Also! We have a bunch of PA forumers who have successfully released games, all of which I would gladly recommend:

Breath of Death VII ($1) by RainbowDespair and Slash000. This hardly needs introduction.
    Solar Hoops ($1) by Shawn Ryan. A quirky physics puzzler where you have to bounce meteors through a series of stars to get to the end goal.
    A Fading Melody ($3) by OremLK. A moody platformer with an unfolding story that belongs in a category along with Braid.
    Plows in Hell ($1) by Handkor. A game of survival where you skitter around on an ice sheet... in hell! Mwahaha
    Apple Jack ($1) by Trumpets. Mentioned in a post above, this is a quirky, cheery, uniformly excellent platformer.

What do these games all have in common? They're all less than $5! Most are $1!

Give us laundry money!

Any other forumers who have a game up there that I forgot, please let me know.

AlejandroDaJ on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for listing out those games and linking them, Alejandrodaj. I've got to check out all the games you've mentioned :^:

slash000 on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this where I can plug The Impossible Game?

The Impossible Game, for someone who likes twitch reactionary games, is a great way to spend $1.

UnbreakableVow on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Thanks for listing out those games and linking them, Alejandrodaj. I've got to check out all the games you've mentioned :^:

Blarg, I also forgot Ophidian War's: Opac's Journey by our own Small Cave Games ($1), but you've already got that listed in the OP.

AlejandroDaJ on
    edited September 2010
    so MommysBestGames, developer of the excellent Weapon of Choice and Shoot1Up, has just put out a press release for the new game:

It's called Explosionade, it sounds like it's a sort of single or cooperative, high score based "Challenge room" 2D action game where you enter the level and start trying to blow shit up as effectively as possible. It looks pretty impressive as all MBG games do. Should be hitting Peer Review soon-ish I believe.

Anyway I'll post the Press Release here:
    Explosionade_title_announce.png
    Explosionade. It's just like lemonade, but with EXPLOSIONS.

Our new game will be coming to Xbox Live Indie Games by September 25th 2010!*

All your friends are storming the Horronym Fortress but Colonel Bouche left you to guard the supply depot. Disregarding orders you open the depot to find a gigantic, prototype mech!

Features:
    INFILTRATE subterranean strongholds manned by cunning bipedal aliens and their mind-blasting hellions!

Recharging MegaNades, and an earth-shaking machine gun rip DESTRUCTIBLE environments to hand-drawn bits!

Dozens of CHALLENGE-ROOM style gameplay with a zoom function that let's in you close or zooms out to see all the action!

2-PLAYER COOP so you can share the alien-stomping, grenade tossing joy!

ONLINE High Scores to show off your skills!

Hand-drawn, silky-smooth effect animations just like Mom used to make! (If you're mom was SNK)

Explosionade should be out by the September 25th on XBLIG!

* Due to the review system for XBLIG games which don't allow for games to pass review, then enter a holding period, we simply have to submit the game for review. If it passes the game is suddenly released, if not, it has to wait a week, then we try again. We'd love to have it reviewed and finished, but the current system doesn't allow for this, so instead we're really certain it will be out this coming weekend (but anything can happen).

Explosionade_screen2.png

Explosionade_screen7.png

Explosionade_screen8.png

slash000 on
  • XalteraxXalterax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having play tested Explosionaid I can say that if you like any of MommysBestGames titles you will like Explosionaid. The levels are small and progressive, and save your progress. Your sort of descending the whole way. Bosses are done well and the game is very true to the same artform seen in their other games.

My list of personal favorite XBLIGs:

===$1.00===
    I Made a Game With Zombies In It!
    Breath of Death VII
    Hypership Out Of Control
    Shoot 1 Up
    Abaddon: Retribution
    radiangames Inferno
    radiangames JoyJoy
    The Impossible Game

===$3.00===
    Cthulu Saves the World (Not out yet, but I'm a fanboi at this point, its going to be.)
    radiangames Crossfire
    Weapon of Choice

===$5.00===
    Beat Hazard

These are games I've either directly play tested, or have actually bought for myself, or both. Most or all of these games have reviews and videos on multiple sites, in particular Zeboyd.com, gaygamer and indienerds.com all have reviews on most of these, in the event you happen to be curious. 8-)

Never tried miner dig deep - might need to rectify that from the comments here. o_O

Xalterax on
    edited September 2010
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xalterax wrote: »
    Never tried miner dig deep - might need to rectify that from the comments here. o_O

You'll start off thinking, "Man, what's the point"

And then you'll look at a clock and go, "Holy fuck I've been playing this game for 3 days without stopping"

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2010
    Man Slash that game looks quality!

Also I bought Hypership Out Of Control - it's pretty damned good!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • FunInfusedGamesFunInfusedGames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone mentioned "Your Doodles Are Bugged"? That's a pretty fun one. So is Arkedo Jump! (I really dig platformers).

There are many good games on the service. Problem is they're not always the easiest to find.

FunInfusedGames on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I bought Doodles right when it came out (think that was close to when the service launched).

It is a good one, and pretty unique too. Like a more creative versin of 'Lemmings'. Bloody tough though!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • paperinikpaperinik Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    latest preview of SheepNobi: way of the chainsaw a coming soon indie game.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/sheepnobi-way-of-the-chainsaw/350265

and a couple of screenshots

SheepNobi+2010-09-28+15-51-09-03.jpg

SheepNobi+2010-09-28+15-49-03-98.jpg

paperinik on
  • FunInfusedGamesFunInfusedGames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just thought I'd mention we released a new version of Hypership which is available on the marketplace now. Nothing major though, just a few graphical updates and bug fixes. If you haven't played it yet though, you should :)

FunInfusedGames on
    edited October 2010
    Well Explosionade is out if anyone was waiting for that!

Explosionade_screen2.png

slash000 on
    edited October 2010
    Here are a couple of games that are currently in playtesting that look promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40CqbOYfcQ&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3w4S6JcSP4&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: Also radiangames Crossfire just had a price drop (now 80 MS points) and a patch that better balances a few gameplay elements and adds a few new features like Arcade stick support.

RainbowDespair on
  • ChounardChounard Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Our second game, Bluebones' Curse, is now available on XBLIG. We're really proud of what we've created. It's a huge step up from our first game. I'd love to hear feedback.

You can read our ultra-serious press release here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIs87Bs8kJY

You can see more screenshots and download the demo on the Xbox marketplace here.

Chounard on
  • rlouiegamesrlouiegames Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Check out my new game "Cutouts!" on XBox Live Indie Games. The whole game is made from felt! All the art, programming, and music was made by me. You can download the demo or purchase the game here: Marketplace Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BZQ1XPxAE

Hope you like it!
    Rob

rlouiegames on
    edited October 2010
    The new Radiangames game is here - Radiangames Fluid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Rm9OAIf5Y

Good stuff. Kind of like a more puzzley Pac-Man. 80 MS points like all his other stuff (now that Crossfire has dropped in price).

RainbowDespair on
    edited October 2010
    Some news:

Word has it that Edge Magazine is running its own Top 20 XBLIG picks article this (or next?) month. The games said to be in its list are, in no particular order:

Ancient Trader
    Kodu
    I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMB1ES!!!1
    Flotilla
    Leave Home
    Text Zedventure
    Platformance
    Mithra - Episode 1: The Calling
    Apple Jack
    Arkedo Series 03 - Pixel!
    Miner Dig Deep
    Bailout!
    Trino
    Shoot1up
    Solar
    Sleepwalker
    Madrism
    Dysnomia
    Breath of Death VII

So yay! :)

In other news MS is going to launch a new version of its Games for Windows service and it is also rumored to have some sort of "indie" game section, but no word on precisely what that means.

slash000 on
    edited October 2010
    Awesome on both counts, really looking forward to thumbing through that EDGE article on the crapper, LOL.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg