As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    The framing artwork doesn't really seem to relate to the shape of the text. It makes a frame around the names but doesn't really hug the text or react to it if that makes sense. I think it would strengthen the designs if the art felt more like it was built to the contours of the text. (Bringing some of the curves of the second design in around the names, wrapping the scorpion's claws/mermaid's tail around the text, etc.)

There's also a real disparity between the thin lines of the text and the thick heavy lines of the artwork. It would be nice to see some of those thin curves in the artwork as well.

DMAC on
  • AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    The framing artwork doesn't really seem to relate to the shape of the text. It makes a frame around the names but doesn't really hug the text or react to it if that makes sense. I think it would strengthen the designs if the art felt more like it was built to the contours of the text. (Bringing some of the curves of the second design in around the names, wrapping the scorpion's claws/mermaid's tail around the text, etc.)

There's also a real disparity between the thin lines of the text and the thick heavy lines of the artwork. It would be nice to see some of those thin curves in the artwork as well.

I agree. It'd be nice to see the designs have more of a relationship with the text. Right now, it looks like text was just throwin in between the designs.

Alecxant on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is also the worst ampersand I've ever seen.

desperaterobots on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    still working on this thing
    tried to add in suggestions from last time
    need to fix the hands for sure X_x
    mechanic2.png

(and here's before changes, for reference)
    mechanic1.png

mully on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    face looks quite nice mully

edit: that study is coming along really nice, sublimus

2pslzk7.jpg

k49gt1.jpg

Tam on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    k49gt1.jpg[/QUOTE]

balphagore?

Greatnation on
    edited September 2010
    had to look that up, so no
    but damn that's way cooler than my thing

Tam on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    uhm, i guess i spent a lot of the day on this
    wcxFU.png

it's not very good.

I like your things, Tam

Projeck on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a lot happier with this version, I think
    qAQHh.png

Projeck on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Nice progress on the pinup, Mully- now that you've got things blocked out pretty solidly, I might suggest (depending on the ultimate sort of feel you're going for) going in and softening a lot of those brushstrokes. If you look at a good reproduction of an old-school Gil Elvgren type pinup, the use of hard edges are limited almost exclusively to defining the figure's contour or clothes, while the interior space is defined almost entirely through soft or firm edges.

I think you paint sorta like I do usually, spending a lot of time with a hard-edge brush scrubbing in color, just hammering at it to get it right. This works well at getting you 90% there, but after awhile I've found it becomes increasingly difficult to get the sort of 'polished' finished that I want to end up with, as it leaves a lot of hard brushstroke edges everywhere, and trying to get rid of them with more hard brushstrokes is a huge pain.

At this point, what you might want to do is select all that background blue and use it as a mask, so you can only paint inside the contours. Then, using a 100% soft brush at a high opacity, eyedrop select the colors you've got and paint with clean strokes running down the form. The temptation here (and this is what I tried for a long time with little success) is to dance around committing to that sort of bold stroke by working with a soft, low opacity brush- but that ends up leaving you with a lot of leftover bits from your previous work that then look out of place, and are hard to get rid of. In order to prevent bleeding while working this way, use the lasso selection tool to retain the hard edges you want- ie: make a selection around the thigh in front so your stroke doesn't bleed into the one behind.

Example paintover so you can see what I'm on about:
    Mully_PinUp2.jpg

Now you obviously don't want to go too overboard with soft edges or else you wind up with bad 70's airbrush art- but it's something to consider when moving forward.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited September 2010
    StevenZapataStrikePodWeb.jpg

I hear you guys like drawing crazy crap erry now and a-then.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    b7gpc6.jpg

Fantastic.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice progress on the pinup, Mully- now that you've got things blocked out pretty solidly, I might suggest (depending on the ultimate sort of feel you're going for) going in and softening a lot of those brushstrokes. If you look at a good reproduction of an old-school Gil Elvgren type pinup, the use of hard edges are limited almost exclusively to defining the figure's contour or clothes, while the interior space is defined almost entirely through soft or firm edges.

I think you paint sorta like I do usually, spending a lot of time with a hard-edge brush scrubbing in color, just hammering at it to get it right. This works well at getting you 90% there, but after awhile I've found it becomes increasingly difficult to get the sort of 'polished' finished that I want to end up with, as it leaves a lot of hard brushstroke edges everywhere, and trying to get rid of them with more hard brushstrokes is a huge pain.

At this point, what you might want to do is select all that background blue and use it as a mask, so you can only paint inside the contours. Then, using a 100% soft brush at a high opacity, eyedrop select the colors you've got and paint with clean strokes running down the form. The temptation here (and this is what I tried for a long time with little success) is to dance around committing to that sort of bold stroke by working with a soft, low opacity brush- but that ends up leaving you with a lot of leftover bits from your previous work that then look out of place, and are hard to get rid of. In order to prevent bleeding while working this way, use the lasso selection tool to retain the hard edges you want- ie: make a selection around the thigh in front so your stroke doesn't bleed into the one behind.

Example paintover so you can see what I'm on about:
    PAINTOVER.JPG

Now you obviously don't want to go too overboard with soft edges or else you wind up with bad 70's airbrush art- but it's something to consider when moving forward.

You just pretty well much described a problem I've been having forever. Cleaning up messy hard edged strokes has been a pain in my ass for as long as I can remember. EDIT: Whoops, just re-read what you wrote.

Mustang on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hard edges can be a nuisance, but thats why its better to keep things much softer for as long as you can until you really want to create a focal point with a nice harder edge. It took a long time to get out of that habit, and I have to constantly remind myself all the time to keep things softer.

The only problem with that pinup, which I don't know if it was stated, but the lack of a background is not helping whatsoever. Hard to understand lighting without it. The background also has a large influence on whats interacting with it, and right now its just a floating figure on a page.

Shizumaru on
    edited September 2010
    The only problem I'd have with that method is that I would struggle to get a functional structure to begin with. I need my hard edges for direction otherwise I get lost and end up with soup. I suppose that's an experience thing though.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    I really enjoyed drawing fedora dude's face, but that body was painful to put down
    Maybe I will fix it

2qsbe6s.jpg

Tam on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    The only problem I'd have with that method is that I would struggle to get a functional structure to begin with. I need my hard edges for direction otherwise I get lost and end up with soup. I suppose that's an experience thing though.

Your structure actually should be nice straight lines, not so much edges at that point. But once tone comes into the picture, or at least when large shadow masses are filled, soft all the way.

Edit: this is of course, in relationship to academic drawing. Concepting/creative stuff is pretty much open to anything.

Shizumaru on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mully wrote: »
    still working on this thing
    tried to add in suggestions from last time
    need to fix the hands for sure X_x
    http://www.mulldacity.com/mechanic2.png

I like the originality with the shape of her body. Steering away from the cliche body shapes of popular pin-up posters.

winter_combat_knight on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bacon, did you ever know that you're my hero?
    you're everything i would like to be.
    i could soar higher ... than an eagle.

because you are the wind beneath my wings

(i will try out your suggestion for sure.)

mully on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    getting more of a handle on matte painting.

castle.jpg

Obilex on
    edited September 2010
    You certainly are getting the handle of it. I want to play matte painter too now.

Mustang on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think that's pretty awesome.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam, you fantastic fellow, I just had to color this:
    b7gpc6.jpg

TamGangsterColor.jpg

Hope ya don't mind! Also I blew the linework up to 150 dpi, so can give you the larger color picture if you want. :)

[BOPT'd]

(also holy freakin' crap, Obilex, that's awesome. I can tell you got the clouds from a brighter, middle-of-the-day picture, though. I'd maybe tone 'em down and desaturate them a bit.)
    Obilex wrote: »
    getting more of a handle on matte painting.

castle.jpg

I really enjoyed drawing fedora dude's face, but that body was painful to put down
    Maybe I will fix it

2qsbe6s.jpg

NightDragon on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy Shit! Obilex you went from like super mediocre photo comp to omg matte painting in like 2 days.

Also ND, that shirt is awesome.

Chromatomic on
    edited September 2010
    yesss, ND you are the best
    I would definitely like the large version, please

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    Tam if you had a portfolio full of characters like that in color with turn-arounds...

I hate you.

rts on
    edited September 2010
    I might do it
    just to spite you

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    I want you to do it too, Tam. Do it to be awesome.

[edit] and I will send you the larger picture when I get back home. :)

NightDragon on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh shiz Tam+ND teamup of coolness

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2010
    I also want the larger picture.

rts on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam, seriously though, I agree with Cake

You would get hired rather quickly. Just sayin'

Wassermelone on
    edited September 2010
    well hell maybe I'll do some turnarounds in the future

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    Also learn to do what ND did with your image. Ask her for lessons if you have to.

rts on
    edited September 2010
    Also learn to do what ND did but in oil paint. So I can buy an original. I will put it on my wall next to my Adam Rex or Jon Foster or something if you like.

rts on
    edited September 2010
    :lol:

Man, that reminds me how much I want to sit down and work with oils again...:C

NightDragon on
    edited September 2010
    Here's another thing. I'm just doing my friends now.

4f003b90.png

desperaterobots on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thats some of my favorite hair of yours, dr, but i think it lost a little life in the skin department

mensch-o-matic on
    edited September 2010
    True. He does have very good skin, though... Maybe i'll work it up a little more.

desperaterobots on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Awesome job, ND! Tam's drawings have been screaming, "Color us!" for a long time.

Paradise on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    well hell maybe I'll do some turnarounds in the future

I agree with everyone else. But I have a secret agenda. make them turnaround so I can sculpt them! rawrwr

GurtPerk on
This discussion has been closed.