As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Open Beta ends the 19th; Wutai server! Server change for live?

• funkydue01funkydue01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thats the thing, there isn't a standard billing option that doesn't go through a third party, and that is BS.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
    (FFXIV:Renier Avanti - Wutai) (WoW:Kaelos - Malorne) (SC2: funkydue.219) (360/Steam: funkydue)
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    seabass wrote: »
    It occurs to me, I should probably dick around with the payment options and what not *NOW* rather than when the box gets here. Anyone know anything about doing that?

That's what I did. You can input your payment information into your account at account.square-enix.com

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sticking with Crysta given that I've heard bad things about both ClickandBuy and PlaySpan.

I still have to go through one of them, but at least this way I get to choose when they charge me.

a puddle on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tried the local Target while I'm getting a carrwash. No dice. So that's 2 hallmarks 2 BBs ant a gamestop plus a Target. I'm done

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not quite following this conversation? What's wrong with 3d party payment options? Is there a link someone can give explaining the problem?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited September 2010
    Well, ClickandBuy has numerous reports of grossly overcharging and outright theft from users.

PlaySpan, I've heard might charge you extra fees for every transaction but who knows it is a mystery.

a puddle on
    edited September 2010
    I'm not quite following this conversation? What's wrong with 3d party payment options? Is there a link someone can give explaining the problem?

Someone had heard that Click and Buy has issues cancelling subscriptions. Never dealt with them myself, but honestly I'm not particularly worried about 3rd party payment options.

Essentially it is a lot of rumors at this point. But then again I'm pretty much convinced that regardless of WHAT payment options there were, people would have found issue with it. Seems to be par for the course.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i still haven't seen any payment options? where's the info about these shoes you've guys have been talking about for the past month? no one ever links what they're talking about

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am quite displeased. Here all you are getting your collectors editions today after I got a phone call yesterday saying I could pick mine up today.

I go in, and fatty at the counter tells me they made a mistake. Oooh that really burns me.

p.s. change the thread title!

Topia on
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i still haven't seen any payment options? where's the info about these shoes you've guys have been talking about for the past month? no one ever links what they're talking about

The shoes? If you link a current Playonline ID with active Content ID's on it to your Square-Enix account you will get a pair of golden slippers when FFXIV goes live. They increase run speed by some sort of amount that has not been released yet. In order to add a playonline ID you need to select "link settings" from your account page on account.square-enix.com.

Also if you registered your FFXIII code on member.square-enix.com you can use the code you are given there (Go to the FFXIII game section and select Bonus) Enter that code in to your account.square-enix.com account page under "Select Service".

In regards to the payment options you can go to your account page and select "About payment methods" to get all the information on the options available.

Once you get your copy of the Collector's edition (provided you ordered one) you can enter the code that comes with it in the same fashion as the FFXIII code (Select service) to gain access to the Onion helm.

All the item stuff needs to be done BEFORE you create a character on FFXIV in order to get access to the items on that character.

I think that covers it all.

Item links:
    FFXIII Asuran Armgaurds. Increases effectiveness of equipped tool/weapon
    Onion Helm, reduces death penalty duration by 50%
    Linked FFXI account Hermes Shoes. Speed increase.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it really possible to get experience and level up enough using just crafting, or are they just bullshitting me with trying to make it seem like crafting professions are on the same level as adventuring professions?

First of all, remember that there are two levels you care about: your job level and your physical level. This is pretty basic stuff so I apologize for even mentioning it, but physical level is the one that gives you stat points; so although you start a new job at level 1 and although there is a cap on how high your level 1 stats can be, by having a high physical level you can guaran-damn-tee that your stats will always be maxed out on a new job. Cool beans.

S'far as whether or not you can level by crafting, let me give you a practical example based on personal experience.

If you're fighting "green"-con mobs (easy prey/stuff what can be soloed reasonably) as a combat class, you can expect to get in the neighborhood of 300 physical exp and anywhere from 0~300ish job exp per kill.

If you're crafting something appropriate for your crafting job, you *will* get about 300 job exp and about 1500 physical exp per craft. While crafting success is anything but guaranteed, crafting certainly is faster than killing and results in massive gains to your physical level.

I got to something like physical level 24 or 25 in the open beta even though my only combat job was 12 (I was playing VERY CASUALLY), but I had 3 crafting jobs at 10+ and my main gathering job (botany) was 21.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just called my gamestop and apparently mine is doing a midnight release for it. :/

I have work tomorrow. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited September 2010
    Topia wrote: »
    I am quite displeased. Here all you are getting your collectors editions today after I got a phone call yesterday saying I could pick mine up today.

I go in, and fatty at the counter tells me they made a mistake. Oooh that really burns me.

don't sweat it. I'm with you. I went to 5 different stores too!

Bestbuy was going to sell it to me but it wont arrive in their store until tomorrow.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Is it really possible to get experience and level up enough using just crafting, or are they just bullshitting me with trying to make it seem like crafting professions are on the same level as adventuring professions?

First of all, remember that there are two levels you care about: your job level and your physical level. This is pretty basic stuff so I apologize for even mentioning it, but physical level is the one that gives you stat points; so although you start a new job at level 1 and although there is a cap on how high your level 1 stats can be, by having a high physical level you can guaran-damn-tee that your stats will always be maxed out on a new job. Cool beans.

S'far as whether or not you can level by crafting, let me give you a practical example based on personal experience.

If you're fighting "green"-con mobs (easy prey/stuff what can be soloed reasonably) as a combat class, you can expect to get in the neighborhood of 300 physical exp and anywhere from 0~300ish job exp per kill.

If you're crafting something appropriate for your crafting job, you *will* get about 300 job exp and about 1500 physical exp per craft. While crafting success is anything but guaranteed, crafting certainly is faster than killing and results in massive gains to your physical level.

I got to something like physical level 24 or 25 in the open beta even though my only combat job was 12 (I was playing VERY CASUALLY), but I had 3 crafting jobs at 10+ and my main gathering job (botany) was 21.

I only tried mining on the final day of open beta and even then I just did two leves.. how hard is it to find gathering points?

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pretty easy. You have skills that point the way for you and speed buffs you if there are none near.

Saphier on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

My jealousy/secret hatred of you has gone away. Welcome back to the waiting club!
    If I could get my copy today I would be one gloating jackass.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited September 2010
    Saphier wrote: »
    Pretty easy. You have skills that point the way for you and speed buffs you if there are none near.

right on. I'll end up mining i think to feed my goldsmithing habit.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So when do the servers go up? I'm looking to hear some initial impressions from people playing it now (and to make comparisons to the beta, if they've played that as well).

Can I completely uninstall the beta, or is there a part I have to keep for the retail version?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's patching...
    IT'S PATCHING!
    Tune in, in about 5 minutes to hear inevitable rant about how slow the patching is.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited September 2010
    So when do the servers go up? I'm looking to hear some initial impressions from people playing it now (and to make comparisons to the beta, if they've played that as well).

Can I completely uninstall the beta, or is there a part I have to keep for the retail version?

Uninstall it. And supposedly the servers will go up at 6 or 7 PST tonight. Can't remember which.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    shipped.jpg

Check your Amazon orders boys and girls.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those of you with Android, someone has already created a rather nice app. It catalogues Recipes, and a bunch of other information. It's available for free, or $.99 without ads. Just search for FFXIV in the Marketplace.

I think it was someone on FFXIVcore, or something.

Silent Tristero on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

I was planning on doing that this evening.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IndieGirl wrote: »
    shipped.jpg

Check your Amazon orders boys and girls.

Argh! Still shipping soon for me. I know I should just forget about it until it gets here, but I'm too excited.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I went into Game (UK) today to check the price, and they didn't have any copies in stock yet. Which is somewhat of a concern. Is that standard practice at all with games released on an unusual date? Games here come out on Fridays; I wondered if perhaps it was a combination of this, and the fact that it's an MMO and they know that nobody can use it a day early anyway.

My fault for not ordering online I guess, but that thing won't fit through my postbox, and I'd probably miss the delivery guy (In a block of flats).

May also be worth mentioning this again, incase it's lost at the bottom of the previous page:
    For those of you with Android, someone has already created a rather nice app. It catalogues Recipes, and a bunch of other information. It's available for free, or $.99 without ads. Just search for FFXIV in the Marketplace.

I think it was someone on FFXIVcore, or something.

Silent Tristero on
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, SE's patcher wasnt going too bad, until I hit 27% and then it was, Beta patching, The Return of.
    A restart of the patcher may have helped but I turned straight to utorrent and now a steady 1MB per second has me over 50% downloaded already.

EDIT:

Update done. 460MB file and thats it. Painless through utorrent.
    Unless they spring anymore for servers going live then it looks like I'm good to go.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Went to my usual spot for Beta patch download alternatives, and they have the torrents for retail patches. Gunna snag those now to be ready for when I get my hands on the game tomorrow. :winky:

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I'm glad they are catering to people who enjoy crafting and such. I'm not sure if crafting is gonna be my main thing, though. I like killing shit, I like making little green health bars fluctuate up and down, and I like making things beat on me to the detriment of their personal well-being. Not sure if I can handle crafting full time or not :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, this thread blew up. I guess that means there'll be plenty of us for release. My Amazon order has shipped!

user on
  • DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OH SNAP got the notice that they're doing a midnight launch here. I will see you guys tonight!!!!

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • GarethGareth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My amazon order still says "Shipping Soon" :x I hope it updates by the end of the day.

Gareth on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delias wrote: »
    OH SNAP got the notice that they're doing a midnight launch here. I will see you guys tonight!!!!

yeah thats like 5PM TOMORROW for me. :( Still contemplating if I should go to the midnight thing. Have to wake up at 6AM for my job. -.-

EDIT: Also the whole payment method, its not just tied to our credit card info anymore? We HAVE to buy this crysta stuff?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, me too.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Delias wrote: »

yeah thats like 5PM TOMORROW for me. :( Still contemplating if I should go to the midnight thing. Have to wake up at 6AM for my job. -.-

EDIT: Also the whole payment method, its not just tied to our credit card info anymore? We HAVE to buy this crysta stuff?

No. You can just set it up through your card if you like. Go to account.square-enix.com there is an option for more info on payment options.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited September 2010
    You can do monthly recurring payments but I haven't investigated the payment options much. Regardless, we got a silly payment system again as I think most of us expected.

a puddle on
    edited September 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    You can do monthly recurring payments but I haven't investigated the payment options much. Regardless, we got a silly payment system again as I think most of us expected.

Yup, Monthly recurring payments using your credit card. Damned silly payment options, why don't they just do what other MMO's do and use Monthly recurring payments using your credit card? Or why don't they offer payment options for larger chunks of time at a discount?

How dare they offer something for people who don't have credit cards? The nerve.

/sarcasm

The best part is, anyone who has a Square-Enix account (Hint: the account is free!) can check the payment options in detail.

The ONLY thing Square is doing slightly differently is using third party companies for the payments. And this is also not a new concept.

tl;dr You can pay with a credit/debit card, No you don't HAVE to purchase Crysta, Yes if you DON'T have a credit/debit card you can purchase crysta to fund your monthy fee. This is the same as any other MMO, just replace Crysta with Game Card.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i can't find shit about payment options. as in 1month = ?, 3 month = ?, etc

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2010
    The ONLY thing Square is doing slightly differently is using third party companies for the payments. And this is also not a new concept.

Especially for companies that sell internationally.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone looked up how many crystas we need for a month of subscription time? If it's equal to the credit card way, I may just buy crystas on a monthly basis and use them instead of dealing with the crappy 3rd party system.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i can't find shit about payment options. as in 1month = ?, 3 month = ?, etc

Ah, that information isn't up until the service goes live. They have stated they will be offering up to 6 month Options if I remember correctly. So most likely 1, 3, and 6 month options. Not sure if the 3 and 6 month options will be in at the start though since it was a recent announcement.

*Edit* not sure how much crysta it is at this point, but both the Crysta and Credit/Debit options are through 3rd party companies. One is Click and Buy the other is Playspan. Playspan seems to have a large variety of payment options (advertised at over 85 options).

Either way any sort of payment is through one of these two options.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.