As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

my [chat] is a good one, but here is how it goes

TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Post in this thread
NO GRUMPIES
don't tell Will that there are animes
I might get in trouble 8-)

You could be anywhere
On the black screen
Tarranon on

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I endorse this [chat] and its anti-grumpy rule

Elendil on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I HATE! YOU KNEW THAT WHEN YOU TOOK MY DEMON SEED!

Jokerman on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [chat], I choose YOU!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    every time somebody mentions Deus Ex I have to check if it's still borked for some reason

it is

Elendil on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Motorcycle [chat] is seriously the worst thing...

stevemarks44 on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My rant saved from the closing jaws of the previous [chat]:
    desc wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    God I hate some of the people in my Freshman English class

Specifically phrases like "Oh my god I can't believe we have to write a 2-3 page essay every other week! I mean there's only so much you can say about your favorite movie. I talked to some people in another English class and they said they don't have to write any papers!" We get a number of writing prompts to choose from every other week and something about your favorite movie was just one of them.

I just don't...

Don't get angry; use it as an opportunity to become the single best writer in the class.

Oh I am. The professor has read some of my stuff in front of the class because she liked it so much.

I've already been called a "teacher's pet" for just answering questions that the teacher asked the class.

I don't understand it. I mean I do but it's so reminiscent of high school. The teacher will ask a simple question like "What is wrong with this sentence?" and nobody will raise their hand. I can understand a certain percentage not knowing the answer, but I don't understand the rest of them.

I just cannot stand it when a professor asks a question and nobody has their hand raised, so inevitably I'm the one answering 3/4 of the questions, even after waiting to see if anyone else wants to take a stab at it.

And instead of this making me "not an idiot" it makes me a "teacher's pet."

I just... people still have this "OMFG DUMB ASS SCHOOL" attitude when they're in college.

Nobody is forcing you to be here!

Except with most of these people their parents probably are forcing them to be there and paying for it too, so it's just like high school to them.

:x

Nocturne on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Specifically phrases like "Oh my god I can't believe we have to write a 2-3 page essay every other week! I mean there's only so much you can say about your favorite movie. I talked to some people in another English class and they said they don't have to write any papers!" We get a number of writing prompts to choose from every other week and something about your favorite movie was just one of them.

I just don't...

Don't get angry; use it as an opportunity to become the single best writer in the class.

Oh I am. The professor has read some of my stuff in front of the class because she liked it so much.

I've already been called a "teacher's pet" for just answering questions that the teacher asked the class.

I don't understand it. I mean I do but it's so reminiscent of high school. The teacher will ask a simple question like "What is wrong with this sentence?" and nobody will raise their hand. I can understand a certain percentage not knowing the answer, but I don't understand the rest of them.

I just cannot stand it when a professor asks a question and nobody has their hand raised, so inevitably I'm the one answering 3/4 of the questions, even after waiting to see if anyone else wants to take a stab at it.

I just... people still have this "OMFG DUMB ASS SCHOOL" attitude when they're in college.

Except with most of these people their parents probably are forcing them to be there and paying for it too, so it's just like high school to them.

What year are you? I found this a lot my freshman and sometimes sophomore year, but once you start taking a more specialized elective based schedule, people are much more open more often.

stevemarks44 on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That sounds more like middle school then high school.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah unfortunately I just started back to college so I'm in all Freshman classes right now.

Nocturne on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Note I'm talking about the teacher's pet thing, not the not answering questions.

DeShadowC on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I notice that the rules in this chat don't prohibit rape or shoplifting. I feel as though perhaps they should be discussed as I have 3 minutes left of work.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    this is a p. neat chat

Nerdgasmic on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So

funny story

after the raking over the coals I got last night about Nickie not being on any of our accounts

and a separate thing where I told her something a while ago but she refused to believe I had because she "never forgets important stuff"

tonight she tells me as she's getting in the car that she needs to drop the water bill off at the city office because it's due today.

I tell her nah, just mail it, they don't really do anything if it's a day or two late.

Then I look at the bill and it has SHUTOFF NOTICE in bigass font written across it.

Because back in July when the water bill came, she forgot to pay it.

And 3 weeks ago when the shutoff notice came she forgot to pay it.

And it's been riding around in her purse for 3 weeks not getting paid until today, the date that the water is supposed to be shut off.

Fortunately the city is slow and we still have water. I don't know how it's going to go Monday though, my luck they'll send someone out to shut it off before they find and process the payment.

But man

that was a long, silent drive home tonight.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I endorse the rules of this one.

Nocturne on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I notice that the rules in this chat don't prohibit rape or shoplifting. I feel as though perhaps they should be discussed as I have 3 minutes left of work.
    Rapelifting.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I gotta pee so bad

I'm not rational at all right now

this must be what demonic possession feels like

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Rapelifting.

shop-ping

Nerdgasmic on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I'm out. Enjoy the ride in your new Chatilac

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Rapelifting.

shop-ping
    But

that's

already

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    chico buarque <3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren you ignored me on LoTRO, so much lack of love.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    So

funny story

after the raking over the coals I got last night about Nickie not being on any of our accounts

and a separate thing where I told her something a while ago but she refused to believe I had because she "never forgets important stuff"

tonight she tells me as she's getting in the car that she needs to drop the water bill off at the city office because it's due today.

I tell her nah, just mail it, they don't really do anything if it's a day or two late.

Then I look at the bill and it has SHUTOFF NOTICE in bigass font written across it.

Because back in July when the water bill came, she forgot to pay it.

And 3 weeks ago when the shutoff notice came she forgot to pay it.

And it's been riding around in her purse for 3 weeks not getting paid until today, the date that the water is supposed to be shut off.

Fortunately the city is slow and we still have water. I don't know how it's going to go Monday though, my luck they'll send someone out to shut it off before they find and process the payment.

But man

that was a long, silent drive home tonight.

no wider than your thumb, brah

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I crashed

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXxfkpNMTU

so this page can enjoy him too

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I crashed

No worries, just joshing yah.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, fucking kids.

I was about to play Halo with a friend, and the landlord's 12 year old son just randomly hopped into my party before we got started. I explained to him that my friend and I were about to play some 2-player coop and he's just like "Well, we can play 3 player coop, can't we?" Before I could come up with a reasonable way to explain that I just wanted to play with the one friend, the friend was like "yeah, I think it goes up to 4" so it's like okay, here goes.

Cue 2 hours of inane ranting and team-killing. My friend finally ended up booting the kid. Now I get to go down in an hour to play D&D with his family and explain the situation. Fucking kids.

Silas Brown on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ell, did you know that I sold all of the items?

all of them >8)

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have one major issue with the Mothership Zeta DLC:
    I have a fucking space ship equipped with a death ray now. Running around in the wastes exchanging shots with my pea shooter doesn't seem appropriate.

Quid on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    I have a fucking space ship equipped with a death ray now. Running around in the wastes exchanging shots with my pea shooter doesn't seem appropriate.

You didn't have an issue with the hallways all being pretty bland like:
    Raven Rock?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    ok that was jarring

i ate some wings, and i was sucking the sauce off my fingers, rapidly from finger to finger

and most of them sounded like those stereotypical 'smacking' sounds but the last finger, as it left my mouth, i sort of sounded like girls sound when they're sucking dick- that area that's a little deep for comfort, but not deep enough to gag? that noise

<-- has had a lot of BJs

Organichu on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing that really chafes about my college classes are the compulsory courses. I've got a class that everyone needs to take that basically is about how to use the Microsoft Office suite, and to access the modules required to actually take the lessons and tests, you need to pay just upwards of 20 bucks. For each group of assignments related to whatever program you're using. It totals up to about $90 if you pay for them separately or $80 all at once, but dammit, that cost should be taken care of in the tuition fees. If they're going to sell us something extra for the course, it should at least be resellable like a textbook.

There's another that's about professional communications, which really pisses me off because the textbook is maybe half an inch thick and softcover. It cost me $125, not including taxes. I mean, what the fuck is that shit? The other textbooks I have an appreciation for because I get a lot more out of them since they have a lot of content, not to mention the fact that totalled their price just edges out what I paid for one shitty book.

That's really all I can complain about about college, though.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rapelifting.
    carrot-top-plastic-surgery-body.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldrens

anyone

say hi to me in LOTRO

Eilodie

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Elldrens

anyone

say hi to me in LOTRO

Eilodie

it keeps crashing on me

i really want to play

i'm curious enough that i'm almost ready to reformat my win seven partition to try to get it working again

Organichu on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

You didn't have an issue with the hallways all being pretty bland like:
    Raven Rock?

I haven't done that yet.

And I was more concerned with the actual gaping hole in logic. It's like not riding the eagle to Mount Doom. There are other gaps but that one just really gets me.

Quid on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I just don't...

When it's not your time or money, it's easy to be glib and childish with privileges like a higher education. The reason I say it's not even worth getting mad over is that these people will eventually get the lightbulb over the head, but it's sure as fuck not your job to wait for them to have that experience.

I'm familiar with the anonymous reading of a paper to the class experience, and that's a sign that you're Winning. I'm sure that for your professor, the people who even think in terms like "teacher's pet" are essentially static interfering with the signal. I have a few friends who are teachers, and they all kind of focus on the key students who are putting serious work in, regardless of what tier of education they teach in. They know where the return on investment is.

Do you talk to this instructor before/after class or during office hours? Guarantee you they recognize you because you're engaged with the material, whereas half their other students are a blur.

desc on
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Elldrens

anyone

say hi to me in LOTRO

Eilodie

it keeps crashing on me

i really want to play

i'm curious enough that i'm almost ready to reformat my win seven partition to try to get it working again

I did that.

Launching nows

Tarr: woot!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As much as I hate to make generalizations about entire classes of people...
    ...college freshmen are by and large morons.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thing that really chafes about my college classes are the compulsory courses. I've got a class that everyone needs to take that basically is about how to use the Microsoft Office suite, and to access the modules required to actually take the lessons and tests, you need to pay just upwards of 20 bucks. For each group of assignments related to whatever program you're using. It totals up to about $90 if you pay for them separately or $80 all at once, but dammit, that cost should be taken care of in the tuition fees. If they're going to sell us something extra for the course, it should at least be resellable like a textbook.

There's another that's about professional communications, which really pisses me off because the textbook is maybe half an inch thick and softcover. It cost me $125, not including taxes. I mean, what the fuck is that shit? The other textbooks I have an appreciation for because I get a lot more out of them since they have a lot of content, not to mention the fact that totalled their price just edges out what I paid for one shitty book.

That's really all I can complain about about college, though.

Bullshit prices for textbooks is the worst thing about university, just be glad you arent in the sciences or engineering.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
This discussion has been closed.