As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dear [Chat]y

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Damn it, I have Castle and Chuck to watch tonight. Civ5 unlocks in a few hours and I have an M&M game tonight. Doh! Damn you Tuesdays! Damn you to hell!

Do we?

I mean, I would like to know if that is confirmed

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That's weird. They're filming Captain American in Manchester.

Part of the movie takes place in WW2 (or the whole thing I forget?) so its not like he could be fighting nazis in the good ole us of a.
    Well if there's one thing I look for in a superhero movie it's precise historic accuracy.

Bama on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I popped in after a game last night and saw a post from Tube telling us to get our act together but I completely had no context or frame of reference.

What happened?

Wait, you mean the sticky he put up, or a fresh post?

A fresh post in the thread.

Inquisitor on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Galahad wrote: »
    How about a game where you travel through time and take photographs of famous historical events while searching for a mysterious woman in a red coat?

I was thinking more the shtick gets disrupted when you drop your camera in the past and this screws up the present, but this may be a bit too Singularitish.
    Wheeeeeeere iiiiiiis Caaaarmen Sandiego, Carmen Sandiego?

I hate that kind of time travel

how about you find out that what you did in the past is what cause the present to be the way it is?

without "changing" magically because that's dumb

Oh, the "Doctor blew up Pompeii" approach? That could work.

RMS Oceanic on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I was presented with a problem.

There are infinite potential hypotheses. If you falsify a set of these hypotheses, any arbitrarily large set, you still are left with infinite potential hypotheses. So how can you be getting any closer to the truth by doing so?

I'm thinking the answer has to do with bounding the set of hypotheses.

You can use the previous data to predict the falsifiability of the other hypotheses

Wait crap Tim already said this

Arch on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    EDIT

Meh.

Sheep on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    work is slow!!!

Dunadan019 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I popped in after a game last night and saw a post from Tube telling us to get our act together but I completely had no context or frame of reference.

What happened?

Usual teenage drama, someone asked someone else to prom, but there was a better person like right there and they just never noticed them totally wanting to be asked.

Oh goddammit really? I thought everything was fine and we could lose the impending threat of closure hanging over our heads, like coconuts in a tree.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Part of the movie takes place in WW2 (or the whole thing I forget?) so its not like he could be fighting nazis in the good ole us of a.

What seriously, I thought Marvel has a whole "sliding timescale" thing, so he'd be fighting in, like, Iraq or something.

Unless he's like 60 in the avengers movie, or frozen and has to adapt to the 2000s like a super-serious austin powers.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

There are infinite potential hypotheses. If you falsify a set of these hypotheses, any arbitrarily large set, you still are left with infinite potential hypotheses. So how can you be getting any closer to the truth by doing so?

Are you looking for a practical answer like "In the process of eliminating false hypotheses we also gain information with which to start predicting the likelihood of remaining hypothesis to be true"?

I'm looking for it in more abstract terms. Note that I don't actually know if there's an answer here. This was a problem my philosophy of science teacher posed to me, I'm don't know of anyone who has written on this specific subject.

But I am somewhat interested in this concept of cumulative data shaping future hypotheses, because that does put a hard limit on which hypotheses can be posed. Like I said, bounding, there's still an infinite number of potential hypotheses, but only within parameters.

Winky on
    edited September 2010

What happened?

Usual teenage drama, someone asked someone else to prom, but there was a better person like right there and they just never noticed them totally wanting to be asked.

Ugh, Prom. I didn't go to mine so I could save the pride of a girl.

... wha?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Yea, I don't think scientific discovery is just going to make a completely ridiculous left turn like "whoops. nope; unicorns working marionettes all along. We were way off!"

Bama on
    edited September 2010
    Can I preload the Civ 5 demo or will I simply need to download that tomorrow?

Sheep on
    edited September 2010

What happened?

Oh goddammit really? I thought everything was fine and we could lose the impending threat of closure hanging over our heads, like coconuts in a tree.

Found ze post:
    Everyone better pull their shit together quick sharp

Though I still don't know the context, I guess I could do some sleuthing?

Inquisitor on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What happened?

I went. Got slapped not long after.
    Elldren wrote: »

Do we?

I mean, I would like to know if that is confirmed

I haven't gotten a message from Jacob saying it's canceled. And god knows I love foolish hopes.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010

What seriously, I thought Marvel has a whole "sliding timescale" thing, so he'd be fighting in, like, Iraq or something.

Unless he's like 60 in the avengers movie, or frozen and has to adapt to the 2000s like a super-serious austin powers.
    I'm pretty sure him getting frozen on the way back from WWII is canon, or at least has happened before.

Bama on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am so proud of my philosophy of science paper too, I totally ripped Kuhn a new one.
    I am aware of the hubris here.

Winky on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How about a game where you travel through time and take photographs of famous historical events while searching for a mysterious woman in a red coat?

I was thinking more the shtick gets disrupted when you drop your camera in the past and this screws up the present, but this may be a bit too Singularitish.

how about you find out that what you did in the past is what cause the present to be the way it is?

yeah because any other way makes no sense

because let's say you enter the time machine in 2020 and exit in 1920

if you do something in 1920, when does the present (2020) change?

it changes in 1920, right?

well, in 2020, the change happened a hundred years ago. You already saw the changes.

Because time travel is simply arriving before you left.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    sheep likes his &cs

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010

What happened?

... wha?

A girl asked me to go to Prom who I really didn't want to go with. She just wasn't my type, she was a nice girl, just not in that way. So, I made up a quick and easy lie, something that I didn't have the money and I was going out of town that weekend with my folks or something. You know, let her down easy.

And then her rather cute best friend who I liked asked me to go to prom with her. I could only imagine what it would feel like if I showed up to prom with her best friend after telling her I couldn't make it. So, I stuck to my lie and spent prom at home playing videogames.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

Are you looking for a practical answer like "In the process of eliminating false hypotheses we also gain information with which to start predicting the likelihood of remaining hypothesis to be true"?

I'm looking for it in more abstract terms. Note that I don't actually know if there's an answer here. This was a problem my philosophy of science teacher posed to me, I'm don't know of anyone who has written on this specific subject.

But I am somewhat interested in this concept of cumulative data shaping future hypotheses, because that does put a hard limit on which hypotheses can be posed. Like I said, bounding, there's still an infinite number of potential hypotheses, but only within parameters.

I think that is the point, and given this is a philosphy of science class, most likely what he is trying to get you to think about.

I.E. that the scientific method's strength is not only in its ability to test hypotheses, but also in its ability to make accurate predictions about future, untested, hypotheses

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    make the game about a time traveller trying to change history for the better but ends up being the cause of everything horrible that has ever happened

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010

What happened?

... wha?

A girl asked me to go to Prom who I really didn't want to go with. She just wasn't my type, she was a nice girl, just not in that way. So, I made up a quick and easy lie, something that I didn't have the money and I was going out of town that weekend with my folks or something. You know, let her down easy.

And then her rather cute best friend who I liked asked me to go to prom with her. I could only imagine what it would feel like if I showed up to prom with her best friend after telling her I couldn't make it. So, I stuck to my lie and spent prom at home playing videogames.

:(

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    I am so proud of my philosophy of science paper too, I totally ripped Kuhn a new one.
    I am aware of the hubris here.

Well Kuhn is kind of wrong on the nature of scientific advancement, and he draws his ideas from a few key events he considers to be "significant revolutions", which I think totally misses the point of science and is a large-scale abstraction of the actual situation*.

Much like all philosophy oh ho!

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    sheep likes his &cs

No idea.

What happened?

Heck no.

This place was down right acidic earlier in the weekend.

Sheep on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What happened?

Found ze post:

If you figure it out, lemmie know.
    Cos I'm as confused as fuck right now.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I like how trolling to some people means "Does not agree with me." Throwing in calling someone autistic, thats a nice touch.

Who should I add to my Book of Grudges?

Echo on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Found ze post:

Well, the post before is Thom talking about cute puppies... so problem solved, I think.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010
    HerrCron wrote: »

The best I can tell is that Res and DSC got into a really silly insult flinging match, and looks like they both got slapped with infractions for it.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    the last "prom" (or christmas ball, our equivalent) I went to was in the first year of high school

it was basically just a vorspiel then

subsequent years we all dropped it and went out drinking instead

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010

well, in 2020, the change happened a hundred years ago. You already saw the changes.

(spoilered for complicated philosophy of time travel)
    0006c2t3

Bama on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I like the idea that changing stuff in the past shunts YOU in to an alternate timeline where the changes you enacted took place. Your original 2020 is the same, and everyone there just thinks you disappeared mysteriously.

Galahad on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There's a bit of bickering a few pages before, Res got infracted. It all seems quite minor though, the other chatters start thrashing about and screaming though. I only skimmed through it though. I really think I must've missed something.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2010
    Quizzy: Res and DeShadowC were having a spat

metamodding was involved

the great hedgehog in the sky was invoked

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    I am with galahad on this one

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    And I also think that the ability to travel from one timeline to another is movement in the fifth dimension, but I use "think" very pointedly here, and am open to the possibility I may be wrong.

Arch on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the great hedgehog in the sky was invoked

skippy?

Dunadan019 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010

Option 2.

Yes, it was super serious and a whole lot of "damn kids".

Echo on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'd also like to see how 'infinite potential hypotheses' works, unless you're doing something silly like counting duplicates or allowing for an infinite amount of information in a system.

There might be a seemingly infinite amount of hay in a stack, but combing through it still gets us closer to the needle.

TL DR on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There's a bit of bickering a few pages before, Res got infracted. It all seems quite minor though, the other chatters start thrashing about and screaming though. I only skimmed through it though. I really think I must've missed something.

Yeah, i seem forever destined to pop in just after everything has happened going "huh? why is everyone on edge. And someone should close that barn door, a horse might bolt..."

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.