As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] daniels

• PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, that's why I've never heard of him. Oz is associated with that Winfrey character.

Passerbye on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I feel like I'm too genre-savvy. Whenever I read a story or watch a show, I just observe all the necessary pieces that make it what it is. Every kind of conflict, every seemingly-arbitrary aesthetic principle, every established relationship between any two or more characters. It's all so... fiction.

Well that's all fiction is, after all. You should read some interstitial fiction, because it's all about strategically and fulfilling and denying genre tropes.

Can you recommend some examples?

What I read was two anthologies of interstitial writing called Interfictions and well, Interfictions 2.

Trying to see if I can't find a good example online though.

Inquisitor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I used to have the real grimms fairy tales as a child. Cinderella ended with the step sisters being blinded too by birds that were the spirit of her dead mother who her step family had killed.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    like when Todd McFarlane got together with American McGee and they did bondage Oz dolls

Dorothy hooded and pierced and gagged and corsetted mmm

this stuff just strikes me as misanthropic

i mean i guess i know that some people are kind of mentally broken in terms of being able to separate abuse from arousal

but it doesn't seem like something to celebrate

Knowing a lot of people who are into that sort of stuff, it's more that they identify as being vaguely alternative/gothy/kinky/nerdy whatever rather than actually being into real S&M

The amount of products consumed by that particular culture is pretty staggering. But i guess that's the case for most strong identity groups. *edit* at least ones based on pop culture

it seems like there's something about being a member of a transgressive subculture that really just revs up the human brain to the point where it can just take over so much of one's identity.

i just don't like the imagery of bound, gagged, blindfolded, domineered, degraded, subservient humans. enjoyment derived from being on either side of that kind of relationship strikes me as unhealthy and dysfunctional. i don't really understand the draw of fairy tale characters being depicted bound and gagged and such.

i mean, people do it and i guess i support their right to do it voluntarily. but i don't like it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feel like I'm too genre-savvy. Whenever I read a story or watch a show, I just observe all the necessary pieces that make it what it is. Every kind of conflict, every seemingly-arbitrary aesthetic principle, every established relationship between any two or more characters. It's all so... fiction.

Well that's all fiction is, after all. You should read some interstitial fiction, because it's all about strategically and fulfilling and denying genre tropes.

Can you recommend some examples?

What I read was two anthologies of interstitial writing called Interfictions and well, Interfictions 2.

Trying to see if I can't find a good example online though.

I'll hunt down a copy of Interfictions and see if it's my thing. Thanks!

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    As opposed to part of being mainstream culture which doesn't take over any of one's identity at all, will? :P

Inquisitor on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Will broke the forums.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    I'm sort of sick of the "fairy tales gone dark" thing. It was sort of alright when American McGee did it but by now it's pretty trite.

It would probably help if the people who did those sorts of things got more creative than trying to ape Tim Burton's style and/or slapping on random fetish and steampunk stuff.

I can't even really give AMG Alice a pass, it was the millionth "Dark" take on Alice when it was released.

The long story short is people should give up on edgy fairytales. It can be interesting in theory, but in practice it's always the same. Even a series like Fables has a lot of moments which read as horribly clunky to me.

there was a cute little Mac indie game called "The Path" that frankie liked a whole lot

i'm not really even sure if it qualified as a game. it was a lot more experiential than achievement-based.

it was based aroung little red riding hood, which frankie is a fan of.

actually frankie likes all those stupid fairy-tale reimaginings, like the ones they do on sci-fi.

i guess it doesn't speak well of her character, really.

Ahahahahaha oh man The Path. It's one of those games that tries way to hard to be "art" by having extremely overwrought "adult" themes, like abuse/sexuality/rape.

basically you can either stay on the titular path to Grandma's house, in which case nothing happens, or you can wander off, which inevitably results in something terrible happening to your character.

There are so many versions of Red Riding Hood no one can be sure what the original was any more. I'm known for exaggerating, but a least a zillion people have done a darker version of Red Riding Hood. Usually the wolf = a guy and Red = a teenage girl and its all about the sex. Bonus points if they can make grandma sinister too!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will, are you up for some multiplayer matchmaking in Halo tonight? I'm falling behind on the weekly challenge.

i am!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Will broke the forums.

That was me actually I forgot to feed the hamster that runs the boards server.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sort of sick of the "fairy tales gone dark" thing. It was sort of alright when American McGee did it but by now it's pretty trite.

It would probably help if the people who did those sorts of things got more creative than trying to ape Tim Burton's style and/or slapping on random fetish and steampunk stuff.

I can't even really give AMG Alice a pass, it was the millionth "Dark" take on Alice when it was released.

The long story short is people should give up on edgy fairytales. It can be interesting in theory, but in practice it's always the same. Even a series like Fables has a lot of moments which read as horribly clunky to me.

also, some of the older fairy tales were pretty edgy in their own way.

In Cinderella, the step sisters cut off their toes and heels to fit into the glass slipper. I think the prince would notice the blood in the shoe (since it's glass) and see that it didn't actually fit.

See I'm all for hearing the non disney versions of stories because they were a lot more interesting. That's not the same thing though as just putting cinderella and her sisters in really tight slutty apparel and letting Tim Burton poop out the color patterns of the landscape.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i really don't think that being into fairy tale re-imaginings speaks to your character in any way

i don't see the logical step that's being taken, there

poor taste, maybe, but character?

definitely poor taste

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    There are so many versions of Red Riding Hood no one can be sure what the original was any more. I'm known for exaggerating, but a least a zillion people have done a darker version of Red Riding Hood. Usually the wolf = a guy and Red = a teenage girl and its all about the sex. Bonus points if they can make grandma sinister too!

Reminds me of the red riding hood joke that got cut from From Dusk Till Dawn.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

also, some of the older fairy tales were pretty edgy in their own way.

In Cinderella, the step sisters cut off their toes and heels to fit into the glass slipper. I think the prince would notice the blood in the shoe (since it's glass) and see that it didn't actually fit.

Upon reading your sig I have now realized where the genesis of the rave movement came from.

HappylilElf on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "The dog that saved our marriage"

This is a real program, on Sky 3, tonight.

Dear lord.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2010

See I'm all for hearing the non disney versions of stories because they were a lot more interesting. That's not the same thing though as just putting cinderella and her sisters in really tight slutty apparel and letting Tim Burton poop out the color patterns of the landscape.

Yeah I grow tired of this bullshit. Throw everyone in corsettes bring in Burton and his wife, have johnny depp play a wacky character and "woo reimagined" prepackaged at your local hot topic and good to go.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck.

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2010
    Ahahahahaha oh man The Path. It's one of those games that tries way to hard to be "art" by having extremely overwrought "adult" themes, like abuse/sexuality/rape.

basically you can either stay on the titular path to Grandma's house, in which case nothing happens, or you can wander off, which inevitably results in something terrible happening to your character.

that seemed to be what it was about

frankie is for some reason really into LRRH as an allegory for the dangers the world poses to little girls or young women (she even has a tattoo of a poem relating to this!), so i guess that game tapped into something for her.

i didn't play it but saw her messing with it quite a bit.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I used to have the real grimms fairy tales as a child. Cinderella ended with the step sisters being blinded too by birds that were the spirit of her dead mother who her step family had killed.

Yeah, those things are really fucked up if you use the old non Disneyfied versions of them. I guess that's true with a lot of older books, though.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    "The dog that saved our marriage"

This is a real program, on Sky 3, tonight.

Dear lord.

Maybe it means really ugly lady that the husband fucked?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

frankie is for some reason really into LRRH as an allegory for the dangers the world poses to little girls or young women (she even has a tattoo of a poem relating to this!), so i guess that game tapped into something for her.

You know Will I don't want to go all armchair psychology or anything but most stories you tell of Frankie are negative...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Will, are you up for some multiplayer matchmaking in Halo tonight? I'm falling behind on the weekly challenge.

i am!

Awesome. I'll want to grab dinner and hang with Arivia a little first, but I should be available around 10 PM Eastern or so.

Silas Brown on
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Will pretty much always talks about how awful everything is. Except for suits. :P

And Martinis.

i don't really like martinis

i like a lot of things. just not the tittering transgressive subcultures that you guys are into.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    like when Todd McFarlane got together with American McGee and they did bondage Oz dolls

i mean i guess i know that some people are kind of mentally broken in terms of being able to separate abuse from arousal

I don't think you know what misanthropic means.

aving an anipathy towards humans

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    I think History Channel just told me that if I don't buy their DVD's I'm a Nazi

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

I don't think you know what misanthropic means.

aving an anipathy towards humans

...Then you might be high. Are you high?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

You know Will I don't want to go all armchair psychology or anything but most stories you tell of Frankie are negative...

it's almost like he doesn't like her- next thing you know he'll have her gagged and hooded and...

Organichu on
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Angela Carter did some interesting stuff with fairy tales.

I mean, they were all about girls becoming women, loss of innocence, etc., but I've always found them interesting to read.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2010
    I think History Channel just told me that if I don't buy their DVD's I'm a Nazi

Well you have advocated the murder of jews, gypsies, and people who wear the color yellow.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Sort of tangential. but in some of my art classes in college there was a small asian girl who would always draw/paint images of small naked asian girls that looked conspicuously like her, being molested and attacked by men with the heads of black wolves and red eyes.

But whenever anyone ever asked her about the imagery, she'd just say "OH I DON'T KNOW WHERE I GET THESE IDEAS FROM, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY MEAN." I have no idea if it was a cry for help or if she just liked being really pretentious.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Best thing ever...

My mom was one of those moms that would buy the cheap k-mart version of whatever toy I wanted for Christmas because "it's all the same"

So she gets me "the little mermaid" only to discover it's like some japanime version where Ariel doesn't have shells covering her little breasteses.

Heh

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    As opposed to part of being mainstream culture which doesn't take over any of one's identity at all, will? :P

well yeah that does happen sometimes i guess - you find the businessman obsessed with golf or baseball box scores or something.

it seems to be more prevalent in subcultures though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    I have done some tittering transgressiveness here in [chat], but I like to think I've really tuned it down and started approaching my personal interests more realistically and respectfully.

Silas Brown on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    yeah will doesn't hate everything

only everything that you all love

Organichu on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Why are you watching the History Channel?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Upon reading your sig I have now realized where the genesis of the rave movement came from.

Exactly. I don't know if the guy said anything else that hilarious, but I've always loved that quote (and listen to mostly techno and house :P )

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited September 2010
    Sarks linked that yesterday Inq. It looks very bioshocky, but I dunno I guess I'm kind of at a loss as to what they are changing to make me want to play this one. Other then setting of course.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Best thing ever...

My mom was one of those moms that would buy the cheap k-mart version of whatever toy I wanted for Christmas because "it's all the same"

So she gets me "the little mermaid" only to discover it's like some japanime version where Ariel doesn't have shells covering her little breasteses.

Heh

Your mother bought you the little mermaid? And you wanted it?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So a shit-ton of National Geographic programs have just gone up on Netflix Instant.

Awesome.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.