As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    so wait
    is this going to be free-roam or closed-circuit racing?

Free roam with the best Paradise City had to offer but four times bigger, but the actual races will be closed circuit.

So... possibly the best of both worlds?
    This sounds cool as hell.

Yup, that's pretty much it, it's the best of both worlds.

This game is one my friends and I (all of us play Burnout Paradise regularly still online together) are all very much looking forward to.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe I was remembering it wrong then, but I could have sworn that the big "GO THIS WAY!" arrow/barrier things dropped as I heard something over the in-game police scanner about a street race where I was.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    "I'll tell you a story. If you went back to when I first got into the games industry, 1997, Need For Speed was a really strong title. I'd come into EA just after we'd shipped a couple of relatively miserable ones. Our Need For Speed business was off... dramatically. We came up with this idea of putting a cop in the game. Suddenly this whole cat and mouse, cops and chasing thing blew the roof off. We had several consecutive years of growth. We reached a bit of a lull period and came up with Underground which has sort of that night-time vibe and lightning which brought it to new heights - north of 10 million units for the franchise. In the '04 to '07 period, we had a single studio, Black Box, up in Vancouver, building our [NFS games]. And we literally had them on a death march building for five years in a row. [They were] annual iterations, they had to put it out; no rest for the weary. It'd happened before - games publishers do this from time to time. We should have put them on two-year alternating cycles but we didn't. And the title declined dramatically. We started to lose people. they didn't want to work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. It was definitely our fault. Those days are gone. We're back in two studios and we've got them on bi-annual cycles. We made really great progress... with a strong entry last year, which was more of a simulation game. This year [with Hot Pursuit, NFS] is right back in the core action driving... it's had a two-year dev cycle... I feel great about it." - EA's John Riccitiello

Can't wait for this...nice to see EA trying to right the previous wrongs with the franchise.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jamesways wrote: »
    PaperLuigi- no Lotus yet. But who knows, I'm thinking they'll have DLC up the wazoo with this one.

:( Yeah, I hope so. There are still cars I like there, though.
    Nocren wrote: »
    Was it a Need For Speed game or Midnight Club where it was open world driving with closed circuit racing, but if you had too much heat from between races (or during) the cops would show up, the race would be called off and you had to escape? Cause I kinda liked that.

NFS:Most Wanted could have you get heat during a race and have to lose the police after it was over, but I don't think it would cancel the race.

It didn't cancel the race. What was cool was that you would get your photo finish, but things would quickly speed up again because the chase was still on.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A little disappointed on not having cockpit views, but thats just being extremely nit-picky.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nothing nit-picky about wanting cockpit views in a racer. Although I kinda understand the rationale for it (easier to line up takedowns and stuff), it's still a bummer.

(The Burnout games didn't have a cockpit view did they? I forget.)

Zxerol on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    no but Shift does...

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shift's cockpit view was so good.

Zxerol on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

That was the single thing that attracted me to the game in the first place. I played the demo and was hooked, and I don't even like sim racers.

LewieP on
    edited September 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

That was the single thing that attracted me to the game in the first place. I played the demo and was hooked, and I don't even like sim racers.

What made it so great is it made me scared to hit the gas. When I actually had the opportunity to give it the beans on a straight, all I could think of was "OHH FFFFFFFUUUU" but in a good way.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I prefer cockpit views, but the NFS series has never really had them. I think Porsche Unleashed had them, and Shift, but generally they don't. I usually use the bumper cam.

Sir Carcass on
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not having cockpit views has almost become a deal breaker for me. I love the immersion, no hud, in car view, it just makes you feel like you're there.

Shift's cockpit views are really impressive. It's the little things, the things the devs didn't have to add, but yet make subtle differeneces when you notice them. Details like the reflections of the dash in the windshield, the fact that the hands move, not just shifting, but the wrists pivot, and you see the hands grip harder when speeding up. And they really nailed the overall textures, they look like they should.

Forza is great, but some of the cockpits just look flat, like the worong material or textures. Can't pinpoint it exactly, some just don't look real. GT5's look really damn real from what I've seen.

I really have high hopes for Shift 2. If EA leaves the SMS code alone, it might end up being one of the better sims on the console market. It'll certainly compete with GT5 for visuals, that's for sure.

Back to HP, it's been confirmed that they'll have quite a bit of DLC for this, but no pack content confirmed yet. I'm thinking we'll probably see more of the past NFS cars make an appearance.

New preview from IGN-
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1122373p1.html

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to use cockpit views but recently I've moved more to hood or roof camera views that just show the front of the car.

Makes it easier to know where you are relative to another car, which makes it handy for online racing. Since I'm not a natural talent at online sims I opt for being the safe/consistent driver who stays out of trouble. More of an opportunist than an outright speed demon. :D

citizen059 on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not excited about getting Burnout in my NFS. I think of burnout as a crazy ass arcade racer with just enough thrown in as a concession to real driving to avoid being Crusin' USA. I think of NFS as a sim that they keep relaxing until its fun for everyone.

NFS3:HP, HP2 and MW are 3 of my top 4 favorites in the series, with the 3DO original thrown in there. I'm excited about cops, and concerned about drive-over pickups. I'm really concerned that this will be Burnout with cops and real cars, which is missing the point of what I liked about all the old NFS games.

LaPuzza on
    edited September 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I'm not excited about getting Burnout in my NFS. I think of burnout as a crazy ass arcade racer with just enough thrown in as a concession to real driving to avoid being Crusin' USA. I think of NFS as a sim that they keep relaxing until its fun for everyone.

NFS3:HP, HP2 and MW are 3 of my top 4 favorites in the series, with the 3DO original thrown in there. I'm excited about cops, and concerned about drive-over pickups. I'm really concerned that this will be Burnout with cops and real cars, which is missing the point of what I liked about all the old NFS games.

Heh, all your concerns are why I'm excited for this game. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never cared much for cockpit views, but bumper cam is still in, right? I HATE driving in third-person.

Also Jaunty if you are getting this for PC we are playing together and that's that.

Senshi on
    edited September 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    I've never cared much for cockpit views, but bumper cam is still in, right? I HATE driving in third-person.

Also Jaunty if you are getting this for PC we are playing together and that's that.

Third person is cool for the first 10 minutes when you're admiring your car, but I always found it to be crazy imprecise -- like there was some disconnect between my actions and whats on screen.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »

Third person is cool for the first 10 minutes when you're admiring your car, but I always found it to be crazy imprecise -- like there was some disconnect between my actions and whats on screen.

Yeah, when I play in third person, the car doesn't do what I want it to do. Like, at all.

Senshi on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I always struggled with cockpit views, except in Test Drive Unlimited where I couldn't play in anything other than the cockpit view. I think I managed to get every achievement in that using that view. I know I played it for well over a 100 hours. Really addictive.

Big Classy on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh, I'm the exact opposite when it comes to first/third person racing, I can only ever do it in third.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    Huh, I'm the exact opposite when it comes to first/third person racing, I can only ever do it in third.

This is me, I can't control the car the way I want in cockpit view.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I play in the car in Forza, but I drive best in wide zoom high and behind the car. I can never tell as well what the back of the car is doing in a turn unless I'm watching on chopper-cam.

LaPuzza on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I always struggled with cockpit views, except in Test Drive Unlimited where I couldn't play in anything other than the cockpit view. I think I managed to get every achievement in that using that view. I know I played it for well over a 100 hours. Really addictive.

Really? For me the cockpit view in TDU was one of the worst because I couldn't adjust the 'head movement'.

Every time you go into a corner the view turns to look in the direction you're going but it never moved back fast enough for me, and made it difficult for me to judge the position of the car. It was just very unnatural and I couldn't use it unless I was just crusing around slowly, which is too bad because the cockpit views in TDU were pretty solid otherwise.

citizen059 on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ew, Shift left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't see how you guys loved it so much.
    A handful of cars didn't even work, did they ever jump on that?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited September 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Really? For me the cockpit view in TDU was one of the worst because I couldn't adjust the 'head movement'.

Every time you go into a corner the view turns to look in the direction you're going but it never moved back fast enough for me, and made it difficult for me to judge the position of the car. It was just very unnatural and I couldn't use it unless I was just crusing around slowly, which is too bad because the cockpit views in TDU were pretty solid otherwise.

I never had that issue with TDU. Interesting. That makes me want to fire it up again to check that out.
    One feature I REALLY liked in TDU, they let you adjust the seat position to tweak the in car view. Brilliant. I know some pc sims let you do this, I wish more racing games incorporated that.

I still enjoy PGR3 cockpit veiws. I thought they screwed up 4's a bit- some are too close or to low, etc. All could be fixed if you could adjust the seat like in TDU.

And in Forza I use the multi-screen trick to set the veiw back further. Drove me nuts out of the box. In some of the cars your nose is pressed against the glass. What's the point of using an in car view if you can't even see the gauges or hands?

I guess I prefer the Race Pro type- set back a bit.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ew, Shift left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't see how you guys loved it so much.

Some of the cars were bugged? Didn't hear that, which ones were they?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »

They were mostly during the 1 on 1 race events IIRC. Where you picked one of the two cars.
    A couple simply wouldn't start.

Tuning/maxing would bug a couple cars out as well. One of the top my head was the Camaro.

It was just such a messy game. I felt like I'd find stuff all the time that pissed me off.
    Changing any setting on the PC version was the most painful thing in the world.

Edit: Googling "shift need for speed bugs" produces a couple nice lists of things I've encountered. Console and PC alike.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited September 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »

They were mostly during the 1 on 1 race events IIRC. Where you picked one of the two cars.
    A couple simply wouldn't start.

Tuning/maxing would bug a couple cars out as well. One of the top my head was the Camaro.

It was just such a messy game. I felt like I'd find stuff all the time that pissed me off.
    Changing any setting on the PC version was the most painful thing in the world.

They did patch it twice. That fixed some of the handling, and they did fix the bounce, the cars not starting, and the resetting of the tuning with the maxed cars.

It sure was messy out of the box, that's for sure. But now, after tweaking the settings and with good tuning, some of the cars handle really well. Others are still wonky. Some of the FWD cars upgraded are just head-scratching the way the handle.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    It sure was messy out of the box, that's for sure. But now, after tweaking the settings and with good tuning, some of the cars handle really well. Others are still wonky. Some of the FWD cars upgraded are just head-scratching the way the handle.
    Oh yea, I was really into the game at first and plowed through until I got some cars that felt right. It's nice they fixed some things, maybe a revisit is in order.
    I placed a time on Glendale Club(?) that I tried beating for months (32.11 I think) and it's just impossible.
    Was fun chasing it though. Wished they had a ghost feature.

But back on topic, upset about the lack of a PC release.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited September 2010
    I have the most fun in Shift just hotlapping.

So, no PC release for this? In June EA was answering questions on Twitter, I thought they say yes, this will also come out for PC.

http://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/16181987062

Hope that hasn't changed.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    Hope that hasn't changed.
    Sweet, I was only going off what they had listed at Gametrailers when I was checking out some videos.
    They only had it listed for the 360/PS3.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited September 2010
    No, this is most definitely PC as well as consoles.

'course I'll be playing it with my ecksbawks controller anyway

Senshi on
    edited September 2010
    As a followup to the modding mentioned in Shift...this is a fine example, ported from GTR2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5230TFvVEqM

citizen059 on
    edited October 2010
    Those mods. Gahdammit!
    I saw several Porsche Mods, both the 24hr nurb Manthey and the Matmut running on the Ring. Cripes what I wouldn't give to play that on PC...

More HP stuffs.
    map of the full environment.
    ma9x86.jpg

New trailers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqg1JfqYNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6uRJV0fu8

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the nice long straightaways, but I almost feel like they're missing out with no urban environment

Lots of iconic car chases have taken place in the city!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2010
    Welp those two trailers sold me. Day one.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I like how the Wanted trailer shows the racer kicking ass, considering one of the earlier trailers had the cop taking names.

And while EA soundtracks can be pretty catchy, I hope the pursuits have the dramatic music like Most Wanted and as shown in these trailers. They really get the adrenaline running.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have got such a hard-on for this. One of my fondest memories growing up was playing the original Hot Pursuit at LAN parties with friends - shit talking across the room as you dropped spike strips... ahhh, those were the days.

So what're we all getting it on? I'm tossing up 360 or PC... unsure which community will be less gooseheaded.

RisenPhoenix on
    edited October 2010
    360 for me.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited October 2010
    Yea, I'll be getting this for the 360.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!