As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Monitor Advice

Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSporkRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok here's the deal, I've had my current monitor for a long time. It has actually outlived three computers. Now it's begining to die and I need replacement. The problem is that I know squat about what to look for in new monitors. My only requirments are that 1: It's a flatscreen. 2: It has dual input so I can switch between my computer and my 360 without unplugging wires, and 3: It is under $400.

Anyone want to give me a rundown of what to look for or even suggested models?:P

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Librarian's ghost on

• MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What a timely thread, mind if I leech?

One of my monitors is completely worthless now, and I just want something cheap to replace it. I had some free hand me downs from neighbors that I planned to replace it with when it died, but they're apparently just a tad bit too tall. The monitors in question were 19 inches, so something small and cheap would be appreciated (even if it does support past 1024x768).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    22" widescreen LCDs have dropped in price quite a bit recently. Their native resolution is 1680x1050. I'd suggest the Acer AL2216W, which has both a DVI and a D-SUB input. I use it for both my PC and 360.

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In my opinion, if you want a 360 + PC gaming and flat screen, here's what I'd look for.

Size: I like 21" or higher if I'm going to game, so keep that in mind. You might also want to go widescreen.
    Inputs: Definitely VGA for your PC, but I'd also look for component. I'm using component for my 360 and VGA for my PC and I can switch easily back and forth.
    Response time: 8ms or less
    Contrast ratio: Generally, 1000:1 or higher
    Resolution: This is really up to you, but I'm using a resolution of 1680x1050 and it works wonderful, and there are higher resolutions out there. (1920x1080 being 1080p) Just keep in mind resolution when you are buying a monitor for console gaming.

Right now, I'm using a Gateway FPD2185W and I love it. I might buy a Viewsonic 24" model VX2435WM which is on sale at Best Buy Canada right now for 699.99 in our funny money. It has basically everything I could possibly want. I'm not sure the quality, but that is something I need to read the reviwes for.

liquidlogan on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So do I need to look specifically for a monitor with dual input or would any monitor with more than one connection type work?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So do I need to look specifically for a monitor with dual input or would any monitor with more than one connection type work?
    Mehh, you can always use a vga-switch or a "KVM"-switch if you find a really good flatscreen with "only" one input. (KVM-switch with hardware change that is, some are hot-key only which does not work with 360).
    Beware certain cheap LCD:s, I got one that had big problems with backlight bleeding & had to return it.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png