As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[APB] MMO world record broken

DTtheLEGENDDTtheLEGEND Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
All points bulletin, a third person MMO for the pc has just dethroned SEED
as the shortest lived MMO to date.

Lasting only 79 days, this game (in my opinion) had great potential.
It sported one of the most extensive character creators to date as well as
the ability to customize your vehicle and the articles of clothing.

Before this, the game SEED lasted nearly twice as long, putting in a day count of

So what went wrong with APB?
Well coming from someone who was in the beta tests, I can tell you there were a number of factors.
The missions were mostly similar. There was little consideration for those who like to play alone.
The clothes system for unlocking items was too confusing. The overall UI was not too friendly.

Moreover, the advertised product and expectations were completely different from the actual game.

As a person who enjoyed the experiment, I can only hope that the character creator system surfaces
somewhere in a future game.

Source of new record: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/4549/page/2

DTtheLEGEND on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All anyone ever says is that the character customization was great. They usually neglect the game part.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Blizzard should accept refugees, allow you to import your characters to WoW. It's only the humanitarian thing to do.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TyrantCow on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

counter-productive marketing
    broke-ass beta (from what i've heard)

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All anyone ever says is that the character customization was great. They usually neglect the game part.

To be fair, so did Realtime Worlds.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What went wrong with Realtime Worlds is that they made APB instead of Crackdown 2.

APB was/is fun it just didn't work right 99% of the time and they never made the effort to fix it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wow 79 days. i feel bad for the devs who spent years coding and making models for the game to be declared dead that soon

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    • Budget of around $100 million, coupled with a business plan that made it effectively impossible for the game to turn a profit
    • MMO minus the "massively" part... with a monthly fee attatched anyways
    • Lost goodwill when they inadvertently let people think it would be microtransaction-based without a monthly fee and didn't correct that misconception until close to launch
    • Clunky UI made major elements like the customization system - the game's main selling point - frustrating and inscrutable
    • Repetitive gameplay with floaty driving physics and shallow combat revolving around an anemic mission system
    • No support after launch, coupled with the developer imploding, made people realize that the game was DOA
    • Did I mention the hundred million dollar budget?

gtrmp on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It also ran horrendously, in the beta anyway.

Constant, 20-30 second long hitches, massive pop in and it wasn't even that great looking.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god dammit. I bought this on steam, downloaded and installed it but didn't have a chance to play yet. I was thinking last night I should fire it up and see what's going on in APB. Fuck.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Oh god dammit. I bought this on steam, downloaded and installed it but didn't have a chance to play yet. I was thinking last night I should fire it up and see what's going on in APB. Fuck.
    Hopefully the server software will either be made available, or someone will reverse-engineer it and create an open-source server project.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People fussed at me for shooting holes in this game while it was in beta. I don't feel bad saying I told you so.

I feel terrible for the poor guys who spent their time making this.Not so much for the players that spent their money. The information, players experiences and problems were out there for anyone to read but as people are apt to do, they only see what they want to.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/17/apb-review-embargo-set-week-after-release/

They knew their game was horrid and were trying to trick people into buying it with their flashy trailers and screenshots before any informed them of the aforementioned garbage.

Also this:
    Eurogamer: Do you expect APB to turn you a profit in the long-term?

Dave Jones: In the long-term yes, absolutely. We always knew the first thing was to get this thing launched, get all the technology in place, get a fun game in place. Just like any game really, sometimes it takes the second, maybe even the third, like GTA, before you deliver on everything you want to do. It's just about making sure we have a good fan base to go along with us this as we do that.

WHOOPSIE

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Eating Your Babies

That's one major design fault that they failed to see in beta due to developer blindness.

Echo on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »

So much fail in this article. What a downer.
    We had a deep fear of letting anyone find out anything about our game until the last possible minute. “Release early and iterate”, a proven success model for online software, was anathema to RTW. We would constantly find ways to avoid showing features off or talking openly about the product. Press interest was built by incredibly elaborately-constructed demos, choreographed with clockwork precision. Our team of QA ninjas trained night and day so as to be able to act out the same scripted combat scenario on demand (they were actually pretty impressive to watch doing this!). At first, the press would just watch these sessions as examples of “live” gameplay. Later, they’d be allowed to join in, but would be so outnumbered by our staff that they would be forced to stay on the rails of our script.
    Our best attempts to interact with the outside world were when we occasionally let some of our QA and development staff loose on the forums and in-game.

The really sad part is that, more often than not, we prevented or discouraged such people from helping out by building these bizarre internal divisions between groups. I think this was a misguided attempt to imitate how other big online games run things. For example, I once heard one of our fine QA staff being berated for – wait for it – emailing a summary of forum activity around QA. This guy had gone through every single forum post looking for complaints that might signify bugs, and summarised it in a plan of action for the QA team to investigate further. Commendable stuff indeed, but here he was, being told that ONLY OUR DEDICATED COMMUNITY TEAM were allowed to summarise forum activity for others (usually in the form of a number from 1-100 representing how favourable forum feedback was that week. Never found out how they computed that or what we were supposed to do with it.)
    But these are all problems that successful games have. We had a different problem – engaging with our community and getting people to give a shit about our product – and all these rules and divisions just got in the way :cry::cry::cry:.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know it's tradition to laugh at this sort of shit, and I sorta did, but the reality is some people have lost jobs over this. And those that remain are going to have this as a sort of bad mark on their resume.

$100 million budget, Jesus jumped-up Christ. Where'd that money go?!

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait a minute, all their press stuff - even hands on - was all scripted, on-rails bullshit? Okay, now I know where the money went.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    http://www.thehumanavatar.com/stage/1

Bet he's regretting those tattoo's now.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know it's tradition to laugh at this sort of shit, and I sorta did, but the reality is some people have lost jobs over this. And those that remain are going to have this as a sort of bad mark on their resume.

That one article went into it. They hired several hundred people and managers for them and managers for the managers and so on. I'm not surprised they burned through a hundred million with a corporate atmosphere like that.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeesh, it didn't even make three months. Kinda crazy, regardless of all the things they clearly did wrong.

Babble on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    private servers already exist and are stable. Get an install dl'd while you can.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The way they managed interaction with people outside the company was one thing, but holy fuck that internal bullshit that was going is incredible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The mission statement for RTW that he posted was pure comedy gold. Even the writer couldn't believe how ironic it sounded.
    If you’re looking for your first job in games, it’s worth thinking very carefully about your future employer. Do you want to work on jaded, derivative titles that receive scathing reviews and go straight to the bargain bin? Do you want to work large amounts of unpaid overtime because your project is underfunded and poorly managed? Do you want to work on codebases that are messy and poorly-designed because there’s never time to do things properly? Do you want to live in fear of your company’s financial security?

It’s sad that these and other games industry horror stories are more frequent than they should be, but it’s not like that here. We only work on original, ambitious projects: our first title, Crackdown, was a number-one hit, winning critical acclaim and multiple awards, and our best is yet to come, beginning with our first online game, APB. And while making games is great fun, we take our work seriously. We pride ourselves on our unusually sensible, sustainable and professional development practices, resulting in smoothly-run projects and far less overtime than is normal for many game developers. We’re passionate about engineering and crafting our games to the highest of standards. We cultivate an open working environment where ideas are valued on their own merits, no matter whose they are. The growth of our company and size of our projects allows us to provide a wide range of opportunities. And the investment we’ve raised puts us in a strong financial position with security and creative control over our projects.

Wowzers.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Do you want to work on an online game that will go the way of the dinosaur in 3 months?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Do you want to work on an online game that will go the way of the dinosaur in 3 months?

$100 million of dusty shelf material, forgotten artwork and deleted, forgotten about customization.

Poof.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

$100 million of dusty shelf material, forgotten artwork and deleted, forgotten about customization.

Poof.

Oh man that has to suck. So much unused art that was meant to be rolled out in future content updates, never gonna see the light of day, and you can't use it elsewhere because it is under this IP's ownership and you got laid the fuck off.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel like with this much money going down the drain for so crappy a product, somebody ought to be getting investigated for fraud.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Anyone who looked at the game in beta and seriously thought "Yeah, this is good to launch in a month." got what they deserved. "Release and iterate" does not work in the unforgiving MMO market. I guess those millions didn't tell you want many of us know as fairly common knowledge.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bonus crazy: on the game's site, the news post from yesterday is still up. It talks about a major content update coming today.

Ooops.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Anyone who looked at the game in beta and seriously thought "Yeah, this is good to launch in a month." got what they deserved. "Release and iterate" does not work in the unforgiving MMO market. I guess those millions didn't tell you want many of us know as fairly common knowledge.

Hell, I never thought the game looked very good or interesting and once it was released and people started talking about it all I could think was, "Uh-oh, those poor bastards spent money on this game and it's nearly DOA."

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel like with this much money going down the drain for so crappy a product, somebody ought to be getting investigated for fraud.
    $100 million? It's either fraud or money-laundering.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't go that far. They probably just spent it REALLY REALLY BADLY.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One does need a Platnum case to go with the Platnum keyboard with Ruby keys.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Was it Daikatana or DNF that spent the budget on super nice office supplies?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh I was so psyched for this game back in 2009. A GTA mmo? How could this POSSIBLY go wrong.

Turns out like this.

It's a damn shame too, I loved the character creator, ended up making some really cool looking characters in the beta and while it clearly wasn't a good game, it was a lot of fun cruising around in my customized car with three other people arresting fools during the play sessions they had.

Of course, once it was announced it was not receiving a retail release in Australia i lost interest. Good thing too apparently.

Anyways here's to APB, which if anything else will hopefully stand as a cautionary tale to other developers that bells and whistles do not a popular game make, fun and balanced gameplay does.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    DNF was self-financed until later on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Daikatana. They got a big ass office with some sort movie theater in it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

One of the first things that struck me when I got into beta was how little content there was - just 2.5 zones and missions that started repeating within a few hours. But I could deal with that when I thought the game was free. I could've dealt with a lot for a game that was f2p.

But when they announced that it would cost almost as much as a standard MMO - for a game with as much total content as, like, the first five hours in any of the other MMOs I've played like CoX, LotRO or WoW, that was it for me. It was barely worth the box price as it was.

Scooter on
  • Options
    senekuseneku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »

So much fail in this article. What a downer.
    Our best attempts to interact with the outside world were when we occasionally let some of our QA and development staff loose on the forums and in-game.

The really sad part is that, more often than not, we prevented or discouraged such people from helping out by building these bizarre internal divisions between groups. I think this was a misguided attempt to imitate how other big online games run things. For example, I once heard one of our fine QA staff being berated for – wait for it – emailing a summary of forum activity around QA. This guy had gone through every single forum post looking for complaints that might signify bugs, and summarised it in a plan of action for the QA team to investigate further. Commendable stuff indeed, but here he was, being told that ONLY OUR DEDICATED COMMUNITY TEAM were allowed to summarise forum activity for others (usually in the form of a number from 1-100 representing how favourable forum feedback was that week. Never found out how they computed that or what we were supposed to do with it.)

Yep, loved how we were given the job of moderating the forums etc then told off when we actually did it, that was the point when I knew they'd lost the plot...I stopped posting around that time when that happened and when another was given a bollocking for trying to cut down on the amount of flaming and crap that was going on in the forum community, we were the only ones active on the forums and trying to help but we were given zero support at best.

I'm not gonna really go onto the subject much as obviously many others already have and the general feelings of mismanagement are known. What I will say is that nothing in any of the reviews should have came as a surprise to all but the most blinded of them, QA fed back on it constantly, lots of the people internally did so as well and lets not forget the beta players providing tons of feedback as well...instead of actioning changes they simply ploughed on ahead regardless. If I blame anyone for this mess its the Designers and management that had locked in their overall structure years ago and refused to change the game until it was far too late.

seneku on
    -=Seneku=-
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Daikatana. They got a big ass office with some sort movie theater in it.

The Ion Storm studio was legendary. I think I still have an old issue of Next Generation that describes it. It was on the top floor of the JPMorgan Chase Tower. It had a movie theatre. I think a sauna. An exercise room or two. Showers. A fucking dojo, for like, actually practicing judo and karate.

RTW may have choked to death on their own bureaucracy, but Ion Storm just burned piles of money for heat.

a puddle on