As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Procrastinating by making a school thread, I think this is ironic or something?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just spent my afternoon drawing gobs of Lewis dot structures for chemistry. It was oddly calming.

Now that I'm a TA, it is incredibly amusing to watch people draw the Lewis structure of water as HO2 with double/triple bonds between the hydrogen and the two oxygens.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    I just spent my afternoon drawing gobs of Lewis dot structures for chemistry. It was oddly calming.

Now that I'm a TA, it is incredibly amusing to watch people draw the Lewis structure of water as HO2 with double/triple bonds between the hydrogen and the two oxygens.

Wouldn't that be H- ( : O : )= ( : O : ) ?

thanimations on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [noparse](: O :) = H = (: O :)[/noparse]

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well shit fuck.

thanimations on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    oh man i had a quiz today.

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE

l.. like 10 and 26?

see, i am terrified of this happening to me

this math course is so easy its going to sabotage me

I don't think when i do these operations
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Did you bust out the fancy-ass factor trees?

I dont know what the fuck that is

Al_wat on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    numbers own
    letters are better though, esp greek ones
    AMP'd wrote: »
    273 is one of those numbers you should know if you're doing physics or chemistry
    6.02x10^23
    6.63x10^-34
    3x10^8
    1.6x10^-19
    9.11x10^-31
    1.67x10^-27
    Out of these I only recognize avogadro's number.

It's a good thing I want to be a lawyer!

I got the Kelvin conversion, Planck's constant, and the speed of light

And also I know a few of those to greater precision than L|ama posted :mrgreen:

so do I, but good luck getting data accurate to more than 3 significant figures outside of a proper research lab
    Pretty sure you can always use all the sig figs of the speed of light, because meters and seconds are both defined by it

At least that's what my chem prof said this week and it sounded cool

unintentional on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, c is a defined quantity (along with ε0 and μ0), but going to 9 significant figures in a calculation when you only have the wavelength measured to 3 sf is a waste of time
    AMP'd wrote: »
    no no no

2x2x5x13

oh, as primes? well that's slightly harder but still almost completely useless

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ε0 and μ0 are also kind of useful to know

ε0 is 4pi x 10^-7, and c^2=1/(ε0 x μ0) so you can figure them all out from remembering two

L|ama on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    oh my fucking christ this pre-cal test was hard

god im fucking retard

I got an f on my last pre cal b test
    So did everyone else!

We can do corrections though, so that's good

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE
    What the hell class are you taking?
    my spanish teacher last year was all "2 years of foreign language are required to graduate, but if you want colleges to actually consider you, take 4 or 3"

is this true? am i fucked if I dont take 3 or 4 years of a language?
    Not at all, I'm pretty sure nobody cares that much, unless instead of taking Spanish you had a study hall or did some obviously trivial class. She just wants you to keep taking her class. :P However, you will be required to take 2 years of a foreign language at most colleges if you didn't take 4 years of a single language in high school or you can't place out of one with an AP or SAT II class.
    oh my fucking christ this pre-cal test was hard

god im fucking retard
    I thought pre-calc was way harder than actual calculus

might've just been that I had a really shitty teacher for the former and a really good one for the latter though
    I agree, actually, in Calculus you get a graphing calculator and you don't have to do as much algebra. At least for Calculus I, I assume it gets significantly more difficult as you go upwards.

Coinage on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wasn't allowed to use a calculator in calc 1 or 2.
    Calc 2 it wasn't really necessary at all but there were time in Calc 1 that it would have helped.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Coinage wrote: »

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE

its some super, super basic math class for my program.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my spanish teacher last year was all "2 years of foreign language are required to graduate, but if you want colleges to actually consider you, take 4 or 3"

is this true? am i fucked if I dont take 3 or 4 years of a language?

This is complete bullshit. You only need 2 years. 3 or 4 can't hurt, and might help under some circumstances for foreign language graduation requirements, but you don't need 3 or 4.

edit: FWIW, 3 years of highschool German was enough for me to complete my UCI foreign language requirement without having to test out of it or take any college classes. Check the colleges you want to get into (if you have any at this point that are on a short list).

Orca on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE

i once had to convert a fraction into a percentage. On a college test.

(I had done calc in high school but only needed the most basic math class for my artsy major)

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE

So basic that you can't test out of it? Here I am thinking about how I would have to kill myself if I were taking introductory English at my community college, I don't know what I would do in your class...

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

I had to factor 260

WOOO COLLEGE

i once had to convert a fraction into a percentage. On a college test.

(I had done calc in high school but only needed the most basic math class for my artsy major)

I've done calc in university, differential equations, statistics, numerical methods

...yeah i think can do fractions and factoring

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So basic that you can't test out of it? Here I am thinking about how I would have to kill myself if I were taking introductory English at my community college, I don't know what I would do in your class...

I don't think I can test out of it. I could maybe get credit for it from previous courses but... fuck it, easy 100%, it will inflate my grade average. This program is really competitive for jobs.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    using graphics calculators for calculus is a pretty bad idea if you're going to continue doing maths, these days I mostly use it for checking that experimental results have the right graph shape before doing the full analysis

L|ama on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man this is far too much math.

I like my philosophy classes where I write papers defending hedonism.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    never enough maths

I'm getting kinda sick of differential equations though, so messy

L|ama on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ha, I got 1.3 on my oral exam just now (That's basically an A, dunno how things are graded in America).

Yet I can not help but feel sad. The better I fare now the more painful it'll be once I finally drop out because of some stupid bullshit like stats.

In fact, I feel like a prize cow. Everyone makes remarks about my good looks but in the end I'll still be butchered.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel pretty good in my decision to drop my math/physics classes and change my major after reading how my friend failed the first math test in that same class. This being my friend who passed last semester with an easy A, and who does nothing but study.

I'm also really happy I don't have to deal with the math anymore. I just didn't like it.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FlatEric, what have you going to focus your studies towards now?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am 3 classes away from a simple Liberal Arts degree with a focus on math/engineering.

After I graduate, I'm going to focus on just getting a decent paying job with that and getting my own place.

I also have something I'm going to try out in the meantime which I may or may not have any success in. If I do, it could potentially become a career, but that remains to be seen.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mcdonalds

nah I'm just kidding, I have no idea what career I even want

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so that's a #2, large fries, large Dr. Pepper, and an apple pie.
    That comes out to $ Σ n=1 ((1/e^n) + (1/n[n+1]))
    Please pull forward to the second window.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    using graphics calculators for calculus is a pretty bad idea if you're going to continue doing maths, these days I mostly use it for checking that experimental results have the right graph shape before doing the full analysis
    Well we have to be able to do the problems analytically, and he's really nitpicky about the work, it's not like he's letting us just use the dy/dx button. Although I'm pretty shitty at making graphs without a Calculator so maybe I should work on that.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoop whoop, inorganic chemistry assignment turned in.

Let's get drunk, bitches!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    man, fuck banks.

"were going to need to see confirmation of enrollment".

I gave this to you, 3 months ago. You needed it to even approve this loan which we are discussing. I don't understand why you need to see it again.

"im sorry sir those are our procedures"

:x

Al_wat on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to my Italian Renaissance course I realized that this
    animalfriends1.png

is a parody of St Francis of Assisi

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »
    I am 3 classes away from a simple Liberal Arts degree with a focus on math/engineering.

After I graduate, I'm going to focus on just getting a decent paying job with that and getting my own place.

I also have something I'm going to try out in the meantime which I may or may not have any success in. If I do, it could potentially become a career, but that remains to be seen.

Pretty much what I did. Graduated with a degree in Applied Math in May. Didn't know what I wanted to do, just applied to a ton of jobs in all different fields, and took one of the two I got that sounded interesting. So far so good.

In hindsight I sometimes think it would've been cool if I had focused a bit more on some CS related stuff I had been doing at school and pursued a job at one of the many cool tech related startups in the city, but whatever, I have time to decide later.

Oh, except, because I'm in NYC I can't afford my own place. I have to share with Craigslist randos. Even though I make good money.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    hardest math class i took was probably partial diff eqs
    also my teacher in that class kind of was a dick

one i really enjoyed was functions of a complex variable

who knew you could do crazy hard integrals in such simple ways using complex variables!

also math classes with lots of proofs were not my thing

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i cannot believe i was scared of that bitchass calculus quiz

feelin' good, school thread

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    math rules

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    maths is indeed p awesome.

Much love for Mechanics. Even though I'm not that good with the vector stuff.

101 on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, out of 35 people only 5 people got this one biology quiz question right. Thankfully I was among that five. My teacher was pretty dumbfounded, and of course the people who got it wrong were in arms about the question even though it was covered explicitly in our notes the day before.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had a meeting with the financial aid lady today about studying abroad in London next semester

It's not exactly a sure thing, but it seems pretty likely!!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Congrats, studying abroad sounds fantastic.

101 on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Faynor wrote: »
    I had a meeting with the financial aid lady today about studying abroad in London next semester

It's not exactly a sure thing, but it seems pretty likely!!

Grats! I am looking into a summer abroad program that goes from London to Italy, for 2011. So flipping excited. A full semester though? That'd be awesome as hell :^:

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weeeell it's actually shortened

It's a full semester's worth of credits in like, a 10 week program! Still pretty exciting though

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
This discussion has been closed.