As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is glorious, but is it safe?

0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns.Registered User regular
Alright, TL;DR if you don't want to read; Old hardware got old, bought a new machine, case was too small, got tired of it and just jerry-rigged it together.

Long story is, I originally had an Alienware Aurora. Thing was fantastic, still is, but the CPU was getting dated. My mom decided to buy me a new computer instead of going out to get a CPU, which would have been the smart thing to do. Anyways, we get an HP with a much better CPU and all-around hardware, but with a really shitty graphics card. The old machine had a GeForce 8800GTX, so I decided to just stick it in there.

But that's where the problems begin. The GeForce requires a relatively beefy power supply - the issue with that is the case on the HP is really, really cramped. As in, you can't get anything over the stock 300w power supply inside the case without using a hacksaw. So we buy a new PSU, which they told us would fit. But then it only had one 6-pin connector, and the 8800 needed two. Also, it didn't fit. So I decided, well, fuck it, if we're going to have to mount it outside, I'm going to grab the PSU I know is adequate - the one from my Alienware.

And this is the result.

Pictures in Spoiler.
imag0008at.jpg
imag0009o.jpg
imag0010l.jpg

u4OkoEI.png
0Replace4Displace on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy fuck what did you do...

I think your primary concerns here are making sure the PSU is grounded to the case (probably already is through the mobo or some other connection, but I'd recommend also hooking up some sort of grounding strap directly from PSU frame to case), and making sure those molex connectors can't accidentally be shorted.

Aside from that...well...I guess it's safe. Crazy, but hey.

EDIT: Also, I'd obviously recommend that eventually you ditch the tape and go with something a little sturdier, like drilling holes on the top/side/back of the case to mount it to.

mcdermott on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just go buy a new case.

You can get a half decent case with no PSU, full atx, for 20 bucks.

Buttcleft on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Generally I'd say it's safe as long as you know your way around the internals of a computer. My older PC never has its side on to its case. I mean, I don't have the PSU taped to the fucking top, but oh well.

It's gonna get dusty as shit in there if you don't have a powerful fan, though. There's where the most danger lies.

Topia on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You might have some issues with proper airflow, since you're running the system with no sideplate. You've effectively removed the front-to-back flow of air that cools off components that don't have a fan sitting on top of them.
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Just go buy a new case.

You can get a half decent case with no PSU, full atx, for 20 bucks.

Bingo.

Or you could just use the Aurora case.

SmokeStacks on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, why not use the Aurora case? It won't fit or something?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited September 2010
    I never assume that a computer from companies like HP or Dell uses a standard ATX motherboard that can actually fit easily in a standard ATX case. They like to do proprietary shit. Hence the reason he can't just throw a standard ATX power supply in there.

But, assuming the orientation and hole pattern is to the ATX standard on the mobo, I would recommend you start saving and just pick up a new case.

mcdermott on
    edited September 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I never assume that a computer from companies like HP or Dell uses a standard ATX motherboard that can actually fit easily in a standard ATX case. They like to do proprietary shit. Hence the reason he can't just throw a standard ATX power supply in there.

But, assuming the orientation and hole pattern is to the ATX standard on the mobo, I would recommend you start saving and just pick up a new case.

every HP motherboard I've delt with met the standards as far as mount hole placement.

Buttcleft on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really have nothing to add to this thread. I just wanted to say "holy crap".

So...

Holy crap

tardcore on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread proves there is no problem that cannot be solved with sufficient application of [strike]high explosives[/strike] duct tape.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had something similar set up while trying to get my five-year-old Dell to run SC2 during the beta. I snagged an old 8800 GTX, but had to scavenge an extra power supply to run the card—so my case was open with two PSUs hooked up to various parts and wires running everywhere. (Note: there's a couple of pins on the main power connector that determine if it's hooked up to a motherboard by checking if there's a circuit. You'll have to short them out if you want to operate a PSU without actually connecting it to a motherboard.)

Never had any trouble of any kind, although once I could afford it I built a new system (which is happily running in a nice, closed case).

From your description it sounds like you've actually got a single PSU with enough power to run your equipment, so it's just a matter of finding space. As others have said, it shouldn't be too hard to fit everything in your old case or, failling that, buy a new one.

CycloneRanger on
  • OcculusOcculus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

And this is the result.

Pictures in Spoiler.

Holy FU-

:o

:lol:

I guess it does fix everything...

Occulus on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why the fuck didn't you just fit the new parts in the old case with your power supply? I mean if you're going to do mad max post apocolypse bullshit you've invalidated your warantee anyway, so?

Falken on
    edited September 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    This thread proves there is no problem that cannot be solved with sufficient application of [strike]high explosives[/strike] duct tape.

actually this probably probably could have been fixed with precision explosive use, as well.

Buttcleft on
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bride-of-frankenstein.jpg

Frankenbox!

Greenish on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never owned an Alienware system, so I don't know if it has some proprietary form factor or something... but if it's not, would it be feasible to throw all the parts of the new HP into the old Alienware case?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, it's quite safe. Anything that needs to ground out through the PSU will already do so from the optical and hard drives that are physically touching the metal of the case.

Screw the haters :). I'm 100% in favour of fixes that work and don't cost money. Also love open cases.

Ego on
    Erik
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think those pics need to go on There, I Fixed It

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited September 2010
    I think those pics need to go on There, I Fixed It

Oh my god

that website.

Buttcleft on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Falken wrote: »
    Why the fuck didn't you just fit the new parts in the old case with your power supply? I mean if you're going to do mad max post apocolypse bullshit you've invalidated your warantee anyway, so?

This man speaks truth. You see, normally when you have two boxen of fruit, and you need to move a grapefruit from box A into box B to provide sufficient electricity, and it won't fit? But if you dumped out all the slower bananas/mangoes in box A and placed the contents of box B, plus the grapefruit, into box A? And auctioned off the aforementioned bananas on ebay for modest sums of money? And ate the obsolete, yet delicious mangoes?

That's normally how we roll.

Frem on
    edited September 2010
    Well, to be fair, the Aurora case is fuckugly.

SmokeStacks on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should have used zipties instead of tape for the wires running into the case. Itd be way cleaner and look less what the fuck.

Other than that, its fine.

Also, for future advice, they make 4-pin molex to 6-pin connectors for exactly the scenario you ran into, power supply not having enough 6 pin plugs.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yea, you should go for something... a bit more permanent than duct tape, but at least some of it is mounted in a case.

I ran my current computer for a week and a half without any case at all, because I, umm, forgot to order one and didn't want to wait.
    dsc_0526.jpg

Roland_tHTG on
    edited September 2010
    Roland wins everything forever.

That is glorious.

mcdermott on
    edited September 2010
    Yea, you should go for something... a bit more permanent than duct tape, but at least some of it is mounted in a case.

I ran my current computer for a week and a half without any case at all, because I, umm, forgot to order one and didn't want to wait.
    dsc_0526.jpg

I did that once, well, not that exactly.

I nailed my motherboard to the wall, but otherwise yeah.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2010
    casehang1.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Thats electrical tape :P

Arrath on
    edited September 2010
    casehang1.jpg

I am sorely tempted to scrap together a crap system just to have it mounted like that.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure you could do a much better pc mobile than that.

Roland_tHTG on
  • DeathsHandsDeathsHands Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Damn, Roland. That is glorious.

I mean, jeez, just skipping the case.... lol. Must've had epic cooling when the ceiling fan was on.

DeathsHands on
    6:13 PM - Mr. Bitey: These puzzles could be totally easier if I could fly.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love doing that.

Probably a lot of why I've wound up a techy motherfucker is that as a kid, whenever my dad would fuck up our 486 or whatever and have to fix it, he'd take it out of the case entirely because cases pissed him off, and just leave the PC spread out all over a couple of desks when he got it working. So eight-year-old me would get up in the morning to go play some worms and turn on the computer by shorting the jumper on the board.

LaCabra on
    edited September 2010
    Well, for the record, I didn't exactly skip buying the case. It was more of a result of what happens when a combination of a budget set by the [strike]accountant[/strike] significant other coincides with about 200 different potential newegg builds over a couple of months. I took quite a few pics during building it and never got around to posting them in the build thread. I should really get around to doing that sometime. An interesting side note is my temps inside the case are virtually no different than when it was laid out in the open.

Also, LaCabra I would be so pissed at my kids if they did that. Only dad turns on the pc with a screwdriver dammit.

Roland_tHTG on