As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles Series Thread- Sega ruins all the things. ALL OF THEM.

1555657585961»

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    also the military

yeah

Rent on
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was being obtuse.

But regardless.

Serious question; should I just make all Shocks (besides by 2 gunners) Commandos? I know that the AP Gain is very nice, but the loss of the grenades is more than made up by the power of the Flamers, correct? I'm currently spending some time to upgrade all my lacking characters, so I've just felt like asking with regards to the Shocks.

On another somewhat serious note, is it just me, or is it rather disappointing to see Selvaria in, of all things, a Lanseal uniform? What happened to VC1 Selvaria, that was featured in the early JP VC2 screenshots for bonus content? Did they just drop that entirely for the US version? Or was it done for both versions? I ask, because if Maxi comes out later, I'd like to expect whether or not he'll be in his princely attire or another Lanseal Uniform.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You don't need grenades at all, unless you want a very precise, compact explosion to take out very specific targets. Flamethrowers can get messy real quick.

That said, that's what Heavy Scouts are for. Their rifle grenades have a stupid far reach.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I suggest having at least one Gunner onhand, possibly two.

1) Their interception fire is on par with a gatling bunker. Which makes sense because they are effectively walking gatling bunkers. Nobody can protect a base or hold down a choke point quite like them.

2) Gunners, and especially heavy gunners, are frequently capable of mowing down multiple units in one salvo because of their sweeping attack and absurdly high damage.

3) Assisting fire, assisting fire, assisting fire. When assisting another shooter, they use their concentrated interception fire, which is capable of killing pretty much any infantry unit in a single magazine.

Gunners are overshadowed by Commandos pretty handily, but they definitely have their uses and I very frequently use at least one.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had Zeri (Heavy Gunner) do a coordinated attack wtih me once. Shit was brutally insane. He just kept firing and firing. I almost thought the game glitched.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do characters ever get another classmate mission, or only one? Some of them developed pretty well in the classmate mission, but them I just thought 'wow, that's it for that character'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As much as I would love another Helmut mission, I'm pretty sure everybody just gets one.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do characters develop more outside of their missions?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    working on two ops

hating my life :(

Rent on
  • Options
    Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    working on two ops

hating my life :(
    Whatever you do, don't end it all!

We need another thread.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh. Even Japan's not happy that VC3 is on PSP instead of PS3.
    Text reads: "Valkyria Chronicles 3 is... on the PSP?!"

794f07c5daead328c723a3b16db2b200.jpg

Poor Selvaria. You're not alone. I'm sad too.

And as for my current team, grinding and going back to Ace all the old missions has seen about 80% of my characters advancing to the next level. Lancers are still being a pain in the ass though... And so is the Certificate/Diploma drops.

And I really, really dislike Selvaria in Lanseal attire. Couldn't they have at least kept to her old one like what was previewed way back when?

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And I really, really dislike Selvaria in Lanseal attire. Couldn't they have at least kept to her old one like what was previewed way back when?

I'm like that with all of the unlocked characters. Like, using Marina wearing a Lanseal sniper outfit is just wrong. Give her a militia uniform!

-Loki- on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    but shes a cadet now. why wouldn't she wear one.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Marina isn't a cadet. She's militia, from the first game. Just unlockable in this game. Unless you're saying Selvaria and Isara are now cadets at Lanseal...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    hobbifiedhobbified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    but shes a cadet now. why wouldn't she wear one.

No she's not. Her encyclopedia entry doesn't say she is; you never see her on campus; she doesn't have any classmate events. She's a member of Squad 7 who joins in your missions through the power of "it's just a game, you should really just relax." There's no in-game reason for the guest characters to be wearing the cadet uniforms.

The real-world reason, of course, is that they either didn't want to spend the money doing entirely new sets of uniforms, or else the game couldn't handle the added assets. :)

hobbified on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    she's in the class G squad. so shes a cadet. mystery solved.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    she's in the class G squad. so shes a cadet. mystery solved.

Then she shouldn't be going with you in missions. More mystery!

Also, you didn't explain (VC 1 spoilers)
    How two very dead characters are in your class as well, suddenly sporting militia uniforms.

I guess they joined the militia too?

I'm not asking for much. Just some extra uniforms :(

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    because its a video game

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not denying that. i'm just saying it feels wrong to have them in Lanseal uniforms.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    1) who gives a shit

2) I'm never making an OP ever again, I have been working on this damned thing for like eight hours now

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Get to it. We need a quality OP.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Selvaria is a hilariously great Scout. Her accuracy is super-tight, and within two missions I was able to amass her three Certificates. I swapped Avan to a Shocktrooper just to change things up, and he's pretty good as one—I feel like I've been wasting him as a mere Scout this whole time.

The only UI quirk I have is that I wish there were an easier, more direct way to compare what credits my recruits need to what credits individual missions are offering. As-is, now I have to bounce back and forth between the Change Class screen on the drilling fields and the Mission Info screen in the Briefing Room.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Avan is fucking amazing as a Commando. It's mandatory you make him one.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't believe we're arguing DLC character outfit canon-ness.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    I can't believe we're arguing DLC character outfit canon-ness.

I'm just annoyed that my girl is in a school uniform :(

Regarding Selvaria, yeah, I used her this morning. She's really good. Not like you'd expect less from Selvaria though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I made a new thread

no more making OPs for me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    also no one else is allowed to be post in this thread

only me

Rent on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    any moral issues trading in a 1001 at gamestop for a 3000 or whatever is good that also has the a/v out?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    any moral issues trading in a 1001 at gamestop for a 3000 or whatever is good that also has the a/v out?

Only thing you're really losing is custom firmware possibilities, if you swing that way, but everything else is a massive upgrade. People have been debating the screen of the 3000 versus the 2000, but I haven't seen them together in person to compare. I like how much lighter and, well, slimmer the newer PSPs are. Just remember to take out your memory stick before you trade it in. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah i was always thinking about how i'd homebrew it and do all this stuff with it. but I've been thinking that for what? 6 years now? And haven't done anything with it other than play lumines, patapon 1, and now vc2.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Scanlines are way, way more noticable on the 3000 than the 2000 when put next to each other, but it's not enough to be detrimental or anything and the screen is still a lot sharper and basically an upgrade in every other fashion over it. I've got a 2000 with cfw and a 3000 running ofw so that was one of the first things I checked.

Also go to the new thread!

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i told you guys i'm the only one allowed to post here

what the hell

<.<

Rent on