As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember [Chat]

1565758596062»

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ok, new topic: RUSE

It's super, super rad. But the multiplayer servers are a fucking ghost town. I swear people have no taste nowadays.

The whole line of sight thing, only needing 20-25 minutes for a full and satisfying game, the rock fucking solid codebase (seriously, this thing has never crashed or disconnected on me once), the whole board-game-like motif are great.

oh hey you have RUSE too?

amazing

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    what is tyrannus doing?

I think watching the documentary about ENRON and getting pissed.

Not the worst thing to get pissed while watching. My favorite, I'm in a bad mood and want it to fester, documentary is Food Inc. though.

I thought Food Inc was awesome and I agree with the points but it doesn't make me mad. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I don't really contribute to many of the things it is calling out (I try and buy local and organic when I can).

ENRON I was completely unaware of until I watched the doc (too young/too dumb when it comes to economics), but I kind of saw a lot of Food Inc coming.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I were to play this music, would you feel compelled to reinstall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NWijcLywc

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

He's watching ENRON: The Smartest Guys in the Room. It's an awesome doc but it is incredible how unrealistically mustache-twirlingly evil these guys (and girls) were. It makes everybody really mad.

documentaries are great.

It's interesting to watch them develop narratives

I highly recommend My Kid Could Paint That and Street Fight for docs that have unbelievably compelling narratives.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

It's super, super rad. But the multiplayer servers are a fucking ghost town. I swear people have no taste nowadays.

The whole line of sight thing, only needing 20-25 minutes for a full and satisfying game, the rock fucking solid codebase (seriously, this thing has never crashed or disconnected on me once), the whole board-game-like motif are great.

amazing

Guys, tell me what is awesome about RUSE. I kind of want it.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

He's watching ENRON: The Smartest Guys in the Room. It's an awesome doc but it is incredible how unrealistically mustache-twirlingly evil these guys (and girls) were. It makes everybody really mad.

Want to really get him boiling?
    Tell him that a Supreme Court ruling this year has made it likely that Jeff Skilling will be out of jail soon.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow 1mb/s downloading the Ruse demo from Steam.

Vroom.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wouldn't a person who frequently drinks and dates be more at risk of "random" rape (ignoring the whole fact that most happen at home by significant others) overall if we are going by the stereotype?

Get this outta here

Seriously.

I don't think Will was kidding when he said "drop the fucking rape shit in [Chat]"

Shit like this needs to be stickied. People cant hang around [chat] 24\7 and expect to pick up on everything.

I don't think it's a permanent "You can never talk about this in [chat]" thing so much as it's been spilling over into [chat] way too much recently.

So I think it works just to have people mention it when it's brought up.

Meta-modding just pisses me off, and kinda makes me want to bring it up more.
    But that's the Aspie in me.

We're not meta-modding. We're letting you know that what you're posting? It might get your ass infracted because a mod had to come around and say "Knock it the fuck off".

On a completely unrelated note I was going to come in here and, research everyone who mentioned that cat thread in H/A and personally tell you all why I hate you and you're terrible but Ceres lock posts made up for the brain melting stupidity.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God I hate some of the people in my Freshman English class

Specifically phrases like "Oh my god I can't believe we have to write a 2-3 page essay every other week! I mean there's only so much you can say about your favorite movie. I talked to some people in another English class and they said they don't have to write any papers!" We get a number of writing prompts to choose from every other week and something about your favorite movie was just one of them.

I just don't...

Later on we were doing an in-class writing exercise. The professor showed us a photo, talked about the framing of it, the contrast, and various elements, and then we were to write about these things. After spending all this time explaining how to look at various elements and then having questions up on the projector about them, someone behind me said "I don't get what we're suppose to write about."

tl;dr : there are still dumb people in college and it pisses me off.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

You're a god damned monster you know that, right?

Luckily I lost my CDs awhile ago.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

Tell him that a Supreme Court ruling this year has made it likely that Jeff Skilling will be out of jail soon.

wadbajhsdfdasfjgvasfasda

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

I think watching the documentary about ENRON and getting pissed.

Not the worst thing to get pissed while watching. My favorite, I'm in a bad mood and want it to fester, documentary is Food Inc. though.

I thought Food Inc was awesome and I agree with the points but it doesn't make me mad. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I don't really contribute to many of the things it is calling out (I try and buy local and organic when I can).

ENRON I was completely unaware of until I watched the doc (too young/too dumb when it comes to economics), but I kind of saw a lot of Food Inc coming.

Its an awesome documentary, but I have no problem getting pissed at the things that happen in it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm fucking buddha, it's not a sex thing

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh Jesus. Had to force myself out of that nap.

And new keyboard is confusing my fingers.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

SPOILER ALERT (he hasn't finished yet)

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On a completely unrelated note I was going to come in here and, research everyone who mentioned that cat thread in H/A and personally tell you all why I hate you and you're terrible but Ceres lock posts made up for the brain melting stupidity.

Oh yeah, I didn't even read the thread, just the lock post :P

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    So in China the bottom is called the small receiver.

The top is called the small attacker.

this is awesome

Nooo I fell asleep and now you're can and I can't tell you the top can also be called Number 1.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

We're not meta-modding. We're letting you know that what you're posting? It might get your ass infracted because a mod had to come around and say "Knock it the fuck off".

I do disagree with her infracting the people who advocated spanking as a form of punishment.
    I however agree with her infracting the people who compared it to abuse, and/or hitting a child.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not meta-modding when a mod is doing it, Joker

Yeah in this case its more, "Hey just a few pages ago Will said not to do that so... well the choice is up to you"

That's just it, there isnt a mod doing it. There isnt a rule posted anywhere, there's just something a mod said and a bunch of people repeating it occasionaly. It wasnt in this [chat], was it? Because i searched for it and found bubkiss, so it hasnt been a couple of pages ago either.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah in this case its more, "Hey just a few pages ago Will said not to do that so... well the choice is up to you"

That's just it, there isnt a mod doing it. There isnt a rule posted anywhere, there's just something a mod said and a bunch of people repeating it occasionaly. It wasnt in this [chat], was it? Because i searched for it and found bubkiss, so it hasnt been a couple of pages ago either.

Will said it in this chat earlier when we were discussing rape.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It was in this chat.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

It was in this chat and a few pages ago. People were right to remind couscous that I asked everyone to knock off the rape debate in chat. There is a thread for that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here on page 81. I don't agree with it but its not my decision to make, just mine to follow.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

It was in this chat and a few pages ago. People were right to remind couscous that I asked everyone to knock off the rape debate in chat. There is a thread for that.

Will can you do something about the fact that there is a thread for that?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is why Will is number 1.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Will can you do something about the fact that there is a thread for that?

If it gets locked it'll just either pour into chat or a new thread opened in a couple of weeks. The best thing to do if you don't want to be involved with them is to ignore them.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah it was in this [Chat]. Probably 3 hours ago or so?

*edit* ok then beat'd hard.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    god you people are grumpy lately

Elendil on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

You're a god damned monster you know that, right?

Luckily I lost my CDs awhile ago.

I bet if you listened to the whole thing, you'd snap and strangle your neighbors for their discs.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    If I have time later tonight i'll take a look at it.

It's the kind of thread I feel like we need to have from time to time so people can get it out lf their systems

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Specifically phrases like "Oh my god I can't believe we have to write a 2-3 page essay every other week! I mean there's only so much you can say about your favorite movie. I talked to some people in another English class and they said they don't have to write any papers!" We get a number of writing prompts to choose from every other week and something about your favorite movie was just one of them.

I just don't...

Later on we were doing an in-class writing exercise. The professor showed us a photo, talked about the framing of it, the contrast, and various elements, and then we were to write about these things. After spending all this time explaining how to look at various elements and then having questions up on the projector about them, someone behind me said "I don't get what we're suppose to write about."

tl;dr : there are still dumb people in college and it pisses me off.

If college had been completely essay-based, I would have had an even more stress-free time.

God I love writing.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

My B, I missed it.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I just don't...

Don't get angry; use it as an opportunity to become the single best writer in the class.

desc on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

amazing

Guys, tell me what is awesome about RUSE. I kind of want it.

obvs the game incorporates deception in the form of ruses that you can use to deceive your opponent; either through simple stealth, decoys, or the dissemination of false information, etc

Certainly all RTS games rely on your ability to gather and process information, but in RUSE most of the other conventional RTS mechanics are stripped down and the intel related ones are emphasized to a basically unprecedented degree. Combine this with clear rock paper scissors mechanics, almost no micromanagement, and structures that are relatively fragile as all hell but crippling to lose and you have a 1v1 game that is all about positioning, information, and preempting your opponent in a way that no other game really comes close to. In fact it's not unusual for the game to be over a few minutes after the first shots are fired if you completely fooled your opponent.

In big team games it gets a little less tricksy and a little more conventionally RTS in terms of how the games play out, but the thoughtful pacing can definitely shine there as well. Although admittedly I've never played a lot of those. Or even the game since it was released. I've been looking for people to play with :v

That and I'm coming off an RTS high

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    This is why Will is number 1.

I am number one D&D mod by default these days :P

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If I have time later tonight i'll take a look at it.

It's the kind of thread I feel like we need to have from time to time so people can get it out lf their systems

Let them yell at each other for a hundred pages, go in, yell at them all for being horrible people, and lock it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    will is the coolest mod in the west 8-)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Time for a new chat guys

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.