As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking to get caught up with Walking Dead? DeepDiscount is having a buy one get one free sale on the trades and hardcovers.

I've ordered other stuff through them before and they're a good place to get stuff. It's a sweet deal.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got up after a LOOOONG hiatus from 49.

Just got caught up last night.
    Damnit Kirkman. Damn you. The way death comes to people in this book is as fickle as the wind.

delphinus on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Let's resurrect this mofo, in time for the TV show.

So I was pretty bummed out with the book around vol. 5 and 6, as I just didn't care for what was going on. Kind of stationary for too long.

I picked up the other volumes over the past few weeks, and the book really picked up around book 9 and 10. Abraham was a character the book desperately needed.

And I'm really digging the idea of
    there being a sanctuary (even if it's two streets) amongst all the chaos; this is what I expected to see earlier in the book, like when they lived in gated community for an issue or two, because it's the kind of thing that I would have tried to make in this situation with people.

I also like the idea that they just can't get past

That attempted rape of Carl was excessive, and Ben killing his brother (then being killed by Carl), but I really liked everything else. Especially the idea that you just can't trust the new neighborhood, both the group and the reader, as you expect something to happen like with the Governor, and that truly good people are hard to find out there.

Has the book been on schedule still? I know a few months ago it was on schedule for the first time in a long time, and I guess needing an editor to keep the book on time is also what's making Kirkman not just hover around plots.

TexiKen on
  • CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The book's on schedule, more or less. It's good about coming out on time.
    I like the sanctuary, too, but I think I knew that going in things wouldn't go as planned. Nothing ever goes as planned for this group. That's one criticism I have of the series (and I really don't have many). I'm all for intense, realistic scenarios where shit goes bad, but why does it seem like there's NOTHING to look forward to with these people?

I feel bad for Rick, but I want Kirkman to address this crazy phantom-Lori thing more.

I'm gonna be so fucking angry if Tyreese and Michonne aren't in season two of the show.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    michonne is the worst character.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • KatozillaKatozilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't much care for Michonne either, she's just plain unbelievable to me. I mean, most of the characters, and the events in general, are generally reasonable/rational (excusing the whole zombie takover thing of course!). There were/are plenty of people capable of knocking zombies off. What TWD did not need was a Jedi warrior.

That said, I generally like the series. It's good, though honestly I don't get the "best indy comic ever!" rave that seems to go round and round.

Katozilla on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought
    the flashback during a recent issue (seen while Michonne hangs up her sword on the mantle
    really fleshed out her character / made her a bit more believable.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the lack of any respite and happy moments has dulled the story for me. The current arc looks to be addressing that, but when they were:
    In the prision, I really expected a bit more happiness

I have the feeling the 14 year old me would have loved it being so bleak and "mature". But now it comes across as childish.

Lave II on
    edited September 2010
    That's exactly when I started losing interest in the book.

Give them a reason to keep fighting and surviving.

TexiKen on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just read up to issue 12, and I have to say as excited as I am for the show, the book isn't doing much for me. I love zombie stories ,but I don't like the change in art style and I don't really enjoy the story much. I understand subtlety and that not everything has to be action, but I find the story arcs to be pretty mundane, generic and predictable. Am I totally off base?

stevemarks44 on
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That's exactly when I started losing interest in the book.

Give them a reason to keep fighting and surviving.

I started losing interest around the Hunter's arc, which felt largely superfluous to the story and overly generic in a Zombie story.

I was really hoping
    We'd see at least one or two arcs of our people living in the new community before everything went to hell, but apparently that isn't what we'll be seeing.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I think the series is suffering from 'too bleak too depressing'. Like, at this point, Rick should just off himself and his kid cause there really isn't any reason to hang around. They're just going to get fucked one way or another.

It reminds me of the fallout associated with TV shows like Rescue Me or Boston Legal when you're like "okay, just how bad can one guy's life get".

A little ridiculous.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah they should totally make the apocalypse less bad for everyone

Dorktron9000 on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the series is suffering from 'too bleak too depressing'. Like, at this point, Rick should just off himself and his kid cause there really isn't any reason to hang around. They're just going to get fucked one way or another.

It reminds me of the fallout associated with TV shows like Rescue Me or Boston Legal when you're like "okay, just how bad can one guy's life get".

A little ridiculous.

Yeah, they have to have glimpses of hope, to make the bleak all that much more believable, like "The Road". Man was that depressing.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited September 2010
    For anyone not paying attention to the teasers for Walking Dead's next big thing...

Covers #80-83
    1284567029.jpg
    1284567031.jpg
    1284566680.jpg
    1285172863.jpg

My two cents:
    I don't understand why they're bringing the walls down so quickly. We've already seen the results of a violent downfall for our character's hard-won status quo, but that was after 36 issues of build up. There has been, literally, an arc and a half of living in this community, and most of the new characters are still just faces with dialog. Douglas is, perhaps, the most built-up, but only has "The leader who Rick's working for now." Whatever happened to Eric and Aaron?

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    For anyone not paying attention to the teasers for Walking Dead's next big thing...

Covers #80-83
    1284567029.jpg
    1284567031.jpg
    1284566680.jpg
    1285172863.jpg

My two cents:
    I don't understand why they're bringing the walls down so quickly. We've already seen the results of a violent downfall for our character's hard-won status quo, but that was after 36 issues of build up. There has been, literally, an arc and a half of living in this community, and most of the new characters are still just faces with dialog. Douglas is, perhaps, the most built-up, but only has "The leader who Rick's working for now." Whatever happened to Eric and Aaron?
    I think it's probably in response to complaints that the story stagnated too much the last time they settled down in a seemingly impenetrable save haven. I think that now, though, they're falling on the opposite extreme, where they're trying to move on way too quickly.

BloodySloth on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's pretty strange if they're moving on so soon. It does feel like Kirkman's skipping some good opportunities, there.

PolloDiablo on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Expected this to last quite a long while myself, lots of good stuff can happen here with someone besides Rick being in charge and them having to deal with everyone and attempting to live normally for a bit even with the ever present zombie threat. I can only guess that the ex leader of the community that supposedly died did not die and is alive and has another group of people and they'll come along and bomb one of the walls while herding the undead into the community. Depends on if that ex leader of the community was really as much as dick as was said or the other guy was BSing and got on a power trip himself, I could see him blowing a wall and letting them all in if he thought he would lose his position.

Cade on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm doubting the wall will come down because of some sort of betrayal or other form of human intervention. They've made a point to discuss that there are growing herds of zombies gathering around the community. I think the zombies are just going to bust in.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2010
    #77 was a delicious issue.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited September 2010
    I'm doubting the wall will come down because of some sort of betrayal or other form of human intervention. They've made a point to discuss that there are growing herds of zombies gathering around the community. I think the zombies are just going to bust in.

See, what I don't understand (I'm only trade waiting so maybe this was addressed with issues after vol. 12), is why they (and this includes Rick at the prison) just let the zombies pile up at the gates of places. For instance, at the front entrance, create a two fence system where you let in a few zombies just to kill them Michonne-style, and thin out the herd. I can't completely remember if they did this a lot at the prison, as it was more people going out to draw attention to the other side of the parking lot while the scavenger team would leave the prisonyard.

And has the Congressmen or anyone really talked about what actually happened while Rick was in the hospital? He should have some idea of contingencies beyond the houses they are living in right now. Are there people ok around the world? Is it possible to use the internet to communicate with people? What about nuclear reactors? How about following up Eugene's studying of how the zombies seem to lack energy to fight like that one who didn't have the strength to bite anyone?

There's so much to explore right now with the downtime of being relatively safe, and that is what was lacking in the prison arcs that bogged the comic down. Downtime can work to deliver more parts of the story that should be established 75 issues into the story.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010

See, what I don't understand (I'm only trade waiting so maybe this was addressed with issues after vol. 12), is why they (and this includes Rick at the prison) just let the zombies pile up at the gates of places. For instance, at the front entrance, create a two fence system where you let in a few zombies just to kill them Michonne-style, and thin out the herd. I can't completely remember if they did this a lot at the prison, as it was more people going out to draw attention to the other side of the parking lot while the scavenger team would leave the prisonyard.

And has the Congressmen or anyone really talked about what actually happened while Rick was in the hospital? He should have some idea of contingencies beyond the houses they are living in right now. Are there people ok around the world? Is it possible to use the internet to communicate with people? What about nuclear reactors? How about following up Eugene's studying of how the zombies seem to lack energy to fight like that one who didn't have the strength to bite anyone?

There's so much to explore right now with the downtime of being relatively safe, and that is what was lacking in the prison arcs that bogged the comic down. Downtime can work to deliver more parts of the story that should be established 75 issues into the story.
    i remember glenn and someone else knifin zombies in the head through the fences to thin them out, at the prison.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited September 2010

Yeah, you must not have read up to the point but most of what you're bringing up here has been addressed. A lot of it had to do with the previous head of the community. With regards to thinning the zombies out they are doing what they can but they keep arriving in herds and as such the people aren't really being effective.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, you must not have read up to the point but most of what you're bringing up here has been addressed. A lot of it had to do with the previous head of the community. With regards to thinning the zombies out they are doing what they can but they keep arriving in herds and as such the people aren't really being effective.

Its not really a question of being effective. Its more like a minimum wage job for a guy standing on a step ladder behind the wall holding something heavy. Just stand there smashing zombies scrabbling ineffectually at the wall in the head with a block of cement on a rope

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Robos A Go Go on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's pretty cool. I wish they'd use that as the real opening.

PolloDiablo on
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Amazing work and really should be the official intro to the show, too many shows make use of long winded intros in my opinion.

Now the choice is do they go for an opening tidbit to get you interested and then flash the intro, or do they pop that and go right along into the delicious show.... choices, choices.

Comic Spoiler
    They keep having flashes of zombies being attracted to the community by way of noises, but my problem is that they are ripping around on motor vehicles all the time on their hunt for supplies.

So why are the zombies only being riled up now because of gunshots?

My prediction is that the violent gang of humans outside the wire are going to show up, start shit and leave or create a gap in the wall to let the zombies. Really tho, how many times is Kirkman going to make them search for another safe haven?

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
    edited September 2010
    XOCentric wrote: »

Amazing work and really should be the official intro to the show, too many shows make use of long winded intros in my opinion.

Now the choice is do they go for an opening tidbit to get you interested and then flash the intro, or do they pop that and go right along into the delicious show.... choices, choices.

Comic Spoiler
    They keep having flashes of zombies being attracted to the community by way of noises, but my problem is that they are ripping around on motor vehicles all the time on their hunt for supplies.

So why are the zombies only being riled up now because of gunshots?

My prediction is that the violent gang of humans outside the wire are going to show up, start shit and leave or create a gap in the wall to let the zombies. Really tho, how many times is Kirkman going to make them search for another safe haven?
    Isn't that pretty much the only thing you can do as a survivor in a world overrun by zombies?

I mean, apart from dying or pursuing some MacGuffin which might save the day.

Robos A Go Go on
  • All Hail StarscreamAll Hail Starscream Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As far as killing zombies at the wall goes, I imagine there's far too many zombies to be able to remove the bodies effectively. I don't know what kinda health issues a dead body would have versus an undead body but that can't be good. Also since you can't really dispose of the bodies that gives something for other zombies to stand on, thus reaching that much higher. You might create a natural slope of dead bodies for zombies to climb over given enough time.
    You could dump some gas and light a match but then you'd be wasting gas. That's what I think anyways.

All Hail Starscream on
    edited September 2010
    1285777590.jpg

Cade on
    edited September 2010
    Kirkman's got a planned ending, right? Did he say what issue it's likely to end at?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2010
    Kirkman's got a planned ending, right? Did he say what issue it's likely to end at?

No. The exact opposite actually. Kirkman has made it explicitly clear that, provided sales stay up, he will write the book until he dies.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    He said that he wants to show how the crisis effects his main character and i think he's done that.
    He could just as easily kill everyone and continue on with another character.
    Just picture it: "The Wily Adventures of Michonne and Rick's Telephone."

delphinus on
    edited October 2010
    It's sort of been my expectation since..
    The "No One is Safe" arc a few years back that he'd eventually kill off Rick and then flashforward slightly to an older, even more fucked up Carl. Examining the Zombie world from the perspective of someone who hardly remembers what being 'civilized' was would provide the series with some fresh perspective.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited October 2010
    He's said that he doesn't really want to do any flash forwards or flashbacks. Granted that could change. I think he also mentioned that he'd consider doing a one shot wherein we see what's happening somewhere else in the world.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2010
    He's said that he doesn't really want to do any flash forwards or flashbacks. Granted that could change. I think he also mentioned that he'd consider doing a one shot wherein we see what's happening somewhere else in the world.

He did - however, we've been seeing several instances of massive time shifts in the past two arcs. So it seems as though this has sort of gone out the window.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited October 2010
    Can_Calyx wrote: »

He did - however, we've been seeing several instances of massive time shifts in the past two arcs. So it seems as though this has sort of gone out the window.

When has there been a time shift? I don't even really recall one.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2010
    I don't remember any time shifts either, we've pretty much seen things happening as they happen with no jumps unless missed something.

Cade on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A few weeks pasted between #66 & #67, as per Rick Grimes.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited October 2010
    And it seemed to me earlier that there was a slight shift early in the current arc, between
    Abraham asserting his authority and the Wall being ready
    , but upon rereading I'm not sure that's right.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.