As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]auqua Lake!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or maybe if a comic book geek was working the bar he would guess you were asking for the incantation Raven uses to summon her powers.

Sazerac Metrion Zinthos!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    VH, you should give LoL a shake, you might like it.
    Is it free?

yes
    Oh shit, I'll grab it then.

bee arr bee

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am kind of nervous, though, that i'll misstep- thinking the bar is fancy enough for certain cocktails when they are not

what about the bar of like, a chain restaurant? would they be able to make one of the classic cocktails (old fashioned, sazerac, etc.)?

if they did, would it be terrible?

an old-fashioned is the simplest cocktail there is

that said, its construction varies a whole lot from place to place.

most places i've had one was muddled fruit (typically orange & cherry), whiskey, bitters, and sugar or syrup.

sometimes there's no muddled fruit, but instead they will add a twist and express it in the glass.

basically, if the bar serves cocktails at all they ought to be able to figure out the old fashioned

but it might not be the best old-fashioned

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Pony, safespaces are sort of necessary. For example, gay people need a place where they don't have to be afraid they'll be called fag if they look at some same-sex person. And women need somewhere to discuss womanly things, especially with respect to culture at large.

Though safespaces are, admittedly, a tricky thing, and it does take some discipline to make sure that the safe space doesn't allow noxious ideas to take hold.

The problem is that "SAFE SPACE" gets used as a rebuke to any sort of challenge to a notion a person may have put forth and is largely done as a way to exclude people that aren't the same as the speaker.

For example, a while back a friend of mine linked me to a blog post of a woman who was a sexual assault victim, years later trying to date again.

She was on a date with a guy she met online, and while crossing the street she stepped out into traffic and there was an oncoming car. So the guy she was with grabbed her from behind and pulled her out of traffic.

This "triggered" her, being suddenly and forcefully grabbed and pulled from behind by a man, and she proceeded to have a "trigger event" (which is the feminist codeword for "post-traumatic stress episode" since a lot of them don't like to acknowledge PTSD exists).

So she had a big freak-out, told the guy off, and then came online to make a blog post about what a huge asshole he was, how dare he grab her, etc. etc.

A lot of people were basically like "Yeah, how dare he!" but a great many more were like "uh don't you think you over-reacted a little on him? He was trying to save you from being hit by a car. Yes it is unfortunate that he triggered you but he was trying to save you from getting killed".

This led to a cawing circle of people screaming about SAFE SPACE and how they're victim-blaming and so on.

That is a problem.

Pony on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »

What makes it better than DotA?

Because I was playing SCII's DotA and I was not pleased.

Well I can't speak for SCII's DotA at all, didn't even know there was one. I wouldn't trust an SC2 DotA anyway, all the key DotA people have moved on to either LoL or HoN or other real games.

Why LoL is better than WC3 DotA, which is real DotA, is that it has better and more interesting heroes, it has more heroes, it has better creep and tower mechanics and AI, it's not constrained by being shoehorned into a different games engines, it has good networking and features, its well balanced, etc etc. It's basically DotA but, better.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher! I can't see that youtube cause I'm at work but

when I saw Daxon's post, I immediately thought "man I wish I could link him Black Dynomite." apparently we think alike.

and yes it's on netflix instant watch

Its a great movie that no one saw. Shit I throw that movie before I enter the room...

I saw it, it was great.

The Black Dynamite drinking game will get you DRUNK.

Drink everytime something awesome happens?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I would still avoid SC2 custom games for a few more months Winky. People don't know how to full utilize the map creator till at least 6 months in. LoL other than the community of mouthbreathers outside of friends is kind of a fun but brain dead game. DoTA on War3 by the time it got popular was the same. Pretty balanced, based a lot on skill and people were able to really do some cool design stuff with it.

General game play doesn't change that much.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So, Archer is pretty much the greatest show to watch while you're wasted. I literally cried from laughing at it and I'm not entirely sure why.

Alternately: don't do a Ph D.

You probably won't get to nail the other hot Ph. D candidate in your group, because you're not nearly as awesome as I am and thus it will just be soul destroying and let's face it, the crazy chick is just crazy.

High five "sleeping with the hot girl in your group" buddy. I just wish the rest of the PhD was as successful.

Wait, really?

Up. Top. You and me are totally getting trashed together as soon as I con my supervisor into sending me to England because apparently international travel is something university's love.

Also: Timothy McLeary Checkout this Theory: firstly your name is hard to type. Secondly: You're like the fifth person to recommend cough syrup over absinthe. If there was ever a ringing internet endorsement...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Ultimately, whether or not a state is a disease-state is largely socially determined; when we say "X is a disease" what we're really saying is "people shouldn't have X, and medical professionals are the best people to get rid of X or reduce X's effects." The first part of that is a normative judgment, the second part of that is a pragmatic one.

Nobody's been able to come up with a culture-independent definition of "disease."

Well, at least for mental disorders

Even physical diseases require a value judgment. It's just that when it comes to them it's much easier to find a uniform, cross-cultural consensus on "I don't want my dick to explode into bloody shreds."

Yep, Winky got it exactly.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ultimately, whether or not a state is a disease-state is largely socially determined; when we say "X is a disease" what we're really saying is "people shouldn't have X, and medical professionals are the best people to get rid of X or reduce X's effects." The first part of that is a normative judgment, the second part of that is a pragmatic one.

Nobody's been able to come up with a culture-independent definition of "disease."

Well, at least for mental disorders

Even physical diseases require a value judgment. It's just that when it comes to them it's much easier to find a uniform, cross-cultural consensus on "I don't want my dick to explode into bloody shreds."

Yep, Winky got it exactly.

I stand corrected

Arch on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Will, I smell the Internet. I sniff your posts, they are like succulent hams to my nostrils. The Internet is as real to me as what you call the "real world". Your intolerance stinks of sulfur, the eggs rotting next to the festering ham that once shone with grease. I must throw it in the garbage for the hobos must feast this evening.

this is a pretty good post

i greet it with tolerance and basic courtesy

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

when I saw Daxon's post, I immediately thought "man I wish I could link him Black Dynomite." apparently we think alike.

Its a great movie that no one saw. Shit I throw that movie before I enter the room...

I saw it, it was great.

The Black Dynamite drinking game will get you DRUNK.

Drink everytime something awesome happens?

Let's put it this way. Two drinks every time he high kicks.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like that people are discovering the awesomeness of Archer. It was an entirely unexpected surprise when I saw it last year. It reminded me of Sealab 2021 back when it was good, only a thousand times tighter and consistently better.

Anyone know when the new season starts?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Will, I smell the Internet. I sniff your posts, they are like succulent hams to my nostrils. The Internet is as real to me as what you call the "real world". Your intolerance stinks of sulfur, the eggs rotting next to the festering ham that once shone with grease. I must throw it in the garbage for the hobos must feast this evening.

this is a pretty good post

i greet it with tolerance and basic courtesy

The hobos will starve this night as I sit to feast.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Well I can't speak for SCII's DotA at all, didn't even know there was one. I wouldn't trust an SC2 DotA anyway, all the key DotA people have moved on to either LoL or HoN or other real games.

Why LoL is better than WC3 DotA, which is real DotA, is that it has better and more interesting heroes, it has more heroes, it has better creep and tower mechanics and AI, it's not constrained by being shoehorned into a different games engines, it has good networking and features, its well balanced, etc etc. It's basically DotA but, better.

Is it free?

If it is they I will download it.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LoL is a fun way to fill bars. You fill bars during the game, which ultimately fills your over all bars.

So many bars!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bad news Inqi, seems my install was corrupted and I have to wipe and reinstall.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Winky how do you know so much about bloody dick shreds.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hmm, it was a year since I played LoL but when I did nothing of this was true. But I guess it might have changed a lot in a year.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Let's put it this way. Two drinks every time he high kicks.

You should just drink everytime theres a movie mistake, you'd still be plenty wasted.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LoL doesn't have an OS X client yet so fuck that.

I need a good game to play on my Mac that won't tax the lame video card.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will, I went to this old-fashioned 1920's speakeasy the other day for happy hour. The drinks were delicious. I had a Tom Collins, a mojito, a Moscow Mule (which I loved) and a margarita. They were all fresh and used delicious light ingredients. Nothing syrupy to be found.

At the end, I was feeling a little bold and ordered a Pisco Sour. My friends were grossed out by the egg white, but I figured why not. In the end I really didn't enjoy it. Did I drink a bad one out of all those good drinks, or is Pisco really kind of gross?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is Will around, I have a question about the alcohol.

i'm here

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I saw it, it was great.

I still laugh about the fake ad the movie opens up with.

My favorite is the incredibly convoluted explanation of the conspiracy at the end.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky how do you know so much about bloody dick shreds.

Dickwolves.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Pony, that is a problem. But I don't think that's most of most safespaces. Of course, that the only safe spaces I've visited tended to be pretty good is a possibility, but so far I haven't seen too many that had more of what you describe than what they were designed for.

In other words, I don't see a lot of people complaining about someone triggering them by saving them, but do see a lot of people being able to discuss assaults without being asked "Well, why'd you let him drive you home?"

And people really do need a space to talk without questions like that.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also if we get a group together of chat folks I will be happy to play all the time.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like that people are discovering the awesomeness of Archer. It was an entirely unexpected surprise when I saw it last year. It reminded me of Sealab 2021 back when it was good, only a thousand times tighter and consistently better.

I am surprised they take a month to animate each episode, and it apparently goes through 3 studios. I mean, it seems like they were trying to make it as convoluted as possible to produce. We live in an age where South Park is produced in god damned Maya.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will, I went to this old-fashioned 1920's speakeasy the other day for happy hour. The drinks were delicious. I had a Tom Collins, a mojito, a Moscow Mule (which I loved) and a margarita. They were all fresh and used delicious light ingredients. Nothing syrupy to be found.

ugh this is why i can't order fancy drinks here in charleston

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is it free?

If it is they I will download it.

It is free. Basically, the game has a buncha champions, but every week like 8 or so of them are free to play. The other characters aren't available unless you have purchased them. You can purchase them with riot points that you buy with money, or with influence points that you earn from playing the game. Buying a hero will mean that it is always available to you.

There's also other stuff you can buy with points, but most of it won't matter till down the road. I think the only thing you can buy with only money are alternate costumes for your heroes, but, those are purely cosmetic.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I guess I will have to download this overnight because it's being retarded and only downloading at 8 KB/s for some reason.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Moscow mules are pretty tasty.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also if we get a group together of chat folks I will be happy to play all the time.

Cass some of her friends play, I've got a decent contingent of IRL friends that play, and then there a buncha G&Ters (like Zen!). But, I probably wouldn't hang with the G&Ters till you get a good grasp on the game. I haven't played with them but they seem pretty srs bizness.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I am surprised they take a month to animate each episode, and it apparently goes through 3 studios. I mean, it seems like they were trying to make it as convoluted as possible to produce. We live in an age where South Park is produced in god damned Maya.

Archer looks like it's produced in Maya too for that matter. Hell, Metalocalypse is produced in Maya and it looks fine.

I'd love to learn how to animate in Maya

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Moscow Mules sound like something I would like

Also Whiskey Collins

damnit I just need to start allocating money for liquor and ingredients

Arch on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've personally encountered the difficulties faced with identifying behaviors as psychological pathologies

I was diagnosed with ASPD, which not only was a diagnosis of behavior but led to a classification of me as a person. It led to legal repercussions (I couldn't get a driver's license for years because of it) and it led to me allowing that diagnosis to define me as a person and I used it as a crutch to excuse some of my worst behaviors. It facilitated me burying emotional responses and reactions that would be contrary to the diagnosis and overlooking facts that would cause it to be questionable.

Years later it was identified as incorrect and overturned. Had a pretty profound impact on my life, that.

Currently I have a diagnosis of "Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified)". This essentially says that my psychiatrist believes my personality is aberrant from the norm to the extent that he considers it a pathological disorder to be treated medically, but in a way that currently (as of the DSM IV) is not accurately classifiable in any one category.

Which is pretty shitty, really.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LoL doesn't have an OS X client yet so fuck that.

I need a good game to play on my Mac that won't tax the lame video card.

Can't Macs run windows these days?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

ugh this is why i can't order fancy drinks here in charleston

Yeah, you'd be shocked to find how much more refreshing a margarita is when it's not like 95% HFCS.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm gonna get lunch.

If we have anything in the house...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well I guess I will have to download this overnight because it's being retarded and only downloading at 8 KB/s for some reason.

Hm, might be issues with your uploading as I think it is a torrent style download? Dunno, that sucks though.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.