As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]auqua Lake!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    wouldn't a bad economy lower the expected median income?

or shouldn't it?

Isn't it mostly just that a lot of jobs are ceasing to exist rather than paying less?
    I mean, I'm a fairly talented dude with some decent background, but I can't compete with a fucking 40 year old just because they are 40 years old.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I really shouldn't have looked up the expected median income for my age an:mrgreen:d education level.

Fuck you economy.

Move to DC, we have government jobs and shit. You will go broke on housing but make bank.

Gods, getting one of those is such a pain. I have been trying. I have friends there as well.

I worked for the DOD and STATE, have friends who still do and some at CIA/NSA, I work in international development now. What are they looking for, I might know a place to point them.

Also got a couple peeps on the Hill, one works for Barney Frank and he's hiring.

nstf on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

Isn't it mostly just that a lot of jobs are ceasing to exist rather than paying less?

wouldn't $0 bring down the median quite a bit?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

In bad markets they pay less as people will accept work for less, the rest of us just loose out on bonuses and raises (fuck you HR)

nstf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

This is America.

They don't even count people making zero dollars as unemployed for very long.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really shouldn't have looked up the expected median income for my age an:mrgreen:d education level.

Fuck you economy.

Move to DC, we have government jobs and shit. You will go broke on housing but make bank.

Gods, getting one of those is such a pain. I have been trying. I have friends there as well.

I worked for the DOD and STATE, have friends who still do and some at CIA/NSA, I work in international development now. What are they looking for, I might know a place to point them.

Also got a couple peeps on the Hill, one works for Barney Frank and he's hiring.

Not them, they have jobs. I need one. I speak, read and write Japanese. Have a double major in history and International Relations. Have computer skills but no certifications. Also have certification in teaching English as a second language.

Also super quick at learning skills.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ahhhhhhh

Variable on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

I mean, I'm a fairly talented dude with some decent background, but I can't compete with a fucking 40 year old just because they are 40 years old.

sticky wages~

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Fuck you economy.

Not them, they have jobs. I need one. I speak, read and write Japanese. Have a double major in history and International Relations. Have computer skills but no certifications. Also have certification in teaching English as a second language.

Also super quick at learning skills.

Google AED, Intrahealth, HRC, and Save the Children, that's a starting point for majors that are sucking the government tit, PM for details I have contacts at all of them.

nstf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm not even sure what I could do to improve my income that wouldn't take six years and incredible amount of debt. All of my family connections are in either construction, finance, or insurance, and to learn to network would take years of therapy. :? I've got my eyes on technical writing but trying to get into a situation where I can get that certification is eating what little youth I have left.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh and if you can understand French I know exactly where to point you.

nstf on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't sleep so I might just not go into work tomorrow.

I'm not worried about it because it's my mom's workplace, I just go in and do little side-things and get paid under the table in cash.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That would create some tax things

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    well this is certainly making me feel good about my job prospects

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    NSTF, I sent you a pm with a basic run down of skills. I also have more experience with the medical system and insurance than I ever wanted. This is between working part time at a dental office and personal stuff.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It is probably not super legit but it is nice to have a few hundred bucks a month in untaxed cash.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    well this is certainly making me feel good about my job prospects

Eh. It's unlikely you have anywhere near as many hangups as I do. Mind you about 75% of what I would be good at (say, marketing) would make me hate myself.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've hit the point where I'm considering applying for geeksquad just to get an income. God help me.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so this Great Food Truck Race finale has me very very intrigued and I'm embarrassed that I'm so involved.

Though it also seems suspiciously scripted. Thoughts?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am becoming less and less picky as time has gone. I am great at spin, I could do marketing but I have no idea how to get into that nor have sunk that low yet.

You could always do PR for a non-profit or something. Its marketing in a different way.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    NSTF, I sent you a pm with a basic run down of skills. I also have more experience with the medical system and insurance than I ever wanted. This is between working part time at a dental office and personal stuff.

Yeah I responded, sent you my linkedin information as well, I think I know where to point you, just have to see who is hiring and for what, so add me, check out who's on my list you'll notice most of them are senior VP's and directors of NGO's or DOD peeps.

nstf on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It is probably not super legit but it is nice to have a few hundred bucks a month in untaxed cash.

Filing statement of claim to IRS

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

That's not how the median works. If the job market for 11 people looks like this:
    8 12 15 18 29 34 53 57 100 150 200

Then unemployment shoots up and suddenly it's
    0 0 0 16 27 34 50 58 102 140 190:

In both cases the median income is 34. If there are still a lot of people with jobs, the median income isn't going to show unemployment other than in that people are going to be more desperate and willing to work for less.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Filing statement of claim to IRS

SHE AUDIT KNOW BETTER

do you get it

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

or shouldn't it?

That's not how the median works. If the job market for 11 people looks like this:
    8 12 15 18 29 34 53 57 100 150 200

Then unemployment shoots up and suddenly it's
    0 0 0 16 27 34 50 58 102 140 190:

In both cases the median income is 34. If there are still a lot of people with jobs, the median income isn't going to show unemployment other than in that people are going to be more desperate and willing to work for less.

mr. know it all over here

yeah I completely forgot what median meant

Variable on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I live in Canada, we have no IRS.

It is a lawless frontier with fraud and crime around every corner.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I will, I need to update and get the linkedin thing updated. It is one of those things that appeared when I was in Japan. I am still catching up with all this stuff.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i should probably get on that :\

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am becoming less and less picky as time has gone. I am great at spin, I could do marketing but I have no idea how to get into that nor have sunk that low yet.

You could always do PR for a non-profit or something. Its marketing in a different way.

I have a very strong commitment to avoiding regrets, and sadly many non-profits are regrettable places like any other - also not a skill set I can take to many non-regrettable places :(.

Hell, even when I was working for a major local construction company, which sent me to represent them with talks with the CalEPA, I ended up functioning as a moderator between the EPA and the industry because I could never side entirely with the almighty dollar.

I mostly just try to get involved in creative industries of some sort. They might do some inappropriate stuff to their competitors but they tend to not be evil in the larger sense.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gonna steal my boyfriend's headset tomorrow and chug some cough syrup

Aw yeah

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cass I would be willing to do things for your mother under the table for money

if you know what I mean

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    talkin' bout male prostitution

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cass I would be willing to do things for your mother under the table for money

if you know what I mean

I'd do it for free.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How dare you, my mother gave you a ride home to Scarborough that one time.

Is that what she deserves in return

Rude jokes
    :cry:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    you're going to put me out of a job Mori, damn you

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cass get in a real country and not some backwoods hellhole

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How dare you, my mother gave you a ride home to Scarborough that one time.

Is that what she deserves in return

Rude jokes
    :cry:

she is a nice lady who deserves some comfort

she's hurting is what I'm feeling

she could use some

sexual healing

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3 hours until two days off.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cass get in a real country and not some backwoods hellhole

Oh no your cruel words have wounded me to the core

Good thing I have free health care and accessible public transit

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Great Old Games is gone! Now I can't get Arcanum over the internet :(

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.