As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    a master reset wipes the phone

maybe some kind of master hacker could get back in there and see the deleted information, but why the hell WOULD they?

Credit card information, people's email addresses for spam.

Right. Some guy is buying refurbished phones at god knows what cost on the gamble that he can get your email address and ask if you want penis pills...

Considering the extremely low liklihood, it is MUCH simpler to deal with fixing that identity theft fear after the fact, than it is to run around trying to permenantly erase everythign to prevent it.

Evander on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I installed Cyanogenmod to my Droid1. It is a nice step up except I can't get my chrome to phone to work now.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I guess I don't like swype partly because I don't exactly know how it works. I am fine with regular typing but maybe I'll watch a video.

really you have to be far less accurate than you think

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    Woot got chrome to phone to work yet again. Does anybody have the new beta for swype?

Mega Playboy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woot got chrome to phone to work yet again. Does anybody have the new beta for swype?

Don't think it's been made available yet. I'd love to have it though.

Anyone know how to downgrade back to 2.1? My wife's Incredible is one of the ones that is pretty screwed by 2.2, and she really needs to revert back.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Don't think it's been made available yet. I'd love to have it though.

Anyone know how to downgrade back to 2.1? My wife's Incredible is one of the ones that is pretty screwed by 2.2, and she really needs to revert back.

Short of rooting the phone I'm not sure.

Mega Playboy on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can she just wipe the phone and start fresh? Probably some app or combination of apps on there that's causing an issue with the 2.2. Hell with AppBrain she can just save all her shit and re-install it right afterwards with a few clicks.

Allforce on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, where the hell is Android 2.2 for Droid X?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so uh.. I rooted my (german) t-mobile desire with unrevoked3, and now can't install the official OTA update
    Any ideas?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is 2.2 really that big of an update to get excited about?

I recently gotten a Samsung Vibrant, and running an official 2.1 software is fucking amazing compare to running some hack together 2.1 software that I was forced to use with my god awful POS Motorola Cliq.

Fuck Motorola! I will never buy anything from that company again, even if they cured cancer.

Casually Hardcore on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2.2 is god damned amazing
    the new java compiler alone would be worth an upgrade
    3-5 times better app performance

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Can she just wipe the phone and start fresh? Probably some app or combination of apps on there that's causing an issue with the 2.2. Hell with AppBrain she can just save all her shit and re-install it right afterwards with a few clicks.

She may be able to, but this is not an uncommon problem. When we spoke to Verizon, the support agent said they'd gotten a lot of calls about the Incredible since 2.2 rolled out, and they're still trying to figure out the problem.

Shadowfire on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zedge is acting up today, anyone experience this?

When I try to preview an audio clip it just freezes.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Would you all think it's worth it switching from an N1 to a 4G Evo? T-Mobile's coverage hasn't been that great lately and with my contract expiring I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and getting the Evo. Thoughts?

Kyougu on
    edited September 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Would you all think it's worth it switching from an N1 to a 4G Evo? T-Mobile's coverage hasn't been that great lately and with my contract expiring I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and getting the Evo. Thoughts?

New and better phones will always be coming out. If you are switching because of coverage that is a thing, but if you are really switching because of the EVO, that is silly.

Evander on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm forcing myself to use Swype and I have to say that it's the best thing to happen to texting since sticking a QWERTY on a cell phone.

Fucking A, I'm really loving my Samsung Vibrant. Can't wait to see the next gen of cell phone.

Casually Hardcore on
  • GingeyGingey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Swype is like the new T9. I love it, took some getting used to but once you have it down it's pretty decent. Better than just typing everything out on my Vibrant.

Also. What The Doodle is an amazing app! I suggest EVERYONE gets it. Undefeated, what what! Pro pictionary player right here.

Gingey on
    PSN - Gingeyy
    Wii Code - 5752 2082 7344 0751
    496697-1.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Think it has to do with my ROM/phone, but Swype has been getting slower and slower since I started using it. It just seems to "think" for way longer, and it takes longer to recognise my finger drags.

Basically I need a new phone ;p

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Think it has to do with my ROM/phone, but Swype has been getting slower and slower since I started using it. It just seems to "think" for way longer, and it takes longer to recognise my finger drags.

Basically I need a new phone ;p

Swype builds up a database of the words you use and adds it to the dictionary. If you add a lot of words and you have an older phone, I suppose that may become an issue. One thing you could try is changing your speed vs accuracy settings. Faster response might help alleviate the issue a little, though if you happen to be an inaccurate swyper you may just have to retype words more.

And you have the latest beta right? I know some older "leaked" versions have had issues with slowing down over time.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I guess I don't like swype partly because I don't exactly know how it works. I am fine with regular typing but maybe I'll watch a video.

I don't know about your phone but my swype came with a tutorial.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Does swype have a limited number of installs? I can't get it to load on my latest replacement nexus (and seeing as there will be another on the way shortly, I don't want to force ti right now, if there s indeed a "last one"

I haven't installed my account on anyone else's device, just multiple times across multiple master resets on my own 4 sequential nexus replacements.

Evander on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well half my friggen apps aren't working now because of the phone being low on space. I hate that I have 4 gigs of free space on an microSD card yet I only have 50 megs to work with for apps. Every time I try to update an app now it says either not enough space, or app failed to install. So now I can't even use half the apps I already had installed.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well half my friggen apps aren't working now because of the phone being low on space. I hate that I have 4 gigs of free space on an microSD card yet I only have 50 megs to work with for apps. Every time I try to update an app now it says either not enough space, or app failed to install. So now I can't even use half the apps I already had installed.

Restart the phone? Fixes my problems.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited September 2010
    delete some apps

Evander on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really hope Swype hurries up and figures out a good modular downloading system so you only have to download the languages you actually use. It's cool that I can use it for 6 different languages, but I can only really use one of them, and they still don't have Japanese support :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know anything about the cases for the Incredible? I want a holster, but I'm curious if this Window Mount + Holster is just a "holster" for the mount, or if I can use it as a belt holster. The two together would be nice, but no local store carries the damn thing (or any other Incredible accessories, which seems to be Verizon's stepchild they keep out of sight of the neighbors).

Shadowfire on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey cokebottle, you're on softbank and have a HTC desire right?

Asking because I'm in japan at the moment for a while (at least 6m, probably a year). Will need a provider for my HTC desire, read some bits on the web that said that to make softbank function probably some rooting may be required to make MMS work.

Alegis on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It looks like Froyo might actually start rolling out for the X starting tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    I would really like my Galaxy S to get an update as well.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

New and better phones will always be coming out. If you are switching because of coverage that is a thing, but if you are really switching because of the EVO, that is silly.

Switching because of coverage (and access to 4G). With T-Mobile I seem to lose connection around the same time every day (noonish to 1pm and around 4pm) so I doubt it's my phone. And I get 27% of with Sprint, which makes it cheaper for me.

Anyone have any experience switching carriers and keeping your number? Who should I contact first?

Kyougu on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

You've got three options:

▪ Delete some apps.

▪ Root your G1 and install a Froyo ROM (I know you said you don't like "messing" with technical stuff, but Froyo is the ONLY way you're going to be able to install apps to that 4GB of space)

▪ Get a new phone - all the new phones out now have plenty of space for apps, and they're much faster than that good ol' G1.

There's really not much else to it. Such is the plight of many (if not most) early adopters.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited September 2010

Switching because of coverage (and access to 4G). With T-Mobile I seem to lose connection around the same time every day (noonish to 1pm and around 4pm) so I doubt it's my phone. And I get 27% of with Sprint, which makes it cheaper for me.

Anyone have any experience switching carriers and keeping your number? Who should I contact first?

In Canada is law that they have to let you keep your number AND not charge you anything for transferring it. You probably have similar things in the states.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2010

4G is just a bunch of marketing baloney. no one has any ACTUAL 4G yet. Even the LTE speeds that Verizon is playing with at the moment don't meet the engineering standards.

How old is your SIM Card? That could be the source of the outage (and should be replaced for free fi it is.)

If you do decide to switch, though, make sure that you DON'T cancel your T-Mobile. Go to Sprint, set up the account there, and have them port in your old number. Sprint will take care of having the T-Mobile account cancelled when they port the number out of it. If you cancel the T-Mobile first, then they might not be able to retrieve the number at all. You can try contacting T-Mobile first, in order to see if they make you any special offers in order to keep you around, but DO NOT cancel your account directly through T-Mobile.

One last thing I'll say about buying the EVO right now, something newer and better is always just over the horizon. I imagine that WHATEVER comes out for the holidays, folks who are buying EVOs and even Galaxy S phones right now are going to be disappointed, as odds are that stuff will take a leap forward in November, and make everything currently out look "old".

Evander on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I find it funny how my 'need' to have the latest and bestest video card is now a 'need' to have the lastest and bestest phone.

Can't wait for the day where I can own a cell phone longer then 3 months untill someone gets a better one and I get penis envy.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so ive been looking around at phones for a while now. i figure its time to upgrade my 4 year old bargain basement nokia to something a little more modern. so i got pretty excited by the epic 4g for a little bit, but then looking around i see a lot of issues cropping up on forums and such. mainly it just seems like you have to worry about manually killing apps and micromanaging the thing all the time. thats kind of a big turnoff to me, so i figured i would see if anyone here has firsthand experience one way or the other. is it a hassle, or can you get it set how you like it and not have to worry about some rogue app destroying your battery life while youre not looking?

Ah_Pook on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Hey cokebottle, you're on softbank and have a HTC desire right?

Asking because I'm in japan at the moment for a while (at least 6m, probably a year). Will need a provider for my HTC desire, read some bits on the web that said that to make softbank function probably some rooting may be required to make MMS work.

Yeah.

The MMS thing is the most annoying part, honestly. At least until the 2.2 update next month, where they're going to support it via a downloadable app, from what it sounds like. Kinda like what Docomo did/is doing for the Xperia. So in the meantime, I just use my personal email address to MMS people, and it works fine unless they have filtering turned on >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to be able to make some movie quote wavs or mp3s into ringtones

if I select-hold in the file browser the option is there but can't be selected (greyed out)

and I can't get the Music app to see them, no idea how to redirect where it's looking.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just picked up the Epic 4G on Saturday and have been reading up on apps and which are the best for their function. Could I hear some opinions from everyone as to which they think are the best "video player" apps(as far as compatibility for different formats and so on)?

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have something called arc, arcmedia or something like it. definitely arc. has worked well for me so far.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

In Canada is law that they have to let you keep your number AND not charge you anything for transferring it. You probably have similar things in the states.

We do. You would contact the phone company you are moving to, as they have to start the process to port your number over.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.