As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually doesn't look like a PS2 game.

Xagarath on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks pretty sweet. Also looks like the real Dante ditched Capcom, grew his hair a bit and decided to pay a visit to Disgaea.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks awesome. I'm really digging the ridiculous-ness level of everything.

Also, I would like all that extra stuff shown at the end of the trailer.

blaze_zero on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay...I need translations of that trailer. Stat.

At first, I was thinking "Oh, okay, so it's like 3...that's okay. Wish they would have added some stuff."

And then they started showing the new stuff.

They have my attention. I wasn't sure, but I thought I was looking at war stages, with you fighting over large fields, with discrete areas you fight the actual battles in, in an attempt to control the entire battle. Kind of like Risk, with Disgaea battles. If that's the case, oh so delicious.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It definitely looks like prinnies can be turned into items including armor and weapons, which would be fantastic.

I am extremely excited, it looks like they are considering the fact that they need to update the graphics at least a bit for this one haha.

Edit: Also, heres an article up with details from the TGS about Disgaea 4. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1121565p1.html

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That looks nice. I noticed that sort of overworld map, too. Interesting.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *Tries translating the character names*

Okay, I get "Valuvato-ze" for the main guy... basing my guess on the IGN article saying Valvatorez, I'm going with Valvatoz.
    White hair is "Huenrihi", so I'd guess Henry. IGN says Phenlif... which explains the extra 'hi' at the end, but I thought it was 'hu' that gets swapped with 'f'...
    Person in green is "Emi-zeru"... Amy-something?
    Prinny girl is "Hu-ka". Which makes me think Hook. (Or maybe Houk. :))

Also, I guess Axel's getting a big role à la Etna in D2.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, they're finally bringing back the crazy in spades.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am very happy about Axel being the returning guest star. I think they should do that with all the games. 1 returning star.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So we finally getting PS2 level graphics?

Kyougu on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow those sprites look good.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ah you guys found that trailer already. I was planning on linking it last night but forgot and went to bed.

The prinny girls special attack is just D:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For all that I only played the main storyline of it, I enjoyed Disgaea 3. I absolutely loved the sense of humour it had and the VA was top-notch. I am definitely interested in this.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I just noticed one of the character classes shown at the start of the vid looks similar to the Professor class from Makai Kingdom. There also seems to be at least one more humanoid class, and what looks like a robotic spacesuit.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Disgaea 4 will allow online invasions of friends' worlds. Plus, Nippon Ichi is giving the series a serious makeover.

Disgaea's Souls, anyone? :lol:

More details:
    First, the game uses Takehito Harada's illustrations in their original form, rather than converting them first into sprites. He said to expect smoother animation as a result. Fans of Nippon Ichi's sprite work will also be pleased to know that the game also includes sprite versions of the art, and you'll be able to switch to them if you please.

The next sales point is "yarikomi" elements. "Yarikomi" is the Japanese word that encompasses all the extra crap that extends gameplay time -- things like collecting items, aiming for the high score, and building up your characters. Disgaea is known for such elements. For part 4, Nippon Ichi is implementing a system where players will be able to show off to other players just how much "yarikomi" they've gotten out of the game. When connected online, you'll be able to attack other players. They'll also be able to attack you.

So what happens if a player who's raised his characters to top levels attacks a beginner player? Niikawa cited two possibilities for dealing with this. First, they're considering allowing players to set it up so players at certain levels will be abel to attack in this way. Additionally, it's possible for players to come into your Disgaea world not just to attack, but to assist as well.

The final element was one of the big focuses of the trailer: a political theme. This replaces the school theme of part 3. You'll be able to manage internal factions in a government.
    You want images? You got a image!
    2i8bt4p.jpg

157uyv.jpg

suvr0i.jpg

15zkom0.jpg

2dhenns.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Attack another player's world?

oh me oh my...

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, wait. You can go into another players game...to help?

Multiplayer Disgaea just got infinity times awesomer!

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited September 2010
    Wait, wait. You can go into another players game...to help?

Multiplayer Disgaea just got infinity times awesomer!

Not enough lime in the world.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know what's more crazy. That to appease the HD gods, they just made sprite versions of the character art...

Or that it actually works. They look 100x better than the standard pixally stuff.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited September 2010
    I can't believe I didn't notice that Axel is part of the main cast.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well dang. I own the first three... Now to wait till the NA release.

TheGerbil on
    edited September 2010
    Wha wha whaaaaaaat?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/17/disgaea-4-comes-to-north-america-next-summer/
    NIS America wasted no time announcing Disgaea 4. The publisher confirmed it for a North American release and it’ll be here next summer. That’s not too far from the February 24, 2011 launch date in Japan, right?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do they mean by sprite version of the art? Pretty sure none of those characters are 3d models, so I figure they're just misusing the term somehow. Old pixelated versions?

Glal on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Most likely that.

So if you really want your Disgaea 4 to look like a PS2 game it still can.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good god why. D:

[edit] New sprites are lovely.

Glal on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    What do they mean by sprite version of the art? Pretty sure none of those characters are 3d models, so I figure they're just misusing the term somehow. Old pixelated versions?

If you look at the pictures above, they look exactly like the art as pictured in the art books and manual, rather than the conventional spritework that they are in-game.

To put it short, if and when Laharl shows up, instead of looking like this on the map:
    Laharl.png

He'll look like this:
    dis-laharl4.jpg

It's such a simple yet effective change. And they don't have to do much, since they already have the art just lying around.

edit: Found a better example for the second pic.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't load your specific example. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish NIS developed games for systems I actually owned.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited September 2010
    It's sensible business, really. JRPGs sell better on the PS3 than they do the 360. The 360 is still kind of a red headed stepchild in Japan.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Axel is back (yessss) and multiplayer assists sound awesome. I'm looking forward to taking my super high level character freelancing through hundreds of worlds

gunwarrior on
    edited September 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Axel is back (yessss) and multiplayer assists sound awesome. I'm looking forward to taking my super high level character freelancing through hundreds of worlds

Dammit, now I can't get the idea of taking a level 9999 character into other people's worlds, helping them through higher level Item Worlds, and intercepting any particularly nasty pirates, out of my head.

Obviously, I'll expect a fee.

Just a measly 10 million HL + 40% of the bonuses.

Per floor. :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's sensible business, really. JRPGs sell better on the PS3 than they do the 360. The 360 is still kind of a red headed stepchild in Japan.

A couple weeks ago, 360 consoles outsold 360 games in Japan.

Yeah.

Aroduc on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What the fuck.

Axel what the hell are you doing there, you're supposed to be a wacky antagonist, you're not a protagonist, you don't even win.

Also, man, the trailer looks absolutely crazy. I actually went "what" out loud at a few moments right there - the people-column acrboatics, the beyond ridiculous weapons (did you see the sword that warrior was packing? It was taller than the stage!), the awesomely absurd attacks... and then to top it all, motherfucking Axel. And now I'm sad I don't have a PS3...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Good god why. D:

[edit] New sprites are lovely.

Some people even play without the sprites. Just pure numbers.

Anyway, gladly going to buy this.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited September 2010
    My gf is going to go halvsies on this one. She's the one with the greater addiction in this household. She's finished 1 and 2. She bought 2 twice. Ps2 then psp.

Morninglord on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game does look pretty badass.

Ranadiel on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drascin wrote: »
    What the fuck.

Axel what the hell are you doing there, you're supposed to be a wacky antagonist, you're not a protagonist, you don't even win.

I will fight you

gunwarrior on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh man, the new sprites look so good. i though i might have been done with the series after 3, but man. the new sprites and whatever crazy online stuff has me pretty excited for this already.

Ah_Pook on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    2i8bt4p.jpg

Who's the Vyers lookin' guy?

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ive only played 1 but it was easily the best turn based strategy game Ive ever played.

And is that a Disgea CCG I see? Color me interested.

Bedlam on