As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    I dont understand how gamestop/ebgames stays in business. Probably the biggest launch this week (month?), and they have no copies at mid day. Well, thats not true, they had 5 copies but they were going to pre-orders. Apparently only 1 "for sale" copy came in, but was sold 5 minutes after they opened.

Now i will leave work 1 hour early to go buy it at futureshop (because i have shitty hours), where i guarantee you there will be a literal mountain of copies that i could climb, if i really felt like doing that.

Before anyone says steam, yeah, sure, if you pay off my credit card i will happily buy it on steam :P

Gamestop doesn't care about new PC games. They make their money off of used games, which has been dead on the PC side of the industry for quite some time. Anyway, this game is very fun. I never got into Civ IV, but I promised myself I would master Civ 5.

Maybe its different down there, but its not only PC games up here. When Red Dead Redemption came out they didnt have copies of that either. I think the last game they actually had for sale on release day was Forza 3, and i snagged the last copy at like, 10am on my way to work. I really hope futureshop/bestbuy crushes them, especially now that theyre both getting into used games, and offering way better trade in values.

But yeah im constantly refreshing futureshops stock indicator making sure its worth my time to leave early. Worst case scenario i make a quick run up the highway to walmart, but id rather not since its completely out of my way. Im dying to play this game, its gonna be so good. Ive already told all my friends that the next time they see me, im going to have a wicked mountainman beard.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hurray for England and starting near the ocean! With whales!

Didn't have crashing problems nor slowdown until the end game. 1920x1080 high settings, DX10, 2xAA.

stfuad on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is like the worst launch of any non-MMO I've played in about 10 years as far as bugs go.

Bikkstah on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember Civ 4 being the same way at launch

Firaxis needs a new QA department

edit: All of the features they're talking about in the Bombcast were all in Civ 4

tofu on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had no bugs and no crashes. Been playing since its release pretty much straight.

Nice system nerds.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmmmm. No problems so far with my i5 750 and 5770.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope one of the first mods takes the numerical diplomacy data for each civ and displays it in the UI.

Suriko on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My laptop plays the demo pretty well. My only concern is that, something just feels off about it. I love the new military and hex system, the civic system makes me feel like culture is a little more useful, albeit, slightly gimmicky, and the fact that I can buy land just means there is another gold sink. The natural wonders are also great, and the new options on first meeting, such as "Don't settle near me" is awesome as well.

however, while I think city-states are interesting, I get annoyed by them fairly quickly. I really miss religion, and diplomacy options, from what the demo showed, aren't that grand. I do love the fact that if you start massing military on an enemy's border, they start getting angry... I dunno. Someone convince me to buy this game.

I hear having a navy is surprisingly useful now.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love getting Honor and then going barbarian-stomping. So satisfying.

As for the lockup issues - I had a bunch until I started it up in DX9 mode, at which point it runs flawlessly.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are you fucking kidding me? I finished the Pyramids on the same turn as a computer and it tie-breaks to the computer? So I got nothing out of it... Sonnuva...

JediNight on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Navies are great, Caesar got real pissed at me when I started building cities though and seemed to think that the upriver lands 6 squares from his borders was his but I told him to get fucked.

The demo's taught me a lot that I can make use of for my first real game. For example, make sure you have access to luxury resources before you build your next city, unhappiness hits you hard, cutting city growth and eventually stopping it altogether as well as no settler production.

Explore fast, get a scout and a boat out asap to plan ahead, if you can take ruins only with your scout since if you get a unit upgrade they keep the movement bonus letting you move archers/spearmen into hills for 1 movement point. Focus on buildings and workers early since your cities are almost invincible without a concerted effort to take it, cities are plenty safe from barbarians early game.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's one thing I really like, the range attack and the fact that cities can fire back!

Dignified Pauper on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    Hey, there went six hours of my life.

Continued from previous thread:
    Wait, wait -- you're running a GTX260 in Direct X 10/11 mode? Or in Direct X 9 mode?

I have a GTX275 and Direct X 10/11 runs terribly. Direct X 9, though, with everything turned up runs perfectly.

DX10/11 mode, I turned AA off but everything else is on. It runs fine, but not great, sometimes I do get some slowdown. This is with an i7 920, which may make a difference.

I've been running an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, and the ATI 5870 and so far no slowdown, although I've only played early game so far.

Also: God damn barbarians.

So you have Tesselation and everything else turned up all the way? Except for AA?

Melkster on
    edited September 2010
    If my HP Pavillion dv7 can run it in DX10/11 on low settings, most people should.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need this game yet I don't have the cash and the demo was to short D:

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

Wait, wait -- you're running a GTX260 in Direct X 10/11 mode? Or in Direct X 9 mode?

I have a GTX275 and Direct X 10/11 runs terribly. Direct X 9, though, with everything turned up runs perfectly.

DX10/11 mode, I turned AA off but everything else is on. It runs fine, but not great, sometimes I do get some slowdown. This is with an i7 920, which may make a difference.

I've been running an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, and the ATI 5870 and so far no slowdown, although I've only played early game so far.

So you have Tesselation and everything else turned up all the way? Except for AA?

Everything's on high, I don't know if there's a very high or something that only newer cards see. Using the 258.96 drivers, at 1680x1050.

Edit: Oh, VSync is off, too.

Fats on
    edited September 2010
    I'm running on a Radeon HD5830, Core2Quad 9550 8gb ram -- DX10/11 with everything at High and Tesselation/Shaders up. High Detail turned on, etc. Everything runs smooth, I haven't had any slowdowns yet. Maybe later on when maps get more cluttered.

JediNight on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    huh wha

what just happened

last time i checked it was five pm now its one am what the fuck

The_Scarab on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I fixed my performance issue by updating my video drivers, usually driver upgrades help a little but I went from always less than 5 to always more than 30 (in 10/11 mode) with the latest ones so whoever said an i3 540/8800gt is too slow for this game can suck it

God is it really 7 pm?

So if you have an Nvidia card, update your drivers

override367 on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm getting a bit frustrated while running dual monitors. Like someone said earlier I can't scroll right...my mouse just slides off the screen (IN FULLSCREEN MODE, WADDAFUHK?!) and the intro movie i have to tab in and out of to be able to click to skip.

Lionel-Richie on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tried using the right arrow key or 6 on the numpad?

Not that it's a great solution, though.

Suriko on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been way too exhausted to play too much today but I am in love with the hex system if only because it makes your borders looks semi-realistic. It's really cool to see my influence sweep around the opening to my peninsula like a crescent moon.

Also, zero computer issues here. So happy I bought a new one in June. <3

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who's the guy doing all the voice work during the game? (the non-leader stuff).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Tried using the right arrow key or 6 on the numpad?

Not that it's a great solution, though.

Yeah that works for scrolling (but yeah, not ideal). Also doesn't fix the weird intro problem. It's like the computer doesn't have the movie as the focused window (normal windows cursor until I directly click civ on the taskbar).

Lionel-Richie on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Anyone having problem with dual monitors? The intro video had the lower and right half cut off and I couldn't scroll right by putting my mouse to the right edge, but N,W, S worked fine.

Also having no dual monitor support kinda sucks atm. I am tired of trying to scroll right and ending up on the second monitor.

And you will love this quote from a mod over at 2k.
    douchebag wrote:
    You do not alter the core programming of an application to support a user method that less than 5% of the user base will implement.

I think it's a tad bit over 5%. That post makes my brain hurt.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    That's ridiculous.

Civ IV didn't have this problem. Hurpdurp. Core programming. Harumph, I rarely run into trouble with this in any game and my dual monitors unless I'm in windowed mode.

We're not asking for some weird dual monitor support wherein the civi-opedia is on monitor...just mouse constraint. I tried using Cursorlock but it didn't really work with the launcher nonsense.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sooo... by the sound of it, I'm better off running Civ V with one monitor in 1900x1200 and not worry about extending it to another display?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ATTENTION: WE'RE DOING A MULTIPLAYER GAME RIGHT NOW

Get on the PA vent. Have five so far. Gonna go real soon.

Melkster on
    edited September 2010
    I'll have to get in on this multiplayer if I decide to buy it. Give us updates and give us reasons to buy the game. In depth, epic reasons.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Decrypt faster, Bob-dammit!

I will miss Leonard Nimoy. But my nipples still harden with anticipation. Much longer, and I shall begin to worry about chafing.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Demo's locked out--looks like it's back to waiting. In the meantime, I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on Newegg (it looks like I've finally hit that point where I just can't run a game I need to play at a level that makes it look good).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

I have AA on, although it's probably not necessary at 1920x1080. It's been smooth sailing. There was also a new ATI driver released a few days ago, I believe, so it may be worth checking that out if anyone is having problems.

About the game itself, if I had to make one complaint, it would be that multiplayer disables the animations. They add such charm to the game. It's weird seeing everything warp around. Everything else, though? Amazing.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Still room in the MP game?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    I would join in on the Multiplayer right now, but then I know I would lose the entire rest of my night doing nothing else ;)

JediNight on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    huh wha

what just happened

last time i checked it was five pm now its one am what the fuck

If you weren't startled by the dawn's rays coming through your window you got off lightly.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought I could be strong against temptation. But when that "Demo's Over" screen came up I was "Nooo! I had such plans!"

* Feverishly grabs out wallet*

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JediNight wrote: »
    Are you fucking kidding me? I finished the Pyramids on the same turn as a computer and it tie-breaks to the computer? So I got nothing out of it... Sonnuva...

don't put up with that! Military response is required.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's ridiculous.

Civ IV didn't have this problem. Hurpdurp. Core programming. Harumph, I rarely run into trouble with this in any game and my dual monitors unless I'm in windowed mode.

We're not asking for some weird dual monitor support wherein the civi-opedia is on monitor...just mouse constraint. I tried using Cursorlock but it didn't really work with the launcher nonsense.

Didn't have an issue with the Civ V demo on my dual monitor setup.

XiaNaphryz on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game runs great for me in DX10 mode: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4 gigs ram, ATI Radeon 4870 with 1 gig ram.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else having a problem with multiplayer where the game reloads every 10 turns or so?

Bikkstah on
This discussion has been closed.