As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Minecraft - There is no sound, Drop to refresh durability, That's a spawn cage

• Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I broke through a hill and found maybe... 30 zombies inside with a chest full of bread and a caged fire pit.

WHAT were those zombies doing?

Cannon Goose on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    graaaaaaaains

Delzhand on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    graaaaaaaains

You win at the Internet today. :lol:

citizen059 on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game now bought!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    graaaaaaaains

:^::^::^:

Anzekay on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    graaaaaaaains

You win at the Internet today. :lol:

LFT.

That was AMAZING.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    I was wondering..I remember seeing side by side wooden doors.

Is this still possible?

Yep. Just put them next to each other, and they'll orient so they open towards the middle (if you get what I mean).

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    pabh wrote: »
    Wow. Ok so wolvie, those torches I put down ny mine to light it, so I could do stuff? I'd appreciate it if you didn't just steal them.

Ahh, that was an active mine? Sorry about that. When I was lost down there trying to find my way back out again after a hour or so of wandering around, I was plucking the torches off the wall to try to follow the bread crumbs of light back to the way out... that didn't work, probably in part to the light of the lava. Wasn't trying to steal anything, in fact they are all on that stack of dirt that was left over after I clawed my way through the strata with no tools since I had thought I was just playing (lost) tourist to make sure I didn't wreck anything... of course right after I had emerged from the deep darkness, I think IdolNinja or Kris or someone told me to type /home...:P I can put them all back, it won't be too hard now that I have that bit of knowledge, I'll go take care of that now, not sure how much longer this connection is good for because we are switching ISPs and today is supposed to be the last day for this unreliable ISP.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Oura wrote: »
    Ein, I'm a long time reader of PA (6+ years), but I've never ventured in to the forums.

I had to register to tell you that Rapture looks amazing and you and the rest of the players did a fantastic job. I need to backread this entire thread now (just looked at pictures before), but do you ever give any tips on how to make an underwater building? I've tried unsuccessfully several times.

Still just completely amazed that people created that.

Underwater building's a little tedious, but also way easier than most people make it out to be. The basic method is simply to build the framework of the building underwater, then wall it up - ceiling, walls, floors. Then you have to fill the interior and dig it back out again to displace water. The easiest materials to do this with are typically sand or gravel, since they 'fall' due to gravity and can quickly fill a space. You can also do the torch trick (where you knock out the bottom block of a column of sand or gravel, and then very quickly deploy a torch in the space where it was) to make all of the above blocks fall on the torch and deconstruct themselves.

:D

Having run in APB with you I am not surprised you have found another game creativity outlet.

Rapture is awesome.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    graaaaaaaains

I just LOL'd so loud at my cubicle just right now... that was bang on :lol:

Lt. Fragg on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finally finished The Worldcracker.

worldcracker.png

Here's my first attempt to detonate it:

worldcrackerdetonation.png

I say "first" because Minecraft has crashed both times I've tried to detonate it.

worldcrackerdetonation2.png

At least the game crashed in ways that let me take cool screencaps.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just wanted to pile on in the love for Minecraft. It really taps in to the "Make a fort out of sofa cushions" part of the brain, for me. So good.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • davesmatedavesmate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a private minecraft server hosted by jestservers.com ready for a dozen or so people to join.

So far we have just two things:

1) Jack
    2) Shit

And Jack just got banned.

It's fresh and pristine, ready to be defiled.

PM me if you'd like to be in with your MineCraft username.

davesmate on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So since it's down right now and I can't remember: is Notch using anything other than paypal at the moment for purchases?

citizen059 on
  • VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Attention all dwellers of the UNDERDARK!

The DEEPDWARF ATHEIST UNION has risen to calmly denounce all gods.

We have taken over a free house built by some unknown creator (certainly not a supernatural creator, though) and have claimed it as our rational gathering area.

Oh, and we also created a giant stone structure stating "NO GOD". With torches. It's still quite rational. You can't miss it.

The requirements to join are a complete denouncement of all gods, including silly 'firestars' which probably don't exist. Also, we have a surface entrance (though the surface probably doesn't exist, but just in case), just look for a completely rational gathering of torches in your fictional overworld.

We currently have..._1_ member, but are accepting applications! Just wear a golden hat. Don't have a golden hat? Mine for that shit! What do you think Deepdwarves do? Our headquarters are located east of the giant 'NO GOD' sign, on the left hand side.

VG-Robot on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I started a new world and found a small cave with water and a cow in it right next to the spawn so I sealed myself in there the first night. On the second day I found some iron nearby and started to plan my new house when went behind a hill and saw a giant floating island high in the sky connected to the ground by a single pillar of rock and a small hill. I immediately picked up all my crap and got up there, making the only access a ladder.

I am now going to build a small house and a garden.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    how do you eat the food you make?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't get why people are talking about single player being so treacherous. I've been playing for several hours now and ran into a total of one creeper.. just now.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    how do you eat the food you make?

Put it in your hand and right-click.

Sir Carcass on
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't get why people are talking about single player being so treacherous. I've been playing for several hours now and ran into a total of one creeper.. just now.

You say that now, just wait until a skeleton archer takes away all your freshly mined ore in a deep dark place.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • MadCowLucienMadCowLucien Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Using a lava tower to indicate where your tree farm is located: bad idea.

MadCowLucien on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    eat food by holding it and right-clicking.

Single player can be treacherous if you don't know what to avoid and how to handle yourself. Is that your first creeper ever?

Because if you don't have the tools to defend yourself and you get caught close to one, the frantic nature of trying to escape is pretty visceral . Personally, I hate skeltons more than anything because I rarely make bows (too busy to hunt spiders for their string).

I was making a cool wooden skyway, figured I'd use glass hallways as transitions and Lava as a lightsource.

Protip: lava sparks will erupt THROUGH glass and light your wooden causeway on fire from up to 5 blocks away. There goes 2 hours of work. Oh well. At least the cave I found had enough iron to make 40 blocks of iron (so about 375 iron ingots). I'm going to make an iron house.

belligerent on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish there was some sort of quest engine, if only because I had the idea to make a khazadum type 1-wide bridge and trap a bunch of skeleton archers in pedestals alongside it.

Delzhand on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    also,

waiting for the new comic is killin' me.

belligerent on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I can completely understand why you may think that. It's more about when you run into them unexpectedly in a cave or in a spot where you simply don't expect...

Example from my adventures...

I have this thing for hollowing out hillsides etc for fortresses, instead of building up in the sky.

My main digs started with a humble wood cabin at the crest of a large cliff side overlooking a large lake, that lead out to basically an ocean (I'd post pics if I wasn't at work, gorgeous view). From this home base, I dug down into the cliff side and hollowed it out. Started giving it large glass windows to let the sunlight in at sunrise, had a nice waterfall coming down one side, you get the point. It was a cool fortress, it was my home that I was proud of.

Anyhow, the bottom level was actually below sea level, and I had a pool of water near the bottom that fed in from the lake so I had a nice garden inside, and the waterfall fed into it from above.

My location was well lit, so encounters with monsters were very rare, unless I sought them out myself. I could occasionally see Creepers and Zombies bobbing out in the lake at night, but that's about as close as they would get.

OK ENOUGH BACKGROUND STORY... :mrgreen:

I was coming back from an offsite mining location I set up on another island, had a good number of resources. The sun was up, just before noon i'd estimate. I paddled up to my lakeside entrance for my cliffside fortress, disembarked my boat, stepped inside... FACE TO FACE WITH A CREEPER

So let me just say, I am 30 years old. I have a wife etc. I don't startle easily. I'm not afraid of the dark...you get the point. But I literally screamed at the top of my lungs "OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK AUGGHH" I had no weapons in hand, and I basically tried to run away but he was already hissing...BOOOM there goes my 2 large chest...I hope I can find the rest of my **HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS** OH MY FUCKING GO..BOOM another one goes off, sea water flowing in from the breach, HUGE hole where my main level used to be, all chests etc gone.

Lessons I learned.

1) Creepers don't die in sunlight
    2) Don't have a water feed in from the lake, it might bring you unwanted visitors
    3) Minecraft can cause heartattacks.

Never forget.

Lt. Fragg on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    also,

waiting for the new comic is killin' me.

JamesKeenan on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will shit spawn in tunnels I've made/explored already?

Okay I just fell into some lava I found and lost everything I had on... including like 50 redstone ore. I guess it's forever lost in there.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited September 2010
    Will shit spawn in tunnels I've made/explored already?

If it is dark I believe.

Librarian's ghost on

• atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    I have a wife etc. I don't startle easily.

Creepers: scarier than wives. Fact!

atat23 on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    General question on running servers:

What kind of system stats are required? I've got an old box sitting around doing nothing, but it's not exactly a powerhouse.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    So weirdly enough the minecraft site was up earlier this morning just long enough to allow me to register and purchase, but now it's back down.

Librarian's ghost on

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    was all of rapture preserved? I had just started a big ol' golem and didn't know if I should just move on.

schuss on
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    General question on running servers:

What kind of system stats are required? I've got an old box sitting around doing nothing, but it's not exactly a powerhouse.

Memory is the biggest killer. It is also pretty IO intense when people go exploring, so you want to have a decently fast HD. CPU gets taxed more once you get over 10 people.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've found this helps:

Solid State Drive, pretty amazing for SMP.
    Loooots of memory, make sure to start it to utilize all that memory or else it defaults to like 512 I think.
    A Decent processor helps, the faster the better. Not sure if the server supports multiple processors correctly, or, utilizes them in any significant way.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    was all of rapture preserved? I had just started a big ol' golem and didn't know if I should just move on.

Mmmmostly. I think your golem got eaten, since Zetx gave me a backup of the map from before you made it.

That said, we've advanced considerably.

Ein on
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Their is a new utility out now. It takes the map of your world and allows you to slice it down layer by layer. I learned that one of my worlds has almost no caves at all and the two dungeons it does have is surrounded by rock. It also gives you a really nice overhead map of what your current world looks like that you can fly around in.

http://xiatek.org/?p=89

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I've found this helps:

Solid State Drive, pretty amazing for SMP.
    Loooots of memory, make sure to start it to utilize all that memory or else it defaults to like 512 I think.
    A Decent processor helps, the faster the better. Not sure if the server supports multiple processors correctly, or, utilizes them in any significant way.

Correct, SMP does not utilize multiple processors. Java can, but SMP does not thread currently.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can I get the new info for the Underdark? I apparently missed the memo =(

EDIT: danke, Pauper. Glory to the Great and Red.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    VG-Robot wrote: »
    Attention all dwellers of the UNDERDARK!

The DEEPDWARF ATHEIST UNION has risen to calmly denounce all gods.

We have taken over a free house built by some unknown creator (certainly not a supernatural creator, though) and have claimed it as our rational gathering area.

Oh, and we also created a giant stone structure stating "NO GOD". With torches. It's still quite rational. You can't miss it.

The requirements to join are a complete denouncement of all gods, including silly 'firestars' which probably don't exist. Also, we have a surface entrance (though the surface probably doesn't exist, but just in case), just look for a completely rational gathering of torches in your fictional overworld.

We currently have..._1_ member, but are accepting applications! Just wear a golden hat. Don't have a golden hat? Mine for that shit! What do you think Deepdwarves do? Our headquarters are located east of the giant 'NO GOD' sign, on the left hand side.

You are a blasphemer and we RedStoners shall never believe such heresy!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The server lends itself nicely to desktop systems mainly because they usually have less cores and more speed. Whereas servers tend to have more cores and less speed.

For instance my home PC, 4 cores and it's 3.0GHz-ish. The servers at work? 12(2x6) cores and they're at 2.0GHz. Now, the server works great for lots of little processes that need to get done. Not so great at gigantic single processes that aren't designed for multicore.

I imagine the server software would perform better on a P4 3.2 GHz than a Xeon 2.0GHz system.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.