As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tekken tag 2- Console version out Sep, includes new characters

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/6276473/?tag=top_stories;play_btn;1
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 General Info:

As everyone knows… The previously announced Street Fighter X TEKKEN and TEKKEN X Street Fighter titles are part of an overall “Fighting Game Festival.” But, the first title in the “festival” is announced today (at TOUGEKI)… TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2. Tentatively scheduled for a Summer 2011 arcade release in Japan.

TEKKEN fans are in for a real treat as the order of releases for games will be:

1. TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2
2. Street Fighter X TEKKEN
3. TEKKEN X Street Fighter

Today’s teaser trailer is in-game footage, not CG. It might look similar to TEKKEN 6, but the graphics engine has been tweaked/improved to support up to 4 characters on screen at once. The character models were redone from TEKKEN 6 moving onward to TTT2.

TTT2 will follow the same control scheme as the original Tekken Tag Tournament: One stick for movement and 5 action buttons. As seen in the teaser, there will be tag combos involving both characters tagging in and out-in succession to complete multi-hit combos/juggles. Walled stages remain and breakable walls/floors are still in the game. New mechanics and stage features will also be implemented. As seen in the trailer, there are some possible unique attacks depending on the character teams that are chosen (Ex. Jin & Asuka).

Several characters are featured in the trailer, but the character lineup will not be announced for some time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL9TOUuDb8

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    YES!!!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck yeah! I wasn't a big fan of Tekken 6 but man, I've been waiting for Tag 2 for years. Bought'd.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    It never ends, does it? Another permutation to the combo calculation.

Baek x Raven - Say goodbye to the floor, little bitch.

Lili x Christie - Have button-mashing, will flip the fuck out!

Lei x Yoshimitsu - "FUUUUUUUCK DID YOU SEE THAT!?!"

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had fun with the first TTT, but haven't really played any of the more recent Tekken games due to not having a 360 or PS3. One of my friends is getting a 360 and I think I'll try to convince him to get this when it comes out.

Is it counting the tag button as an action button? That's the only way I can get it to 5.

Peewi on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tekken Tag was my favourite Tekken. Why has it taken them this long to make another?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited September 2010
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Tekken Tag was my favourite Tekken. Why has it tekken them this long to make another?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No more agonising over dropping Lee for Lars.

I can play em both!

L^2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL9TOUuDb8&feature=player_embedded

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tekken Tag was my favourite Tekken. Why has it tekken them this long to make another?

Why quote yourself? o_O

Antihippy on
    edited September 2010
    The first time he said taken.

Presumably he realised that could also be a pun and came back to replace it with tekken.

Also antihippy you should stick that link with the youtube trailer in the op. It's a lot easier to just load it in the page. If they want the HD they can go to the first link.

Morninglord on
    edited September 2010
    Oh wait.

That was so lame I totally missed it. :P

Antihippy on
    edited September 2010
    I just wanted to get the credit for the pun before anyone else stole it.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are no words. It's been so long!

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy cow. That's certainly surprising.

It's amazing how fighting games have been the one consistently great genre this current gen.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope they have a bit more than a 10 year old game mechanic to help spice up Tekken after that lackluster #6.

As a fan, here's hoping. As a cynic, I doubt it.

Lilnoobs on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I love Tekken 6. I don't even care what you guys say. Pretty excited for this, too.

BloodySloth on
  • Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sweet buttery Moses the excitment is indescribable. Tekken Tag is one of my favorite games ever.

Hopefully Namco will make it slightly less juggle dependant this time around. I know juggling is Tekkens thing but still

Kyoka Suigetsu on
    edited September 2010
    http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/216615/heres-your-tekken-tag-2/
    This game will have the largest roster of any Tekken game yet.
    There will be a significant number of returning characters that didn't make the roster in Tekken 6 or Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion.
    Like Tekken Tag, this game exists as a side-story to the main Tekken plot.
    The developer is making some key tweaks to combat to improve on what Tekken 6 contributed to the fighting game genre. In particular, Harada told us to "watch out for" floating mechanics.

Antihippy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't get it?

What was wrong with 6 exactly?

I'm not really a big Tekken person, but it seemed pretty Tekken-y to me.

Either way, I never played the original TTT so I'll probably try this.

Dragkonias on
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God

DAAAAAAAAAAMN

Cannot wait. Looking forward to playing as Kunimitsu and Devil again. And that trailer looks like it's got some young Heihachi clone at the beggining and end judging by the hair.

But maining Hwaorang and Lee to the top, maybe peppering in some Kazuya or Xiaoyu along the way.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
    edited September 2010
    The only legit complaint I can see is rage, because it is inoffensively dumb as a gameplay concept much like ultras.

Other people don't like juggling for some reason. Though the game doesn't really revolve around them contrary to popular belief and most of them come from fuck ups in footsie and spacing games. They're just combos.

People don't like the bound system though I don't really know why. Just another way to combo for me.

Also, the graphics aren't too hot but people got to remember that it was made in 2007.

Antihippy on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sweet, the only good Tekken game finally gets a sequel! Hands down the best soundtrack in the series too: I loved the schoolyard and Lei stages.

Moioink on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There really aren't that many characters to add to Tekken Tag that weren't in 6 are there? I was always under the impression Tekken pretty much retains all it's characters from sequel to sequel. With the exception of some identical except for the name characters ( 2 Laws, Roger vs Roger Jr, etc ...) and a couple of the really crazy characters (the little dinosaur thing, Dr. whatshisname)

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited September 2010
    Dr bosconovitch.

I personally hope he makes it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y1lQ2V-XcY

Also, I want jun just so I don't have to learn anyone too different from asuka because I'm lazy. :P

Antihippy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why don't they just add the tag feature to regular Tekken games? Seems more reasonable than doing an entirely new game just for that.

Also, Tagken.

reVerse on
  • MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope they give us all of the latest Jack-#'s:
    Jack-2, Prototype-Jack, Gun-Jack, Jack-5, Jack-6. ALL TOGETHER!

My favorite & most powerful teams in the original were a mish-mash of J-2, P-J & G-J.

Merculore on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only thing I want is a 'Tekken 2' like OST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3X6J8A6eo

Casually Hardcore on
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've always thought it'd be neat if they had a feature where you could edit the soundtrack. As in, you could unlock tracks from other tekken games and then make them play on certain stages. Tekken Tag would be the perfect game to do it in.

Such as "Be In the Mirror" playing on the cathedral stage.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRiAEzoGG4c&feature=related

Also, I hope they keep on with customizing costumes and junk.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can do that with VF5R, just hold down start and a stick direction as the fight loads to get music from VF1-5. Namco aren't adverse to copying Sega so maybe they'll do that.

Moioink on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Why don't they just add the tag feature to regular Tekken games? Seems more reasonable than doing an entirely new game just for that.

Also, Tagken.
    I kinda wondered about that, myself, but there are some technical issues. A "pure" Tekken game only has Left Punch, Left Kick, Right Punch, Right Kick (though most folks assign the shoulder buttons to combinations of the four). Tekken Tag Tournament (the first one) added a Tag button, which is only used for that game. It's not only used for switching characters, though, as there are several assist moves that are used in conjunction with that button. This means adding assist combos/throws (new animations), special character assists (more animations), assist wall-bashing/destructible terrain moves (did I mention more animations?), etc. With the boatload of characters available now for Tekken and the myriad of customization options, I'm sure getting all of the tag appropriate animations into the game would have been a huge headache. It would be a nightmare to QA test, to be sure.

Also, the engines for the more recent Tekken games were not optimized for having 4 characters in one battle, as there were significant load times for just loading in the stages and 2 characters. I think it was just a matter of developing a better engine that can handle 4 characters (with a HUGE amount of custom outfits and clothing) and 1 arena for the current gen, and I'd imagine that takes some time.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Also, Tagken.
    I kinda wondered about that, myself, but there are some technical issues. A "pure" Tekken game only has Left Punch, Left Kick, Right Punch, Right Kick (though most folks assign the shoulder buttons to combinations of the four). Tekken Tag Tournament (the first one) added a Tag button, which is only used for that game. It's not only used for switching characters, though, as there are several assist moves that are used in conjunction with that button. This means adding assist combos/throws (new animations), special character assists (more animations), assist wall-bashing/destructible terrain moves (did I mention more animations?), etc. With the boatload of characters available now for Tekken and the myriad of customization options, I'm sure getting all of the tag appropriate animations into the game would have been a huge headache. It would be a nightmare to QA test, to be sure.

Also, the engines for the more recent Tekken games were not optimized for having 4 characters in one battle, as there were significant load times for just loading in the stages and 2 characters. I think it was just a matter of developing a better engine that can handle 4 characters (with a HUGE amount of custom outfits and clothing) and 1 arena for the current gen, and I'd imagine that takes some time.
    Story wise, it's a 1 on 1 tournament, not a team tournament.

Tekken Tag games were not canon.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So are we predicting a similar "Everybody Ever!" character roster or will they pare it down because of memory issues.

As long as Zafina makes it in, I think Day 1 purchase.

Taramoor on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Namco basically broke their own storyline to bring back pretty much every T2 Character in T5/T6.

I'd bet everything on everyone, PLUS a few extra. I wouldn't be suprised if goddamn Naruto made it in.

Except Gon, because he's terrible.

Transporter on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My dream is for an Alex with his own movelist instead of just a Roger reskin

but really if he's in the game at all that would be awesome

I want my kung fu Velociraptor back

BloodySloth on
    edited September 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So are we predicting a similar "Everybody Ever!" character roster or will they pare it down because of memory issues.

As long as Zafina makes it in, I think Day 1 purchase.

Largest character roster ever.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/18/interview-katushiro-harada-talks-tekken-tag-tournament-2/

Actually, that doesn't have the information I just mentioned.

Fuck I can't find where I saw that now. I did see it somewhere!

Morninglord on
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it's from my post from a page back? :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16634356&postcount=18

Antihippy on
    edited November 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STo3TH965hE

New footage from MLG, GET IT WHILE IT"S STILL UP!

King + armour king team moves are fucking beastly. :mrgreen:

Antihippy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It should make sense that the wrestling characters have good tag attacks.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010
    Also, improved character models.

T6 on left and TTT2 on right.

A6gNX.png

Antihippy on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I kind of like the left one a little more than the other.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited November 2010
    The right one does have a bit more detail too it though.

Also, I didn't notice that Jin's hair had been downgraded in T6.

Dragkonias on