As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]auqua Lake!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arch, I think he meant the persecution complex some people have. Not sure though. Otherwise yeah that isn't tolerance Will.

Edit: Guess I was wrong. Saying someone has a pathological problem is not tolerance. Especially when large parts of that are just different wiring and such.

so is transgenderism not regarded as a pathology?

because a quick google search seems to turn up that this is a hotly-debated topic in psychology.

i'm not a psychologist, so i guess i don't really know where the line of "pathology" is.

This is going to be my last post on this stuff, I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth.

Pathological and such in normal speech hold a negative spin to them. Being transgendered isn't something we should see as negative or living in alternative relationships. Describing it as a pathology outside of a scientific study putting on the cultural thought process that such behavior is abhorrent and should be treated to fit the norm. When it shouldn't. This is not something that should be clumped in actual pathological problems.

The question "is X pathological?" is a can containing two really big worms. The first worm is "is X a disease-state?" which is itself a controversial area; the second worm is "what kind of stigma will we introduce by labeling X pathological, and is that stigma deserved?"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inqi, you want to go play LoL with me? I am bored and it would be fun to try it out again with less random pugs and people I want to burn.

Sure, we can play a game, you available for one right now? What's your LoL name, mine is WinterFlea

Swapping comps, I will let you know when its booted since I haven't played since April I think.

You'll probably need to update, so, I'm going to shave while I wait for ya.

Shave your taint man, your ass looks like its got a scroatee.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright galahad, I laughed at that

Arch on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    God damn I'm feeling like a jerk today. I should probably stay off of the internet.

Not that I'm going to.

Sorry to anyone I've been a jerk to.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    How is proper behaviour determined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_North_America

"Unless in a restaurant or bar that sells them, it is polite to ask the staff if cigars may be smoked, even in the smoking section, as even many smokers find their odor particularly offensive."

I prefer the smoke of a cigar a hundred times over more than the smoke of a cigarette. I don't care which is worse, etc, etc, cigars smell better to me and don't cause involuntary coughing (which smokers seem to construe as hinting that that they shouldn't be smoking, which of course I think but would never tell them, so dirty looks all around).

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A problematic issue I've observed in particular with the perception of feminism on the internet is that feminists will be quick to cry "strawman!" (strawperson? teehee) or point out how that's not real feminism when people bring up anecdotes of nutbag "feminazis" they've encountered or whatever.

And I'm not accusing those feminists of "No True Scotsman", although sometimes that also happens.

No, the real problem is that within their own online communities (and within the classrooms of women's studies) not enough internal policing is done of this extremism and insanity. Instead, you see cries of "SAFE SPACE" and other insular policies that make it impossible to criticize someone else's viewpoint as too extreme or harmful to the movement as a whole.

This is essentially a problem with almost every kind of establishment-challenging political umbrella, where the extremists and crazies can't be called out by the reasonable moderates even within their own discussions because in doing so the accusation is inevitably leveled that you are no different than the heteronormative patriarchy or whatever and trying to squelch ideas and discussion.

I'm not saying it's the responsibility of every feminist to police other feminists for insane bullshit ideas, but the fact that the discussion culture (especially online) is antithetical to the very idea of demanding people moderate their ideology is problematic.

Pony on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"Unless in a restaurant or bar that sells them, it is polite to ask the staff if cigars may be smoked, even in the smoking section, as even many smokers find their odor particularly offensive."

I prefer the smoke of a cigar a hundred times over more than the smoke of a cigarette. I don't care which is worse, etc, etc, cigars smell better to me.

Yeah, for me cigars actually have a pretty pleasant smell. Cigarettes.... not so much

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, Archer is pretty much the greatest show to watch while you're wasted. I literally cried from laughing at it and I'm not entirely sure why.

Alternately: don't do a Ph D.

You probably won't get to nail the other hot Ph. D candidate in your group, because you're not nearly as awesome as I am and thus it will just be soul destroying and let's face it, the crazy chick is just crazy.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    God damn I'm feeling like a jerk today. I should probably stay off of the internet.

Not that I'm going to.

Sorry to anyone I've been a jerk to.

Its too late I've dispatched the dick wolves, with each howling unwelcome thrust you'll think next time before you post.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Uh oh, look at this one
    The highest tenet of North American etiquette is that it is inappropriate to tell others they are not following proper etiquette

Will you are breaking the highest tenet by complaining about all of this inappropriate behaviour.

unless 1) they are specifically asking whether they are being rude, or 2) the person is under your instruction, such as is the case with a parent, babysitter, teacher, or supervisor.

Damnit. Will better not be bringing any boys around.

But we know he will because that is the expected behaviour.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    (strawperson? teehee)

made me laugh more then it probably should have.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

Uh oh, look at this one
    The highest tenet of North American etiquette is that it is inappropriate to tell others they are not following proper etiquette

Will you are breaking the highest tenet by complaining about all of this inappropriate behaviour.

i definitely would not point out someone's misbehavior to them in real life unless they asked me for my opinion of it.

because we're on the internet and we're swapping opinions on things, i let my opinions of courtesy and proper behavior be known.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    VH, you should give LoL a shake, you might like it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Pony, safespaces are sort of necessary. For example, gay people need a place where they don't have to be afraid they'll be called fag if they look at some same-sex person. And women need somewhere to discuss womanly things, especially with respect to culture at large.

Though safespaces are, admittedly, a tricky thing, and it does take some discipline to make sure that the safe space doesn't allow noxious ideas to take hold.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    next tme i go drinking i'm definitely trying an old fashioned

Organichu on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    A problematic issue I've observed in particular with the perception of feminism on the internet is that feminists will be quick to cry "strawman!" (strawperson? teehee) or point out how that's not real feminism when people bring up anecdotes of nutbag "feminazis" they've encountered or whatever.

And I'm not accusing those feminists of "No True Scotsman", although sometimes that also happens.

No, the real problem is that within their own online communities (and within the classrooms of women's studies) not enough internal policing is done of this extremism and insanity. Instead, you see cries of "SAFE SPACE" and other insular policies that make it impossible to criticize someone else's viewpoint as too extreme or harmful to the movement as a whole.

This is essentially a problem with almost every kind of establishment-challenging political umbrella, where the extremists and crazies can't be called out by the reasonable moderates even within their own discussions because in doing so the accusation is inevitably leveled that you are no different than the heteronormative patriarchy or whatever and trying to squelch ideas and discussion.

I'm not saying it's the responsibility of every feminist to police other feminists for insane bullshit ideas, but the fact that the discussion culture (especially online) is antithetical to the very idea of demanding people moderate their ideology is problematic.

Yep. That's exactly what I was referring to. I also tend to think there is an effect from constantly talking to only, or mostly likeminded people where those ideas become your new norm, and as that happens, more extreme ideas gradually become more and more acceptable. Thus, people in political groups tend to progress toward the fringe over time.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i definitely would not point out someone's misbehavior to them in real life unless they asked me for my opinion of it.

because we're on the internet and we're swapping opinions on things, i let my opinions of courtesy and proper behavior be known.

Yeah I don't think you are in the wrong here at all, if only they would accept you have a different opinion. Sadly they aren't even tolerating it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, Archer is pretty much the greatest show to watch while you're wasted. I literally cried from laughing at it and I'm not entirely sure why.

Alternately: don't do a Ph D.

You probably won't get to nail the other hot Ph. D candidate in your group, because you're not nearly as awesome as I am and thus it will just be soul destroying and let's face it, the crazy chick is just crazy.

High five "sleeping with the hot girl in your group" buddy. I just wish the rest of the PhD was as successful.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i think yer all a bunch o cocks

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    i am kind of nervous, though, that i'll misstep- thinking the bar is fancy enough for certain cocktails when they are not

what about the bar of like, a chain restaurant? would they be able to make one of the classic cocktails (old fashioned, sazerac, etc.)?

if they did, would it be terrible?

Organichu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ultimately, whether or not a state is a disease-state is largely socially determined; when we say "X is a disease" what we're really saying is "people shouldn't have X, and medical professionals are the best people to get rid of X or reduce X's effects." The first part of that is a normative judgment, the second part of that is a pragmatic one.

Nobody's been able to come up with a culture-independent definition of "disease."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am kind of nervous, though, that i'll misstep- thinking the bar is fancy enough for certain cocktails when they are not

what about the bar of like, a chain restaurant? would they be able to make one of the classic cocktails (old fashioned, sazerac, etc.)?

come here and drink i know some fancy pants bars

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is Absynth really a great hallucinogen? I need some alternatives to developing a drug problem.

It's absolutely over-hyped. You'd have better luck with cough medicine.

TL DR on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inqi:Its downloading, 4 minute estimate.

VH:I have not gone to the shop to pick up the deck, if I get really into it I will grab the book. 17 bucks is still 17 dollars for an unemployed man like me. But I still kind of want to try it out. The website has the cards for the battle box I can run a small force off of those. Which is Skorcha, a Devastator and another Jack. I can get it up to 15 pretty quickly if you want to run a vassal game with that at some point.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Ultimately, whether or not a state is a disease-state is largely socially determined; when we say "X is a disease" what we're really saying is "people shouldn't have X, and medical professionals are the best people to get rid of X or reduce X's effects." The first part of that is a normative judgment, the second part of that is a pragmatic one.

Nobody's been able to come up with a culture-independent definition of "disease."

Well, at least for mental disorders

Arch on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will, I smell the Internet. I sniff your posts, they are like succulent hams to my nostrils. The Internet is as real to me as what you call the "real world". Your intolerance stinks of sulfur, the eggs rotting next to the festering ham that once shone with grease. I must throw it in the garbage for the hobos must feast this evening.

Organichu, I would be hella impressed if Applebees even knew what a Sazerac was besides guessing it was a malicious mountain demon.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

What makes it better than DotA?

Because I was playing SCII's DotA and I was not pleased.

Winky on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is Will around, I have a question about the alcohol.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher! I can't see that youtube cause I'm at work but

when I saw Daxon's post, I immediately thought "man I wish I could link him Black Dynomite." apparently we think alike.

and yes it's on netflix instant watch

Its a great movie that no one saw. Shit I throw that movie before I enter the room...

I saw it, it was great.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

come here and drink i know some fancy pants bars

You don't go to an applebees and order an old fashioned. You get a beer, or a jack and coke.

Hell, you don't go anywhere and order an old fashioned.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think if a bar has liquor and they can't make you at least a passable old fashioned, it's not a bar you'd want to be ordering those types of drinks from.

Also: If the bartender is under 30, it will be hit-or-miss unless it's a swanky joint.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pony wrote: »

I think this is partly that(at least in the case of minority groups) they've had majorities moderating them without their consent for quite some time.

Also, if you're going to draw a line, that begs the question, "where shall we place it?"

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it free?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Your chances of them serving you a specific drink at a chain restaurant bar are high, but the chances of that drink being mixed shittily is almost certain.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

Well, at least for mental disorders

Even physical diseases require a value judgment. It's just that when it comes to them it's much easier to find a uniform, cross-cultural consensus on "I don't want my dick to explode into bloody shreds."

Winky on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it free?

yes

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

when I saw Daxon's post, I immediately thought "man I wish I could link him Black Dynomite." apparently we think alike.

Its a great movie that no one saw. Shit I throw that movie before I enter the room...

I saw it, it was great.

The Black Dynamite drinking game will get you DRUNK.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I have this problem with bars around here

"Oh this place looks like they know how to make a proper mojito or Manhattan oh whooops all they have is mixers"

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i had a really good manhattan the other week at a place that had a happy hour so it was 6 bucks!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I saw it, it was great.

I still laugh about the fake ad the movie opens up with.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.