As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this is because half-orcs are the master race, ironzerg

we've been over this

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: Optimus, as for your question about 2nd-level wizard spells that deal damage, there aren't many but one in particular hits like a truck:
    [Melf's] Acid Arrow - 2d4 damage for 1 round + 1/3 levels
    Flaming Sphere - 2d6 damage that is guided around, 1 round/lvl
    Scorching Ray - 4d6 fire damage/ray, +1 ray/four levels

Just remember that acid arrow and scorching ray require touch attacks. Of course, touch attacks against creatures have laughably low AC defenses (unless by some oddity you're facing a force-based creature) so it's not likely the wizard will miss.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Rius, you are the most amazing person.

I Made you a Paragon Path!

Rius on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I really wish I had my old books, because I know there are better single target damage spells than Lightning Bolt.

No need!

www.d20srd.org

It is the best thing. I still use it frequently because it is the best thing. It covers only 3.5 rules, naturally.
    Yeah, I was talking about older editions. The real D&D genes skipped that particular generation. :P

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pfft, 3/3.5 was great :P

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Goliath
    Rogue, Ruthless Ruffian
    16 Str, 16 Dex
    Goliath Greatweapon Prowess

2d4+3+3+2+2d6 as a first level At Will attack.

Glorious

I am a fan of the Ruthless Ruffian

Greatly underestimated Rogue build IMO.

Some people flip their shit over +2 proficiency weapons that are also not daggers but man... look at that at will attack.

It probably also has the rattling keyword.

But wouldn't a Half-Orc Brutal Scoundrel with 18 Str 18 Dex (and assume one feat, Backstabber) do:

1d4+4+2d8+4

Which would be about the same damage, with +3 more to hit (Weapon Talent/+1 Dex/+1 Prof)?
    If we're spotting the half orc an extra feat (prof: greatclub) why wouldn't we spot the goliath the same (Backstabber)?

Edit: Misread.

Why are we doing it? Because it's a giant dude sneak attacking with a gorram greatclub, that's why. I thought that would be obvious.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Goliath
    Rogue, Ruthless Ruffian
    16 Str, 16 Dex

Glorious

Some people flip their shit over +2 proficiency weapons that are also not daggers but man... look at that at will attack.

But wouldn't a Half-Orc Brutal Scoundrel with 18 Str 18 Dex (and assume one feat, Backstabber) do:

1d4+4+2d8+4

Which would be about the same damage, with +3 more to hit (Weapon Talent/+1 Dex/+1 Prof)?
    If we're spotting the half orc an extra feat (prof: greatclub) why wouldn't we spot the goliath the same (Backstabber)?

Why are we doing it? Because it's a giant dude sneak attacking with a gorram greatclub, that's why. I thought that would be obvious.

There needs to be appreciation for big meatheads that hit things with large objects.

I dream of a party entirely made of Goliaths.

Constantly smashing everything.

Solving skill challenges with creative smashings.

And at epic level, clubbing the Universe into submission.

All Of The Universes.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Goliath
    Rogue, Ruthless Ruffian
    16 Str, 16 Dex

Glorious

1d4+4+2d8+4

There needs to be appreciation for big meatheads that hit things with large objects.

I dream of a party entirely made of Goliaths.

All Of The Universes.
    81560-186971-superboy-prime_super.png

I would totally play it. I love theme games.

Like the time it just so happened that our party had an average of 15 Str, 15 Cha, and 9 Wis/Int.

First and likely only adventuring guild that moonlighted as an all nude male revue.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've actually toyed with a similar idea, Dani, though mine was more setting up a frontier in a more typical D&D world.

With dwarven gunsmiths and Half Orc barbarians with flintlocks and such.

And an Eladrin Pinkerton agency.

This remindes me of how I would love to make/see released a setting the borrowed heavly from Arcanum; Magic vs. Tech Victorian Steampunk world that (Arcanum spoilers)
    Had been going back and forth between Magic-domanate and Tech-domanate for thousands (or possibly even hundreds of thousands of years, and only a few people are aware of it

I love that game's world so much...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, because of Encounters tonight (which I'll write up tomorrow on my blog; plug plug plug) I ended up picking up Heroes of the Fallen Lands. Too bad it's three books back in the line of things I'm trying to read at the moment.

Encounters also introduced my 3.5 loving girlfriend to Essentials, and she was pretty pleased with what she saw. She thinks that there's way too many powers in 4e, and the more focused bent to Essentials characters was more up her alley. So.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ravensmuse wrote: »
    Encounters also introduced my 3.5 loving girlfriend to Essentials, and she was pretty pleased with what she saw. She thinks that there's way too many powers in 4e, and the more focused bent to Essentials characters was more up her alley. So.

I'm not making a statement about worth with regards to "Normal 4e" and "Essentials 4e" when I say Heroes of the Fallen Lands felt more like the D&D I played growing up.

With regard to lots of people who were lost in the move to 4e I think this may be the thing to bring them back with.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm not making a statement about worth with regards to "Normal 4e" and "Essentials 4e" when I say Heroes of the Fallen Lands felt more like the D&D I played growing up.

With regard to lots of people who were lost in the move to 4e I think this may be the thing to bring them back with.
    Essentials is really hitting the nostalgia centers of my brain.

It does kind of feel like a return to form in a lot of ways.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

All Of The Universes.

that ^^^ reminds me of this:

http://twitter.com/feministhulk

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh my god

this is the kind of thing that could inspire a character
    SMASH IS SO AWESOME / HULK CANNOT EXPRESS IT IN / SPACE OF TWEET HAIKU

fuggin genius man

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh my god

this is the kind of thing that could inspire a character
    SMASH IS SO AWESOME / HULK CANNOT EXPRESS IT IN / SPACE OF TWEET HAIKU

fuggin genius man
    HULK TAKE MID-DAY POST-SMASH NAP. HULK RESIST SLEEP SCHEDULE DICTATED BY WESTERN CAPITALISM. ALSO, SMASH MAKE SLEEPY.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, an all goliath party could be awesome. Almost as awesome as all dwarf.

streever on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man. I've been running the occasional pickup game the landlord and some kids. They're used to AD&D or have never played D&D at all, and teaching kids is tremendously difficult. I could never keep them interested, only the magic-users were consistantly relying on powers, no one really knew what was going on, and the landlord would just complain and complain. I was about ready to give up.

And then I remembered D&D Essentials. I'm gonna run that next time, because as I understand it, that's the system that's meant to introduce new players as well as help bridge the gap for the old school.

Thank you, Mike Mearls. You may have ruined D&D, but you saved my game.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    streever wrote: »

All Warforged Party... lead by a Warlord with the Legendary General ED. :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wasn't that a pbp?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

There is actually a monster in the Dark Sun creature catalog that gets a pretty hefty damage bonus against warforged (due to having an anti-construct bonus). Not to mention how much damage it does anyway, so it's adding insult onto a large amount of injury. It can probably knock every character to negative bloodied easily.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

There is actually a monster in the Dark Sun creature catalog that gets a pretty hefty damage bonus against warforged (due to having an anti-construct bonus). Not to mention how much damage it does anyway, so it's adding insult onto a large amount of injury. It can probably knock every character to negative bloodied easily.

Is that the rampager?

Hachface on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

Is that the rampager?

I think so. I can only imagine how hilarious that monster would look damage wise scaled to level 30. It already does ridiculous damage for its level (especially when bloodied). It actually makes me somewhat regret the lack of warforged/shardminds, because it's basically the ultimate "Screw you" to those races.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think so. I can only imagine how hilarious that monster would look damage wise scaled to level 30. It already does ridiculous damage for its level (especially when bloodied). It actually makes me somewhat regret the lack of warforged/shardminds, because it's basically the ultimate "Screw you" to those races.

Maybe that is the developer's deviously subtle way to punish players who want to play non-default races in Athas. :lol:

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man, an all goliath party could be awesome. Way more awesome than all dwarf, which would be unspeakably lame.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010

Maybe that is the developer's deviously subtle way to punish players who want to play non-default races in Athas. :lol:
    I have a reflavored Shard Mind in one of my Dark Sun games.

I look forward to his encounter with the Ravager, especially given the two of them having roughly the same end goal (the destruction of virtually everything).

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010

I look forward to his encounter with the Ravager, especially given the two of them having roughly the same end goal (the destruction of virtually everything).

What's the deal with the reflavored shardmind, again?

Some kind of sociopathic earth spirit?

Hachface on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With how many powers the Rogue has that debuff the target (blind, stun, daze, etc) I'm a little sad that the Thief has no such options. You can knock prone on MBAs, but that's about it.

That's really the only thing that sucks for me about Thief vs Rogue. It'd be nice if Backstab could be improved by feats to apply those conditions.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

What's the deal with the reflavored shardmind, again?

Some kind of sociopathic earth spirit?
    Sand storm spirit, actually.

But he basically wants to become a primal sorceror king and rule the tablelands from the throne he will be building out of the bones of all sapient life on Athas.

But right now he's bound to a piece of jewelry that is being worn by a wife of Nibenay, played by my wife.

So there's some stress there.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010

But he basically wants to become a primal sorceror king and rule the tablelands from the throne he will be building out of the bones of all sapient life on Athas.

But right now he's bound to a piece of jewelry that is being worn by a wife of Nibenay, played by my wife.

I really really dig this party.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Conrad would fit right in.

We're headed to Raam to foment open rebellion. Should be fun.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I kind of touched on this last night, but I wanted to continue along with the thought -

I wasn't much impressed by the fighter I picked up last night for Encounters. Oh boy - I have two stances, and I can either stand there and be a wall, or I can...stand there and be a wall. *Yawn*. If I want to have actual hitty type abilities, I'd have to go with slayer - or I could just, y'know, play a fsking regular fighter. Myself, I'll stick to the stuff in the PHBs.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, came away from Encounters with a very different impression. Like I said before, she's a 3.* holdout; while she likes the characters she's built so far for 4e (a beastlord ranger, an assassin, and for my game, a barbarian) she's always mentioning that it always feels like she's "Super Saiyan" and has all of these over-the-top-kewl-powers that she feels overwhelmed choosing between when it comes her turn.

So last night she picked up the slayer and had a ball with it. The abilities - you hit things, either more consistantly, or more powerfully - worked out for her. The fact that everything keyed off of basic attack was easy for her to grasp as well. To her, fighters and other non-magical types just hit things; where she understood tactically what powers were for, they still didn't quite click for her. Essentials though? Hit the right buttons. She was (gently) pushing me last night to pick up Heroes of the Fallen Lands, and started thumbing through it when we got home.

So on that, Wizards has made a convert, and it makes me glad. If Essentials manages to quell the fanboy jihad some, I'll be glad about that too. I'm not much impressed by the Essentials characters, but I can see where it'll help bring more people in.

But seriously, two books for everything that's in one book (PHB)? No thank you.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Conrad would fit right in.

We're headed to Raam to foment open rebellion. Should be fun.

Conrad would take every arcane defiling feat.

Boy would defile all the time.

Even when he didn't need to. Especially when he didn't need to.
    Wouldn't even feel bad about it.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you're going to defile you might as well go all out.

Right up until your party-mates stab you to death in your sleep.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's the way my party seems to be going. 3 primals, 1 psion, and that one guy that's going to end up dead. Presuming we ever escape the weird hive slave city that undergirds the Nibenay arena of course.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well in my Dark Sun PbP a Wife of Nibenay sent to infiltrate Tyrian ziggurat construction fluffed two defiling rolls in front of High Templar Tithian, who is now blackmailing her into assisting his plots...she's not dead yet, but he is definitely watching her.

Owen Edwards on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But seriously, two books for everything that's in one book (PHB)? No thank you.

Do you know what confuses me about this attitude? The two books are each about half the price of the one book. I don't understand finding quantity somehow offensive.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well in my Dark Sun PbP [strike]a Wife of Nibenay sent to infiltrate Tyrian ziggurat construction[/strike] everyone fluffed [strike]two defiling[/strike] almost all their rolls in [strike]front of High Templar Tithian,who is now blackmailing her into assisting his plots[/strike] combat ...[strike]she's [/strike] they're not dead yet, but [strike]he is definitely watching her[/strike] but they will be. Oh yes. They will be.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well in my Dark Sun PbP [strike]a Wife of Nibenay sent to infiltrate Tyrian ziggurat construction[/strike] everyone fluffed [strike]two defiling[/strike] almost all their rolls in [strike]front of High Templar Tithian,who is now blackmailing her into assisting his plots[/strike] combat ...[strike]she's [/strike] they're not dead yet, but [strike]he is definitely watching her[/strike] but they will be. Oh yes. They will be.

I get the sense my players are developing a dislike for me.

Owen Edwards on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    More like any dice that have been near your game.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, an all goliath party could be awesome. Way more awesome than all dwarf, which would be unspeakably lame.

Words can not describe how wrong you are. Dwarfs are awesome.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck