As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in MMO Extravaganza
World of Darkness Online
city1pg.jpg
Developer - CCP Games (Mostly known for EVE Online)
Release Date - Cancelled
Platform - PC

z6934425X.jpg

F.A.Q.
  • What is this? World of Darkness Online is a MMORPG based in the World of Darkness universe originally created by White Wolf Studios. Mostly known for the table top Vampire series, which went on to make two video games, and a short TV series.
  • Who is CCP? CCP Games is a developing company who specializes in the MMO category. They are mostly known for their PC game EVE Online, where the player controls a spacecraft and travels around the literal unlimited bounds of space doing missions, creating fleets, and hunting space pirates. In 2006, CCP bought White Wolf Studios in hopes of expanding to the table top genre, as well as gaining rights to produce World Of Darkness online.
  • What do you play as? Vampires only. The general idea is that you play as a human and get turned into a vampire. However it is suggested that you can stay as a human and become a ghoul or a hunter.
  • Are there any other WoD based video games? Two actually.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVBIycJjaEVampire - Redemption was the first of the two and offers similar RPG gameplay to Diablo. It's a bit dated but it's still worth a look to interested fans. I haven't played it much so there's not much I can say about it, however I heard from friends who have beaten the game that it was a lot of fun at the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL90iPahGkoThe second of which was Vampire - Bloodlines. A game developed by Troika based on early versions of the source engine. The game was more of a solo RPG rather than a party system like the previous game and had very dramatic and Gothic overtones for the time. You play as a newly turned and unscheduled vampire who must prove themselves to the local prince. The player is tossed through various missions and objectives to get to the end of the storyline. The game features heavy RPG elements, a third/first person perspective, and an interactive story that changes based on the users choices in the game. Though being critically acclaimed for it's time, it suffers from several bugs and glitches from Troika's programming. An unofficial fan-based patch has been running since release and is still being developed today which features numerous bug fixes, as well as an optional +plus setting which gives the game additional content including new classes, quests and items. To me, Bloodlines is a cult classic.
What we know
    Large list of information posted from planet-vampire.com in the 'latest news' section. Thanks again His Corkiness for the post.
Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Wsf31WIdYThe leaked video from the grand masquerade convention. It's a CGI demo that was thrown together to show concept art and the general themes of the MMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf26ZhHz6uMAn nVidia APEX physics demonstration of hair and clothing for CCP Games. No where on the video does it label it as WoD video, however no other CCP product known uses that kind of clothing and structure. It also fits the atmosphere for WoD and is speculated as such.
Latest News
-9/23-26/2010 - Here's a list of information that was given out during the grand masquerade courtesy of planet-vampire.com (thanks his royal corkiness)
-A CCP source told him they are very near the end of pre-production and is beginning full-blown production. They in fact have a PLAYABLE version of the game, although it is so rudimentary that it is not worth the effort of demoing.

- due to a licensing issues between CCP and Wizards of the Coast, they are going to be discontinuing the Vampire: the Eternal struggle collective card game. They said that the fans could however, keep the game alive, by loyally continuing to play.

- Lone Wolf Development has been outsourced work from CCP to start generating a suite of tools to make only RP and ST easier for players that choose that venue.

- They have also hired DriveThruRPG.com to provide a 'print-to-order' service for their ENTIRE backlog of White Wolf books and resources. That means that all the Masquerade books should be easily available again. Also, to clarify, 'print-to-order' means that when you order the book, the distributor prints up a fresh copy specifically for you, and mails it to you.

Direct MMO Stuff:

- the game has been in development for approximately 3 years.
- This has been slowed by keeping up with EVE
- Preparing to develop 'Carbon technology' framework for what should provide state-of-the-art character customizations, unlike any seen in any game before, for the MMO.
- They are particularly psyched about the customization framework. They claim they have in fact, hired a fashion consultant, to help make the system more realistic and stylish.
- Another 1.5 years has been spent preparing the actual gameplay
- They have increased their staff by 6 times the previous head count
- They've put 629K man-hours into this MMO -- so far.

Regarding Coffee House, Sandbox and Themeparks that we've discussed on the forum, Burgermeister writes; "From what they said, these three spheres should be closely tied and interconnected together, essentially running the economy of blood in the game. "

The four overall themes they intended to have in the game are:
- Mystery
- Romance
- Power
- Danger

"For concrete facts, we learned that the game will be ready, by earliest, 2012. The game will be based on Vampire: the Masquerade. Specifically, in the initial release of the game, there will only be vampires as supernatural, playable characters. There will however, be elements from Werewolf, Changling, etc., likely in the form of environmental content, and NPCs."

-One of their criterias for success is to make the game as accessible as possible. Specifically they want to get women involved in the game, as well as casual players. Also, they want to maximize the amount of human interaction that happens in the game.

-They confirmed that the game will not be combat intensive (unless you choose as such). Knowing, influencing the correct people is arguable more important than being the biggest brawler.

-They will not be catering to immaturity in the game, however, they would like to see these types of offenses policed by players, rather than in-game mechanics.

"I personally offered up one of the board's suggestions of Permanent Death as a solution to controlling an otherwise glut of Kindred population within any one area. This was one of the suggestions that got applause from the audience. I also couldn't help but notice two of the content developers smirking -- I think permanent death is a serious possibility in the MMO. A lot of other fans made the same or similar suggestions. This remark also drew out a comment from the panel, suggesting that the game world would consist of one server rather than multiple servers, after someone else suggested that some servers offer this permanent death option while others did not. (His response "Servers? What servers?") " :chinscratch:

-They confirmed that factions and territories will almost certainly be a big part of the game.

-They confirmed that the game will definitely contains gay clubs. This is an excellent angle to cater to the gay and lesbian audience.

-They again, did confirm, that starting off there would only be Vampires, but one of the other developers also confirmed that there would be playable human classes -- although nothing specific. I only can assume he means the likes of ghouls and hunters.

-The game will be fully PvP, i.e. there may be Elysium areas, but nothing like the flagging system, as seen in PvE WoW servers.

"That is everything that I learned from that particular panel. Afterwords, I had some time with one of the developers, and managed to ring a few more details out of him:

He is supposedly working on something called 'story arcs'. He immediately realized he had probably already said too much, so you'll have to use your imagination to determine what that would mean in the game.

He also stated that in regards to the development cycles, some disciplines simply will not be included because they are way too complicate to implement well -- specifically, Temporis."
-8/4/2010 - Rumors started popping up from a recent interview with one of the white wolf/CCP developers that this upcoming White Wolf convention (www.thegrandmasquerade.com) is not something WoD fans would want to miss. There are quotes from said interview across the web (1up, massively, mmorpg) that the game will be revealed in full at the convention at sundown of Friday that weekend. However we won't know if these rumors will be true until the masquerade date(Sept 23-26). The website for the convention features a nice big shot of a masquerade mask with several tag lines to the right. The tag lines list several achievements of the World of Darkness series, mostly from the Vampire series, with the last line saying "Darkness Revealed". Here's a link to said interview.

I hope I can be forgiven for the poorly formatted OP as this is my first one. Also for the lack of information at this time, as there is none. I just made this thread to try and create some hype to the WoD MMO and to maybe have a few conversations on the tabletop series by White Wolf. Rest assured as time goes on I'll do my best to update the OP with new information and media.

KoopahTroopah on

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP. Unfortunately it belongs in the MMO subforum. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Ceno on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Nice OP. Unfortunately it belongs in the MMO subforum. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Guh fail. My bad.

It hasn't come out yet and I did want to talk about tabletop WoD as well so... :oops:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm definitely following this game... which of course is kinda tough since, so far, there's nothing really to follow. But I've played plenty of WoD in my day and if someone could put together an MMO that's fun to play in this theme, I'm so there.

Toxic Pickle on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    there's already a thread for this

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sigh, once again, my bad.

Apparently searching "World of Darkness" is about as useful as searching "World of Warcraft" on this forum. =(

Then again that thread hasn't been posted in for about 5 months so....

KoopahTroopah on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is a better OP anyway if you ask me.

I'm interested to see if this game can avoid crashing and burning. Skeptical, but interested.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I'm interested to see if this game can avoid crashing and burning. Skeptical, but interested.

Well thanks.

And yeah I heard CCP has been getting a lot of flak for EVE lately. Not sure why, when I played it I had fun for a couple hours. Just wasn't my cup of tea being in unlimited space.

KoopahTroopah on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I really can't say anything since we only have a tech demo that may be related to it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well thanks.

And yeah I heard CCP has been getting a lot of flak for EVE lately. Not sure why, when I played it I had fun for a couple hours. Just wasn't my cup of tea being in unlimited space.

They get flak for EVE because people want to have massive fleet fights which the hardware can not handle. Basically, they try to deliver and it often falls on its face. Otherwise the game is awesome.

Comahawk on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

Well thanks.

They get flak for EVE because people want to have massive fleet fights which the hardware can not handle. Basically, they try to deliver and it often falls on its face. Otherwise the game is awesome.

The "hardware can't handle it" is a total line BS. The hardware can handle it, it has in the past. What has happened is that CCP has layered shit upon shit in the last few expansions to the game, and now the servers can't handle the mass of trash code they threw at them.

At the start of "Delve II", we had 1500 person local fleet fights where the game stayed responsive. There was lag, but it was reasonable and playable.

Now you can barely cram 400 people in a system before it craps itself.

e: Not to make this an EVE thread, just want to make clear: EVE's shortcomings are directly CCP's fault, they are not the fault of "lack of hardware". Now, WoD will probably be a completely different kind of game where we aren't trying to jam 1500 people in a localized space. It will probably also not be written using Python as it's back end like EVE is.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    400 people is usually 300 more than I get in other MMO's so I am totally okay with it

also the game has always crapped out for me when you got 500+ people in one area before. Not sure I've ever experienced a 1500 "responsive" fleet fight

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    400 people is usually 300 more than I get in other MMO's so I am totally okay with it

also the game has always crapped out for me when you got 500+ people in one area before. Not sure I've ever experienced a 1500 "responsive" fleet fight

49-u, I have screenshots/videos of the massive 1500 person local, with fighting going on, that we had in that system for probably 14 hours. Was the single most glorious fight I've ever seen in EVE...just a huge mass of rolling battles, capitals involved, was epic.

The point is, CCP IS capable of awesome...they've just dropped the ball on EVE lately. How that reflects on WoD? We don't know yet.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »

49-u, I have screenshots/videos of the massive 1500 person local, with fighting going on, that we had in that system for probably 14 hours. Was the single most glorious fight I've ever seen in EVE...just a huge mass of rolling battles, capitals involved, was epic.

The point is, CCP IS capable of awesome...they've just dropped the ball on EVE lately. How that reflects on WoD? We don't know yet.

Yeah I really am hoping for the best, I played a RPS variate of VtM for a good portion of middle/early high school. I still notice VtM references in today's vampire media (True Blood uses dominate(trance) and refers to Caine as the first vampire). And I have been saying since Bloodlines came out, "If there was a multiplayer version of this game, it would be top shelf material."

Basically as long as they don't SOE all over it, it really can't fail.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My greatest wish:

WW ditches the Vampires and we play as wageslaves who kidnap monsters [strike]because otherwise the company will take it's implants and our functioning organs[/strike] for science!

Edith Upwards on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's this I hear about an update within a week? Do want!

To play as a Mage, that is.

I really hope there's cross-Order political drama.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Mage will likely never happen.

Unless CCP does something amazing I guess. It is just too hard to incorporate the flexibility. I know the new mage would be a bit easier to do, but even then that is cutting out the chance for players to make up stuff.

My main wonder is how they will do this without it being people running around feeding everywhere/going gauru on mainstreet.

Comahawk on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could've sworn I heard this would incorporate the 'big three': Mage/Werewolf/Vampire.

It'd be pretty easy to limit a Mage PC to the Paths without it getting crazy. Three per character, like the Disciplines in Bloodlines.

So a Mage could have, say, Forces, Prime, and Matter. (I have no clue how they'd work that into gameplay, mind)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They will just nerf Mage flexibility, making them play like Vampires or Werewolf with set power lists.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully we'll see or hear something about this next week. Does anyone even know if this is based on Old or New?

I imagine it's new but you never know.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited September 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see or hear something about this next week. Does anyone even know if this is based on Old or New?

I imagine it's new but you never know.

It's the new WoD.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Whatever happens, I can guarantee this won't.

It's an MMORPG, you should probably scale your hopes down a bit.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well they could cure the I am so high problem right now and let people play Changeling

Brainleech on
    edited September 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well they could cure the I am so high problem right now and let people play Changeling

This.

And yeah update when there is information released. I'm hoping they have a playable demo and are actually making progress, seeing how it's been 3-4 years since it was announced.

Oh here's a nice little countdown for people who are anxiously waiting http://www.thegrandmasquerade.com/event/darkness_revealed.html

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    Are they referring to the Kindred TV show? Yeah, it was pretty good for what it was.

(Also, Doakes)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Are they referring to the Kindred TV show? Yeah, it was pretty good for what it was.

(Also, Doakes)

I tried to rewatch it a few months ago... it is pretty horrible.

Comahawk on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They will just nerf Mage flexibility, making them play like Vampires or Werewolf with set power lists.

Which you have to admit is kind of silly if you consider the background of Mage.

WOD-Play the mage!!!

Reality is a LIE! Bend the cosmos to your will. Use your MAGIC to chuck stuff at a guy standing next to you. It's MAGIC look at the lightbloom dammit.
    :P

Zafina on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Plus there's the whole Paradox doesn't count when battling supernatural creatures. Since they shouldn't exist, neither should your silver nitrate fireball, and so it does.

"OH GOD IT BURNSSS!!!"

"Sorry, I can't hear your screams, since you're not real. Besides, silver nitrate can't burn."

Edit: I don't want to drift too far off topic here, but I always did want to see a Mage give a Scion the "Proof Belies Faith" speech.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    Plus there's the whole Paradox doesn't count when battling supernatural creatures. Since they shouldn't exist, neither should your silver sulfate fireball, and so it does.

"OH GOD IT BURNSSS!!!"

"Sorry, I can't hear you, since you're not real."

I thought you didn't get Paradox against supernaturals (well, depending on the effect) because they were partially awakened due to their supernatural natures and thus weren't part of the collective unconscious.

'course that was old WoD. I think the in the new WoD, paradox is just the Abyss going "Oh no you don't!"

Undead Scottsman on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    Plus there's the whole Paradox doesn't count when battling supernatural creatures. Since they shouldn't exist, neither should your silver sulfate fireball, and so it does.

"OH GOD IT BURNSSS!!!"

"Sorry, I can't hear you, since you're not real."

I thought you didn't get Paradox against supernaturals (well, depending on the effect) because they were partially awakened due to their supernatural natures and thus weren't part of the collective unconscious.

'course that was old WoD. I think the in the new WoD, paradox is just the Abyss going "Oh no you di'int!"

Fixed. And that's what I said, that you don't accumulate Paradox against supernatural creatures. I'm not sure about nWoD though.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2010
    You said you don't accumulate it because they shouldn't exist, but that's not why. In fact, people DO believe, unconsciously at least, that stuff like Vampires and Werewolves exist: otherwise they would get Paradox too, which they don't. (Aside from one Technocratically created 1950's-esque village where they've controlled the paradigm so well that supernaturals will gain paradox, and a t-shirt with a dragon on it will eventually just turn blank.)

Casting spells on them doesn't cause paradox (well, again, depends on the effect, and if there are any witnesses) because they are partially awakened and don't count as witnesses.

You shoot a fireball at a Vampire in a crowded Times Square and you better believe you'll be walloped with some PDX.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You said you don't accumulate it because they shouldn't exist, but that's not why. In fact, people DO believe, unconsciously at least, that stuff like Vampires and Werewolves exist: otherwise they would get Paradox too, which they don't. (Aside from one Technocratically created 1950's-esque village where they've controlled the paradigm so well that supernaturals will gain paradox, and a t-shirt with a dragon on it will eventually just turn blank.)

Casting spells on them doesn't cause paradox (well, again, depends on the effect, and if there are any witnesses) because they are partially awakened and don't count as witnesses.

You shoot a fireball at a Vampire in a crowded Times Square and you better believe you'll be walloped with some PDX.

This is why fate is the best arcana.

Edit: As much as I like the metaphysics and fluff of Mage I don't think the setting would work well in a multiplayer game. What's the saying linear fighters quadratic mages?

Zafina on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spike is the best vampire.

Evil Angel too maybe

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2010
    Wren wrote: »

Evil Angel too maybe

Spike's a pretty good role model. I might make a brujah like that. I think Angel is technically a malkavian?

KoopahTroopah on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wren wrote: »

Evil Angel too maybe

Spike's a pretty good role model. I might make a brujah like that. I think Angel is technically a malkavian?

angel is to much of a pretty boy.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2010

(Also, Doakes)

I liked the general mood of the show. Camarilla politics were pretty much the same as to be expected.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010

(Also, Doakes)

I liked the general mood of the show. Camarilla politics were pretty much the same as to be expected.

I haven't seen it, but I assume that since they labeled it as a cult TV show it has to be mildly popular.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010

(Also, Doakes)

I haven't seen it, but I assume that since they labeled it as a cult TV show it has to be mildly popular.

It had its following. I would compare it with highlander.

Comahawk on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It wasn't bad, but they did have to much vampires out in the day time. But I guess it is hard to have a show completely at night.

Tanolen on
    edited September 2010
    Here's a taste of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ3O0mzpgOI

The whole series is like $10 or something now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Whatever happens, I can guarantee this won't.

It's an MMORPG, you should probably scale your hopes down a bit.

I'm just curious, have you played EVE Online? Because the shit most decent-sized player corporations get down to on a daily basis really isn't too far from what he's talking about.

TBH, I'm just dying to find out how CCP goes about this. With EVE they started with little more than a whole-cloth concept that seemed totally impossible to execute successfully, and just iterated on it until they arrived at a product which, while certainly not without flaws, was totally different from anything else that has been dome before or since. This time they've already got such a depth of material to work with that I can't see this not being substantially different from traditional MMO fare.

EDIT: Personally I'd rather they nerf mages to not be omniscient or capaple of destroying foes a continent away with a thought then not have them at all.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838