As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, fuck that. Sell it online.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could always just buy a second PSP. I don't want to sell it online, and if I don't get much on a trade in, might as well just buy a second PSP. I really want a 3000 anyway.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    hobbifiedhobbified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I've been heavily considering getting myself a 3000. My 2000 has faithfully served since its launch, but the battery is dying, the paint is peeling on the 'PSP' logo on the back, and it just feels old.

I'd say forget it. Trade won't get you much. If the thing is working just buy a new battery for it. They're 20 bucks. And if you get a 3000 later on, hey, spare battery. ;)

hobbified on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hobbified wrote: »
    I've been heavily considering getting myself a 3000. My 2000 has faithfully served since its launch, but the battery is dying, the paint is peeling on the 'PSP' logo on the back, and it just feels old.

I'd say forget it. Trade won't get you much. If the thing is working just buy a new battery for it. They're 20 bucks. And if you get a 3000 later on, hey, spare battery. ;)

My main issue is I can't play with it plugged in to charge, because it will randomly think that being plugged in via its power socket means the mini USB is plugged in, and it switches to USB mode. There's something fucked up inside it.

Talked it over with my fiancee, she said just trade it in, take whatever I get and grab an LBP pack.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I guess that counts as a defect worth trading for then :)

hobbified on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wished VC2 had a Japanese language option? I've been looking forward to it for so long (got a psp specifically for it last year), it's been sitting in my house with no time to be played, and now the VA is grating on me at every turn.

Does the Asian release have an English subs options?

If your PSP is hacked you can download an undub of VC2.

Is that difficult / legal?

It's not too difficult and I really don't care as to the legality and neither should you. It's not like Sony are going to send robot dogs to gun me down for doing it and I buy all my games anyway.

Moioink on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thats not why they care if its legal. This board has certain rules.

Error on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As far as I've encountered, discussing the notion and capabilities of CFW is legit, but the actual steps to installing it isn't. Saying an undub exists is fine, but linking to it isn't, etc. And BTW, worth noting for people that are interested: Moving to the more advanced CFWs may make your previous save games temporarily inaccessible, so if you're in the midst of a VC2 run and don't want to lose access to your file without flipping back to OFW, you may want to reconsider. (Though I also wouldn't be surprised if some cheats pop up to give you infinite Certs/Diplomas, etc.)

Lord knows now that I'm not touching a thing until I finish my campaign!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why are you people discussing boring stuff like memory sticks when you could be discussing more interesting things.

Like how Fencer Elite Alexis' is a God(dess) of Destruction.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Error wrote: »
    Thats not why they care if its legal. This board has certain rules.

I am mentioning the existence of a VC2 undub, I am not explaining how to procure it (I like to avoid infractions!) so no need to worry about the rules (the existence of PSP ISOs are hardly a secret). Whether it's legal or not is a grey area but morally I do not see how anyone can have any objections to it assuming you own your own copy. I say this as someone with 20 odd PSP retail games and hater of piracy.

Personally I like the English dubs and have no intentions of downloading it but for those who like the Japanese voices why shouldn't they have the voice track of their preference if they have the means to play it like that?

Anyway best that this thread goes back to discussing the game.

Moioink on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Why are you people discussing boring stuff like memory sticks when you could be discussing more interesting things.

Like how Fencer Elite Alexis' is a God(dess) of Destruction.

Fencer Elite Jamill is the motherfuckin' Grim Reaper. Mauler Alexis is the real Goddess of Destruction.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

My main issue is I can't play with it plugged in to charge, because it will randomly think that being plugged in via its power socket means the mini USB is plugged in, and it switches to USB mode. There's something fucked up inside it.

Talked it over with my fiancee, she said just trade it in, take whatever I get and grab an LBP pack.

If you trade this in they are certain to test this out.

Good luck with it.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck V2s

fuck the August mission

fuck V2s

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    end of august: :cry:

Rent on
  • Options
    MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got all my Shocktroopers to Level 50 and I unlocked someone very good.
    I gots Rosie and she's got the highest natural Shoot stat out of all the Shocktroopers (49). She also keeps all her personal potentials from VC1 so yeah, watch her HP should you use her in the desert, for some reason.

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    arcath wrote: »

If you trade this in they are certain to test this out.

Good luck with it.

Eh, if they test it and it does it (note - it doesn't do this all the time), I can just play dumb.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Isn't there a setting in the menu that disables automatically switching into USB mode?

hobbified on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There is, and I checked, and it's on. But still, I want a 3000. Since Sony made no mention of the PSP 2 at TGS, I'm guessing it's a ways off still. So I want a 3000 if I'm going to keep playing PSP games.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Partially because of this thread I bought VC today for like $20 (and on a giftcard, woo!). Anything I should know before diving in?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Partially because of this thread I bought VC today for like $20 (and on a giftcard, woo!). Anything I should know before diving in?

I got VC1 the other day too. Mostly because I just bought a new PSP for Birth By Sleep, and now that I own a PSP I plan on owning VC2. But I felt like I needed to play 1 first.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    get a vc sig you?

that's about it i think

oh there's no "X thing is ungettable after a certain point" bullshit in VC like in most other JRPGs

so yeah play however you want there's no consequences

oh also chapter 7 sucks but just power through it, it's not that bad

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    also: regarding relations between vc1 and vc2: it's highly advisable you play through the vc series sequentially, but it's not necessary

you can play them out of order just fine, they're self contained stories, but vc2 references the hell out of vc1, which you won't catch if you don't know the context

also the gameplay is waay waay better in vc2 than vc1, so I imagine playing them in reverse order would be jarringly bad

basically the relation between vc1 and vc2 is exactly the same as between P3: FES and P4, including the fact that the sequel has better characterization but a worse plot. Weird.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did I hear right that they announced VC3 recently, and its gonna be a PSP game also? Now that I'm a PSP owner, this isn't a big deal anymore, but it seems really odd to me that they are putting such a popular series on a system with such a tiny install base.

Is Sony paying Sega a shitload of money to make the series for PSP or something? This is the only logical reason I can think of why they would continue to put this franchise on a system that barely sells at all. Unless Sony is using VC as a marketing tool to sell more systems or something...

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    japan, japan, japan lucascraft

that's why they're making 3 on psp; japan's all about the handhelds

although I'd enjoy it if they GoW'd or SotC/Ico or Sly collection'd 2 and 3 a couple years down the line

redo the graphics in CANVAS and I would buy the hell out of that
    Chance wrote:
    And maybe if they added trophy support too?

No. No. Bad Chance :P

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Did I hear right that they announced VC3 recently, and its gonna be a PSP game also? Now that I'm a PSP owner, this isn't a big deal anymore, but it seems really odd to me that they are putting such a popular series on a system with such a tiny install base.

Tiny install base? 50+ million units is tiny? It's bigger than the PS3 install base. Not to mention they're making these games for the Japanese market first and foremost, where the PSP is ludicrously popular.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Japan, also, the development time and costs for a PSP game is a fraction of what it'd need to do on the PS3.

Basically they can eat less Western sales for a PSP iteration and still come out of it better than a PS3 game.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I forgot about Japan. That far off mystical place.

Here in the States the install base for the PSP is tiny. That's what I was referring to. I completely forgot about Japan.

On the topic of hand-helds though, I really wish they were as big a deal in the US as they are in Japan. It would be really cool if stuff like the Tag Mode in Dragon Quest 9 actually worked in my area. Or random Pokemon battles. Or whatever. But that stuff is just fairy tale in these parts. Its nearly impossible to find people to play with in my area except for prearranged meetings between friends.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've actually been playing my PSP more than my PS3 lately (another reason I want a 3000. I spend more time looking at a PSP screen, so I might as well have a good screen). I wish more people played handhelds around here too. The PSP is powerful enough to pull off some amazing looking games, and being able to do proper multiplayer would be awesome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the states will never have as big of an addiction to handhelds as japan does until two things happen:

1) people's places of residence become smaller...much, much smaller. Smaller = less free space to store shit = less reliance on home consoles due to bulk = increasing reliance on handhelds

2), and most importantly, public transportation becomes easier to use and much, much more prevalent. Public transportation being ubiquitous = more time spent waiting around doing nothing = more time available to spend playing handhelds

Rent on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I forgot about Japan. That far off mystical place.

Here in the States the install base for the PSP is tiny. That's what I was referring to. I completely forgot about Japan.

On the topic of hand-helds though, I really wish they were as big a deal in the US as they are in Japan. It would be really cool if stuff like the Tag Mode in Dragon Quest 9 actually worked in my area. Or random Pokemon battles. Or whatever. But that stuff is just fairy tale in these parts. Its nearly impossible to find people to play with in my area except for prearranged meetings between friends.

part of that has to do with the size and population densities in Japan, as well. the whole culture, really.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just made it to August.
    It felt so good to give that bitch 6 tank shots to the face on Turn 1 for the A rank.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just remembered that PSP screenshots are in PSP resolution. I now have that lovely picture of Riela that surfaced at TGS as my PSP background.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Riela sucks, Imuka is better!

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nothing at all against Imuka. But Riela looks very similar to Selvaria (as opposed to Aliasse...). Which gets her and A+ in my book.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    japan, japan, japan lucascraft

that's why they're making 3 on psp; japan's all about the handhelds

although I'd enjoy it if they GoW'd or SotC/Ico or Sly collection'd 2 and 3 a couple years down the line

redo the graphics in CANVAS and I would buy the hell out of that
    Chance wrote:
    And maybe if they added trophy support too?

No. No. Bad Chance :P

Don't put words in my mouth! Or anything else, for that matter - my body is a temple. Brb, need a smoke...

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So does this game take place over a full year? Like January 1937-January 1938?

never die on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah

also Chance I quit smoking so you can too, it can't be that hard! :P

(don't you hate those assholes)

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nothing at all against Imuka. But Riela looks very similar to Selvaria (as opposed to Aliasse...). Which gets her and A+ in my book.

By 'similar' you mean anime fanservicey, right? :P

Imuka gets the GunXSword, full body armour, and a nice hairstyle, so that puts her on top for me. :D

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just remembered that PSP screenshots are in PSP resolution. I now have that lovely picture of Riela that surfaced at TGS as my PSP background.

Which picture, this one?

On my Go right now I switched out Stroll around Vigrid for a schoolgirl shootout, and on my 3000 I have a simple Ayame-from-Tenchu-in-anime-style, given that I pretty much bought the 3k because Tenchu isn't available on the PSN store:
    BGagb2.png

BGAyame.png

Also: Imuka is better.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    yeah

also Chance I quit smoking so you can too, it can't be that hard! :P

(don't you hate those assholes)

I did manage to quit once, for about a quarter-year. Then Christmas came along and fucked it up. That's not fair - Christmas didn't do anything wrong - I was a dumbass, and thought I could handle Just One Cigarette.

Durr.

Oh, shits... totp... need some VC content. Ummmm have you guys already seen this?

Chance on
This discussion has been closed.