As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
You guys remember EDF 2017, the game released a few years ago for the 360? The game that was incredibly low budget, yet somehow still managed to blow all our minds? Well, here's another one!

According to the article, it has 3 player online co-op, a 6 player survival mode, is coming to Xbox 360 AND PS3, and is being developed by the studio that developed the Matt Hazard games.

The teaser trailer (in the link) says Spring 2011. Doesn't look like it's being developed by the same studio as the first one though. How were the Matt Hazard games?

May I be the first to say, OMG!?

SirUltimos on

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Matt Hazard games were all bad

Soooo

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the Matt Hazard on the 360 needed some serious inspiration. Maybe it was part of the sarcasm but it was very, very average at best.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well that doesn't bode well.

SirUltimos on
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aside from the fact that the actual developer doesn't bode well, I'm not sure you can actually make awesomeness like EDF2017 happen on purpose. EDF 2017 is like a Voltron that has individual vehicles made up of rusty gocarts, old VW bugs with parts missing, and a couple of old trans-ams with faulty spark plugs. Once they form together though, the single entity kicks ass like Bruce Lee, sounds like the worlds greatest rock star, and impregnates women by looking at them. It seemed like Sandlot threw things together they thought were cool, without really thinking about them, and produced pure awesome perhaps by pure luck. I don't have high confidence in one developer trying to recreate what another developer may or may not have done by blind luck.

I'm interested, but not hopeful.

The Burnin8or on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did anyone ever play any of the PS2 EDF games?

SirUltimos on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is an ominous sign that they only mention online co-op. If they took out splitscreen I will rage.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't have high confidence in one developer trying to recreate what another developer may or may not have done by blind luck.
    No blind luck at all. Sandlot made two more EDF games before on the PS2 and the second one of those (Global Defense Force) was even more awesome than EDF 2017.

Needle on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah people seem to forget that EDF 2017 was the third game in a series of awesome games. It's just the first game to have gotten any recognition in the states. It wasn't just a dumb luck thing.

BloodySloth on
    edited September 2010
    Was it dumb luck originally with the first one though? I honestly can't imagine anyone choosing to do some of the things they did on purpose. In addition, weren't the games released as budget titles right form the start (or was that just 2017)? That would only seem to further limit what they could do.

I guess my point was, Sandlot did what they did, and it worked, regardless of purpose or not, so they were asked to keep doing it, so they did. Asking someone else to do what they did doesn't seem smart.

**EDIT: I didn't forget that they did the other EDF games, but, what I did forget is that they also made R.A.D. which was also cool in a similar way (though not as cool). So, yeah, I guess they do know what they are doing in a awesomely cheesy way. In either case though, I would much rather they be doing the new game. . . .

The Burnin8or on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was it dumb luck originally with the first one though? I honestly can't imagine anyone choosing to do some of the things they did on purpose. In addition, weren't the games released as budget titles right form the start (or was that just 2017)? That would only seem to further limit what they could do.

I guess my point was, Sandlot did what they did, and it worked, regardless of purpose or not, so they were asked to keep doing it, so they did. Asking someone else to do what they did doesn't seem smart.

**EDIT: I didn't forget that they did the other EDF games, but, what I did forget is that they also made R.A.D. which was also cool in a similar way (though not as cool). So, yeah, I guess they do know what they are doing in a awesomely cheesy way. In either case though, I would much rather they be doing the new game. . . .

I definitely agree that asking another developer, even if it were a renowned one, to recapture what is uniquely Sandlot's thing seems to be asking for failure. I went from super excited to feeling really cautious just from this new article/trailer.

BloodySloth on
    edited September 2010
    I definitely agree that asking another developer, even if it were a renowned one, to recapture what is uniquely Sandlot's thing seems to be asking for failure. I went from super excited to feeling really cautious just from this new article/trailer.

Yeah, I saw the teaser page last week and was pumped, big time. The latest news really deflated my enthusiasm.

The Burnin8or on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dis-un-irregardlessly, i thought the trailer looked fine. If its cheap ill pick it up for sure.

But 3 player online co-op? What the deuce.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to have hopes for this

But Matt Hazard was so bad

So, so bad

UnbreakableVow on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heres to being hopeful.

Burtletoy on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Always heard the other games spoken of highly, so here's hoping the PS3 port is good.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Please don't suck. :(

Moioink on
  • NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But Matt Hazard was so bad
    It probably was (never tried it), but there's still hope.

EDF's formula is much different from pretty much everything we've been served for more than a decade now. It's like someone played Serious Sam and thought "Hmm, that's a nice game but there's way to much time spend NOT shooting and enemies should be ten times as large and twenty times as numerous."

It's much closer to classic Shumps than to any modern shooters. Let us all hope that is the kind of game that Vicious Cycle can actually handle.

Needle on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dead Head Fred has decent reviews. I'm not hopeful due to their work on Matt Hazard (those games should've been MUCH better than they were), but if they consult with some of Sandlot's design people this should be fine.

Turkey on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly it seems pretty hard to make a bad EDF game.

Step one : Have many guns
    Step two : Have tons of enemies
    Step three : Blow up everything
    Step four : Beer time cause that's it!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With any luck, this will be a remake of the far superior second PS2 game, Global Defence Force.
    You know, given that 2017 was a remake of the first and all.

Xagarath on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So this game comes out in, like, 4 days?

Burtletoy on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yup.

It's looking good from the latest previews.

Really good.

chiasaur11 on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hear GameStop will start selling it tomorrow.

Might want to call ahead to see if there's any truth to that.

If you don't mind giving your $40 to GameStop, of course.

Renzo on
    edited July 2011
    Guy at the local gamestop told me that the system has it set for tomorrow.

And that some places broke the street date already.

Turkey on
    edited July 2011
    They have it at Gamestop. (Some of?) Their Xbox copies don't come with booklets.

Turkey on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh snap. i've been playing 2017 with my wife a lot over the past week in anticipation o this game coming out. I hope the things they changed don't ruin the fun.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited July 2011
    Bought it. Played the first 5 missions. It's fucking fun. It's still EDF, no question. The different armors are a really cool addition.

Renzo on
    edited July 2011
    Do the ants still scuttle creepily? I haven't started the game because they freak me out unless I'm playing co-op.

Turkey on
    edited July 2011
    They move convincingly, sure.

One cool thing I noticed: If you hit a bug with a shot that has knockback, like a shotgun blast, but the bug doesn't die, it'll curl up like it's dead as it flies backwards. But mid-flight, it'll catch itself and keep crawling toward you. The animation for it is very cool. So far I've only seen ants and spiders do this. It gives them some personality.

Each armor has a special ability that can be leveled up and customized, too. And it's not just a single ability. It's really more like a system that is unique to that suit of armor. You should really try out each armor before you settle on one.

Renzo on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wait, this is out? I thought it wasn't coming until Tuesday?

JihadJesus on
    edited July 2011
    GameStop will sell it to you starting today.

Renzo on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bought it. Fuck yes. Thank you guys for telling me about this.

What's up with the no instruction booklet?

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How about the amount of enemies on screen? That's a real important thing for me.

I watched some videos of this and wasn't convinced that I would be facing swarms of bugs as before.

EDIT: Also, how many difficulties does it have?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    How about the amount of enemies on screen? That's a real important thing for me.

I watched some videos of this and wasn't convinced that I would be facing swarms of bugs as before.

Hopefully, lots. With 'hardest' being somewhere in the middle, just below 'hardester'.

Quake Matt on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

Normal, Hard, and Inferno. And so far, Normal is no pushover. Having tried a mission on Inferno, it appears to affect the number of enemies as well as their toughness and amount of damage they deal.

The bugs definitely swarm just as before, and even in early levels the ants and spiders are often mixed up with mini-hectors and ticks, so in the middle of a firefight it can feel like an awful lot is being thrown at you. I frequently have to run for health packs. Oh, you can sprint in this game, and dodge-roll forward, so there's no need to diagonally roll everywhere like in 2017.

Weapon and armor leveling seems to be handled well. You still want to keep an eye out for weapon drops, but you don't need to run around collecting health packs unless you actually need them, as they don't increase your maximum HP.

So far, the armor type with the deployable turrets seems to be the best, though this may change if the game is slow in unlocking more powerful turrets. I can already see the turrets getting a bit obsolete compared to the Tier 2 weapons.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited July 2011
    The game tracks achievements in the same way as Left 4 Dead and Gears. Also, there's a mode called "Campaign Remix", but it's obviously locked.

The animations are the highlight for me. They are really smooth, specially the player's. Since they can't bump up the texture or polygon detail too much without sacrificing performance, they put a lot of effort on the animations instead. It gives the game a very solid look.

While promotional stuff claimed that there were 3 armors, having no armor (standard EDF gear) is its own class.

The game gives you 2 NPC teamates if you're playing alone. I presume they get replaced by players.

Turkey on
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    is this out? this is my all time favorite co-op game! why does release date say 5th if you guys are playing now?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I plan on getting this on Tuesday, since I have several days off work to enjoy it with.

It's gonna be awesome.

yalborap on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is awesome. There's plenty of bugs on screen, all the weapon types are useful, the different armies are neat (my favorite's the Battle Armor, shield FTW), and the dialog is suitably cheesy.

Though apparently you don't get the full campaign on Normal difficulty, it just sort of abruptly stops like half way through. You need to play on a harder difficulty to actually get the whole thing. However Hard mode is hard as balls, so you'll want to do some leveling on normal anyway.

Dartboy on
    edited July 2011
    KingMoo wrote: »
    is this out? this is my all time favorite co-op game! why does release date say 5th if you guys are playing now?

This is now the third mention that GameStop started selling it on Saturday.

Renzo on