As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
7XB7O.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSEHV8WE8A
The story is about Valbatose, a vampire who is leading a coup d’état in the Netherworld. Disgaea 4 has a huge evolution in graphics and an online mode. Perhaps, and this is total speculation, for a versus mode.

New sprites(finally), and a metric ton of crazy mechanics.

It's not Mao, but I like where this is going.

486_3.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will probably wind up buying, but it'd be nice if the protagonist looked less like a rehash.

Xagarath on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Something about the uniform reminds me of the Persona 3 protagonist.

This deeply disturbs me.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully they make use of the hardware this time around. At least give us HD sprites.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Prinny outfit girl is kinda cool.

HD sprites though, please.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Disgaea games are almost always instant buys for me for the PS2 and PS3 systems.

I just love TBS games and these were always so fun. I look forward to seeing what this new game brings to the table. HD sprites would be cool.

Need more TBS games, developers.

(I swear, if they redid D1 in a PS3 collection like they did God of War and the Ico/SotC collection, they could just have my wallet.)

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Money ready to spend! Look at the Prinny Action girl!

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So we're going vampires and werewolves this time around? Might be interesting...

Akilae on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now that I have figured out the secret (read: blindingly obvious in hindsight) to grinding after hours of Disgaea 3, I'm looking forward to this.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    neat. i played like 50 hours of D3, so i'll probably pick this one up too. the disgaea formula isnt quite as addictive to me as it used to be, but i still have massive affection for the series. i doubt i'll ever top the 150ish hours i put into D2, or even come close to that ever again.

Ah_Pook on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't finished 3. BecauseI haven't finished 1 or 2. I keep getting lost in item worlds or levelling or or or or and so on until I burn out on the game. I only ever get halfway through the plot.

I need to pinch my gf's psp for a few weeks and finish the main stories of 1 and 2.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TomKROOKTomKROOK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahh, just in time. I put almost 140 hours into the DS version of D1. I got about half way through D3, but looks like my weekends just cleared themselves up.

TomKROOK on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finished the *hell* out of Disgaea 1 on PS2 back in the day, I don't remember what my final timer on that game was... 200 hours? More? Something like that.

I've never been able to put the same kind of time into any of NIS' games since. Which is a shame, because I *love* the updated mechanics of Disgaea 2, especially with the Item World and such, but I don't like the cast nearly as much, which I think is a big part of it.

Dranyth on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't really get into the deep end of 3 like I did 2.

But I will still probably Day 1 this.

blaze_zero on
  • mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I knew it would happen eventually, but still/

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

mystic_knight on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still bitter about missing 3 because I couldn't afford a day 1 purchase.

The Anonymous on
  • mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still bitter about missing 3 because I couldn't afford a day 1 purchase.

I got my copy for about $17 recently. It's way cheap now.

mystic_knight on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still haven't finished 3. BecauseI haven't finished 1 or 2. I keep getting lost in item worlds or levelling or or or or and so on until I burn out on the game. I only ever get halfway through the plot.

I need to pinch my gf's psp for a few weeks and finish the main stories of 1 and 2.

This is why I don't do any crazy grinding or item world shenanigans until I beat the plot.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully they make use of the hardware this time around. At least give us HD sprites.

They mentioned a year or two back that their next PS3 game would be suited for the hardware quite a bit more than Disgaea 3. I still wouldn't expect it to have super hi-res sprites but I do think it'll look better than Disgaea 3.

Anyway, I skipped Disgaea 2 and 3 (though still bought 2 figuring I'd get around to it... Never did) but I think I'm ready to jump back on the Disgaea train again. Looking forward to it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I loved the first one, bought the second one since I'm in it but never got much into it. Keep thinking about buying the third.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2 is the best, IMO. 3 has some of what made 2 great, but not all of it, which is O_o in my book. Too many weird mechanic updates.

The classroom stuff is neat, but having to buy new skills straight up sucks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    I just noticed, the new protagonist is an X-Man.

By the way, Disgaea 3 is my first and I'd like to know whether I keep everything if I go new game+. I want to try for some of the alternate endings, but I don't want to lose the side characters I've accumulated by completing the extra maps.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep, just about everything carries over, aside from story additions(at least this was true of 2).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Story additions? So I would have to rerecruit, say, Almaz?

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully I'll be able to play Disgaea 4. I'd love to support NI, but they really aren't meeting me halfway with anything they've made lately besides the Phantom Brave port.

jothki on
    edited September 2010
    Story updates!
    The story is about Valbatose, a vampire who is leading a coup d’état in the Netherworld. Disgaea 4 has a huge evolution in graphics and an online mode. Perhaps, and this is total speciation, for a versus mode.
    Story additions? So I would have to rerecruit, say, Almaz?

Yep.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Oh. Well, wouldn't I then have to recruit the extra map characters? Since they all appear after the game is over and I kinda wanted to go through the plot with them all reincarnated at level one.

edited September 2010
    Not sure, but I think they stick around?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    I guess I'll just have to find out then. Thank you, though.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice. Hopefully I'll own a PS3 by the time the game gets a US release. Oh, but I suppose I'd have to get Disgaea 3 as well :D

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cross Edge burned me out on NIS games, though I know it was different than the Disgaea line. I've had a decent break though so maybe I'll pick this one up.

Ranadiel on
    edited September 2010
    Cross Edge wasn't made by NIS, so I wouldn't blame them too much for that.

Idea Hacktory made that one, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Disgaea online mode?

Well, huh, I guess I could see that...two or more teams going at it on a field, turn based style...

Hmmm....

Now, I really liked the improvements they made in the mechanics and animation in D2. But, frankly, I really liked the non-grid nature of Phantom Brave, so part of me hopes that's in there too.

All in all, I'm very curious and look forward to more information, screen shots, and video when it becomes available.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited September 2010
    Graphics update has me interested.

Antihippy on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, when I saw that OP, I thought the main character WAS Laharl, having finally entered his teenage years. That might be a neat concept; exploring the original game characters from a new perspective. Sadly, the PS3 is still the only modern console I don't own, so this will be a while for me.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    But, frankly, I really liked the non-grid nature of Phantom Brave, so part of me hopes that's in there too.

I doubt that will ever happen. I assume that Disgaea will always have a grid, and any future alternate series probably will not.

jothki on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't really imagine a vs mode working well in Disgaea.

Well, unless they fix up the damage calculations so that defense actually works.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Graphics update has me interested.

Rumours of them dropping sprites for polygons has me scared.

Hopefully they fix the difficulty curve this time. D3 was... Eh.

Sankaku (NSFW, not linked) is claiming a Feb 24th release in Japan. No word on a US release, hope we... hahaha, yeah right. We'll probably see it around August 2011 (6 months, it took them 7 to do D3) unless they're going to do a simultaneous development/localization thing.

KiTA on
    edited September 2010
    Antihippy on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    Aroduc on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, TGS is breaking my bank this year. That trailer was great.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX