As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Tourney] Blood Bowl: Matches resume January 1st.

npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
[PA Tourney] Blood Bowl
Blood_Bowl_1.jpg

Hi everybody. You can call me npc and today I'd love it if we could all get together for a few games of BLOOD BOWL!

Table of Contents

OP
What is Blood Bowl?
Why LP Blood Bowl?
So what’s the plan?
Tourney prizes?
So how do I participate?
How will the Tourney play out?
How will the LP team work?
RULES

Second Post
The Teams
Ability Descriptions
Our Team
Current Topics Up For Vote

Third Post
Tourney Rankings.
Let's Play Blood Bowl Videos

What is Blood Bowl?
Blood Bowl is an ultra violent team sport, based on the Warhammer fantasy world. Build up your team with Orcs, Elves, Dwarfs and many other fantasy creatures before jumping into the bloodiest arenas!
Blood Bowl was originally created by Jervis Johnson and Games Workshop in 1987. The board game, a parody of the Warhammer world and American Football, met with success in the 80s and the 90s. The world’s largest Tabletop Wargames company continues to sell the game's miniatures today. Also, its creator never stopped improving and enriching Blood Bowl’s game system and universe with several rule changes.
Today, Blood Bowl remains very popular around the world thanks to a large community of players and numerous dedicated fansites. As for old Blood Bowl players, they have unforgettable memories of all the passionate games they used to play. Throughout the years, the original Blood Bowl game has earned a legendary status.

The game is a combination of a tactical game and a sports game. The basics are extremely simple: two teams, one ball. The team that carries the ball into the opponent's end zone scores a touchdown, the team with the most touchdowns at the end of the game is the winner.
However, it’s how you decide to do this that makes things interesting, the ends justify the means! It’s not just the players you have at your disposal either. You can bribe the referee’s to look the other way as you cripple or trample annoying opponents and hire illegal wizards to give you a hand directly from the crowd… Blood Bowl severely tests the finest tacticians' strategies.
There are many races to accommodate every player’s profile and even more strategies for experimenting. Winning a game requires a strong game-sense and a lot of self-control.

Cyanide Studios released a digital version for Xbox, PC, PSP, and the Nintendo DS in 2009. It came with a compliment of nine different teams (which will be listed below) and all the excitement of the original. It comes with two game modes and for this LP/Tourney we will be playing in classic mode just like the wonderful tabletop game.

Why LP Blood Bowl?

I'd like this game in general to get more exposure and hopefully encourage some of you to give it a try. I've enjoyed it since I was a wee lad and love how well it has held up with its shift to modern electronic gaming. It's great fun and October 28th is the release date of the legendary edition which will include the remaining races and rules!
...and so I have some people to play with. :cry:

So what’s the plan?

This thread will (hopefully) serve as a dual Let's Play and Tourney set up. I/we will be playing the Dark Elf edition through Steam. The Let's Play will consist of a thread voted team, in race/team/skills, which will play against all comers and people from the tourney. Details of these are below and I will keep a thorough log of the teams’ progress.

Did you say prizes?

Why yes, I did. For the players who come in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd there will be the following prizes.
1st place gets $20!
2nd place gets $10!
3rd places gets $5!

The LP team will play exhibition matches against all comers. At the end of the Tourney I will play those of the top three who wish it who will be given an additional $5 gratuity.

As an added bonus, just for participating in the thread, you the viewer will be able to enter a raffle for a free copy of Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition from yours truly! Players in the tournament are not excluded from the raffle and voting on the teams’ progression earns you additional entries! At the end of the tournament one lucky forumites’ name will be randomly selected to win. Woo!

So how do I participate?

All votes please mark your post with the following:
!vote
Any pertinent voting topics here.

How will the Tourney play out?

The tournament will be an elimination brackets style tourney with a losers bracket. The winner of the losers bracket will make it to the finals of the winners bracket to compete for 2nd and 3rd place. Like this :
tourney4draft.jpg

The teams will start out fresh at team value 1000 (no Team value 2000 or anything please) and a time table of one game every two weeks with final results being posted on Sunday evenings.

How will the LP team work?

First I need you to pick a race/team, team color, and team name after which I will make team logos and starting rosters available for another vote. Below are our options as listed by the game plus my spoilered opinions of them and picture of players. When that is done we can either vote for names or start a list of forum user names and use them in order. When it comes time to level up a players stats I will make descriptions of each available ability here along with a suggestion as to what would fit.

Video updates should come once every two weeks along with match results from the tourney. After which I will ask for votes regarding any skill picks, use of money earned, and any other decisions that may come up with the team.

RULES

1: DON'T BE DICK. This is Blood Bowl so players on each team are going to get hurt but coaches are expected to uphold a fun and mannerly demeanor when dealing with their fellow coaches. Trash talking is fine as long as you don't take it to an hurtful extreme.
2: Game victor in event of a tie will be decided by a thread vote. In the event of another tie in the vote I will decide the victor based on final stats. Please take screen-shots of the end game screens and PM them to me.
3: If your team cannot continue due to injury/lack of time you are out of the tournament and the opposing team will advance. Sorry, but those are the breaks and sometimes the dice/time is not on your side. If you care to appeal/adjust a timeline I ask that you PM your thoughts to me rather than in the thread.

Please !vote now!:?:?

npc.EXE on

• npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Teams:

Chaos
    Chaos.gif
    Chaos teams are not noted for the subtlety of their game play. A simple drive up the centre of the pitch, maiming and injuring as many opposing players as possible is about the limit of their game plan. They rarely, if ever, worry about such minor considerations as picking up the ball and scoring touchdowns. Not while there are any able-bodied players left on the opposing team, anyway.

Players:
    chaosbeastman.jpgchaoswarrior.jpgchaosminotaur.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Chaos are probably my favorite team. They aren't as durable as Dwarves or as bashy as Orcs but they have a nice mix of durability, mobility, and punchy that really gets the job done. In late game they can be nigh unstoppable. They are all muscle, hair, and aggression.

Dark Elves
    Dark-Elves.gif
    Evil beyond belief, skilled without doubt, the Dark Elves take to the pitch to show the world their superiority. Dark Elf teams prefer a malevolent and spiteful running game over the passing of their goodly cousins. Backed up by the ruthless Witch Elves and dangerous assassins, a Dark Elf team has all the tools to power through rather than around any opposition line.

Players:
    delflineman.jpgdelfrunner.jpgdelfblitzer.jpgdelfassassin.jpgdelfwitchelf.jpg
    My thoughts:
    The Dark Elves are probably my second favorite passing team behind the Lizardmen. They are not quite as fast as their wooded cousins but they make up for it with a slight advantage in durability and backhanded tactics. In general through I don't care much for the elf teams. I like to think of them as prissy backstabbers.

Dwarfs
    Dwarves.gif
    Dwarfs are ideal Blood Bowl players, being compact, tough, well-armoured and having a stubborn knack of refusing to die! Most successful Dwarf teams work to the principle that if they can massacre all the other team's best players and wear down the rest, then there won't be anybody left to stop them scoring touchdowns!

Players:
    dwarfblocker.jpgdwarfblitzer.jpgdwarfrunner.jpgdwarftrollslayer.jpgdwarfdeathroller.jpg
    My thoughts:
    I HATE playing as and against Dwarfs. They are durable as hell and hard to knock down. They have special equipment that they can use to devastating effect. Yet they are slow and make for some of the most boring matches I have ever had the displeasure to take part it. I less than humbly request you do NOT vote for these little gits. They play like a team of drunken industrial toasters.

Goblins
    Goblins.gif
    A Goblin team's game plan owes much more to hope than potential. Goblins make quite good catchers because they are small and agile, but the art of throwing is sadly lost to them. While the chances of them blocking anything larger than a Halfling are remote to say the least. Still, this never seems to bother Goblin players, and occasionally the use of a particularly devious secret weapon will even allow a Goblin team to win a match.

Players:
    goblingoblin.jpggoblingtroll.jpggoblinloony.jpggoblinfanatic.jpggoblinpogoer.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Do you like to keep your players? Then don't play Goblins. They get absolutely wrecked by the more punch happy teams and if you're often unlucky (like me) 3/4 of your team will be out with injuries before the end of the first half. OW. I like to think of them as a gimmick team. You can literally throw your players down the pitch and some of your specialized players run around with chainsaws or pogo sticks and are good for challenge/laugh. We can try them but I'm not promising any gold. This games deadly comic relief.

Humans
    Humans.gif
    Although Human teams do not have the individual strength or outstanding abilities available to other races, they do not suffer from any outstanding weaknesses either. This makes Human teams extremely flexible, equally at home running the ball, passing it, or ignoring it and pounding the opposition into the turf instead.

Players:
    humanblitzer.jpghumancatcher.jpghumanlineman.jpghumanthrower.jpghumanogre.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Human teams early on I can sum up with one word. AVERAGE. Thankfully, with experience they can be tailor suited as a power house in one field or a better than normal jack of all trades. As for their aesthetics? I find it kind of boring to just play as humans. Better to be looking at a freak show of a team then just Victorian footballers. Like watching the Swiss Guard unwind.

Lizardmen
    Lizardmen.gif
    Lizardmen Mage Priests were already teaching Blood Bowl thousands of years before it was discovered by the dwarf, Roze-El. Therefore, it is not a surprise that Lizardmen are still playing Blood Bowl today. Lustria's teams subtly combine power and dexterity allowing them to stand up against powerful teams like Chaos and to match the Skaven running game.

Players:
    lizardmenskink.jpglizardmensaurus.jpglizardmenkroxigor.jpg
    My thoughts:
    I think Lizardmen are a great team... when it all goes according to plan. They have players that are hard to take down and hit hard back while having fast little guys that are good at dodging/passing the ball down the pitch. Sadly the big guys are less than agile and the little guys can't give/take the pain at all. Like watching your python fight a weasel.

Orcs
    Orcs.gif
    Orcs have been playing Blood Bowl since the game was invented, and Orc teams are amongst the most renowned in the leagues. They are tough and hard-hitting, grinding down the opposition's line to create gaps for their Blitzers to exploit.

Players:
    orclineman.jpgorcblitzer.jpgorcthrower.jpgorcgoblin.jpgorctroll.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Orcs are pretty slow but they hit hard and often. They have special catcher and the like but most play them as pure bashing. They are better than Dwarfs for me in that they have some options rather than just one. Also, their cheerleaders horrify me. ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS!

Skaven
    Skaven.gif
    They may not be all that strong, they certainly aren't tough, but boy oh boy are Skaven fast! Many an opponent has been left in the starting blocks as fast-moving Skaven players scamper through a gap in the line and run in for a lightning fast touchdown.

Players:
    skavenlineman.jpgskaventhrower.jpgskavengutterrunner.jpgskavenstormvermin.jpgskavenratogre.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Skaven. Holy crap Skaven. A team made up of walking/talking ratmen. Their majority players don't hit hard and can't really take a hit but their replacements prices are nice and cheap. They are quite fast but lack any real passing game (IMO) early on. We would lose a lot of players this way but it'd be great schadenfreude to watch. Team furry.

Wood Elves
    Wood-Elves.gif
    For Wood Elves the Long pass is everything, even more so than their High Elf cousins, and all of their effort goes into being an expert at throwing or receiving. No Wood Elf worth his salt is going to be weighed down by extra Armour and be forced to lurk about, attempting to knock opposing players over. Instead they rely on their natural athletic ability to keep them out of trouble, which is normally enough. It takes a very agile or lucky opponent to lay a hand on a Wood Elf.

Players:
    welflineman.jpgwelfthrower.jpgwelfcatcher.jpgwelfwardancer.jpgwefltreeman.jpg
    My thoughts:
    Like it says above passing is everything to a Wood Elves team. They have excellent mobility and a propensity for dodge that is almost unmatched. That being said they are not good at taking hits and their players are as expensive as hell. They do have War Dancers however which are probably the finest blitzers in the game. I'm not very good with them. Prissy tree huggers.

Ability Descriptions

I will post these once they become pertinent.

Our Team
    dinosaurs.jpg
    Plus two Re-Rolls & a Apothecary

Current Topics Up For Vote

No current topics up for vote.

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010
    Tourney Roster

Current competitors:
    crucialityfactor
    TheRapsids-2.png
    +2 Rerolls

Lykouragh
    BMC0R.jpg
    +3 rerolls, +1 fan factor

SF_Dhalsim
    ShaubonmyJohnson
    Skaven
    Couldn't find the pic file so I just decided to list it out.

Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Lineman
    Thrower
    Thrower
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Gutter Runner
    Storm Vermin
    Storm Vermin

2 Re-rolls 1 Apothecary 2 Cheerleaders
    XxKhrushchevxX

ebotastic
    BloodBowl_008.jpg
    +3 rerolls +1 apothecary
    My steam ID is 'eboll'.

precisionk
    The Dirty Hambones!
    Goblin Team
    team1.png
    team2.png
    Steam and Blood Bowl ID are precisionk

Zombie Hero
    Beanbag Breakers
    4 Blitzers
    1 Runner
    6 Linemen
    2 Rerolls
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993323832
    BB Coach: ZH-kuvl

Ketar
    Wood Elves
    10 line elves
    1 wardancer
    and whatever the rerolls and ff work out to.

nstf
    Dark Elves
    Standard start 4 blitz, 7 line, 2 rr's

tourney4draft.jpg

Let's Play Videos

Intro Cinematics
    Example Gameplay
    Match One

Holy Crap, we have IRC capabilities for free play?
    Kay wrote: »
    server: irc.slashnet.org/6667
    channel: #PABBL

Alternately, use whichever server is closest to you from the list below.

moo.slashnet.org (California, United States)
    pinky.slashnet.org (California, United States)
    zoklet.slashnet.org (London, UK)
    Edit: This webclient seems to work ok: http://www.slashnet.org/webclient/PABBL

npc.EXE on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    As an added bonus, just for participating in the thread, you the viewer will be able to enter a raffle for a free copy of Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition from yours truly!

Sweet, nice touch dude.

I don't own this game but I'll be watching this anyway.

joshofalltrades on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just want to get stuck in wit da Boyz! Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks!!!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote

I would love to see a Lizardmen team. They have a really unique team dynamic with their mixture of bashy dudes and the super fast skinks. Should provide the thread with a good balance awesome play and heartbreaking failure. As you said, when everything goes to plan they are 2nd to none. But when things go wrong...

Make them the tan that is 4th down in the yellow row.

I'll probably sign up for the tourney as well, not sure about what race yet though.

crucialityfactor on
    edited September 2010
    As an added bonus, just for participating in the thread, you the viewer will be able to enter a raffle for a free copy of Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition from yours truly!
    Sweet, nice touch dude.
    I don't own this game but I'll be watching this anyway.

Sweet, every viewer is appreciated. Care to vote? :P
    I'll probably sign up for the tourney as well, not sure about what race yet though.

I look forward to your challenge. :mrgreen:

Vote spoiler:
    !vote

I would love to see a Lizardmen team. They have a really unique team dynamic with their mixture of bashy dudes and the super fast skinks. Should provide the thread with a good balance awesome play and heartbreaking failure. As you said, when everything goes to plan they are 2nd to none. But when things go wrong...

Make them the tan that is 4th down in the yellow row.
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    I just want to get stuck in wit da Boyz! Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks, Orks!!!

Team:
    Orcs- 1
    Lizardman- 1

Color:
    Yellow (or rather tan)- 1

Name:
    None yet. Perhaps I should wait until we have a team picked. :wink:

Please keep them !votes coming!

npc.EXE on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sweet, every viewer is appreciated. Care to vote? :P

Sure.

!vote Dark Elves

joshofalltrades on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !Vote Skaven.

Sinister machinations...

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !Vote Goblins!

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, I would vote Goblins, but then I actually might feel sort of bad for you.

Instead I'll !vote Chaos.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna wait until the Legendary Edition before getting this, but I'll throw in a !Vote for Chaos.

And then, if there's a vote on every level up, I'm going to pick mutations. Every time.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, I would vote Goblins, but then I actually might feel sort of bad for you.

Vote however you want, I can try and make them work. :P
    ...if there's a vote on every level up, I'm going to pick mutations. Every time.

Extra arms, two heads, and tentacles for everybody!

So I did some playtesting last night to see if I could still play acceptably using less bash-happy teams.
    testas.jpg
    testyelves.jpg

I'd say it turned out pretty well.

Current vote results:

Team:
    Chaos- 2
    Orcs- 1
    Lizardmen- 1
    Dark Elves- 1
    Skaven- 1
    Goblins- 1

Color:

Name:
    I've decided to lump this in with the vote on team composition and logo. I'll update accordingly.

npc.EXE on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't actually own this game, but I'm gonna !vote Lizardmen.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My heart cannot choose between Lizardmen and Dark Elves. Throw me in for whichever of the two draws more votes.

Mad Mac on
  • NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote Goblins

NebulousQ on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote Dark Elves

JohnDoe on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote chaos

I'll reinstall and play in the tournament!

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    Mad Mac wrote: »
    My heart cannot choose between Lizardmen and Dark Elves. Throw me in for whichever of the two draws more votes.

I shall keep this in mind. If I forget please remind me. :mrgreen:
    nstf wrote: »
    I'll reinstall and play in the tournament!

Fantastic news! I really need more players. Only got two so far. :P

Team:
    Chaos- 3
    Dark Elves- 2
    Lizardmen- 2
    Goblins- 2
    Orcs- 1
    Skaven- 1

Color:

Current tallies seem to forecast Tan painted Beastmen raging down the line of scrimmage but it is still anyones game.

I am keeping track of the raffle as well. I'm so excited I'm almost Giddy!

Edit: I figure it was unfair to ask you for color choices without providing the options so....
    thecolorsdukethecolors.jpg

Also, to help some of you on the fence I will now take the time to describe the cheerleaders! :winky:
    Chaos: They have Human women ball and chained to the sideline with a black eye waving severed heads like pom poms. Domestic abuse is never a laughing matter.

Dark Elves: Dark Elf women in black two piece bikinis and knee high boots waving pom poms. With jiggle physics. :winky:

Dwarfs: Their cheerleaders are drunken male dwarfs rabble rousing and drunkenly falling off the beer kegs they stand upon. Laughable.

Goblins: Goblins are dressed like normal human cheerleaders bouncing on their squig mounts. Humorous.

Humans: Human cheerleaders. Meh.

Lizardmen: Skinks chant and pray on the sideline wearing ceremonial Incan robes. Kind cute.

Orks: Okay, so for the game version Ork cheerleaders wear robes and pound on drums... in the table top... this:
    bb2_or12.jpg
    Or worse. *shudder*

Skaven: If I remember correctly there are just skaven cheering out there. Not very memorable.

Wood Elves: Some hippy looking elves do acrobatics with bouquets as pom poms. Jiggle physics included. Eh.

npc.EXE on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, and I want the team to be green.

I guess 2nd column, 2nd from the bottom.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    npcccccccccccc!

It'll be interesting to see how this progresses, I'll try to keep up best I can in spite of work and study.

!vote Chaos

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never played this game either, when it was on sale on Steam I checked out a review and it didn't make a strong case for it. I always thought it looked fun or entertaining.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited September 2010
    Since it's looking like Chaos, and having them wear red ("THE BLOOD OF THEIR ENEMIES!!1!one!") is cliché, I'll !vote for that shade of purple that's Row 4, Column 7.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited September 2010
    I've never played this game either, when it was on sale on Steam I checked out a review and it didn't make a strong case for it. I always thought it looked fun or entertaining.

Oh, it is great fun, even when you lose horribly. :oops:
    It'll be interesting to see how this progresses, I'll try to keep up best I can in spite of work and study.

No worries. Once we get started in the LP proper I should have an update once a week and offer up three to four days per level up vote so you should have plenty of time. :mrgreen:
    Since it's looking like Chaos, and having them wear red ("THE BLOOD OF THEIR ENEMIES!!1!one!") is cliché...

But... but... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD BLARGHALRGL!

Team:
    Chaos- 4
    Dark Elves- 2
    Lizardmen- 2
    Goblins- 2
    Orcs- 1
    Skaven- 1

Color:
    Green- 1
    Purple- 1

npc.EXE on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, I'm so in for this.

!Sign up with an Orc team, I will get name/roster/etc posted tonight when I get home.

Edit- I have my copy straight from Cyanide, not from Steam, but the servers are the same, right?

Lykouragh on
    edited September 2010
    I'll do my sign up stuff tonight, probably dark elves or skaven, 1 turn scoring gutter runners are hilarious, even if they do get smushed often :lol:

nstf on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    !vote Play the Human team. Purple. Name them the New Hampshire Darkmagics.

I need to get this reinstalled stat. I might play with a Chaos team if so.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if it will run on my laptop, since I'd rather play with it there, but a mobility 3450 is kinda weaksauce.

nstf on
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Back in the high school days my friend actually played Bloodbowl and he choose [strike]Wimpy[/strike] wood elves. He never named his players because he thought that was stupid. One day he told me one of his linemen died in a game and I was like "So will there be a name on his tombstone?" He's still very resistant to naming the players on his team but I suggested that while they can be nameless, when they died in glorius bloodbowl battle they can earn the right to have a name.

The next day, he came back to me and said "His name is Robert Paulson."

btw: Undead/Vampire team is pretty expensive but otherwise pretty good. I guess they removed that.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
    edited September 2010
    Back in the high school days my friend actually played Bloodbowl and he choose [strike]Wimpy[/strike] wood elves. He never named his players because he thought that was stupid. One day he told me one of his linemen died in a game and I was like "So will there be a name on his tombstone?" He's still very resistant to naming the players on his team but I suggested that while they can be nameless, when they died in glorius bloodbowl battle they can earn the right to have a name.

The next day, he came back to me and said "His name is Robert Paulson."

btw: Undead/Vampire team is pretty expensive but otherwise pretty good. I guess they removed that.

A bunch of teams are coming in the legendary edition.

EDIT- and where do I re-dl this, all the links are in french!

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    I have my copy straight from Cyanide, not from Steam, but the servers are the same, right?

As far as I can tell yes. Steam just offers the easier download and steam community features.

The remaining teams, with the exception of chaos dwarves, will be added in with the release of the Legendary edition. I'm so excited.

I'll do my sign up stuff tonight, probably dark elves or skaven, 1 turn scoring gutter runners are hilarious, even if they do get smushed often :lol:
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I need to get this reinstalled stat. I might play with a Chaos team if so.
    Oh man, I'm so in for this.
    !Sign up with an Orc team, I will get name/roster/etc posted tonight when I get home.

Woo, the tourney is starting to fill! Bring it on! (and thank you for signing up)

EDIT- and where do I re-dl this, all the links are in french!
    The Cyanide digital version has a seven day time limit in which you can download the installer. If you no longer have it you can try emailing their support services to request a new download key. They wouldn't let me have mine back so I re-bought it on Steam. :x

Team:
    Chaos- 4
    Dark Elves- 2
    Lizardmen- 2
    Goblins- 2
    Orcs- 1
    Skaven- 1
    Human- 1

Color:
    Green- 1
    Purple- 2

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm on my last uninstall from their SecuROM, and if I ever forget to migrate the installer when I switch HDDs I'm hosed.

Wish I had waited to buy it on Steam.

(Worth it, though, because it got me into Blood Bowl which is an awesome game).

Lykouragh on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still have my installation files thank god. Really, I think it just comes down to installing the game one way or another and just using the product key you were assigned.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Just as an FYI... if we end up being purple I will strongly support a Slanesshi base team.

TENTACLES FOR ERRYBODY.
    Yeah, I'm on my last uninstall from their SecuROM, and if I ever forget to migrate the installer when I switch HDDs I'm hosed.

Wish I had waited to buy it on Steam.

(Worth it, though, because it got me into Blood Bowl which is an awesome game).

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so no new votes for some time. Got 24 hours left... looks like we might end up being Chaos and possible tan/purple.

Also, still (desperately) need more people to compete in the Tourney. If you want to play or know someone who does, and is not a jerk, get them in here. :mrgreen:

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010
    ...I'm looking at that 30% off offer for the Legendary Edition, and the fact that I can get the current one with Dark Elves for £15 from the main site... and it's tempting to just buy it and sign up for the tourney, since the offer would lessen the impact on my wallet...

To buy, or not to buy...

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited September 2010
    Well heck with it. Gonna close the current !vote now.

...and the results are:

We are playing a purple hued Chaos team!
    Oh god.

Now it comes time to !vote once more before the LP/Tourney begins.

What should our team name be?

With us playing Chaos and the color being purple I'd be all in favor of something Slaanesh themed. :winky:
    Slannesh is the Chaos god/goddess of excess and hedonism.

What should our team logo be?
    1.jpg2.jpg3-1.jpg
    4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg
    010.jpg012.jpg013.jpg
    014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg
    017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg
    020.jpg021.jpg022.jpg
    023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg
    026.jpg

What should our starting line up be?

Suggested options and why:

On the importance of re-rolls. Chaos teams lack the high agility needed to reliably pick, hand off, or pass (lol pass) the ball and this is where re-rolls are helpful. Also, while Chaos are quite adequate in the "punch that dude" department, sometime the dice are just not in your corner. We will come to <3 the re-roll.

Option one:
    11 Beastmen
    5 Re-Rolls
    1 Apothecary
    The rest on cheerleaders and blow(aka my discretion)

This team start should help us with an even development of all our players. Early Chaos teams tend to burn through re-rolls early on and re-rolls get more expensive later on.

Option two:
    3 Chaos Warriors
    8 Beastmen
    2 Re-Rolls
    1 Apothecary

This set up gets us some early re-rolls, that we WILL need, while providing us a strong line of scrimmage with the Chaos Warrior support.

Option three:
    1 Minotaur
    10 Beastmen
    3 Re-Rolls
    1 Apothecary

Getting your biggest, baddest player early on can be a wonderful starting strategy as it gets him plenty of field time to cave in some skulls for those all important Star Player Points. A word of warning though as Minotaurs suffer from Wild Animal meaning they have about a 50/50 chance to stand there doing nothing other than providing a tackle zone.

Option four:
    4 Chaos Warriors
    8 Beastmen (I'm not sure on this number)
    2 Re-Rolls
    1 Apothecary

Strong line of scrimmage, plenty of back field support, adequate re-roll support, and an extra Beastman to replace any momentary (or permanent) on field losses.

If you have any question on these feel free to speak up, I'm more than happy to answer what I can. :mrgreen:

...and I need to player names. Superstition demands that a custom named player is always better than the generic in game ones. So here is how that will work. Give me two names and the first name listed will be a player from the start first come first serve. The second name go on a list that will begin when the first list is exhausted. Replacements happen.

!vote will end September 29th at midnight.

More importantly I need players to !signup to compete or I will have to adjust the LP radically. No one wants that... right? So if you want to play for the top three spots (and for fun of course) start signing up now. Please?

Also, know anyone who'd like to join? GET THEM IN HERE. OH GOD PLEASE HELP.
    Tourney will hopefully start next Sunday, October 3rd.

npc.EXE on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm too tired/lack the imagination to give player and team names but I will cast a vote! for the top middle logo and option 1 for the player settings.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    I will definitely remember to make my team tonight, the PA servers were down the other night.

(Anyone have any good idea for wang based Orc team names? :) )

I imagine my roster will be 4x blorc, 4x blitzer, thrower, 2 linemen, rest of the money in rerolls, tiny little remaining money in fan factor, but I'll make that more exact tonight.

Lykouragh on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to vote for a modified version of Option 4 as it's probably the safest (and most chaos-y) of the options...but I'm really intrigued by 3 because I don't think it'll work out too well, but I want to see you try...

So...

!vote Option 3
    Logo: Column 3 Row 3

I'll come up with some names later, I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment since I struggled for 11 for:

!signup
    TheRapsids-2.png

+2 Rerolls

Edit: Altered the team a bit

crucialityfactor on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Blood Bowl can be bought from Gogamer for $5 before shipping. It's where I got my copy.

!vote name: Bell Chops
    Logo column 3, row 8 (It's a Bell)
    Option 4, I think more players the better, can't reroll when you're attacked and get killed.

Could you flesh out the tournament rules a bit more? Particularly in regard to turn-based vs. real time, sponsors, deaths, scrolls, bribes, doping, extra training, kick-off events, cheerleaders, re-rolls, equipment, match duration.

Basically everything listed when you click on "Public League" in the multiplayer lobby.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.