As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

• MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    why would they uproot it again?

Because they know it's what the core audience wants. I hope my theory about having the franchise on PSP for the sake of growing its (fanatically loyal) audience before moving back to an HD console ends up being accurate.

As much as I want to see another VC game on the PS3 or at least a hd capable machine. I think sega has made it very clear with VC Yakuza and Sonic that the only audiences' they care about are the japanese and the furry. NA and EU sales are bonus not the goal for them, think it started around the time of the saturn and only got worse when the DC went under.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eh, I'm still in the camp of thought that, come VC4, it'll be
    Prequel time. I mean, we're already in "Same time as the first game" so we're just working backwards. There's enough foundation down that I would be surprised as hell if it (The First War) never got explored further. And there's plenty there to make it's own game.

And when that comes, I figure if anything has a shot of being PS3, it's that.

Am I just shifting my VC3 theory to VC4? Why yes. Yes I am. Will I shift it to VC5 if VC4 turns out to be on the PSP and some other time period? Why yes. Yes I will.

(Mostly because I have both and enjoy both so I don't even care.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, by VC4 we'll probably we talking about the 3DS and a potential PSP2 and not the PSP anymore.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, probably.

I'm probably alone in this, but if the series has to stay on handhelds (and has to stay exclusive for whatever reason) it goes with the PSP2 (depending on if it's not awful) instead of the 3DS. If just because I honestly don't like my DS and, well, it's practically the same design.

On a more positive note, though, yay, I'm VC2'd. I haven't played it yet since the game has been bought for me but is teasingly placed somewhere with Christmas things, so I just picked someone. Kinda like I did first time around with VC. Yay.

Darth_Mogs on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm enjoying VC being on the PSP because I actually get to play it. I mean, my PS3 is sitting there, but i rarely get to play it anymore. My PSP gets most of my playtime now, on the train/bus.

That said, I still plan on going back and playing VC 1 through, and I'd absolutely dig another HD release.

Rent, though, man, they're still using the CANVAS engine as far as I've been able to find out. It's just been modified to run on lower spec hardware.

-Loki- on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm not really digging the armored techs. It just feels like they neutered the Engineer class to me so there would still be the same amount of classes. I feel like by doing so they have created two less effective classes by doing so, with the armored tech having really small range and the Engineers being not very useful in a fight.

never die on
    edited September 2010
    Upgrade them and come back to us on that.

Pureauthor on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Engineers only lose out because they don't get grenades. Shooting, they do about as well as scouts. But then you get anthem corp... How about 3 orders sir? For one CP.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Actually, they shoot better than scouts. They can get guns with 8 shots, and each individual shot is strong than the equivalent Scout Rifle's.

Pureauthor on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My Kingdom for ONE GODDAMN SUPPORT X FOR ANY OF MY SCOUTS.

Still not a single sniper. I grind support missions, get thousands of support, no Support X.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just going to leave this here.
    1284985261573.jpg

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know that the Armored Techs and Shocktroopers get a lot of love around here, but lately I've been deploying Lancers a ton and I can't get enough of them. Particularly Coleen and Renier. <3 I just did the May mission where you're supposed to defend against a mortarer squad, and I dropped Coleen off on the second map, paired up with an engineer to reload; the two of them shredded through APCs and mortarers nonstop. Lancers' accuracy is pretty awesome around L12 or so.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited September 2010
    Wait, Lancers taking out Mortarers? How? Mortarers have innate defense against explosive weaponry and are nigh-immune to it.

Pureauthor on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Wait, Lancers taking out Mortarers? How? Mortarers have innate defense against explosive weaponry and are nigh-immune to it.

Sorry, I meant the Engineer capped a few along the way, and the Lancer took out everything else. There were two Mortarers left, but once I had grabbed the base I brought Chloe out to finish the job.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    On a more positive note, though, yay, I'm VC2'd. I haven't played it yet since the game has been bought for me but is teasingly placed somewhere with Christmas things, so I just picked someone. Kinda like I did first time around with VC. Yay.

you picked one of the biggest douches in the game, no lie
    never die wrote: »
    So I'm not really digging the armored techs. It just feels like they neutered the Engineer class to me so there would still be the same amount of classes. I feel like by doing so they have created two less effective classes by doing so, with the armored tech having really small range and the Engineers being not very useful in a fight.

Ahahahaha no

Engies are horrid and Armoured Techs are awesome

also Armoured Techs have a pretty long range?

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Ahahahaha no

Engies are horrid and Armoured Techs are awesome

also Armoured Techs have a pretty long range?

350 AP, which is decent, I guess.

Also, use Anthem Elites and Medics.

Pureauthor on
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    it is a dumb fucking conversation when we are talking about a game that is going to star criminals and deserters

Yeah, but you just know they're going to redeem themselves by the end of the game, and be celebrated as heroes.

And then Kurt will end up with Imuka or Riela depending on how many affection points you've accumulated over the course of the game, naturally.

Persona Portable Chronicles? Can I has an All Out Attack involving Kurt, Valkyria Mode Riela, and Burst Mode Imuka, and the Mascot creature?

And so if I build up enough moments with either girl, during a holiday, if I have enough points, I'll get an implied Kurt/Riela or Kurt/Imuka scene? Sweet! (Would be funny too if I end up with a Kurt/Squadmate not Reila or Imuka, or Kurt/Alone.)

And of course
    by the end, you'll get a scene saying, "How's [insert name of the woman you didn't pair up with here] doing?" followed by said person, a child, running up to daddy Kurt.

...All of a sudden, I have the urge to play Star Ocean: Till the End of Time again (Director's Cut). All those possible endings...

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just going to leave this here.
    1284985261573.jpg

Zombie Issara?
    <3

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Aren't those the Resistance badguys, the Chimaera or whatever?

Pureauthor on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The last few pages have convinced me to never play a VC game

Not that it matters since I don't have a ps3 anyway

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Good. We don't want filthy degenerates befouling our precious experiences.
    It's on the PSP too, if you change your mind!

Pureauthor on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know about 2 and 3 and also have a PSP but I'd have to play 1 first because that's how I work

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All of this VC2 made me want to jump back into VC1 for a bit, and I realized what VC2 is lacking. A confirmation to end your current action. Seriously, I accidentally hit start all the time and end up wasting a CP.

Shaggy on
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »
    My Kingdom for ONE GODDAMN SUPPORT X FOR ANY OF MY SCOUTS.

Still not a single sniper. I grind support missions, get thousands of support, no Support X.
    I grind the early missions that feature Support X, and pretty much just run the character that needs the credit through the gauntlet, shooting the whole way through.

I'd like to say that to get the X specials; the character in question needs only to have killed a lot, but my testing has shown that it can be a variety of instances; everything from having a teammate support kill an enemy (with the character in question), to having run one map, shooting everything on it while on the way to the enemy camp and capturing it.

X credits also seem to require having spent more than 5 CP on that character for a mission (those that seem to have sat around or just used once to shoot up a random nearby grunt usually only got 1 or 2 regular credits instead of the X versions). Again, I'm not 100% sure about this (not even 60% sure).

Engies and ATs have some alternatives; in addition to shooting and capturing, they could heal allies (Engies) or disarm all the mines on one map (ATs), and get credit for that (whether it was CP use or actually considered a bit of a bonus in regards to mine clearing, I don't know). Everyone seems to get credit for saving a fallen ally (AFAIK; even the ones that never fired a shot but ran the gauntlet to the fallen ally).

It's harder farming for the II X credits, since it practically requires the character in question to have done something outstanding; from taking out a named enemy/boss to having killed about 20+ enemies in addition to practically soloing the mission. And if you're character isn't a Shock or an AT, that's a pretty tall order, on the middle to late-game missions. On the bright side; X Credits drop more often in those same middle and late game missions.

Also, killing 2 enemies at once seem to net a bonus compared to just killing the usual 1 (there's also a name unlock for having slayed 2 or more people at the same time). Easier for Commandos (Flamers), Gunners, and the entire AT lineage. Scouts can get lucky with a well-placed grenade, but Engineers have to get lucky with a headshot to a survivor (someone who somehow got lucky and didn't die from a previous attack), then hitting the next nearest enemy in the head right after the 1st enemy falls (good luck with that).

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

you picked one of the biggest douches in the game, no lie

Welp. I might stealth change it later. Y'know....like I also did first time around.
    PureAuthor wrote:
    Aren't those the Resistance badguys, the Chimaera or whatever?

Yeah, the one in the foreground to the right certainly has the head of a Chimera, probably a Hybrid. (The ones you'll spend about 65% of the game shooting)

Darth_Mogs on
  • ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thought I would post a quick certificate farming method I came across at Gamefaqs (yes, sometimes good things come from there), even though it looks like most people in this thread are way into the game, and probably have all the certs they need. Spoilered for length;
    There is a March mission called "Storming the Bridge" I think (I'm at work, sans PSP atm). Something to do with bridges. If you're past March in the game, it should be at the top of the missions list. All you need is the flamethrower and construction arm for the APC to work it. What I liked about this method was the fact that you can go through the mission real fast, with just one unit (though I usually use two).

First off, deploy the APC, the unit you want the cert for (in a spot that he/she can climb into the APC from) and Avan (Avan is there for the extra turn. We won't use him, so stick him in back).

From the map, hit triangle on the cert unit and select carry (0 CP). Then roll the APC over to the base straight to the north of you. I usually roll through the grass so that any enemies hiding are fleshed out. Break the sandbags with the APC to get the scout on the right to stand, then roll back a bit and flamethrower them both (if you position it just right, you will OHKO both guys). Make sure to end the turn with the APC in the base, so she can standby later.

Then deploy the cert unit (from the map, with triangle of course) claim the base, and if you can, kill any nearby units. Make sure to leave yourself enough AP to get back to the APC, because you'll want to get back and select "Carry" on the same turn, so that you're back in it when she leaves. Then, from the overhead map, "Standby" your APC with the unit in it.

On the second map, deploy your APC and go north. Build a bridge, continue north, and flamethrower the two guys in the camp.

At this point, you can do one of two things. The Gamefaqs OP suggested just deploying your cert unit and claiming the base for a quick win. I found that method to be kind of crappy as far as cert drop rates go. But you can always do this for a quick 4 turn mission, that ends with only one unit getting drops.

However, what I like to before claiming the second camp is go back to the first map, and deploy another unit (preferably one that could also use a certificate) from the northwest camp (the first one you claimed) and kill a few more enemies to get my morale up as high as you can go. The original post claimed that units with gold and red helmets (i.e.; fancy hats and CP hats) helped with increasing the chances of certificate drops. I can't confirm if that's true, but in my experience it does seem to help.

So with my second unit, I run around killing the stragglers in the first map, targeting gold and red helmets first. Then (when I have only one turn left) it's back to the second map to claim the base and beat the mission. Still very quick.
    Now that I'm in July, I see certificates dropping more and more, but I found this method very helpful when getting certs for weaker or extremely unlucky units as only two (or one) units are eligible for drops.

Valleo on
    edited September 2010
    Heh, I did Melissas classmate mission on the bus today. Probably got a few weird looks when I started laughing.
    Zeri has a fan club?

-Loki- on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Heh, I did Melissas classmate mission on the bus today. Probably got a few weird looks when I started laughing.
    Zeri has a fan club?

It's a Japanese thing.

Well, I don't know if it's actually a Japanese thing but it's definitely a high school anime thing.

Maddoc on
    edited September 2010
    I know. It's just the disbelieving way Avan said it cracked me up.

Also, I can't get a fucking AttkX for Franca. I had her do the June desert skirmish by herself, with Melissa only killing one Mortarer. Melissa got fucking 3 AttkX's, and Franca just got normal Attks. Fuck the guy who did the credit assignment programming.

-Loki- on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One thing I do when I want someone to get some credits is take Soldier X and run them out in front of an enemy - and then just have them stand there until they're killed by interception fire. Repeat with Soldier Y and Z, then have the unit you want to gain credits run out and "rescue" them all.

Seemed to pay off a bit - but given the randomness, you never really know. I think it had an impact, though.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. I'm approaching the 10 hour mark and I'm not even out of March yet. I really need to stop being OCD about classmate memories and just play the game.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have like 24 hours, and just beat march. Have like a quarter of a million money, and nothing to spend it on

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Eh, I'm in June and I think I've hit about 20 hours. I only grind for things like credits. I've generally got enough money to buy every upgrade at the start of a new month, and other stuff during.

Though replaying some missions for credits has gotten me some absurd experience gains. My scouts and shocktroopers are level 15, the other classes level 10. Not sure if that's good for June, but without trying to get credits, scout and shocktrooper would be back at level 10.

-Loki- on
  • MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New codes today. They're just stickers again though.

Vanquish Sticker (+10 AP)
    BUNLT4EXDS74QRCR

Skies of Arcadia Logo Sticker (+5 to range and side defense)
    WVZLPTYXURS1Q8TV

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
    edited September 2010
    Only stickers today? :(

-Loki- on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ooh, Vanquish sticker. I wish there was a Resonance of Fate sticker (+10 to awesome).

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited September 2010
    I'm in this weird spot right now. I'm definitely trading my 2000 in for a 3000 on Thursday. I want to wait until I get that before I play more of VC 2, so I'm playing on a nicer screen. But I'm having a fucking blast. Maybe I could do some credit grinding in the meantime.

-Loki- on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think these have been posted yet but here's the full trailer and some gameplay vids.

From what I've seen so far I'm pretty stoked. I'll probably go ahead and get the Japanese version when it comes out rather than wait for a localization.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles.
    God damn this game is beautiful.
    Edit: A quick question. Is there any way to get rid of the negative potentials on some of my squad mates? Being allergic to pollen seems like the sort of thing that would make you a bad sniper.

Rizzi on
  • Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I just started playing Valkyria Chronicles.
    God damn this game is beautiful.
    Edit: A quick question. Is there any way to get rid of the negative potentials on some of my squad mates? Being allergic to pollen seems like the sort of thing that would make you a bad sniper.

Nope, but most aren't all that bad and can be mitigated. In your example, even if Pollen Allergy did activate during your turn, the HP drain is fairly slow, and it will only continue to happen while the unit is active. Once you return to command mode, the HP drain ceases.

Secondly, you can manipulate terrain-based potentials with a little AP usage. Just walk off the problem terrain to deactivate the potential, and then walk back on. The same goes for triggering positive potentials, and is especially easy to do with ones that take no AP to toggle, such as ones that are triggered by crouching, or by climbing a ladder.

Adam Bomb on
This discussion has been closed.