As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brütal Legend - Anyone still playing online (360)?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
brutal_legend_oxm.jpg

So I finally got around to buying Brütal Legend about 2 weeks ago and I've been playing it to hell, because frankly, even with it's faults it's incredibly fun just to ramp off stuff to heavy metal. I accidentally wiped my 96% completion save so decided to restart to go through the game again with some downloadable content.

I was wondering if anyone still played multiplayer on Xbox Live. I have a month's gold subby MS sent me in good faith after they repaired my RROD and feel like playing some stage battles (even though i hate and such at RTS games I'm milking this game for all it's worth). I don't want to waste this free month if no-one is playing online.

If anyone can let me know if I'll be able to find opponents if I want to play online I'd be greatful, or, if someone wants to play some just add me (HotleadJ). I'll be grabbing the hammer of infinite fate for the costumes and radar/GPS so if you grabbed those maps and want to whip someone at them gimmie a holler.

Feel free to chat about the game too

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The good news is that Xbox Live has plenty of people playing. Wow's it's almost been a year since it came out. I still play it between Reach sessions. It being the first true Sacrifice clone and all, I play it like we wont see another for ten years.

You gots RTS in my action, now they taste better!

There was quite a following here, and we have our own multiplayer guide actually. Kor, myself, and a bunch of others wrote a detailed multiplayer guide to help people out, then Brad Muir, the father of the Stage Battles, talked with some of us for input on the multiplayer.

If enough people show interest, I will move the guide over here again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh awesome. I'm having trouble finding opponents with the matchmaking system (also, didnt realise it was a free gold weekend) and I've only played 2 matches as Ironheade but actually had a ton of fun and won both, the first lasted half an hour and was actually a damn good back and forth for my first ever game. I'm surprised how fluid the whole system seems when you are in multiplayer. Never thought I'd have fun playing an online RTS :P

I'd love to play any of you PA folks, hit me up (HotleadJ)

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Read that guide, because Imma go run some errands and if I find you I'll invite you and show you how to rock at this game. Players of every skill level play this, and believe me, the high players curb-stomp people.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Read that guide, because Imma go run some errands and if I find you I'll invite you and show you how to rock at this game. Players of every skill level play this, and believe me, the high players curb-stomp people.

I'll try and get on in a few hours.

I've been reading the thread you linked me and am really impressed with how people played it/enjoyed it. Frankly I'm terrible at RTS games but BL seems to address every issue I have with RTS games, keeping maps/armies small so I'm not too overwhelmed with massive maps and micromanaging, plus letting you drop in and kick ass/melt faces instead of just watching the battle and issuing orders like most RTS games. I always hate losing a portion of my army in an rts but in this it doesnt seem like a huge deal sometimes since you can just fill in for the dead units while you recruit more. Plus I love divebombing into a battle and battling the other player's avatar.

My major regret is getting into the game when not many people play it anymore, never really liked or was any good at any RTS games until this came along. I've only lost 1 online match out of about 7 or so. It's fun, im finiding it easy to manage and my more twitch based way of gaming helps a ton in avatar battles.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

I'll try and get on in a few hours.

I've been reading the thread you linked me and am really impressed with how people played it/enjoyed it. Frankly I'm terrible at RTS games but BL seems to address every issue I have with RTS games, keeping maps/armies small so I'm not too overwhelmed with massive maps and micromanaging, plus letting you drop in and kick ass/melt faces instead of just watching the battle and issuing orders like most RTS games. I always hate losing a portion of my army in an rts but in this it doesnt seem like a huge deal sometimes since you can just fill in for the dead units while you recruit more. Plus I love divebombing into a battle and battling the other player's avatar.

My major regret is getting into the game when not many people play it anymore, never really liked or was any good at any RTS games until this came along. I've only lost 1 online match out of about 7 or so. It's fun, im finiding it easy to manage and my more twitch based way of gaming helps a ton in avatar battles.

That's exactly right, except the game rewards you the most for attacking in specific ways.

The most powerful attacks in the game are the Double Teams. The game punishes players who go at it who try to play like they're Lu Bu. Dying gives the other player +50 Fans. Instead, casting a buffing solo like Battle Cry, and stacking the power on top of a Double Team attack, is the most important Ironheade strategy. The hard part is getting people out of the Starcraft mentality or Dynasty Warriors mentality because playing either way is deadly wrong.

Tell that to these guys though. The very premise flew way over their head.
    682322769_QBTLJ-L.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    They slapped one genre on top of another, marveling at their ingenuity.
    Tycho wrote:
    Apparently there is a flag you can carry so that units will automatically move to your position when they spawn. That's a great idea, it's such a great goddamn idea that it should be how the game automatically works.

That doesn't stop people from flying alone to the opposite side and killing as much as they can by themselves. Advanced players do it all the time. I'm too protective of my units and I don't do that for better or worse (seriously, I get curbstomed a lot). Instead I try and set up punishments for players who do that. As Ironheade, I'll immediately make Razor Girls first, cast Battle Cry and then watch them. If a player gets close, I'll immediately cast Anvil of Burden and chain them to the ground, Double Team with a Razor Girl, and then watch them die in three shots.

Tainted Coil is in the most vulnerable position in the beginning because Battle Nuns do not have high health. In the beginning, I immediately cast Agony Boil, putting a bomb on the ground, then I command Defend right next to it so the Battle Nun is close to it. Then when it's growing demon-babies, the bomb is hard to see. If someone comes near it, the bomb goes off and they go flying and I can finish them off. Agony Boils are amazing for defense, rather than roadside bombs.

As long as it's PM, there are people on in the US, UK and Europe of every skill level. Right now I am going to eat out and possibly see Scott Pilgrim for a third time. But I will be switching back and forth between Reach and this.

Oh, and one of the top players here, The Morkai, hates RTS games. :P I on the other hand have seen these kinds of RTS games before and I collect them. They're pretty rare, so I have no choice but to make my own someday.

Cantido on