As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    warder808 wrote: »
    First post from new phone.the site looks extra wide though. Got a Droid X last night.so much stuff to figure out

Settings > Language & keyboard > Input method > Swype

Get LauncherPro and AppBrain off the market.

Have fun playing around with it. I spent about almost two weeks just customizing the appearance and playing around with the device when I got mine. It's a really fun process.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How does the screen hold up? Do I NEED a screen protector?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay so can someone explain this? Why can only some phones play MKV files natively? I don't get it. Aren't they using the same basic operating system? What would make a Samsung Galaxy be able to play an MKV while an Evo can not?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Doubt it. Gorilla glass is rather sturdy stuff. I use the universal ones you can get at Wal-Mart just in case, though. Screens aren't as easy to replace as protectors are.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have screen protectors for my X but I could never get them applied without having tons of bubbles so I took it off.

Allforce on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Okay so can someone explain this? Why can only some phones play MKVfiles natively? I don't get it. Aren't they using the same basic operating system? What would make a Samsung Galaxy be able to play an MKV while an Evo can not?

Hardware acceleration support. Support for given formats needs to be built into the chip.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You have to try pretty frighteningly hard to scratch the screen. With my Evo I don't bother with a screen protector, I just make sure not to put it in my pockets next to my keyring. I've used the same policy with my Zune HD and it still has a flawless screen (the metal on the edges of the device is a little chipped, though).

Dehumanized on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time to write letters to people in high places and hope one of them takes notice?

Actually, turns out it was time to get a supervisor involved, heh.

As pleasant as everyone at HTC was, I had never actually asked for a supervisor. This last guy, though, was so pleasant that he actually offered to get his supervisor FOR ME, and got the supervisor to sign off on sendign me a unit from the super secret stockpile of new units.

Signs point to unit number five being the final one.

Evander on
    edited September 2010
    so it looks like the galaxy tab is officially coming to t-mobile.

I am trying to frind a reason why I would need/want one, and coming up blank

Evander on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »

It's coming to all carriers, though.

The answer as to why you need/want one is that you obviously don't have one and have the $<large number> to spare?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited September 2010
    I don't think there's really much point to having a 7" Froyo tablet, just like there wasn't much point to a 5" Donut tablet (well, I guess that one was actually a phone still). But I also don't think there's much point to having a 10" iOS tablet either, so there it is.

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

T-Mobile is official. The rest (to my knowledge) are likely rumors, not official announcements

Evander on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

T-Mobile is official. The rest (to my knowledge) are likely rumors, not official announcements

Engadget has it as official.

Edit: Well, I suppose I should clarify that it's all 4 major carriers, not necessarily all carriers.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

Doubt it. Gorilla glass is rather sturdy stuff. I use the universal ones you can get at Wal-Mart just in case, though. Screens aren't as easy to replace as protectors are.

My Galaxy S (which is supposed to use Gorrila Glass) had a small scratch on the screen after a month of use (no idea how) despite having carefully kept it in a pocket away from keys at all times. You can only see it held at an angle with a bright light reflecting but I now keep it in a case with a front cover cap just to be on the safe side.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    So I have the Droid 1. I've been having some problems with it lately where it randomly, without warning, restarts my phone. It's usually whenever I'm closing it/opening that it happens. So I'm thinking about going to Verizon and looking to get a replacement (I heard you can probably get the Droid 2 since they don't make the Droid 1 anymore).

I'm worried that since the phone could probably be refurbished and sent out to someone else, what can I do to ensure that all my information is wiped off of it? All applications I used and what information I put in there. My browsing history as well as records of information I put in.

I used my phone to pay bills, check bank accounts, buy stuff, and a lot of things like that. So my credit card, bank information, and other sensitive things are stored in the phone, I'm sure. I want to make sure that if it is refurbished and someone else gets it, they can't get any of my data off of it.

Also, I don't trust anyone to do this. I'm sure you'll say Verizon will do it, but assuming that they don't or forget. I usually am not paranoid about things like this, but I've never sent off a device that had all my information like this before. And the possibility of it being refurbished just frightens me.

No one has an answer to this question?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Okay so can someone explain this? Why can only some phones play MKVfiles natively? I don't get it. Aren't they using the same basic operating system? What would make a Samsung Galaxy be able to play an MKV while an Evo can not?

Hardware acceleration support. Support for given formats needs to be built into the chip.

I thought everyone is using that Snapdragon thing now.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited September 2010
    a master reset wipes the phone

maybe some kind of master hacker could get back in there and see the deleted information, but why the hell WOULD they?

Evander on
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

maybe some kind of master hacker could get back in there and see the deleted information, but why the hell WOULD they?

Credit card information, people's email addresses for spam.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think there's really much point to having a 7" Froyo tablet, just like there wasn't much point to a 5" Donut tablet (well, I guess that one was actually a phone still). But I also don't think there's much point to having a 10" iOS tablet either, so there it is.

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Well, actually, I can see why someone might want one. But for me I don't see much point in having any tablet.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I used to think along those same lines until I found myself going to my Droid 1 to check e-mail/forums/news/weather/twitter/music rather than walk into the other room, turn on my computer, wait for the bios to finish, wait for windows to load, login to windows, wait for logging in to finish, click firefox, wait for what feels like forever, close out the update notifications, then etc...

Tablets and their ilk suddenly made a lot more sense.
    So did Android televisions, actually.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Games!

Everyone needs to get Fruit Ninja right the hell now. Minisquadron is also amazing. Both are new. Homerun Baseball is pretty sweet. Can't stop with World War and Pocket Empires. There are a long list of people who love my phone and are going to buy one this month.

Very happy!

Simjanes2k on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have no use for an always connected Android Tablet that I have to pay ANOTHER $30 a month for.

I would, however, be somewhat interested in a Wifi Android Tablet that I could use around the house while watching things like TV or just hanging out. But yeah, not until Google retools android to better support the larger screen format.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I have no use for an always connected Android Tablet that I have to pay ANOTHER $30 a month for.

I would, however, be somewhat interested in a Wifi Android Tablet that I could use around the house while watching things like TV or just hanging out. But yeah, not until Google retools android to better support the larger screen format.

This. I want an android tablet, and I like the looks of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but I don't need a $30/month bill for it. I just want a wifi version with Google's app store.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, can I still get swype on my droid x or am I sunk?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got my Droid X 2 days ago, Swype is on there. I think u have to activate it some how.

Anyone have any good sounds (gaming or otherwise) for texts, missed messages?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010

Credit card information, people's email addresses for spam.

If you're paranoid, master reset the phone, fill it back with fake info, then reset it again.

If you're really really paranoid, shell out for a wholly new phone. That's the price for the privacy :P

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited September 2010

That's the CPU, media hardware acceleration is typically built in elsewhere. Usually the graphics chip.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got my Droid X 2 days ago, Swype is on there. I think u have to activate it some how.

Swype is installed on the X, go to Settings and Keyboard Input, you have to set it there.

For sounds and ringtones download Zedge. It's got everything you could ever want and its all free.

Allforce on
    edited September 2010

That's the CPU, media hardware acceleration is typically built in elsewhere. Usually the graphics chip.

Most Snapdragon phones were paired with godawful GPUs, too. Samsung's hummingbird processor has been paired with a pretty good GPU, as well as all of motorola's top end offerings (I think... droid/droid 2/droid x for sure, at least).

Dehumanized on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a variation in snapdragon processor specs too.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

Swype is installed on the X, go to Settings and Keyboard Input, you have to set it there.

For sounds and ringtones download Zedge. It's got everything you could ever want and its all free.

also ringdroid lets you extract a ringtone from any mp3

nexuscrawler on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have to say I like the regular typing more than swype. swype annoys me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have just started to install a minor update to 2.2 labelled 2.10.405.2

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I tried swype as well for a while but I mix English and Dutch so much (as well as puns) in the same message it's plain annoying with swype.

It's funky for showing off though at parties.

Alegis on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like Swype. I was merrily using it in an airport coffee shop the other week and an excited Dutchman started quizzing me on how I was finding it.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't hardly use a regular keyboard anymore, only swype. I sometimes use the swiftkey beta, but it is hard to get used to starting to type in a word and then selecting the word OR typing the whole word but then remembering to hit space.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My verdict on Swype was similar. It's a really neat technology, and a godsend for the majority of texters. However, if you use any sort of non-standard English, or if you insist your English actually be correct, then it's a huge hassle. Bust out the real keyboard.

gilrain on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't hardly use a regular keyboard anymore, only swype. I sometimes use the swiftkey beta, but it is hard to get used to starting to type in a word and then selecting the word OR typing the whole word but then remembering to hit space.

Yea... my swype install no longer working this morning was quite a bummer. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2010
    I tried out swiftkey but decided I didn't much like it over using the htc_ime mod keyboard... will probably try swype sometime down the road...

Dehumanized on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess I don't like swype partly because I don't exactly know how it works. I am fine with regular typing but maybe I'll watch a video.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.