As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] daniels

• Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Ugh, not feeling well at all.

oh no!

cheer up!

(pretend there's one of those distorted pictures with the scary baby smiling here)

also also I would pay all the dollars for a doll of fetish Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.scalzi.com/pass.jpg NSFW.

And I just feel kinda feverish and nauseous.

yes, I know the original comic

but that's not a doll

like when Todd McFarlane got together with American McGee and they did bondage Oz dolls

Dorothy hooded and pierced and gagged and corsetted mmm

I'm sort of sick of the "fairy tales gone dark" thing. It was sort of alright when American McGee did it but by now it's pretty trite.

It would probably help if the people who did those sorts of things got more creative than trying to ape Tim Burton's style and/or slapping on random fetish and steampunk stuff.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    they're talking about vaginas aging on dr. oz

turns out vaginas are not like fine wines, they do not get better with age

So you're saying vaginas are more of a Nouveau Beaujolais?

desc on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I still think American McGee's Alice was a really fun game and an fun take on the story. But that Strawberry Shortcake comic always make me laugh.

Amercian McGee was the M Night Shalamalamdingdong of video games.

He produced one decent thing and the rest were horrible horrible abortions? I might get behind this.

Other than I liked Unbreakable as a b-movie entertainment.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    like when Todd McFarlane got together with American McGee and they did bondage Oz dolls

this stuff just strikes me as misanthropic

i mean i guess i know that some people are kind of mentally broken in terms of being able to separate abuse from arousal

but it doesn't seem like something to celebrate

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seeing the dawn rise above my crops out of my window

I like my home. Now it has a kick-ass roof too.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still think American McGee's Alice was a really fun game and an fun take on the story. But that Strawberry Shortcake comic always make me laugh.

Amercian McGee was the M Night Shalamalamdingdong of video games.

He produced one decent thing and the rest were horrible horrible abortions? I might get behind this.

Other than I liked Unbreakable as a b-movie entertainment.

I enjoy Unbreakable as well, but once Willis left M. Night his movies went down the shitter.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this is a pretty good show though, they're having an open and honest discussion about lady bits with gynos

Casual Eddy on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh Will.

*sigh*

I think you've really stepped in it this time.

But then I guess you're used to it by now. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2010
    I'm sort of sick of the "fairy tales gone dark" thing. It was sort of alright when American McGee did it but by now it's pretty trite.

It would probably help if the people who did those sorts of things got more creative than trying to ape Tim Burton's style and/or slapping on random fetish and steampunk stuff.

I can't even really give AMG Alice a pass, it was the millionth "Dark" take on Alice when it was released.

The long story short is people should give up on edgy fairytales. It can be interesting in theory, but in practice it's always the same. Even a series like Fables has a lot of moments which read as horribly clunky to me.

desc on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh Will.

*sigh*

He's gagging for it.

Silas Brown on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Oh Will.

*sigh*

i may have gotten to the point where people have just given up on me as a lost cause

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »

I can't even really give AMG Alice a pass, it was the millionth "Dark" take on Alice when it was released.

The long story short is people should give up on edgy fairytales. It can be interesting in theory, but in practice it's always the same. Even a series like Fables has a lot of moments which read as horribly clunky to me.

My thing is I don't give it a pass, I just found the game was enjoyable and fun. And the aesthetic was part of that.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2010
    this is a pretty good show though, they're having an open and honest discussion about lady bits with gynos

Ozz has some shitty beliefs, I swear he's an anti vaccer, or not a real doctor or something.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Oh Will.

*sigh*

i may have gotten to the point where people have just given up on me as a lost cause
    I guess we'll find out within the next couple pages.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2010

i mean i guess i know that some people are kind of mentally broken in terms of being able to separate abuse from arousal

Knowing a lot of people who are into that sort of stuff, it's more that they identify as being vaguely alternative/gothy/kinky/nerdy whatever rather than actually being into real S&M

The amount of products consumed by that particular culture is pretty staggering. But i guess that's the case for most strong identity groups. *edit* at least ones based on pop culture

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I like Beaujolais Nouveau.

I like vaginas.

Burtletoy on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "dark" fairy tale remakes are like the chicks that don't look "that" great, but can really whore it out on Halloween.

It's nothing but the exact same story with boobs and bondage gear and/or gore and violence. Shit like that was made for people that still read Spawn comics.

I've got no use for it. None at all.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    I feel like I'm too genre-savvy. Whenever I read a story or watch a show, I just observe all the necessary pieces that make it what it is. Every kind of conflict, every seemingly-arbitrary aesthetic principle, every established relationship between any two or more characters. It's all so... fiction.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010

there was a cute little Mac indie game called "The Path" that frankie liked a whole lot

i'm not really even sure if it qualified as a game. it was a lot more experiential than achievement-based.

it was based aroung little red riding hood, which frankie is a fan of.

actually frankie likes all those stupid fairy-tale reimaginings, like the ones they do on sci-fi.

i guess it doesn't speak well of her character, really.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Oh, Will. You poor, narrow-minded man. <3

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010

Ozz has some shitty beliefs, I swear he's an anti vaccer, or not a real doctor or something.

I was under the impression he was fairly reasonable about most things

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010
    Oh Will.

*sigh*

We'll just have to beat new ones into you until you understand.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I like Beaujolais Nouveau.

I like vaginas.

... two great tastes that taste great together?

desc on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel like I'm too genre-savvy. Whenever I read a story or watch a show, I just observe all the necessary pieces that make it what it is. Every kind of conflict, every seemingly-arbitrary aesthetic principle, every established relationship between any two or more characters. It's all so... fiction.

Well that's all fiction is, after all. You should read some interstitial fiction, because it's all about strategically and fulfilling and denying genre tropes.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

there was a cute little Mac indie game called "The Path" that frankie liked a whole lot

i'm not really even sure if it qualified as a game. it was a lot more experiential than achievement-based.

actually frankie likes all those stupid fairy-tale reimaginings, like the ones they do on sci-fi.

most of what you say about frankie is about how snotty or awful she is

she seemed nice to me!

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

He's got something, I mean other then the oprah taint, I know this Eddy, something is wrong with Ozz. Do not trust his lies!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will pretty much always talks about how awful everything is. Except for suits. :P

Inquisitor on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've actually never seen that comic.

HappylilElf on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ... two great tastes that taste great together?

Ouch.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010
    Man I'm hungry.

Lunchtime!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    i really don't think that being into fairy tale re-imaginings speaks to your character in any way

i don't see the logical step that's being taken, there

poor taste, maybe, but character?

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Well that's all fiction is, after all. You should read some interstitial fiction, because it's all about strategically and fulfilling and denying genre tropes.

Can you recommend some examples?

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010

Ahahahahaha oh man The Path. It's one of those games that tries way to hard to be "art" by having extremely overwrought "adult" themes, like abuse/sexuality/rape.

basically you can either stay on the titular path to Grandma's house, in which case nothing happens, or you can wander off, which inevitably results in something terrible happening to your character.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Will pretty much always talks about how awful everything is. Except for suits. :P

And Martinis.

Passerbye on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

As someone who has experience with both abuse and BDSM, your statement is very wrong. The sets of feelings involved are completely different. I know that you sometimes have difficultly looking beyond the surface of things but even you should be able to grasp the difference.

Thomamelas on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

I don't think you know what misanthropic means.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    Ah ha! He's backs chiropractery nonesense.

RealAge drug marketing
    As The New York Times has explained, Oz is a "spokesman and advisor" for the website RealAge.com, which the paper has heavily criticized for its pharmaceutical marketing practices. The site solicits medical information from visitors, ostensibly to determine a visitor’s "biological age" and then uses the visitor's medical profile for pharmaceutical marketing purposes. As The Times reporter explained the significance of this fact: "While few people would fill out a detailed questionnaire about their health and hand it over to a drug company looking for suggestions for new medications, that is essentially what RealAge is doing."[27]

[edit] Alternative medicine
    Oz is a supporter of alternative medicine.[3] Some conventional medical practitioners allege that Oz may be promoting unproven and potentially harmful alternative medicine practices on The Oprah Winfrey Show [28] and elsewhere.[29][30][31] Appearing in surgical scrubs on the show's set in Chicago, Oz has promoted self-described energy based practices and acupuncture on the show.[32]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Oz

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

He's got something, I mean other then the oprah taint, I know this Eddy, something is wrong with Ozz. Do not trust his lies!

this is what wiki says

RealAge drug marketing

As The New York Times has explained, Oz is a "spokesman and advisor" for the website RealAge.com, which the paper has heavily criticized for its pharmaceutical marketing practices. The site solicits medical information from visitors, ostensibly to determine a visitor’s "biological age" and then uses the visitor's medical profile for pharmaceutical marketing purposes. As The Times reporter explained the significance of this fact: "While few people would fill out a detailed questionnaire about their health and hand it over to a drug company looking for suggestions for new medications, that is essentially what RealAge is doing."[27]
    [edit] Alternative medicine

Oz is a supporter of alternative medicine.[3] Some conventional medical practitioners allege that Oz may be promoting unproven and potentially harmful alternative medicine practices on The Oprah Winfrey Show [28] and elsewhere.[29][30][31] Appearing in surgical scrubs on the show's set in Chicago, Oz has promoted self-described energy based practices and acupuncture on the show.[32]

but what I've read suggests he does more good than ill

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010
    Will, are you up for some multiplayer matchmaking in Halo tonight? I'm falling behind on the weekly challenge.

Silas Brown on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

also, some of the older fairy tales were pretty edgy in their own way.

In Cinderella, the step sisters cut off their toes and heels to fit into the glass slipper. I think the prince would notice the blood in the shoe (since it's glass) and see that it didn't actually fit.

Niceguy Myeye on
This discussion has been closed.