As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dear [Chat]y

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I swear, people are unable to read at this Uni.

I can't even respond to this e-mail yet as I'll end up being horribly sarcastic, or something.

Jeez.

BobCesca on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Arch, what are you doing today?

Wasting time before a meeting because the website I was supposed to update apparently doesn't need to be updated because they are hiring someone to directly manage the websites.

Thank god. Or I guess science.

I should stop saying "thank god"

no reason not to

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you have infinite data would you only have one possible hypothesis?

I don't think so, but let me give it some thought.

I want to say yes. Any untrue hypothesis would be already falsified.

edit: Arch is right

TL DR on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd talk to Elldren on MSN but she hates me

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    question: why can't logical paradoxes occur?

I mean, why can't event A cause event A to happen?

like being your own father

Because if science doesn't actually mean anything there can only be God.

uh

what the hell

also, article answered a bit of my question: event A causing event A to happen isn't a paradox

Yeah, that was meant to be a humorous throwback to the earlier conversation, but didn't really work.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The issue that troubles us, when you get down to it, is free will. We have a strong feeling that we cannot be predestined to do something we choose not to do. That becomes a difficult feeling to sustain if we have already seen ourselves doing it

I want to travel through time now just to wierd myself out.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch, what are you doing today?

Wasting time before a meeting because the website I was supposed to update apparently doesn't need to be updated because they are hiring someone to directly manage the websites.

Thank god. Or I guess science.

I should stop saying "thank god"

no reason not to

Given my stance on a few other words currently in the cultural vernacular, it feels like a hypocritical position to take if I don't also work to excise this phrase from my conversations.

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Abdy closed time loops, thus a constant repeating pattern actually ends up being impossible according to current theories. Here, if you like time travel theory, read this article. It is really interesting. Now off to my one day of work a week.

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/02-the-real-rules-for-time-travelers/?searchterm=time%20travel

this is super interesting, thanks

also, great game idea in that article
    To illustrate this point, imagine that you stumble upon a time machine in the form of a gate. When you pass through it in one direction, it takes you exactly one day into the past; if you pass through in the other direction, it takes you exactly one day into the future. You walk up to the gate, where you see an older version of yourself waiting for you. The two of you exchange pleasantries. Then you leave your other self behind as you walk through the gate into yesterday. But instead of obstinately wandering off, you wait around a day to meet up with the younger version of yourself (you have now aged into the older version you saw the day before) with whom you exchange pleasantries before going on your way. Everyone’s version of every event would be completely consistent.

We can have much more dramatic stories that are nevertheless consistent. Imagine that we have been appointed Guardian of the Gate, and our job is to keep vigilant watch over who passes through. One day, as we are standing off to the side, we see a person walk out of the rear side of the gate, emerging from one day in the future. That’s no surprise; it just means that you will see that person enter the front side of the gate tomorrow. But as you keep watch, you notice that he simply loiters around for one day, and when precisely 24 hours have passed, the traveler walks calmly through the front of the gate. Nobody ever approached from elsewhere. That 24-hour period constitutes the entire life span of this time traveler. He experiences the same thing over and over again, although he doesn’t realize it himself, since he does not accumulate new memories along the way. Every trip through the gate is precisely the same to him. That may strike you as weird or unlikely, but there is nothing paradoxical or logically inconsistent about it.

Dialog-based game. It would be awesome.

This is [strike]exactly[/strike] very close to the concept in the movie Primer.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010
    oh and also to fuck myself, of course

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh and also to fuck myself, of course

This is how our existence collapses, people.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    I'd talk to Elldren on MSN but she hates me

I do not hate you

I just sometimes find you annoying

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    :cry:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like to say "Thank God" because when I do it the phrase becomes intensely blasphemous.

Winky on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like how trolling to some people means "Does not agree with me." Throwing in calling someone autistic, thats a nice touch.

Who should I add to my Book of Grudges?

Fartacus, I'd say read the rape thread for context, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, even one who doesn't understand human emotion.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdy closed time loops, thus a constant repeating pattern actually ends up being impossible according to current theories. Here, if you like time travel theory, read this article. It is really interesting. Now off to my one day of work a week.

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/02-the-real-rules-for-time-travelers/?searchterm=time%20travel

this is super interesting, thanks

also, great game idea in that article
    To illustrate this point, imagine that you stumble upon a time machine in the form of a gate. When you pass through it in one direction, it takes you exactly one day into the past; if you pass through in the other direction, it takes you exactly one day into the future. You walk up to the gate, where you see an older version of yourself waiting for you. The two of you exchange pleasantries. Then you leave your other self behind as you walk through the gate into yesterday. But instead of obstinately wandering off, you wait around a day to meet up with the younger version of yourself (you have now aged into the older version you saw the day before) with whom you exchange pleasantries before going on your way. Everyone’s version of every event would be completely consistent.

We can have much more dramatic stories that are nevertheless consistent. Imagine that we have been appointed Guardian of the Gate, and our job is to keep vigilant watch over who passes through. One day, as we are standing off to the side, we see a person walk out of the rear side of the gate, emerging from one day in the future. That’s no surprise; it just means that you will see that person enter the front side of the gate tomorrow. But as you keep watch, you notice that he simply loiters around for one day, and when precisely 24 hours have passed, the traveler walks calmly through the front of the gate. Nobody ever approached from elsewhere. That 24-hour period constitutes the entire life span of this time traveler. He experiences the same thing over and over again, although he doesn’t realize it himself, since he does not accumulate new memories along the way. Every trip through the gate is precisely the same to him. That may strike you as weird or unlikely, but there is nothing paradoxical or logically inconsistent about it.

Dialog-based game. It would be awesome.

This is [strike]exactly[/strike] very close to the concept in the movie Primer.

Primer was a pretty great movie once you realized what was going on in all those scenes.

electricitylikesme on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I say thank god and swear to god all the time

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dongles for software. Really people, do you really thing dongles are a good idea as a form of copy protection?

Thomamelas on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I like how trolling to some people means "Does not agree with me." Throwing in calling someone autistic, thats a nice touch.

Who should I add to my Book of Grudges?

Fartacus, I'd say read the rape thread for context, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, even one who doesn't understand human emotion.

It wasn't quite that simple.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Primer was a pretty great movie once you realized what was going on in all those scenes.

yeah I had to read some shit online. I was pissed after my first view... why did anyone think this was good?

OOOOOH.

I'm sure lots of people get it in one shot but I didn't.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2010
    Primer was the one where
    the guys invent the time machine in the garage,

right?

I know that's also the premise of the movie, but I can't remember if it would be a mild spoiler.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Dongles for software. Really people, do you really thing dongles are a good idea as a form of copy protection?

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I say thank god and swear to god all the time

Me too.

Like Thank you jesus for letting me get to work this morning safe and sound, and thanks for ignoring some brown people to make sure this happened, Amen.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank heaven for 7-11.

James on
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

heehee.

dongles.

Chanus on
    edited September 2010
    Its funny that ever since Randy has been doing a bit of a cat comic s*P has had me laughing more than usual.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Right. And they were easy to break then.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    James wrote: »
    Thank heaven for little girls.

:winky:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank heaven for little girls.

I see what you did there!

James on
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Right. And they were easy to break then.

Yeah.

I mean, there's a reason we stopped using them a couple decades ago

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need a light microscope and some way to decap chips. Take hacking and prying to the next level.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Every single bit of proprietary software I use, and have used, in the biological sciences has been licensed through dongles

Arch on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This Dell Poweredge 2900 Doorstop (tm) has now been repaired from scratch for the fourth time. If it fails again, I'm thinking of turning it into a mark 1 arc reactor.

y/n?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank heaven for little boys.

RichardTauber on
    edited September 2010
    Closed time loops existing rules out both free will and determinism. Cooooool.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, how was that W movie about Bush?

Winky on
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Every single bit of proprietary software I use, and have used, in the biological sciences has been licensed through dongles

How does it feel to work in an industry that is 30 years behind the times in copy protection technology?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Closed time loops existing rules out both free will and determinism. Cooooool.

Apparently I'm predestined to be okay with that.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Hey, how was that W movie about Bush?

okay. It had a wierd structure, I remember. I really like the end though.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    The problem is we don't know if it has been violated since paradox and all that. Also there was an awesome article on how certain types of paradox can't happen because it leads to an infinite loop and such.

I read something about how those aren't actually paradoxes - there's no paradox since it leads to a loop which causes itself to start over.

Like the first Terminator movie - Skynet sends Arnie back to kill Sarah Connor, which results in John Connor being born, which causes Skynet to send Arnie back... It's self-contained.

Speaking of Terminator, in T:TSCC they had a great episode where a Terminator got sent back for a mission but something went wrong and he ended up in the 1920s instead of the 1940s, his arrival killing someone, changing the future - and that future may well have lead to Skynet never being created.

So the Terminator assumed that person's identity and did what that person would have accomplished in life, resulting in some famous building being built. And the Terminator's original mission took place in that building.

Really good episode, with a Terminator being an honest worker and politician. :P

Echo on
    edited September 2010

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

How does it feel to work in an industry that is 30 years behind the times in copy protection technology?

Scientific

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.