As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I deal with number porting, and I might be in a position where I see the worst of it, but I've lost track of the number of times someone called their current provider just to find out about the porting process, and they cancelled the number and the customer lost it.

Don't tell your current provider you're cancelling until you already have a new phone working with the new company.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Froyo for X is rolling out! If you don't get a notification, you can get it by checking manually. Mine updated without a hitch, and it's great. Immediate changes I noticed:

Snappier performance all around. Dolphin is much faster.
    The Contacts icon was changed from blue to green (boo!).
    New apps - VZ Navigator, Quickoffice, Google Search.
    Stuff on Hulu loads, but none of the videos on the site actually play :(.
    The unrooted screen capture method using the SDK seems to be broken.

There's an update available for flash after upgrading. Hit the market and either search for it or do an update. Don't forget to get Chrome to Phone and Voice Search while you're there.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Droid 2 rooting method also works for this new X 2.2 update... so root has already been achieved!

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought you guys might enjoy these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcaNkuQhEis

I really think this is the kind of thing that weill look at in 20-30 years and go "How could they be so racist/predjudice?"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I deal with number porting, and I might be in a position where I see the worst of it, but I've lost track of the number of times someone called their current provider just to find out about the porting process, and they cancelled the number and the customer lost it.

Don't tell your current provider you're cancelling until you already have a new phone working with the new company.

From a retail position I would agree. But I've never seen anything happen, except when someone canceled their service THEN wanted to port the number ("well sorry, but you already canceled, it doesnt belong to you anymore", customer goosery insues). Don't say shit to your current provider about porting.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so ive been looking around at phones for a while now. i figure its time to upgrade my 4 year old bargain basement nokia to something a little more modern. so i got pretty excited by the epic 4g for a little bit, but then looking around i see a lot of issues cropping up on forums and such. mainly it just seems like you have to worry about manually killing apps and micromanaging the thing all the time. thats kind of a big turnoff to me, so i figured i would see if anyone here has firsthand experience one way or the other. is it a hassle, or can you get it set how you like it and not have to worry about some rogue app destroying your battery life while youre not looking?

All the bitching and moaning you read about on forums is exactly that, bitching and moaning. You're not going to need to micromanage anything, and that goes for manually killing apps to worrying about battery life. You can set it up as simple or as complicated as you want to make it and it will do everything it's supposed to do without worry.

I think based on the number of pages here that you're able to see how happy the vast majority of people are with the android phones. Just get one and don't let forum trolls stop you from enjoying it.

Allforce on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh god that model ad is amazing

Alegis on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I have something called arc, arcmedia or something like it. definitely arc. has worked well for me so far.

there's a program called ringdroid that does it

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Froyo on the X weeeeee

looks like they fixed the bug that dropped your connections when the phone switched from 3G to Wifi

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also fixed the Camera Roll issues if you had photos taken in July that was causing the app to kick you out to the selection screen.

Other than that , the new Swype keyboard (why the cosmetic change?) , and Flash now on my browser I don't see much else going on here. Oh and its nice to finally have auto-updates on apps, I was sick of having that little notification of "78 Apps Are Ready for Update" come up all the time.

Allforce on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aw man, that's great.

ooh I didn't watch the little kid one yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdlaQTS76VU&annotation_id=annotation_332230&feature=iv

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For the Captivate users out there, do a software check because Samsung has released the update for the phone. I only stepped outside to do a very unscientific test of the GPS. Before I could not lock to better than 30m accuracy, but now I can lock to 10m pretty quick.

DragonPup on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's some kind of giant update to Kies, also is the Captivate close enough to the Galaxy S that we're both going to be happy?

Just a giant Kies update, disappointed.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had my Droid 2 for about a month now, and for the life of me, I cannot get my company email on the phone to function correctly. Outgoing emails send just fine, but the Incoming only works when I go into the E-Mail Settings->Email Delivery-> and then toggle Data Push on or off (the state I leave it in does not seem to matter). Then whatever new messages I have will be delivered, and then never again until I repeat the process. I've tried setting the fetch option but seems to only successfully fetch emails once every few days on its own, and the manual refresh on the Inbox does not work either (again, it only works when I toggle the data push on or off). This is really infuriating because I am not able to get e-mails from clients when I am at a job site that has no access to our web email client (I have not tried accessing the web client from the phone, but I may very well have to if this keeps up).

I've triple checked making sure the IMAP settings are 100% correct. I have tried leaving the Data Push on and off for an extended amount of time, and emails still will not come in automatically. I usually leave the Fetch setting on 15 minutes and this does not work, putting it on manual and manually hitting refresh will not work either. Two of my co-workers that have an Incredible and a Evo 4G respectively and both get our company e-mail on their phones fine using the same settings as I have. Another co-worker that has a Droid 1 has the same issue I have. I just want to get e-mails sent to the phone correctly, I don't think that's too much to ask. :(

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mindtweakmindtweak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's some kind of giant update to Kies, also is the Captivate close enough to the Galaxy S that we're both going to be happy?

What?

The Epic 4G, Vibrant, Fascinate and Captivate are all in the Galaxy S family of phones.

I'm getting the Keis update right now as well, why is it so big at 124mb? All I want from Keis is a backup function for the phone...

mindtweak on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, so my wife is completely done with 2.2 on her incredible. Anyone have any idea how to get back to 2.1? We'll root it, hack it, whatever it takes... the phone is almost completely unusable now.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    maaaan. chrome to phone and quickoffice are nice.

I need the app to sd app I think

also nexus I couldn't find ringroid, I remember you mentioning it so I searched.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    For the Captivate users out there, do a software check because Samsung has released the update for the phone. I only stepped outside to do a very unscientific test of the GPS. Before I could not lock to better than 30m accuracy, but now I can lock to 10m pretty quick.

I did a check for software update and got the message "Could not connect to the AT&T server." So I hit check again and got this message: "Sorry, 24 hours has not elapsed since you made your last request for software update. Time before you can make a new request: 24 hrs 0 min"

SERIOUSLY, AT&T? Seriously? I get one chance PER DAY to connect to what is apparently a shitty server? Wow.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The updates are batched so only about 15k phones are added a day to not murder their servers, so it may not have been 'your turn' so to speak.

But yea, the once every 24 hours thing sucks.

DragonPup on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hmm weird issue with my wife's samsung vibrant

plugging it into her or my macbook and mounting the phone doesn't do anything, as in , it doesn't get recognized.

do you need to download anything for samsungs to mount?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mts, Settings -> Applications -> USB Settings. Change it to Ask On Connection. When she hooks it up, choose Mass Storage. Just be aware the phone won't be able to access the SD card while it's in Mass Storage mode.

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    i fixed it by turning on debugging and that worked . switching it to ask on connection still didn't recognize it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've not installed Kies on account of it not doing anything useful, is there no other way to get the update for the Galaxy S(if/when it finally rolls out)?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Alright, so my wife is completely done with 2.2 on her incredible. Anyone have any idea how to get back to 2.1? We'll root it, hack it, whatever it takes... the phone is almost completely unusable now.

Can you be more specific in what you mean by "completely unusable"? I guess I'm not understanding what the problem is here on it, is it something like "well now it's really slow compared to before" or is it as severe as "It just shuts off when I try to make a phone call"?

I've just read nothing about any problems with 2.2 on Incredible on any of the usual Droid news sites and blogs about this, makes me wonder if yours is just a faulty phone. I know you said "Well the Verizon rep said a lot of people are having issues..." which doesn't inspire much confidence in me since those people rarely know whats going on with their own products.

Hell even saying that, before you go ahead and root it and ruin the warranty if its that bad you might as well take it in to the store and show someone whats going on. Rooting it means you'll have no luck ever getting it replaced if there is something that their software caused that made the phone a brick.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mindtweak wrote: »

What?

The Epic 4G, Vibrant, Fascinate and Captivate are all in the Galaxy S family of phones.

I'm getting the Keis update right now as well, why is it so big at 124mb? All I want from Keis is a backup function for the phone...

Ya I don't know what Kies updated, but it looks the same and I don't see any new functionality and I didn't get my firmware update. So poo on you Samsung.

Maybe because I'm in Canada and on Bell I'll have to wait longer. Probably.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've not installed Kies on account of it not doing anything useful, is there no other way to get the update for the Galaxy S(if/when it finally rolls out)?

Nope you gotta install the terrible software.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How can I tell if apps like Pandora have stopped (or how do I stop them when I am done)?

Yall on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Finally figured out how to take screenshots, what a hassle. Managed to snag one before the entire Android SDK stuff just stopped working and then completely disappeared from my PC. Anyways here's what I got going right now, thought some of you might enjoy it. I change the background image pretty often but have been keeping the same basic look to the homescreen.

4 shortcuts there with custom icons, each opens up into what you expect (games, news, multimedia, tools).

Next dock screen is Web, Facebook, Twitter, and Market but I could only grab the one screenshot for now.

923a.png

Edit: Got it working again yay! Incoming photos ahoy!

Allforce on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That looks awesome.

My battery life sucks balls on my Captivate. If I sit here and text the majority of the day at work, It lasts from 730am-5pm. I'll be at about 10% by the time I get home from a regular work day. I'll send maybe 2-3 texts every 30 minutes.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the screenshot app not work for you?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.geeksoft.screenshot

All I had to do was install it and go (after being rooted, of course)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Finally figured out how to take screenshots, what a hassle. Managed to snag one before the entire Android SDK stuff just stopped working and then completely disappeared from my PC. Anyways here's what I got going right now, thought some of you might enjoy it. I change the background image pretty often but have been keeping the same basic look to the homescreen.

4 shortcuts there with custom icons, each opens up into what you expect (games, news, multimedia, tools).

Next dock screen is Web, Facebook, Twitter, and Market but I could only grab the one screenshot for now.

923a.png

Edit: Got it working again yay! Incoming photos ahoy!

link me your dock and app icons

link them right now

edit: also, where your clock widget is from, as well

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The clock widget is "d-clock widget". Seems to be pretty popular for good reason.

App icon shortcuts are from here: http://icons.mysitemyway.com/ I think they're called "Token White" or something like that.

Dock icons: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QJX3IA0

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yea i have been collecting docks and icons for a while now i just haven't had the time to sit and mess with it to make one up yet

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What battery widget is that?

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    damn allforce, you made me want to start all the way over with my phonedesktop

alright here's a specific app question since I spent an hour looking last night. when you're looking at a specific contact, if you click on their picture you get a little dialog with text/call/email/etc. options.

I want a way to have that picture and JUST that picture on my desktop and when I click it that prompt comes up. the only things I can find that do this don't want to link up with facebook pictures which ruins it for me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    makin muh desktop all inferior feelin

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LA: wrote: »
    What battery widget is that?

That's BattStatt I got from someone here. I'm curious though as I see some people have theirs listing the EXACT battery life like "FiftyThreePercent". Is that just a result of resizing the widget? I'm using the small one now so I assume if I made it larger I'd get a more detailed battery readout?

Allforce on
This discussion has been closed.