As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unless you're playing LFR, I'd just ask the DM.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Your suggestion does not apply and never will in regard to me. I will never, ever be asking for that purpose, EVER. Appreciated, but man it's getting annoying.

Incenjucar on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the organizations introduced in the new Winning Races: Genasi article. I want to use them all in a game, especially the Starfall Picks, which I envision as a group of dwarves seeking to free the azers, galeb durhs, and eisk jaats descended from their enslaved kin. I'm sure I can fit in a plane-spanning thieves guild called "The Lost Socks", too.

I also like the flavor text for the new Paragon Path in that article: “Now I’m free—to kick your ass.”

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Your suggestion does not apply and never will in regard to me. I will never, ever be asking for that purpose, EVER. Appreciated, but man it's getting annoying.

Whatever. Ignore the simplest and easiest solution. Going by the books is for silly geese unless it's playing the game in some official capacity.

SkyCaptain on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't been keeping up on the various implement options... is there currently a way to allow a swordmage to use other kinds of weapons, say, spears, as their implements?

technically using a khopesh lets you use an axe, but it is also a sword. so no, right now there is no way.

Melding on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm pretty sure the books also say that the DM has final say on things. So you could follow the rules of the books and ask the DM.

I'm not sure what you have against it. I understand trying to work within a given framework, but its also not as if Wizards is some sort of godbeing handing out flawless DnD commandments such that you who homebrews goes to LARP Hell.

Wassermelone on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't been keeping up on the various implement options... is there currently a way to allow a swordmage to use other kinds of weapons, say, spears, as their implements?

Best I could figure, with:
    Arcane Implement Proficiency

Heroic Tier
    Prerequisite: Any arcane class
    Benefit: Choose a kind of implement associated with any arcane class. You can use that kind of implement with your arcane powers.
    If that implement is also a weapon, you do not add the weapon’s proficiency bonus to attack rolls made while you wield it as an implement.

You could then have access to: Rods, Staffs, Wands, Daggers, Orbs, & Tomes as implements for your swordmage powers, Daggers being the only one that actually fits your question.

Alternatively:
    Moonbow Dedicate

Heroic Tier
    Prerequisite: Must worship Sehanine
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with the shortbow, plus you can use a shortbow as an implement for divine and arcane powers. In addition, you gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon and implement damage rolls with the shortbow. Increase this bonus to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

But I doubt you're aiming for a shortbow-wielding swordmage, heh.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited September 2010
    Thanks, Aegis. I'm actually already familiar with those, but the Moonbow Dedicate reminds me of how they deal with certain things. Also thank you for not failing your Reading check. <3

Incenjucar on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks, Aegis. I'm actually already familiar with those, but the Moonbow Dedicate reminds me of how they deal with certain things. Also thank you for not failing your Reading check. <3

I think your problem is going to be that Swordmage Warding only works with Heavy or Light Blades. If you're happy to ignore that, you have a few options.

Rius on
    edited September 2010
    Rius wrote: »

I think your problem is going to be that Swordmage Warding only works with Heavy or Light Blades. If you're happy to ignore that, you have a few options.

Nope nope... can't ignore that at all. That's homebrewing...

SkyCaptain on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

To be fair, that's easily overcome if the aim is to use other weapons, by simply equipping a shield and potentially an AC feat.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited September 2010

Well, the reason I asked is that I have a small Str/Int homebrew race that, thematically, works really well with spears (historically, dragons would basically drop them like angry little missiles). If there was already a way to do this in game, then I wouldn't need to do anything, but since there isn't I can just make a racial feat that gives them the ability to use spears in place of heavy blades and light blades for Swordmage and Swordmage paragon path powers.

Incenjucar on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well, the reason I asked is that I have a small Str/Int homebrew race that, thematically, works really well with spears (historically, dragons would basically drop them like angry little missiles). If there was already a way to do this in game, then I wouldn't need to do anything, but since there isn't I can just make a racial feat that gives them the ability to use spears in place of heavy blades and light blades for Swordmage and Swordmage paragon path powers.

The glaive happens to be both a heavy blade and a polearm, should you be willing to sacrifice the thematic "spear-ness" of it in lieu of polearm-ness. The other option, albeit a monstrously convoluted one, is that you could hybrid as a warlock, multiclass warlord, and then take "hell's implement" which would let you use all powers through any polearm, though you would end up losing your swordmage warding if the polearm was not a blade. Finally, hybrid druid or shaman/swordmage with a totemic or alfsair spear would probably also let you use the implement as if it were a totem, and being a hybrid you could use totems with all powers.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head, but they may be diluting the purity of a single-class swordmage.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited September 2010
    Glaive wouldn't work because it's a two-handed weapon, and the race is small. Yeah, that other method is way too convoluted, though I thank you for the depth of information. I'll just design a feat that gives them proficiency in all Military Spears, and the ability to use Spears as implements for all Swordmage stuff, and fold Intelligent Blademaster into it for Spears so they're in no position to feel like they've wasted a feat. The various other options for spears, while not robust unless they multiclass, are fairly viable. The only major downside is that the best military spear for small characters is a trident instead of a more classic-looking spear. :P

Incenjucar on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You're already using a homebrewed race. Just have your guy be an Axemage, Spearmage or Hammermage, for fuck's sake.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited September 2010
    My homebrewing is always with an eye towards publishing.

Incenjucar on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glaive wouldn't work because it's a two-handed weapon, and the race is small. Yeah, that other method is way too convoluted, though I thank you for the depth of information. I'll just design a feat that gives them proficiency in all Military Spears, and the ability to use Spears as implements for all Swordmage stuff, and fold Intelligent Blademaster into it for Spears so they're in no position to feel like they've wasted a feat. The various other options for spears, while not robust unless they multiclass, are fairly viable. The only major downside is that the best military spear for small characters is a trident instead of a more classic-looking spear. :P

Perhaps it would be inappropriate to the setting, but the Talenta Sharrash is the following: Superior two-handed, 1d8, +3 proficiency, Heavy Blade, Polearm, High Crit, and perhaps most importantly Small meaning that small characters may use this weapon without penalty. Unfortunately, it lacks reach, but it remains an excellent swordmage weapon.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited September 2010
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be inappropriate to the setting, but the Talenta Sharrash is the following: Superior two-handed, 1d8, +3 proficiency, Heavy Blade, Polearm, High Crit, and perhaps most importantly Small meaning that small characters may use this weapon without penalty. Unfortunately, it lacks reach, but it remains an excellent swordmage weapon.

While it certainly fit the "spear" thing, it's definitely a good "standard" option. I should probably add the various superior "small" weapons to my list of notable feats, alongside things like "Scrappy." Setting-wise it works fine. The spear thing was just a popular tactic in their history that I'd like to make functional for all of their best classes, since they have so very few due to their stats.

Incenjucar on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Defender: Swordmage, but with Str as a primary, they can do any.
    Striker: Anything Str or Int-based - Melee/Heavy Thrown Ranger, Barbarian, um... Okay. Primarily Int-based Strikers?
    Leader: Taclord. ONLY TACLORD. TACLORD IS ALL YOU NEED.
    Controller: Okay, sorta locked into buffwizard.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit, there's a Thri-Kreen in the Lords of Madness set.

It's like they listen to me. :P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Third session in our game tonight. I hope the players get out of town and start doing stuff.

mrflippy on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Third session in our game tonight. I hope the players get out of town and start doing stuff.

blow up the town... it's the only way.

and I'm still trying figure out the mindscrew that is "I know what homebrew is and I don't want to it or ask my DM to just let me but I'm playing my homebrew race and I'm just going to make up a homebrew feat to do what I want to do anyway" Is there something there that I missed?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

and I'm still trying figure out the mindscrew that is "I know what homebrew is and I don't want to it or ask my DM to just let me but I'm playing my homebrew race and I'm just going to make up a homebrew feat to do what I want to do anyway" Is there something there that I missed?

It's just jewcar being jewcar. We're not meant to understand :P

Chanus on
  • LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm still trying figure out the mindscrew that is "I know what homebrew is and I don't want to it or ask my DM to just let me but I'm playing my homebrew race and I'm just going to make up a homebrew feat to do what I want to do anyway" Is there something there that I missed?

++
    I don't even..

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
    edited September 2010

The part where I asked a question and two people gave me answers to a completely different question because they think I don't know what question I want the answer to.

Incenjucar on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The part where I asked a question and two people gave me answers to a completely different question because they think I don't know what question I want the answer to.

In fairness, he is hoping to publish his homebrew through Wizards as he said--so, it seems he is trying to minimize rules changes as much as possible. An additional "race" could conceivably get published by wizards--if he can minimize other changes, that makes sense, because 4e is very balanced. It's possible that there is a feat combo meaning that if you just let them use spears as swords they will get all types of crazy min/max benefits that he isn't seeing.

It's a reasonable question!

streever on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's really pretty simple.

"You can just do B" when someone asks "does A exist?" does not answer the question, which is "does A exist?" :P

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2010
    Exactly. <3

Incenjucar on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Blarg, watching my group fighter is a tad painful when she rebuilds her character. She gets a free rebuild (due to Martial Power 1 and 2 coming out AFTER we started playing) and has decided to go Tempest fighter because she likes some Feat which allows her to wield two longswords (but requires Tempest fighter before using).

So she rebuilds and what does she use? KATARS.

YOU JUST REBUILT TO USE LONGSWORDS. You even have TWO FEATS which make using longswords optimal (Eladrin Soldier and that other one with wielding two). Augh.

Sipex on
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, Katars are hella sexy.

Incenjucar on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh no doubt, I just wish she wouldn't waste her feats and class features so frivilously. I'm a min/maxer at heart so it hurts to see something go to waste. She'd probably be much better off playing a rogue if this is what she wants.

Sipex on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Swordmage Warding does not work with two handed weapons.

deadonthestreet on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sure it does. The bonus just drops from +3 to +1.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It does, you just get only +1 AC instead of +3

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010

+3 +1 +1 +3 something something

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

It does, you just get only +1 AC instead of +3

In essence, you lose your "heavy shield" bonus just like most other two-handing defenders, and the base +1 is just to bring you up to par in general.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    streever wrote: »

In fairness, he is hoping to publish his homebrew through Wizards as he said--so, it seems he is trying to minimize rules changes as much as possible. An additional "race" could conceivably get published by wizards--if he can minimize other changes, that makes sense, because 4e is very balanced. It's possible that there is a feat combo meaning that if you just let them use spears as swords they will get all types of crazy min/max benefits that he isn't seeing.

Sure it is streeve, but the question gets lost in the silly situation created... I mean if he actually explained what he wanted it wouldn't have been huh y'know? but instead of that, he makes a point of saying how long he'd been playing and that he doesn't homebrew or whatever. then comes the reveal that he's just playing with his homebrew content. bam! right out of left field and all.

but eh, maybe I'm crazy. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited September 2010
    donuts is the crazy.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Made the rounds today, hoping to catch an early shelving of Essentials. The only thing I found was the Dungeon Master Tiles, which I have zero interest in.

Hopefully the rest will hit shelves tomorrow.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    streever wrote: »

Sure it is streeve, but the question gets lost in the silly situation created... I mean if he actually explained what he wanted it wouldn't have been huh y'know? but instead of that, he makes a point of saying how long he'd been playing and that he doesn't homebrew or whatever. then comes the reveal that he's just playing with his homebrew content. bam! right out of left field and all.

but eh, maybe I'm crazy. ;p

Good points ;-) Things also get crazy now with how fast this thread moves. Back in the old days, we'd be around page 33 now.

streever on