As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dear [Chat]y

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I quite like copy protection dongles. I thought they were a new thing, I only encountered them recently. They are a bit like the keys you need to do nuclear launches.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This Dell Poweredge 2900 Doorstop (tm) has now been repaired from scratch for the fourth time. If it fails again, I'm thinking of turning it into a mark 1 arc reactor.

y/n?

How old is it? Like 5 years?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Thank heaven for little boys.

:winky:

that is not how the song goes!

What was that one movie with Gerard Depardieu where his daughter pretends to be his girlfriend and he sings that song?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Hey, how was that W movie about Bush?

I didn't see it. Not a fan of sports films.

James on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I quite like copy protection dongles. I thought they were a new thing, I only encountered them recently. They are a bit like the keys you need to do nuclear launches.

Ugh, dongles are terrible.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What was that one movie with Gerard Depardieu where his daughter pretends to be his girlfriend and he sings that song?

My father the hero? Or something similar. I like Depardieu for the most part, I mean his version of Cyrnano is the best filmed.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Closed time loops existing rules out both free will and determinism. Cooooool.

Apparently I'm predestined to be okay with that.

I myself choose to be fine with it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The dude writing this time travel article having the same name as the dude who started the field of Evo-Devo is messing with my head a bit

Arch on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My dongle is awesome.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

RichardTauber on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The problem is we don't know if it has been violated since paradox and all that. Also there was an awesome article on how certain types of paradox can't happen because it leads to an infinite loop and such.

I read something about how those aren't actually paradoxes - there's no paradox since it leads to a loop which causes itself to start over.

Like the first Terminator movie - Skynet sends Arnie back to kill Sarah Connor, which results in John Connor being born, which causes Skynet to send Arnie back... It's self-contained.

Speaking of Terminator, in T:TSCC they had a great episode where a Terminator got sent back for a mission but something went wrong and he ended up in the 1920s instead of the 1940s, his arrival killing someone, changing the future - and that future may well have lead to Skynet never being created.

So the Terminator assumed that person's identity and did what that person would have accomplished in life, resulting in some famous building being built. And the Terminator's original mission took place in that building.

Really good episode, with a Terminator being an honest worker and politician. :P

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/02-the-real-rules-for-time-travelers/article_view?searchterm=time%20travel&b_start:int=1

the article mazzyx linked is great about this

tl:dr: infinite recurring loops are not paradoxes, but their existence would have implications about how the universe works that are really cool

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

My father the hero? Or something similar. I like Depardieu for the most part, I mean his version of Cyrnano is the best filmed.

I'm pretty sure that's the film.

And yeah, he's a good actor. Prolific as hell too.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Closed time loops existing rules out both free will and determinism. Cooooool.

Apparently I'm predestined to be okay with that.

I myself choose to be fine with it.

Heh. Cute.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use jesus christ and christ and thank god and goddammit all the time

woops.jpg I guess.

and the concept of infinite data being a good thing is something I struggle with considering my degree basically involves dealing with the question "what the fuck do we do with petabytes of data on something"

kaleedity on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, time travelling photography. Yes/no?

RMS Oceanic on
    edited September 2010

fix your embeds people

edit: no

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2010
    Oh, Feral you still here?

My whole "hate" of bearded dragons boils down solely to aesthetics.

To answer your question from the other day.

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Dongles for software. Really people, do you really thing dongles are a good idea as a form of copy protection?

heeheehee dongles

that is so 80s

Every single bit of proprietary software I use, and have used, in the biological sciences has been licensed through dongles

How does it feel to work in an industry that is 30 years behind the times in copy protection technology?

I run into them too. We OEM an access control system that uses them, and they are extremely common for access control systems. We have plans to write one at some point and the "no dongles" bit is going to be a core point.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

They are easy to lose. And in the 80's they used a serial port usually for them. Sometimes you'd find a parallel port one or one of the older ports I'm forgetting.

Thomamelas on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bearded dragons are awesome.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure that's the film.

And yeah, he's a good actor. Prolific as hell too.

Score one for obscure movie rememberence. Depardieu is also a film sex pioneer, he was the the recipient of a blowjob in a major french film that wasn't adult.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Zen: :^:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know what would be awesome? A pokemon style game where you controlled your pokemans in the fashion of a third person action/brawler game, instead of a turn based RPG.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You know what would be awesome? A pokemon style game where you controlled your pokemans in the fashion of a third person action/brawler game, instead of a turn based RPG.

I have been saying this for years

Arch on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    I finally got some Agricola in!

We played family rules the first game.

Very fun. I can't wait to try it again w/ the job cards.

I've never had a chance to play Agricola though I have heard very good things, the price tag has always put me off of it a little bit to be honest. I hear that drafting the job cards or whatever the starting cards are called is a fun way to do it once people get good at the game.

Boardgames are like crack cocaine to the fiancee. We have so many that are still in shrink wrap. I hate to even think what we've spent on the hobby.

We run in to a couple of problems, being spoiled for choice like this. One of which is rules fatigue. Agricola was a bit daunting this way. We'd pull it out. Look at the rules. Frown. Put it away. Pull the shrink wrap off of something else.

Did this for about a year.

Luckily its one of those games that once you've gotten through that first play through, it all makes perfect sense. Like, why did they even need to INCLUDE rules. (we completely screwed up our first play-through and had to start over...)

Galahad on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    This Dell Poweredge 2900 Doorstop (tm) has now been repaired from scratch for the fourth time. If it fails again, I'm thinking of turning it into a mark 1 arc reactor.

y/n?

Somewhere in that ballpark, that's why I'm sure it's full of precious metals I could use to propel myself through the air in a suit made of rac server casing and cooling vent fans.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cool would be watching Samcro the whole evening. I think I just might

RichardTauber on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bearded dragons, eh

but fuck bearded devils

and everyone at work calls any usb key a dongle

kaleedity on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There was a kind of evolution themed game like this on the NES I think...

Galahad on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

y/n?

Somewhere in that ballpark, that's why I'm sure it's full of precious metals I could use to propel myself through the air in a suit made of rac server casing and cooling vent fans.

I think you have an obligation to humanity to follow this path.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inq I would play LoL with you tonight but I will probably crash when I get home, I've been very sick and getting through today is going to be a struggle.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited September 2010
    Wait is a USB key that is necessary for a product to work a dongle?

if not disregard my earlier statement

Arch on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I just remembered a scene in the second Monkey Island game.

You were in a swamp, and bumped into future Guybrush on the other side of a gate.

Later, of course, you end up being that future Guybrush meeting your past self, and then you had to repeat exactly what happened in the past or you'd cause a paradox.

Echo on
    edited September 2010

The mystery dungeon games are a third person action rpgish thing where you are a pokemon.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    bearded dragons, eh

but fuck bearded devils

and everyone at work calls any usb key a dongle

how about a dragon with a beard

James on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Or a live action film with bad acting and terrible special effects!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX1m0Y2Vkg

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Gears of Wartortle

Smurph on
    edited September 2010

EVO: Search for Eden and it was one of my favorite games ever made ever

and it was for the SNES

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

The mystery dungeon games are a third person action rpgish thing where you are a pokemon.

I have been vacillating over getting that for a long time

One the one hand- Action RPG-ish thing with pokemon

on the other

The whole plot is that you have inexplicably turned INTO a pokemon, and I feel weird about that

Arch on
    edited September 2010

I would enjoy that. Playing as Pokemon in Smash Bros is a lot of fun.

Feral on

edited September 2010

If you mean EVO on the SNES, it's not quite the same idea. But fun nonetheless.

James on
This discussion has been closed.