As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nick, Spongebob, Viacom, Cartoons, Violence and Political Correctness

13»

• Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is a Tom and Jerry's cartoon with Nibbles, Jerry's French nephew, which has a funny line. It is the one Musketeer episode where Jerry has Nibbles running his letters to his girl, but Nibbles has to fight off Tom at every turn. Problem is when Nibbles tells Jerry about Tom messing with him hyjinx ensue and Jerry never sees Tom until the end of the episode.

Well at one point Nibbles goes out and is attacked by Tom. Something happens and Tom gets knocked out of the picture and Jerry comes by wondering why his letter hasn't been delivered yet.

This is what happens:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9ymK_LFEo

I don't have a problem with what is said in these old cartoons. If you look at it from my perspective (I'm 33) cartoons are about the same as far as "bad" content. It's just different bad you know.

Don't know how cool it is to link this, but Cracked had a pretty funny write-up of some things they can't believe slipped past the censors. The Rocko testicle pull is in there. Some of these ARE over the top though and I cannot believe they got through.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18672_the-6-creepiest-things-ever-slipped-into-childrens-cartoons.html

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pussy isn't bad though just the meaning of that word has shifted over time. Some (old) people still use it for kitties.

And seriously, nothing will top Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Tex Avery cartoons and even Animaniacs because censorship has tightened up hard since then.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Pussy isn't bad though just the meaning of that word has shifted over time. Some (old) people still use it for kitties.

And seriously, nothing will top Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Tex Avery cartoons and even Animaniacs because censorship has tightened up hard since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5q430CpqnE

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah Total Drama Island gets awy with a lot which is surprising. Izzy also loves wailing on Owens junk to express hellos and such. :P

Still we don't have people shooting each other with real guns or too much gross out stuff like guts and all that.

You got me there though I can't think of any other cartoon with full frontal nudity (even if it is censored) on television that isn't hentai or whatever.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    It entirely depends on culture. In the US, cartoons are strictly for children and the concern for portraying violence in cartoons has risen, so what was kosher in previous decades is not any more.

That's the Animation Age Ghetto. Check out that picture of the kid and see what he's holding :winky:

I saw a perfect example of this a few months ago at Costco. Some kid was crying that he wanted and I looked over to see a 4 year-old kid walk by with a copy of Batman: Under the Red Hood. It was obvious that the parent had looked at the box, seen Batman on the cover, and immediately come to the conclusion that the vicious beating of Robin by the Joker would not be occurring in the fist five minutes of the movie.

One more example of the media not being the problem, it's the parents who have no fucking idea what their kids are watching.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Ben Affleck commented that while he was doing research for George Reeve, he learned how a little kid once came up to George while he was in his Superman costume and asked permission to shoot him. The kid was pointing a real gun at him.

That never happened. Reeves made the story up as a way to avoid doing public appearences in the Superman costume.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivzp9wmrcwE

This video makes a good point about another thing Warner Bros did with the Bugs Bunny IP a few years ago. Loonatics Unleashed I think it was called. I thought it was stupid.

Make cartoons extreme and violent but don't involve sex or real weapons. It's such a double standard.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It entirely depends on culture. In the US, cartoons are strictly for children and the concern for portraying violence in cartoons has risen, so what was kosher in previous decades is not any more.

That's the Animation Age Ghetto. Check out that picture of the kid and see what he's holding :winky:

I saw a perfect example of this a few months ago at Costco. Some kid was crying that he wanted and I looked over to see a 4 year-old kid walk by with a copy of Batman: Under the Red Hood. It was obvious that the parent had looked at the box, seen Batman on the cover, and immediately come to the conclusion that the vicious beating of Robin by the Joker would not be occurring in the fist five minutes of the movie.

One more example of the media not being the problem, it's the parents who have no fucking idea what their kids are watching.

They don't have a clue.

I walk in a cousin's birthday party, there's the dad, about to play Dante's Inferno in a house full of children. I stopped him before he got to the title screen though, so no damage was done.

And again in New York, a different uncle with three PS3's in the same house. One for the living room, and another two for each child's room.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They don't have a clue.

I walk in a cousin's birthday party, there's the dad, about to play Dante's Inferno in a house full of children. I stopped him before he got to the title screen though, so no damage was done.

And again in New York, a different uncle with three PS3's in the same house. One for the living room, and another two for each child's room.

Perhaps they're aware, and have a different idea as to what is suitable for their kids then you?

Leitner on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    They don't have a clue.

Perhaps they're aware, and have a different idea as to what is suitable for their kids then you?

I hope that's sarcasm, because I met them, and no. They're oblivious. He didn't know what he was playing. I sat there and explained the rating system. He never played Dante's Inferno before, and had no grasp of the rating system.

I didn't bother with the other dad. They got those Ps3's off the street somewhere and all they would play was sports, and that wasn't as urgent as the first example.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's an action cartoon that's airing currently and is aimed at fifteen and under demographic?

Titan symbi-whatever by Genndy Tartakovsky. They canceled the Spider-Man and Wolverine cartoons. Are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still on the air?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As a kid I think I always recognized and new the difference between the "real" violence and the over-the-top stuff. Of course I always liked the more real stuff because I thought it made the cartoon more "adult" I guess, which is probably why I started to gravitate more towards anime.

There was definitely some serious stuff though. In X-Men, Morph is killed off in the first episode, when actually killing a character for good was pretty serious (though I think he ended up coming back later in the series). There was also the episode of Batman where he is hallucinating because of the Scarecrow, and thinks he runs over someone in the Batmobile. They definitely treated that more seriously than when he beat down random baddies.

The one that always got me though was the G.I. Joe movie. Duke gets impaled by some snake thing and it is pretty brutal. This was wayyyy out of place for a show where no one ever got shot and all that seemed to happen would be a tank or something blew up with the passengers clearly escaping before it happened.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's an action cartoon that's airing currently and is aimed at fifteen and under demographic?

Titan symbi-whatever by Genndy Tartakovsky. They canceled the Spider-Man and Wolverine cartoons. Are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still on the air?
    A Samurai Jack feature film is currently in pre-production, and is being produced by J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions and Frederator Films.[13][14][15]
    His newest creation, Sym-Bionic Titan, premiered on September 17, 2010 on Cartoon Network.

It would appear he's busy making a movie, a Samurai Jack movie, which is excellent, and a new show on CN.

As for TMNT, the new animated one is still on the air as far as I know in re-runs, I doubt by now that it's still actively being produced, it's been a while.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shaggy wrote: »
    The one that always got me though was the G.I. Joe movie. Duke gets impaled by some snake thing and it is pretty brutal. This was wayyyy out of place for a show where no one ever got shot and all that seemed to happen would be a tank or something blew up with the passengers clearly escaping before it happened.

A few things about that movie.

Duke was suppose to die, he actually did die. BUT Transformers was released first which had two effects, it bombed and Optimus died which caused kids to cry and parents to rage big time. So Hasbro ordered Duke to go into a coma instead of dying which he came out of by the end of the movie was over five minutes later. Also they changed a scene where Zarana is changing out of a disguise, originally she would have been back on and topless/braless but they recolored it so she was wearing a shirt later.

If you look at a recent cartoon that got away with a few things I suggest Avatar: The Last Airbender, true they could not outright kill people but they did a few things that raised my eyebrow. In one episode a character remarks one guy "must have pissed himself", in another Aang basically says that lying can be a good thing which goes against many cartoons saying how bad lying is and Katarra even steals a water scroll and aside from being chased by the pirates that owned it no one really cares about her little bad deed. None of that sounds like serious stuff but when you look at how most cartoons are these days and have been for a long time it can be surprising to see, especially in an American made show for 'kids'.

Someone mentioned some WWII cartoons that were used for propaganda back in the day, the Japanese did them as well, I tried to find it but couldn't but basically on youtube is one Japanese cartoon which has evil Micky Mice attacking Japan only to be wiped out by the heroic Japanese myths/story/fable type characters in triumph.

Cade on