As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dungeons and Dependencies!

Duellin' Feats!

Factogeny!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    class feature?

edit: as for a name, i think feat tree works. plus you can make an icon with a tree trunk and feet for leaves.

PantheraOnca on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    class feature?

That will be part of "class" stuff yes.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    And by "class" we're talking about class/paragon/epic, with optional MCs and themes. All of that, just so it's clear. You could be as vague as "fighter" or as specific as you like.

Are there any other features or such that would be prereqs outside of "class" and attributes and other feats?

Race?

Existence of a power?

Race, dur.

Having a power may be not big enough of a deal to make it a parameter, as that would make it much harder to use for not nearly enough benefit. That is something people can see for themselves I think.

Although if I make it mandatory for the sheet to be there, and scrape all the input from that, then this is less of an issue. Want to see what a fighter could do period? Make a level 1 fighter with some stats in CB, save it, upload and click the button for upgrade paths.

Hrm, what would be a good name for this actually? Feat Tree? Feat Paths? :P Something short and obvious but sound gooderish.

Honestly I'd rather have the function to change the ability scores right there on the page. That way I can start out with, say, 20 in each stat, and see what my potential range of related feats are. Then I can cut back on each one until I've got exactly the feats available that I want.

Terrendos on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    And by "class" we're talking about class/paragon/epic, with optional MCs and themes. All of that, just so it's clear. You could be as vague as "fighter" or as specific as you like.

Are there any other features or such that would be prereqs outside of "class" and attributes and other feats?

Race?

Existence of a power?

Race, dur.

Having a power may be not big enough of a deal to make it a parameter, as that would make it much harder to use for not nearly enough benefit. That is something people can see for themselves I think.

Although if I make it mandatory for the sheet to be there, and scrape all the input from that, then this is less of an issue. Want to see what a fighter could do period? Make a level 1 fighter with some stats in CB, save it, upload and click the button for upgrade paths.

Hrm, what would be a good name for this actually? Feat Tree? Feat Paths? :P Something short and obvious but sound gooderish.

Honestly I'd rather have the function to change the ability scores right there on the page. That way I can start out with, say, 20 in each stat, and see what my potential range of related feats are. Then I can cut back on each one until I've got exactly the feats available that I want.

I had the same thought, as people tend to have the most shifting in stats once they start to see their options. The stats would be a tweakable thing in the tree view.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Ok, I know this question has been talked about way too much but I can't find a good ruling on this and I don't want to dredge through multiple threads.

If I have a Battlerager Vigor Fighter with a +4 CON MOD who hits with Crushing Surge, he gets the +4 THP from the BRV feature and +4 from the invigorating THP, right? Then if you do the dwarf build thing, you can get up to +6 from invigorating? And this stacks every round? +10 THP every round is looking awesome, especially with some durable, tougheness and a mordenkrad prof feat.

EDIT: Man, looking at this further, a Mul is the perfect Battlerager. You have him take dwarf heritage and also get +2 Strength with +1 healing surge as well.

It doesn't stack every round.

Whenever you get temp HP, you get the highest of it.

So, if you had 10 thp, then you got hit for six

if you hit the next round you'd get back up to 10 thp

if your'e at ten HP, don't get hit and get hit yet again

still at 10 thp

the only exception to THP stacking is the fact that battleragers can stack invigorating THP with THP from hitting stuff with regular ol' fighter powers

Ok, this makes more sense. Basically you just raise your cap of HP by 10 for that encounter and keep flooding it every round by 10 to that cap.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah the best thing for ye battlerager is to keep that temp HP nice and full every round

since there thing is kinda being easy to hit

and being a big ugly sack o' hit points

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the only exception to THP stacking is the fact that battleragers can stack invigorating THP with THP from hitting stuff with regular ol' fighter powers

So battlerager THP never "stacks" with itself, but invigorating powers can? The wording seems to imply that you always get the Battlerager THP, and that if its invigorating, those THP will keep stacking? ".. those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have."

So health would be tracked like
    HP +THP +StackingInvigoratingTHP ? Or am I wildly confused.

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
    edited September 2010
    Loedr wrote: »

So battlerager THP never "stacks" with itself, but invigorating powers can? The wording seems to imply that you always get the Battlerager THP, and that if its invigorating, those THP will keep stacking? ".. those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have."

So health would be tracked like
    HP +THP +StackingInvigoratingTHP ? Or am I wildly confused.

this is the ONE exception.

you can stack invigoraing THP with the THP you get from an attack. not just in general. specifically the attack you made that gives you ze THP

not just any attack, and your invigorating THP do not stack with just with any THP you already have

so if you had 4 THP, hit with crushing surge and got 10 hp, you'd have 10 THP

if you had 15 THP because of something the warlord did, got 10 THP from crushing surge, you could keep the 15 THP you already had

or let's say you hit one round and got 10 THP. You manage to get to the next round with all of it. Then, you miss. you still get 5THP for missing now... but that 5 THP doesn't replace the greater amount you already have.

the not-stacking of THP is very straightforward... the thing you have to remember is that THP for the battlerager applies to only the attack he just made to get that THP.

this is the way battlerager has always worked, and it can be hard to figure out at first. it's a bit confusing but after you play it for a while, it makes sense

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited September 2010
    edit: I'm an idiot--the Martial Power book has an old version BRV which has since been errataed, causing me mental confusion between the CB and the book. I'll google for a topic specifically regarding this as to not garbage up this thread. Sorry.

edit14: You hit with an Invigorating, its 2*CON mod in THP. If thats less than what you already have, oh well. If its more, you gain up to that value. Correct?

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
    edited September 2010
    you no longer get HP from getting hit

this was errata'd out

battleragers only get THP from hitting with fighter powers

and even back then, no you couldn't stack THP from successive hits

unfortunately people thought this was the case

which may have been part of the reason for the errata

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a level 3, escape from Tyr during the Ziggurat thing game coming up on Tuesday.

Quickly, I need ideas for enemies I don't have to stat out myself.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I've got a level 3, escape from Tyr during the Ziggurat thing game coming up on Tuesday.

Quickly, I need ideas for enemies I don't have to stat out myself.

Please please please use a Silk Wyrm Adult and let us know how it works. The party could be forced to detour from their current avenue of escape by impassable debris or silk webbing. I know normally a wyrm wouldn't be encountered in an indoor area, but maybe this one decided it would create its lair here? Or it could be done after their escape, during the next leg of their escape.

Barring that, though, cilops and tareks. I like how tareks are, literally in the DSCG, reflavored Athasian orcs. Just take some orcs and say they're tareks.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited September 2010
    Well, that day is going to be chaos, so I might be able to work it in as an escaped arena attraction.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2010
    Based on what is said about the Silk Wyrms in the Creature Catalog, it is not unreasonable to think a Silk Wyrm would hang out near an arena to feed on the bodies that were tossed aside. And/or maybe chomp on a slave or two hauling the cadavers out of the stadium.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited September 2010
    Ok I am statting out my first from-scratch big boss villain for my five level 2 PCs in my tweaked PoL setting. He is going to be an apprentice sorcerer to a powerful defiler I am ripping from Dark Sun. I want him to have whips powered with arcane necrotic lightening and a defiler aura.

Any advice for creating a solo type?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just started DMing for the first time, my group picked up the Red Box and played through it this week. We just finished, and my group wants to create non-essentials characters.

I'm not ready to start a full on campaign yet, but I was considering doing a series of one-shots so my group can become more comfortable with the system and I can learn how to handle being a DM. Should I pick up some of the adventures (keep on the shadowfell, etc) or would it be easier to create some encounters of my own?

We have three players usually, with a fourth who can only come sometimes, is three people enough to run the pre-made adventures or would I be constantly adjusting the encounters?

I have very little experience with the system, but we don't know any DM's so I have to step up and try to arrange this for us.

Khildith on
    edited September 2010
    So what is a good class to start with? My group needs a protector and wants me to take over a warden which I'm not really thrilled about, from a class, taking-over, and role standpoints. They also don't like psionics which is fine, before I even was seriously interested in the game I had heard multiple people talk about how broken they were.

My first instinct was Monk, as it basically looked stupid-fun to play.
    Then they were all like "wahhh protector" so I've been looking at the Fighter. Can I feasibly 2h axe beat-shit-up (but with lower damage) and still pull off the tank role? I know as Battlerager you get a bonus for wearing lighter armors.. should I throw bonuses to the wind armor up in lieu of not using a shield? Warforged Battlerager 2h Axe Fighter Tank? Poor choice for a new guy? Thanks :D

edit: My first session, I was locked behind a gate, rolled over by some spikey balls. I failed strength checks for raising the gate repeatedly, as the guy that got it open went to go fight bad guys. When I finally made the roll (DM-pity-intervention), I got into the room where the fighting was occurring and was immediately stunned (before making a single attack.) I failed four (five?) save rolls in a row. I broke the stun after combat was over. Aaand that was my night :(

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
    edited September 2010
    So what is a good class to start with? My group needs a protector and wants me to take over a warden which I'm not really thrilled about, from a class, taking-over, and role standpoints. They also don't psionics which is fine, before I even was seriously interested in the game I had heard multiple people talk about how broken they were.

My first instinct was Monk, as it basically looked stupid-fun to play.
    Then there were all like "wahhh protector" so I've been looking at the Fighter. Can I feasibly 2h axe beat-shit-up (but with lower damage) and still pull off the tank role? I know as Battlerager you get a bonus for wearing lighter armors.. should I throw bonuses to the wind armor up in lieu of not using a shield? Warforged Battlerager 2h Axe Fighter Tank? Poor choice for a new guy? Thanks :D

The Ardent Paladin can do some pretty awesome damage for a defender as well.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2010
    ardents have some crazy shit going on

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited September 2010
    edit14: You hit with an Invigorating, its 2*CON mod in THP. If thats less than what you already have, oh well. If its more, you gain up to that value. Correct?

basically yeah (unless you have that one dwarf feat, or the dragonborn one that works while you're bloodied)

but since you're the defender

and if additionally you opt for wearing chainmail for the small damage bonus you get from having THP

chances are someone will have trimmed those temp HP at least a bit, if not totally :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fighters are in general pretty good; they've got a ton of options and they're pretty strong. Even a really defensive Fighter will still be doing lots of damage, depending on your group's Controller they'll probably be right behind the Striker in damage output.

Both 1h and 2h weapon builds work fine. I've seen each one work pretty well.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2010
    all of the fighter builds are pretty good

battlerager can get less effective as you level up, but i love the flavor

and ye tempest looks good on paper but appears to have a somewhat similar problem

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok I am statting out my first from-scratch big boss villain for my five level 2 PCs in my tweaked PoL setting. He is going to be an apprentice sorcerer to a powerful defiler I am ripping from Dark Sun. I want him to have whips powered with arcane necrotic lightening and a defiler aura.

At level 2, the PCs won't really have the resources that paragon- and epic-tier characters have to make mincemeat out of poorly-designed solos, so you really don't have much to worry about. The most important thing is probably to give the solo multiple ways of attacking per round. At lower levels this usually means a power that allows him to make two or more basic attacks as a standard action, as well as an attack power that can be used as a minor action. Also, a power that recharges when the solo is first bloodied is pretty de rigueur.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

If Ardents use the PP system (augment?) then thats a no-go for this campaign.

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The best way to protect your buds is to quickly kill everything trying to hurt them. Thus, your best option is to play a striker.

But seriously, Fighters can do plenty of damage if you want to build that way.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited September 2010

If Ardents use the PP system (augment?) then thats a no-go for this campaign.
    This is where naming conventions get a little confusing.

They're talking about a build of Paladin, a Defender class, that is known as the Ardent Paladin. Does lots of stuff where they get bonus damage for hurting themselves and such.

It's Divine, so no power points involved.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

At level 2, the PCs won't really have the resources that paragon- and epic-tier characters have to make mincemeat out of poorly-designed solos, so you really don't have much to worry about. The most important thing is probably to give the solo multiple ways of attacking per round. At lower levels this usually means a power that allows him to make two or more basic attacks as a standard action, as well as an attack power that can be used as a minor action. Also, a power that recharges when the solo is first bloodied is pretty de rigueur.

I was thinking of giving him a standard aura that sucks life from anyone within three squares (like three or four damage a round) plus multiple basic attacks with his whips, a grab attack with a whip as a minor and some kind of necrotic lightening attack as a recharge. Plus, I was thinking of allowing him to kill off one of the minions accompanying him to either regain a power or some life (with the idea being that the players need to kill his minions to really weaken him).

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Khildith wrote: »
    I just started DMing for the first time, my group picked up the Red Box and played through it this week. We just finished, and my group wants to create non-essentials characters.

I'm not ready to start a full on campaign yet, but I was considering doing a series of one-shots so my group can become more comfortable with the system and I can learn how to handle being a DM. Should I pick up some of the adventures (keep on the shadowfell, etc) or would it be easier to create some encounters of my own?

We have three players usually, with a fourth who can only come sometimes, is three people enough to run the pre-made adventures or would I be constantly adjusting the encounters?

I have very little experience with the system, but we don't know any DM's so I have to step up and try to arrange this for us.
    If you are just doing one-shots, I would stay away from printed adventures. Those tend to take several sessions (at least) to resolve and they cost money you could be putting toward other books.

I would look into picking up the Monster Vault when it comes out, and maybe the first Monster Manual. That would give you a good selection of creatures to be using. Then I would just concentrate on getting a feel for encounter building and how to engage your players with the narrative.

Welcome to the ranks of the DMs. It's a thankless job. Luckily it comes with faux-Godlike power.

OptimusZed on

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I was thinking of giving him a standard aura that sucks life from anyone within three squares (like three or four damage a round) plus multiple basic attacks with his whips, a grab attack with a whip as a minor and some kind of necrotic lightening attack as a recharge. Plus, I was thinking of allowing him to kill off one of the minions accompanying him to either regain a power or some life (with the idea being that the players need to kill his minions to really weaken him).

Sounds good. Although, regarding the minion-killing power, it's pretty much standard practice for the PCs to wipe out all the minions in an encounter anyway. If you want to make the minion-hunting an actual challenge, consider spreading them out, giving them ranged attacks, and making them highly mobile.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

Sounds good. Although, regarding the minion-killing power, it's pretty much standard practice for the PCs to wipe out all the minions in an encounter anyway. If you want to make the minion-hunting an actual challenge, consider spreading them out, giving them ranged attacks, and making them highly mobile.
    Or make them do something unpleasant when they die.

Players <3 that.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

Players <3 that.

Or make them do something unpleasant when they die, and also have them respawn infinitely

you son of a bitch

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

Players <3 that.

Or make them do something unpleasant when they die, and also have them respawn infinitely

you son of a bitch
    That may have been most fun I've ever had DMing.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

Players <3 that.

you son of a bitch

you must have been pleased as punch when I wasted Stinking Cloud in the previous encounter.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

Players <3 that.

you son of a bitch

you must have been pleased as punch when I wasted Stinking Cloud in the previous encounter.
    I remember stifling a chuckle, at the very least.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010
    OptimusZed, stifling chuckles at his players' behest since 2009.

Pinfeldorf on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't been keeping up on the various implement options... is there currently a way to allow a swordmage to use other kinds of weapons, say, spears, as their implements?

Incenjucar on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They wouldn't be swordmages then, would they?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up on the various implement options... is there currently a way to allow a swordmage to use other kinds of weapons, say, spears, as their implements?

Ask the DM. Easiest way.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was asking about non-homebrew solutions. I've been gaming since 1993, I know about Rule 0.

I'll take that as a no.

Incenjucar on