As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the new Aqualad.

MastaP on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    How can Larfleeze be assembling a Christmas swag-bag and not have a Wii in there?

Totally thought Glomulus was rocking a Guitar Hero controller at first (I play too many video games...). He's like the Slimer of Green Lantern characters...

Maybe it's the Rock Band Pro guitar!

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    I like the new Aqualad.

He's not bad. I picked up BD#10 just to check in on it, and while I could care less about Firestorms, Aqualad and his dad had a nice scene. Here's hoping his adopted family doesn't die just to give him grief and tragedy, since they could be a good thing to help ground him as he becomes a hero.

TexiKen on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Is this the GL thread? or the BN thread? Both?

Either way, picked up a random GL trade called Willworld and it's fucking crazy.

Wicked art in it though.

I love Willworld. The artist also did a Flash book called "Time Flies."

Lux on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    I love Willworld. The artist also did a Flash book called "Time Flies."
    I want DC to put out an Omnibus, titled The Complete Seth Fisher (Why the Fuck Did This Dude Have to Fall Off a Skyscraper?)

Munch on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    MastaP wrote: »
    I like the new Aqualad.

He's not bad. I picked up BD#10 just to check in on it, and while I could care less about Firestorms, Aqualad and his dad had a nice scene. Here's hoping his adopted family doesn't die just to give him grief and tragedy, since they could be a good thing to help ground him as he becomes a hero.

Honestly, I think if his parents were going to die, they would have died in one of the THREE fakeouts in this issue. As it stand we have a character with THREE present father figures, it's like if Luke had Uncle Owen, Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader all hanging around him at the same time.

I find that hilarious and interesting. We'll see how it ends up going

MastaP on
    edited September 2010
    GLC #52

Boodikka seemingly kills Hank Henshaw as his Cyborg body was destroyed by the GL's, and he tried to hide in her power battery, but her willpower was too strong.

And now the Alpha Lanterns are fixed to have the emotions they had before the change, so they are more like their original self.

And Boodikka and Ganthet are nowHonor Guards, so it looks like them plus John and Kyle will be the main GLC group

TexiKen on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GLC #52

Boodikka seemingly kills Hank Henshaw as his Cyborg body was destroyed by the GL's, and he tried to hide in her power battery, but her willpower was too strong.

And now the Alpha Lanterns are fixed to have the emotions they had before the change, so they are more like their original self.

And Boodikka and Ganthet are nowHonor Guards, so it looks like them plus John and Kyle will be the main GLC group

Interesting. Very interesting. Not a bad mix, but GLC works with a good ensemble but I'm worried that Kyle and John are getting sidelined for Ganthet and the others. Emerald Warrior seems to carry over more of the plots I was following.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited October 2010
    So in Emerald Warriors #3 we get the premise of what Guy's mission actually is, not really MOTW material but I'll post the scans here:

glew3a.jpg

glew3b.jpg

glew3c.jpg

glew3d.jpg

And Sodam is seen as a god on Daxam, and the crazy villain with eye eating snakes, he's using those telepaths to subliminally control rookie lanterns, to make them less fearful and more heroic than normal, for some plan.

And also he's cloned all those telepaths and has a bunch of birthing matrixes.

TexiKen on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah Emerald Warriors #3 certainly worked hard to advance that plot and push Emerald Warriors into relevant territory. Definitely much improved over the first two issues.

One thing that annoyed me in GL #58 was the redesigns of Green Lanterns Voz and Larvox. Mahnke changed the way they look to match their Green Lantern movie counterparts and they are kind of gross and stupid looking now.

Rans on
    edited October 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me in GL #58 was the redesigns of Green Lanterns Voz and Larvox. Mahnke changed the way they look to match their Green Lantern movie counterparts and they are kind of gross and stupid looking now.

I saw what you mean, Voz looks like a muppet who swallowed a sour candy. And since Gleason is his art desk buddy, it probably was a movie forced decision. And they misspelled his name too (callin' him Vox, what the hell). And Salaak knows what R&R is, he totally spent time on that beach planet resort and stole those robot furries from Guy in GLC #5 & 6.

But that means Bzzt will be coming back, right?

TexiKen on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Both Emerald Warriors this week and Brightest Day last week have gotten me much more interested in what's going on, so that's a plus. Green Lantern itself was good as well. The scene with Sinestro and Atrocitus was awesome (and is apparently going to cause problems for Hal down the line). The plot thickens!
    Really not sure that I should be this happy about having Nekron and the Black Lanterns back so soon, but damn it if that scene wasn't awesome. Very curious about the Black Lantern forest appearing on Mars, too.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really need to get caught up on these books. They were the reason I got back into comics, but they're also the event I was following closest, so when things started getting busy for me I put down the whole set of Brightest Day/GL stuff first.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2010
    i really enjoyed GREEN LANTERN CORPS #53

Bedard has certainly hit his stride and it didn't hurt to get Adrian Syaf's low effort art out of here. Kirkham's is similar in style to Syaf's but you can tell he wasn't rushed and I like the way he does faces.

The dialogue was good and the story was somewhat dense with developments. Kyle sounded like Kyle which was rare even under Tomasi. I'm excited to see where this is going. You can tell that this is the story Bedard has been eager to get to and was just treading water with the Alpha Lantern issues.

My only complaint is that apparently no one told the colorist that the people of Korugar have purple/red skin. He got it right on Soranik and Sinestro but the random Korugarian citizens looked like they were from an American city.

Rans on
    edited November 2010
    War of the Green Lanterns a 3 month event through all GL books
    From REBIRTH to SINESTRO CORPS to BLACKEST NIGHT, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner have stood by each other and fought together to save our universe. After all that, what could possibly tear them apart? We’ll find out in WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS starting in March’s WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS #1 and throughout the Green Lantern titles in March, April and May. Every Green Lantern is about to be tested — and tested against one another.

Starting with this issue, 2011 becomes the year of Green Lantern, and we’re kicking it off with the shocking conclusion to “New Guardians”! Hal Jordan and Sinestro must make a great sacrifice in an attempt to protect the entities. But the future of Hal Jordan and the Corps falls into doubt when they’re betrayed by one of their own! The drums are beating, the tensions are rising and the upcoming WAR OF THE GREEN LANTERNS is set to ignite!

I get the movie is coming up in 6 months, but another event less than a year after Blackest Night, on top of Brightest Day, this is a bit too much (and wasn't 2010 the year of the GL too?).

I kind of like each GL book kind of doing its own thing, and being enough to separate it from one another. And each book's sales are really strong too.

TexiKen on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They've been setting this up already, though. Guy is apparently going to do something he thinks is going to turn everybody against him. It's why he makes a recording in Emerald Warriors 1, and in whatever issue that is where he meets with Ganthet and Atrocitus he says he and Hal ain't gonna be pals after their plan is done.

The GL books have been doing this since Johns did Rebirth pretty much. Event, buildup, Event, buildup, event... Would've happened even if there was no movie.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't see this elsewhere yet...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/greenlantern/

I am Jack's seething anger.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    I didn't see this elsewhere yet...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/greenlantern/

I am Jack's seething anger.

Really? It wasn't that bad. The CGI costume still looks a little off, but hopefully it's one of those things that we get used to.

Lux on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am not sure what to think about that trailer.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, could be cool. I like Ryan Reynolds perfectly well, though some of the supporting cast either sucks, or was really heavily cut for exposition.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2010
    Alright, watched it a few times.

1. Costume - Looks a bit too CG-ish... I really wish they'd gone with a physical costume. Something about the lighting on it isn't quite right.
    2. I count at least 2 people in the trailer that know his secret identity already. That seems... odd.
    3. I know I'm a nerd for saying it, but the Abin Sur crash location is all wrong. Minor issue.
    4. The fist however, looked great. I am liking the ring effects I've seen so far.

My biggest concern... we're seeing so much in that trailer, and yet, I have no idea whether the movie will be good or bad. I'm not exactly sure why that is. Maybe the pacing is off. It just seems like a jumble of GL related scenes.

MuddBudd on
    edited November 2010
    seems like it is straying pretty far from Hal's standard character to make some drama ("I'm not fearless!!")

hector hammond looks ridiculous and the costume, especially the mask, looks off

it could be that Green Lantern just doesn't translate to live action, entirely possible. the trailer doesn't say anything about what the story of the movie is, either, which suggests that the story isn't its strong suit.

Rans on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it kind of seems like it's combining Kyle's personality with Hal's job.

Doesn't look bad though. It seems like the kind of thing tailor-made for an adolescent/teen audience. Like, I remember seeing (and loving) Men in Black and Independence Day as a kid. I think this is going to be that kind of movie, for this generation.

Munch on
    edited November 2010
    They had to do that because Kyle is a way more appealing personality.

Also, I think part of the weirdness of the costume is that they seem to be trying to make it a more organic-looking extension of the body. It is extremely "tight," in the way you would think a super advanced spacesuit would be, but the human body just looks all weird and lanky without the nice cuts of clothing to accentuate its features. It literally just seems to coat the body of it's the ringbearer, I think I even saw Ryan's stomach move as he laughed.

Lux on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks cool, pretty pumped for Green Lantern. Also the costume looks fine, it only seems wierd because it is a skintight suit made of material which glows, something I don't think I've ever seen before. The CGI is fine, Ryan Reynolds is great as always, Blake Lively dull but I can put up with that because Reynolds screen presence makes up for it easily.

Solar on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it's less a costume and more an extension of his will, which is an interesting thing for the movie. No one can fault them for lack of ambition.

Bloods End on
    edited November 2010
    The trailer doesn't say anything about what the story of the movie is, either, which suggests that the story isn't its strong suit.

This. That's the feeling I get here. I can't tell if it's the movie though, or just shitty editing.

MuddBudd on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The trailer doesn't say anything about what the story of the movie is, either, which suggests that the story isn't its strong suit.

This. That's the feeling I get here. I can't tell if it's the movie though, or just shitty editing.

It may be a while before we get a non-sequel superhero movie that isn't primarily about 'I'm this other guy now and I don't know if I can live up to it.'

Linespider5 on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it's the mask that is annoying me more than the suit, in fact. He looks a lot better without it on.

Wildcat on
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Remember, Green Lantern suits aren't actual clothing. They are hard light constructs, just as everything else they make. All the "clothing damage" in the comics, fanservice aside, is pretty much the GL's concentrating on things other than their clothing.

GL #59:
    Holy shit.

Holy shit

Indigo Lanterns? Not good people. The stuff done to Black Hand? It wiped out his original personality and turned it into something else. Not only that, it's done to every Indigo Lantern, because every Indigo Lantern was originally a horrible person and "reborn" as an Indigo. Those necklaces aren't necklaces, those are neck-chains.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In current news I'd like to nominate pre-white ring Boston Brand and Ronnie Raymond as co-holders of the title "Biggest Douche".

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited November 2010
    Is that indian guy supposed to be Pieface?

MuddBudd on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    Remember, Green Lantern suits aren't actual clothing. They are hard light constructs, just as everything else they make. All the "clothing damage" in the comics, fanservice aside, is pretty much the GL's concentrating on things other than their clothing.

GL #59:
    Holy shit.

Holy shit

Indigo Lanterns? Not good people. The stuff done to Black Hand? It wiped out his original personality and turned it into something else. Not only that, it's done to every Indigo Lantern, because every Indigo Lantern was originally a horrible person and "reborn" as an Indigo. Those necklaces aren't necklaces, those are neck-chains.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Black Hand was the black entity. At least that's what we were told at the beginning of Blackest Night by Scar. If so . . .
    wouldn't putting an indigo ring on Hand's finger be about as useless as putting a green ring (or a bunch of green rings) on Parallax's finger?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited November 2010
    MisterBibs wrote: »

GL #59:
    Holy shit.

Holy shit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Black Hand was the black entity. At least that's what we were told at the beginning of Blackest Night by Scar. If so . . .
    wouldn't putting an indigo ring on Hand's finger be about as useless as putting a green ring (or a bunch of green rings) on Parallax's finger?

He was just a channel for Necron, and even then it only really kicked into gear when he died.

MuddBudd on
    edited November 2010
    One thing that was interesting with Brightest Day #14 was that
    Bruce remembers Max Lord, since he wasn't here when Lord did the mind wipe.

TexiKen on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One thing that was interesting with Brightest Day #14 was that
    Bruce remembers Max Lord, since he wasn't here when Lord did the mind wipe.
    I think it also had something to do when the white ring was spouting off the names of the resurrected while it was his finger

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay guys, I need you to level with me for a moment: I was reading through my Batman comics today and kept seeing ads for the first Brightest Day hardcover which comes out next month. After I found myself disappointed by Blackest Night (and really turned off by some Brightest Day scans I saw, I'll admit), I decided not to pick up BD at all except for Justice League: Generation Lost. But I'll admit... I'm kind of curious, especially since I've also been very let down by Marvel's Heroic Age, which I thought I would follow after Blackest Night. Think I should bite the bullet and check it out?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2010
    The first couple of issues were the roughest. I quit reading with #4, because it got to be too much with everyone being a jerkface and blood and gore.

I picked up #10 to see the new Aqualad, and that issue was rather nice, as it was primarily his issue, and not broken up with other characters outside of Firestorm.

Are you enjoying Generation Lost, even after the last two issues? If you like that I think you might like Brightest Day as well.

TexiKen on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nope.

It's kind of just a straight continuation of Blackest Night, except with the people who got brought back to life. It's not lighter in tone or content.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    But... maybe I was too hard on Blackest Night. I mean, I did think it was kind of fun, just stupid.

I don't know, I just want me some new epic-scope DCU stuff, I guess.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png