As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley...Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Nfshp-2010-cover.jpg
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a 2010 racing video game in development by Criterion Games and published by Electronic Arts for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. A version for Wii is also developed by Exient. The game will support 3D-display output on PlayStation 3 and Windows. Hot Pursuit has been described as a "revolutionary" addition to the Need for Speed franchise and is scheduled for release in North America on November 16, 2010, and in Europe on November 19.

Gameplay

Hot Pursuit goes back to the Need for Speed series' roots and takes on the gameplay style of earlier "Hot Pursuit"-titles in the Need for Speed franchise with exotic cars and high-speed police chases. It is primarily inspired by the original Need for Speed on 3DO. Hot Pursuit lets the player play as either a cop or a racer and will feature a full career mode for both roles. The relationship between the cops and racers is described as "a dog chasing down a rabbit" with the cops being more powerful compared to the racers. Each side has several power-ups including calling for roadblocks and radar jamming. Hot Pursuit also features a new social interaction system called "Autolog" described as "Facebook for the game". The game features both single-player and multiplayer game modes with up to eight players; as an option to live multiplayer racing, player can post records and achievements on the Autolog-feed for friends to see, which they then can try to beat. Autolog also contains an experience system called "Bounty". So far the only game mode revealed is "Interceptor 1 vs 1", where one cop chases one racer, but more game modes are to be revealed. Other features include the player being able to add custom soundtracks to the game.

Cars

The driving model of the game is described as "fun and accessible". It is not as arcade-styled as Burnout Paradise, but far from a simulator. All cars in Hot Pursuit are licensed real-world supercars, and the carlist is described as "all the cars you dreamed of driving, in the way you dreamed of driving them". Most cars will be available to both racers and cops, but a few will be exclusive to each side. Also exclusively featured in the Hot Pursuit is the Porsche 918 Spyder. Ferrari however, last seen in a Shift DLC-pack but notably absent from all other Need for Speed games since Hot Pursuit 2, will also be absent from Hot Pursuit. The Lamborghini Reventón will be the only type of Lamborghini available as a cop car, and exclusive for the Cops.

Setting

Hot Pursuit takes place in fictional location called Seacrest County. It is entirely open-world and features over 100 miles (160 km) of open road and, as a reference, it is four times larger than Paradise City, the city of Burnout Paradise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Hot_Pursuit_(2010_video_game)

Here is the official info about the demo, as it will give you perks for the full game when it releases:
In the Need for Speed Hot Pursuit demo, players will be able to chase as a cop in the Dark Horse Hot Pursuit event, speeding through the coastal highway and mountainous ridges of Seacrest County. At the heart of the demo is a social network called Autolog that tracks cop and racer performances while playing solo and uses those statistics to generate fierce competition between friends. Once players add a friend to their Need for Speed friends list, the second event will unlock called Roadsters Reborn, where gamers can compete as racers to set the best times. When they download and play the demo they will also earn 500 bounty award points in the full game for both Cop and Racer career. Accruing bounty will allow players to unlock events and exotic cars and progress through their careers in the full game.

The Need for Speed Hot Pursuit demo will be available for download October 26 on Xbox LIVE(TM) Marketplace worldwide and the PlayStation(R)Network in North America and on October 27 on the PlayStation Network in Europe. The retail game will be available on November 16 in North America and on November 18 and 19 in Europe on the Xbox 360(R) videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and PC. The Limited Edition can be pre-ordered now on all platforms to gain exclusive content at no extra cost, with participating retailers worldwide (while supplies last). Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will also be available on the Wii(TM) and is being developed by Exient.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
PSN - Brainiac_8
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
Add me!
Brainiac 8 on

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/13358

Here is Gametrailer's collection of videos for the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inspired by the OG Need for Speed for the 3DO, eh? Hell, I don't think a lot of people realize the series even went back that far.

Are the races (I'm assuming there's gonna be some regular-ass races) going to be cordoned off sections of the world ala Most Wanted or is it going to be completely open like Paradise? Because the latter got real old to me after the nth race from point A to point B.

All I know is that seeing a screenshot of a Veyron police car was about the most ridiculous and awesome thing.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2010
    They have said that the races will be sectioned off and not the way Paradise handled races.

Not sure which I'll like more, but I see how it would make the races a bit more bearable at times.

I like the the open world aspect is being revisited though, as I love just goofing around Paradise City with friends online.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait.

Goddamn I love Burnout, the properly competitive online looks awesome too.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    They have said that the races will be sectioned off and not the way Paradise handled races.

Not sure which I'll like more, but I see how it would make the races a bit more bearable at times.

I like the the open world aspect is being revisited though, as I love just goofing around Paradise City with friends online.

Sounds bitchin'. The first NFS game I played was actually NFS3 (the original '98 Hot Pursuit), so confusing-ass title aside, I'm down.

Zxerol on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So they aren't even bothering to come up with new names now? Has the NFS series really fallen so far?

The Deliverator on
    edited September 2010
    They are using Criterion to reboot the franchise. I'm willing to have faith in the product, considering how utterly awesome a job they did with Burnout Paradise.

The franchise has been mostly dead for quite a while, but it looks like they are hoping that Criterion can bring the series back to it's glory days.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2010
    So they aren't even bothering to come up with new names now? Has the NFS series really fallen so far?

It's NFS in name only really.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If this is half as good as Most Wanted and/or Burnout Revenge (I never tried Paradise, kinda wish I did) then I will be a happy man. I was burnt after Carbon, but consider me hyped for this game.

Also, this needs to be posted:

Most Wanted Ending (spoilers)

Cross is awesome, goddamn I loved those cheesy cutscenes. I take it they aren't back in this game?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010

The series have gone through so many different iterations and styles that it's kinda hard to figure out what exactly is an NFS game is anyway. It's almost like the Final Fantasy of racing games.

Of course, you can assert the series ended at Porsche Unleashed or something and be done with it.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

The series have gone through so many different iterations and styles that it's kinda hard to figure out what exactly is an NFS game is anyway. It's almost like the Final Fantasy of racing games.

Of course, you can assert the series ended at Porsche Unleashed or something and be done with it.

But then we wouldn't have Underground 2 :(

mere_immortal on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa

criterion is making this? I've been like "oh NFS has sucked since Most Wanted, this won't be any good" but Criterion?

fuck yes.

Senshi on
  • elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Burnout Revenge was my go-to multiplayer game on the 360 for quite a long time. Paradise was lots of fun, but I missed the close circuit races from Revenge. From what I can gather, NFS: HP marries them --- closed circuit races, while taking a lot of things from Paradise that made that game lots of fun (particularly being informed of when friends beat your records on particular drags).

Criterion is, by far, my favorite racer developer. I'm definitely excited about this one.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hot Pursuit was always my favorite Need for Speed game

But I only ever played a little bit of it

I don't generally go in for racing games, except for Burnout, so this game being made by Criterion is awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any love for NFS: Shift here? No? Oh, ok :(

Well I thought it was fantastic.

But I'm glad they're branching back out into zaney racing and honestly there aren't any more safer hands in the business for the sort than Criterion (HUGE Paradise fan, as well), so my hopes are astronomical!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hot Pursuit 2 is one of my favorite racing games of all time, and Paradise is fantastic, so this can only end well. Looking forward to it.

Sangheili91 on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I called a friend of mine (we're huge racing game fanboys) and I'm like "hey, you know how NFS has sucked since Most Wanted, right? And how we've always wanted multiplayer with cops and racers? Okay, now imagine a free-roam world four times bigger than paradise city, cops/racer online multiplay, and racing similar to both Most Wanted and Burnout Revenge. Oh, and it's developed by the same guys who made the Burnout series."

he promptly freaked the fuck out

Senshi on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    im really really excited for this. i put a ridiculous number of hours into burnout 3 and burnout paradise, and the early NFS games (up through hot pursuit 2 i guess) have a special place in my heart that the years and years of terrible NFS games hasnt quite managed to kill.

also if you preorder this through amazon you get a free copy of NFS Shift, so thats cool too.

Ah_Pook on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm usually not a fan of arcade racers but Most Wanted was the shit. I just hope the element of car customization is involved, it's the one thing Criterion haven't had in the Burnout series.

So far this is looking to be the penultimate arcade racer.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, whats actually GOOD in this genre, then? Theres... A lot.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    I'm usually not a fan of arcade racers but Most Wanted was the shit. I just hope the element of car customization is involved, it's the one thing Criterion haven't had in the Burnout series.

So far this is looking to be the penultimate arcade racer.

Surviving a lengthy chase with countless cop cars, helicopters, spike strips, ramming SUVs, etc was the best feeling. Never did bring Cross out to play, though.

I also loved how you could boost the stats of your cars to ridiculous levels, I ended up beating Razor with a fully upgraded Lotus Elise (I'm not a big car person but I <3 it and the Exige).

Is there any early list of the cars in this game? I need at least one Lotus car in a game to keep me happy.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    So, whats actually GOOD in this genre, then? Theres... A lot.

good arcade racers? burnout 3 is my all time favorite. burnout paradise, burnout revenge, and f-zero gx are also top tier. split/second and blur are both pretty cool and recent. theres probably some more...

Ah_Pook on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    elizabex wrote: »
    Burnout Revenge was my go-to multiplayer game on the 360 for quite a long time. Paradise was lots of fun, but I missed the close circuit races from Revenge. From what I can gather, NFS: HP marries them --- closed circuit races, while taking a lot of things from Paradise that made that game lots of fun (particularly being informed of when friends beat your records on particular drags).

Criterion is, by far, my favorite racer developer. I'm definitely excited about this one.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Going to be watching this closely to see which direction it winds up going.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This will be the NFS game people have wanted since MW.

Current working car list - Spoiled for length's sake.
    NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - Car List
    Total Manufacturers: 23
    Total Cars: 66

Alfa Romeo:

- 2007 8C Competizione
    - 2008 8C Spider

Aston Martin:

- 2009 DBS
    - 2010 DBS Volante
    - 2010 One-77
    - 2010 V12 Vantage

Audi:

- 2010 R8 Coupé 5.2 FSI quattro
    - 2010 R8 Spyder 5.2 FSI quattro
    - 2010 TT RS Coupe [Image]

Bentley:

- 2010 Bentley Continental Supersports

BMW:

- 2008 M3 E92
    - 2010 M6 Convertible
    - 2010 Z4 sDrive35is

Bugatti:

- 2006 Veyron 16.4 [Image]
    - 2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport

Carbon Motors:

- 2010 E7

Chevrolet:

- 2010 Camaro SS [Source]
    - 2010 Corvette Grand Sport
    - 2008 Corvette Z06
    - 2009 Corvette ZR1

Dodge:

- 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 [Source]
    - 2009 Dodge Charger SRT8
    - 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10
    - 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR

Ford:

- 2009 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
    - 2005 Ford GT [Image]
    - 2011 Police Interceptor Concept
    - 2010 Mustang GT-500 [Image]
    - 2011 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Jaguar:

- 2010 XKR

Koenigsegg:

- 2010 Agera
    - 2007 CCX [Image]
    - 2009 CCXR Edition

Lamborghini:

- 2009 Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni
    - 2009 Gallardo LP560-4
    - 2009 Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder
    - 2010 Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
    - 2008 Murciélago LP640
    - 2010 Murciélago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce [Image]
    - 2008 Reventón [Image]
    - 2010 Reventón Roadster

Maserati:

- 2010 GranCabrio
    - 2009 Gran Turismo S Automatic
    - 2009 Quattroporte Sport GT S

Mazda:

- 2008 RX-8

Mclaren:

- 1994 F1
    - 2011 MP4-12C [Image]

Mercedes-Benz:

- 2009 SL65 AMG Black Series
    - 2007 SLR McLaren 722 Edition
    - 2010 SLR McLaren Stirling Moss
    - 2011 SLS AMG

Mitsubishi:

- 2008 Lancer EVOLUTION X

Nissan:

- 2009 370Z Coupe
    - 2010 370Z Roadster
    - 2010 GT-R SpecV (R35)

Pagani:

- 2009 Zonda Cinque [Image]
    - 2010 Zonda Cinque Roadster

Porsche:

- 2010 911 GT3 RS (997/2)
    - 2010 911 Targa 4S (997/2)
    - 2011 911 Turbo S Cabriolet (997/2)
    - 2010 918 Spyder Concept (Concept Study) [Source]
    - 2010 Boxster Spyder
    - 2005 Carrera GT
    - 2009 Cayman S [Image]
    - 2010 Panamera Turbo

Subaru:

- 2010 Impreza WRX STi

PaperLuigi- no Lotus yet. But who knows, I'm thinking they'll have DLC up the wazoo with this one.

I'm bummed there will be no in car view, but oh well. Should still be a blast.

vidjeas from EA (Probably already in that Gametrailers link above, but imbedded for those at work who can't get to GT)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMEcIBiFpU&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_edZZIf_XgA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENKJL8Hi2c&feature=channel

Now, about the NFS franchise-
    EA decided on doing an every other year plan to keep the quality up since the last few games weren't so hot (Prostreet, Carbon, Undercover). One year, more sim like, the other, arcade goodness like the days of old. This way, seperate dev teams can have a 12-18 month dev cycle complete with a robust DLC plan.

So last year it was Shift, developed by Slightly Mad Studios- who worked on the GTR pc games.
    This year it's back to the free roam arcade fun, Criterion taking the helm.
    Next spring will be Shift 2, still developed by SMS. The new rumor is that it will be very sim, it's actually going to be comprised of the next project they were working on while making Shift- Ferrari Project. The engine and some of the assests were used in Shift.

The funny thing about Shift is that SMS created quite the sim engine for EA. EA made coding tweaks to the build and gave it some wonky drfity hancling (which they ended up patching twice due to complaints). The hardcore PC sim crowd have now modded the hell out of the game, people found all the EA coding and removed them, as well as removing a lot of the extra billboards, tents, amusement park rides, giraffes, and whatever EA stuck in there to make the envirnonments more "lively". They've even added F1 cars to it. So PC users have quite the sim now, it's essentially based on GTR with cleaned up visuals.

Personally, I love circuit racers, and I really do enjoy Shift for what it was. Tweak the steering settings, understeer, etc, and it's handles much better.

tl:dr- NFS will be fun again, hopefully for fans of both sim types and arcade.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I havent played NFS since Hot Persuit 2 (had all the games up to that one at some point or another). Shift is currently on its way in the mail courtesy of Goozex.

*edit* lol @ "arcade like the days of old" when NFS1 was the most sim game of the series.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You kids and your most wanteds and undergrounds. When I was your age, we had a Road & Track magazine branded NFS and that was good enough for us.

Until NFS II came out. It was better. My brother and I put so many hours into that game...

But enough of that. Random youtube video time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9sIpR9utI

Can't wait to see the next installment of NFS. I have my hopes high as always. They aren't always met, but I'm glad they keep trying.

Also, RIP MCO. Such a great game, so terribly mismanaged.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2010
    NFS2 had a seperate "simulation mode" and "arcade mode" it was awesome.

also a T-Rex

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basticle wrote: »
    So I havent played NFS since Hot Persuit 2 (had all the games up to that one at some point or another). Shift is currently on its way in the mail courtesy of Goozex.

*edit* lol @ "arcade like the days of old" when NFS1 was the most sim game of the series.

So true Basticle, they were sim. Like citizen said above, most of the kids these days don't remember that or haven't played them, now people just associate NFS with arcade, wanting them to go back to "arcade roots". Funny.

I'd enjoy an updated NFS Porsche Unlimited game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jamesways wrote: »
    Basticle wrote: »

So true Basticle, they were sim. Like citizen said above, most of the kids these days don't remember that or haven't played them, now people just associate NFS with arcade, wanting them to go back to "arcade roots". Funny.

I'd enjoy an updated NFS Porsche Unlimited game.

So much rage when people say NFS needs to get away from this "pro street" and "shift" stuff and back to where it all started with Underground.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2010
    man, you'd think you could find a freakin screenshot of the t-rex

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Woah woah. This game has the '06 Veryon and the '09 Veyron Super Sport? Awesome. All they need is the new 550hp Ariel Atom and it wil be compelte.

JustinSane07 on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh, after seeing more I feel bad about being so dismissive right off the bat. It looks like a fantastic blend of Burnout Paradise and the original NFS: Most Wanted (still probably my favorite NFS game). I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this.

The Deliverator on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Definitely looking forward to this. I own most of the NFS games (still need to get Shift, though).

Anyone play NFS:World? It's pretty neat from what I've played. It's basically free to play, if you don't mind earning things the hard way.

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    im really really excited for this. i put a ridiculous number of hours into burnout 3 and burnout paradise, and the early NFS games (up through hot pursuit 2 i guess) have a special place in my heart that the years and years of terrible NFS games hasnt quite managed to kill.

also if you preorder this through amazon you get a free copy of NFS Shift, so thats cool too.

I couldn't see this promo when I scoured Amazon. Do you have a link?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I couldn't see this promo when I scoured Amazon. Do you have a link?

looks like the deal is gone now. if you preordered in august while the deal was still up supopsedly you still get the free copy of shift though, so heres hoping.

Ah_Pook on
    edited September 2010
    so wait
    is this going to be free-roam or closed-circuit racing?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
    edited September 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    so wait

Free roam with the best Paradise City had to offer but four times bigger, but the actual races will be closed circuit.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    so wait

Free roam with the best Paradise City had to offer but four times bigger, but the actual races will be closed circuit.

So... possibly the best of both worlds?
    This sounds cool as hell.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was it a Need For Speed game or Midnight Club where it was open world driving with closed circuit racing, but if you had too much heat from between races (or during) the cops would show up, the race would be called off and you had to escape? Cause I kinda liked that.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Was it a Need For Speed game or Midnight Club where it was open world driving with closed circuit racing, but if you had too much heat from between races (or during) the cops would show up, the race would be called off and you had to escape? Cause I kinda liked that.

NFS:Most Wanted could have you get heat during a race and have to lose the police after it was over, but I don't think it would cancel the race.

Sir Carcass on