As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
logo.gif

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Do you like lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
It's browser based, but there is an offline client you can download.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in alpha, creative is free and survival is pay-only. It is highly recommended you buy it now, instead of when it goes into beta as the price will double. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:€9.95 | $13.00 | £8.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit:

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones.
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Skins
[URL="url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=54216"]Java Skin Editor[/URL]
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
YOU MUST PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR PROFILE OTHERWISE I WILL LAUGH AND IGNORE YOUR PATHETIC REQUESTS

PA Servers
Diannaochong.dyndns.org
For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, PM ME, I DONT GIVE A SHIT HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST IT.

I Just bought this game and I have no idea what shit is going on!
Don't worry, avid Minecraft fans FIGURED OUT A WAY TO PUT VIDEOS AND PICTURES ON THE INTERNET

HOLY SHIT

BASICS
GRASS
Grassguidesniper2.png

REDSTONE

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
Kris_xK on

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein's Build Server

This server is set aside for Penny Arcade use. Accordingly, the IP to the server is private, so we don't get people trolling the forums, finding an IP, and coming in just to grief or blow shit up. You can PM me to get it, or for a more timely response you can obtain it from the Steam group.

Server Status: hb.php?ip=jsein.dyndns.org&port=25565&on=OPTIONAL_ONLINE_IMAGE&off=OPTIONAL_OFFLINE_IMAGE

CARTOGRAPHER RENDERS OF OUR MAP
    Updated overhead map as of Sept 30, 2010.

colrap_render_004.jpg

And a full-size isometric render:

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/colrap_render_003.jpg

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/colrap_render_005.jpg

AVAILABLE USER COMMANDS:

/warp <destination>: This was implemented because there is a lot of stuff built all over the place, and the number one question people would always ask is "Where is _____?", usually followed by "I'm lost :(".
    The current destination options are: HOME, RAPTURE, COLUMBIA, DOME, EMBER, LAVALAND, DESERT, ARCTIC. The Dome is located within Rapture; first-time visitors are encouraged to use the Rapture point to enter via the lighthouse for the full effect.

/sethome: Similar to how warp functions, it allows you to set your own personal waypoint that you can reach by typing /home. You will land within 2-3 blocks of where you are when you set the point.

/kit: Simple item kits that will furnish you with a variety of things. Because I believe that you should have to work to acquire basic items, the only kit that is widely available right now is /kit tools, which will provide you with a shovel, mining pick, axe, and a stack of torches.

/playerlist: Allows you to see a list of all of the players who are currently online.

/compass: Shows you your current heading (as of when you typed the command).

/motd: Will simply repeat the Message of the Day in the chat log for you.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: How do I type?
    A: Push T to open the text input line.

Q: Where is it alright for me to mine/build?
    A: The default spawn, and location of /warp home, is FREEBUILD ISLAND. Hopefully you can infer from the name that it is totally fine to put what you want there, as long as you don't interfere with or destroy someone else's construction. To the EAST of that, at /warp ember, is EMBER, our MINING SITE. Dig away here, so that we preserve the beauty of our other locations! Do not build in the area above Rapture and not in the valley below Columbia. This is so that Rapture remains mostly unobstructed for awesome views, and so that keeps it's iconic fields below.

Q: How far out can I go?
    A: Look at the map above. Around it, we've placed a border that is nothing but a sheer drop straight down onto bedrock. You will know when you see it - it's pretty much a straight drop down about 60 blocks on most parts of the map, has bedrock at the bottom, and is a sheer line carved through the terrain all the way up. DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE. If you do, you cause the server to start generating more random terrain, which lags us and increases filesizes, both of which are bad things. Warnings or bans will be distributed to those who are found crossing/building across the line.

Q: Can I add to Columbia / Rapture?
    A: Definitely! See below for general style guides as to how we build our stuff, so yours is cohesive. Also, try to be sensible about where you start building - we usually have areas set aside for new expansion, particularly on Columbia. Alternatively, there is a jobs board in both Rapture and Columbia where people who are working on things can put posts up for help or assistance in whatever they are constructing.

Q: Why are some people's names colored?
    A: This has to do with their user rank. Red is Administrator; Blue is Moderator. Mods are able to help you with any problem you might be having!

Q: Who are the current mods?
    A: d4gjerick, tinywindturbines, cilantr0, mouserecoil, and sinter.

Q: Can I have <item>?
    A: In general, my policy is not to spawn items that are readily available. Rapture and Columbia are being built entirely by hand, and I don't want to ruin how special that is. I will make exceptions for certain things - for example, I have no problem spawning lava or water sources for people, because they tend to be incorporated into awesome visual things. However, if you just want a stack of glass for that neat thing you're building in Rapture... get a shovel, and start hauling some sand.

Q: It lags really badly every now and then!
    A: That's not a question. But, I have a backup script running taking images of the server's state every 30 minutes. When it does that, it tends to lag. This takes about 1 minute. After that, everything resumes as normal! Trust me, you'll be glad we have them if we ever need them.

Q: What do I do if I really want to set fire to things, or flood things?
    A: Go to another server! I have full logs now, and I can backtrack to see who is starting fires all willy-nilly. I also have no compunction about banning people who grief.

SO WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO AWESOME?
    mc_col010.jpg

rapture1.png
    That's why!

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN COLUMBIA:

Columbia is our flying steampunk victorian city! It is based on the game Bioshock: Infinite BIOSHOCK INFINITE, which is not out yet. However, the trailers for the game have impressed us, and given us a great sense for what might be fun to build in a flying city.

/Warp columbia will take you to the zeppelin flying overhead, from which you can make a rapid descent into the receiving pool.

Columbia is a city built upon a series of connected, independently flying platforms. On the underside of most platforms you will find turbines, suspended in rings by fenceposts. From the underneath and sides you will usually find balloons being used to help 'support' the 'weight'.
    mc_col011.jpg
    mc_col012.jpg

The visual style for a lot of the buildings we've picked out is basic cobblestone with half-steps being used as trim:
    mc_col014.jpg

We use greenery around the trims to simulate ivy and generally look nice. You can do this by growing a tree in the spot you want the stuff to be in, and chopping the trunk down from underneath until you have a floating log and leaves. Then add the half-blocks, etc. in a frame around it. Leaves have to be proximate to a log in order to prevent them from despawning! Alternatively, a moderator should be able to help you set this up. Cilantr0 has been decorating most of our buildings in the american flag motif, which is appropriate for the city, so I'd say let him continue to do that. :)

Helpful reference material for those building Columbia:
    col_ref001.jpg

col_ref002.jpg

col_ref003.jpg

col_ref004.jpg

col_ref005.jpg

Columbia-Image-1.jpg

Columbia-Image-2.jpg

Roses-1.jpg

bioshock-infinite-sky-line.jpg

Ultimately, we don't want to limit your creativity. The problem we ran into with Rapture, though, is that by allowing everyone to build whatever they want, wherever they want, the place rapidly turns into a maze. To that end, we're collectively trying to approach Columbia in a bit more of an orderly fashion. Try and build buildings with a purpose - i.e., restaurants, bars, residences, etc.

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN RAPTURE:

Rapture is our kickass underwater city, based on Bioshock 1 and 2 BIOSHOCK 1 and 2. We're not trying to duplicate the city from the game - we're putting our own spin on things as we go. You can reach it with /warp rapture, which will take you to the Lighthouse, our surface entrance to the city.
    welcometorapture.jpg

This picture's slightly outdated. Not pictured:

The Lighthouse, where the Bathysphere to Rapture is located.
    The Atlantic Bar & Lounge, located beneath Neptune's Bounty and Olympus Heights
    Rapture Main Warehouse, located just North of the dome.
    No doubt some stuff I'm forgetting. Whatever!

Rapture's very much an organic process. We just started building, and it sort've grew and grew and suddenly turned into quite a little maze. What you need to know is that The Dome is the heart of things, and you can reach it with /warp dome. First-time visitors are not recommended to use this - come in through the lighthouse.

On the floor of the dome, you'll find compass directions inset with obsidian. These are how we usually navigate - so when someone says "North of the Dome", you'll know what the hell they're talking about.

Generally speaking, North of the Dome is the "Rapture Main", i.e. what we built when we first started down there. It's a collection of a lot of little structures, and includes the entrance from the Bathysphere ride from the lighthouse. Pretty much anything goes up here, as long as you're not ruining someone else's structure.

West of the Dome is the residential towers. These are being built so that players will be able to branch off and set up their own little apartment and living space. I'm hoping that you guys will take the initiative to try and turn these branches into actual cohesive buildings, and not just little personal pseudopod bubbles.

South of the Dome is Hephaestus, where we do all of our smelting. There are lava furnaces down there. I believe Hades Hams is also being added down there, as an automated pork-slaughtering facility. Generally, this is our industrial wing.

East of the Dome is our Submarine bay, and a long glass walkway that people have just started building things off of. This is also mostly fair game, as long as you don't block the submarine exits!

As a general building style guide, we use a lot of glass and cobblestone down in Rapture. We try to put cobblestone in the corners and frames of things that we're building, so that glass structures look like they have some sort of support. Spend a minute walking around down there and you'll very quickly catch on to the style!

Underwater building's a little tedious, but also way easier than most people make it out to be. The basic method is simply to build the framework of the building underwater, then wall it up - ceiling, walls, floors. Then you have to fill the interior and dig it back out again to displace water. The easiest materials to do this with are typically sand or gravel, since they 'fall' due to gravity and can quickly fill a space. You can also do the torch trick (where you knock out the bottom block of a column of sand or gravel, and then very quickly deploy a torch in the space where it was) to make all of the above blocks fall on the torch and deconstruct themselves.
    WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

The map is littered with cool shit (and the occasional superdong) people just up and built out in the middle of nowhere. Like, I can't even tell you, so pictures are in order.
    mc001.jpg
    mc002.jpg
    mc003.jpg
    mc004.jpg

Ein on
  • MadCowLucienMadCowLucien Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New thread. Time to scope out some coal first.

MadCowLucien on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thread tag.

I need to set up one of those skins for my MP server - bit boring for everyone to look the same.

LockeCole on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I submit to you that if you have the means (glasses) to play in 3D and you do not that you are a FOOL and a COWARD.

Clouds are wonky as they double render sans depth coloring but still. Holy crap.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't want to be at work. There's no minecraft here.

desc on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    HOW I MINE GLASS

Edit: I figured it out! 8-)

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The steam community page is down or something.

I can't get into the server. :(

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahh a New day and a new thread. Now, let me open my front door to this new beginning and.. sssssssss... BOOOM!

drale03 on
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So my request to be added to the steam group doesn't get lost with the old thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969636631

kaorti on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Blimey the last thread went a shitload faster than before. I'm going away for the weekend ... how am i gonna cope without minecraft?!

Lly on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You find coal, I'll build a 4x4x4 mud hut for the first night.

Delzhand on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lies, it cost $13.66 for me last night!

My Hidey Hole in Columbia is done, I think. I might make the outer layer match the front stones all the way around, but aside from that I'm done building. I need the records for the jukebox at my rooftop bar, though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I now have to get grass to grow on an island I built in the sky. The island is 6 blocks under the maximum height limit. This should be fun ...

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »

You find coal, I'll build a 4x4x4 mud hut for the first night.

With my latest start (wherein I started a SMP server for myself and a few buddies), I didn't even bother building that. I started next to a lake with tons of sand. In my obsession to gather sand for eventual glass making, I ignored how long I'd spent, and ended up just digging down a couple blocks, and surrounding myself with stone.

Of course, now that I sit at work, I realize that monster's aren't even enabled on the server....so I feel like an idiot.

Hey, either way, plenty o' sand to go around.

AustinP0027 on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rawr!

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Skyland, with a couple pictures, should be in the OP.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Lies, it cost $13.66 for me last night!

So many people have bought this euro game it must be causing a drop in the value of the US dollar.

slugabed on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How does the game handle building close to the upper limit? Can NOTHING exist above that limit, or can you just not place blocks there any longer?

I guess what I'm asking is if you place a floor so high that there's only one empty layer between the floor and the limit, can you stand on that floor?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kaorti wrote: »
    So my request to be added to the steam group doesn't get lost with the old thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969636631

Same. Please add me to the steam group
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960683876

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So wait, is smelting working in SMP? Is there some kind of trick to it? I tried smelting some iron ore using coal last night and it didn't work.

slugabed on
    edited September 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    How does the game handle building close to the upper limit? Can NOTHING exist above that limit, or can you just not place blocks there any longer?

I guess what I'm asking is if you place a floor so high that there's only one empty layer between the floor and the limit, can you stand on that floor?

I think you just can't build blocks.

What I, to test how high my island was, is throw blocks directly underneath me as I jumped up. I got 6 blocks under me before it wouldn't let me place anymore. But I could still stand on the top block.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice OP by the way. I look forward to discussing the crafting of mines.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reposting from the old thread because I didn't realize we'd jumped over to a new one:
    Delzhand wrote: »
    There aren't any ingame shots, but someone made a Link to the Past texture pack:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16966

I'll test it out later. It's going to have to be pretty good to get me away from Doku's RPG pack. I downloaded the update today and it reset my .jar file, and urg - I can't use the default skin anymore. DokuRPG is just too good (except for the non-animated water/lava).

I've tried that Zelda pack. It's pretty well done, looks nice. However, if you're doing an open pit quarry and want to check how far through the night it is, and you glance up glance up to the sky, you may piss your pants when you see the Majora's Mask moon staring down at you.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the stone picks being hammers, but eh, it works. 'Iron ingots' are crystal shaped things in it and buckets are bottles. There are lots of little things like that, so unless you're already very familiar with the game and what makes what, I'm not sure I'd recommend it because it becomes a lot less intuitive. Also, I hate the inventory/crafting windows because the flat black background makes it almost impossible to see some stuff. It just doesn't look very good. I may take those windows from something like Doku and put them in over the Zelda pack and get the best of both worlds sometime...

Dranyth on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish there was a Gamma setting in the game. It needs it. I squint too much underground and screw up my eyes.

Last time I played, I got such a headache, I wanted to just pass out.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Place more torches?

Dranyth on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Place more torches?

I've tried. When I dig into a wall for 3 blocks in, I start to squint. Do that a couple times and my head splits in half. Also, night is practically pitch black unless I ramp up my gamma. Good monitor here, calibrated for games. Hell, I can see alright in Doom 3 when I played it last month.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Huh, that does seem fairly bizarre... I don't have anywhere near that kind of problem with the dark in this game. I suppose mine might be too bright then, though it seems fine to me.

Dranyth on
    edited September 2010
    Information re: my server is in the second post now!

Ein on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In survival do you guys go venturing far away from your home base to find ore? If so how do you deal with nightfall? Just dig a temporary hidey-hole?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Working on a barn now which is underneath the large shadow since I can't get anything to grown there without a shit ton of lights.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited September 2010
    I have constructed a huge glass and stone stair tower directly above my first outpost up to just under the cloud line, with a lava core running down the middle of it. I typically don't venture too far away from my home base in any particular direction, but the idea is that I should be able to see the tower as soon as I get near.

Of course, this was started before the advent of the compass... which greatly simplifies the whole 'finding home' aspect.

Dranyth on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the /warp columbia command mean you are no longer making a boat launching waterfall? Cause that sounded pretty sweet, really.

Burtletoy on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can see fine with torches. However, I can see jack shit at night.

Couscous on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tried to build my stilt house again, first leg, as soon as I place a post at sea level it and all posts above it vanish, haven't figured out how to make them reappear. However, the other supports all appear fine and I have zero problems with them so... I don't know wtf is up.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does the /warp columbia command mean you are no longer making a boat launching waterfall? Cause that sounded pretty sweet, really.

Yeah, unfortunately. We tried very hard to make a boat launcher, but the problem is that no matter how high you build the waterfalls, you end up only shooting up vertically about 6 blocks. This meant that in order to have a functioning boat launcher... the launcher would basically have to terminate at the dropoff. Since we wanted Columbia to be clearly freefloating, and a giant adjacent ground structure would ruin that, we went with plan B, which was the /warp.

The boat thing would have been a pain in the ass, anyway. Boats are fragile as shit, and someone has to keep restocking them.

Ein on
    edited September 2010

Wait, is this boat launching waterfall different from a waterfall elevator. If so I totally want to know how to do it. I'm currently building an island in the sky but having something connecting it to the ground totally ruins it.

Edit:

Well I guess that answers my question ... in a disappointing way.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any way to easily avoid having to scoot over a ledge in order to place an extra blog high up? It kind of freaks me out.

Couscous on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, need help. I applied Doku's RPG pack recently, and I'm fairly certain I just opened the minecraft.jar file with 7zip, dragged the files in, and I was done. But now drag and drop doesn't seem to work. I can't extract the files and copy them, because 7zip can't create .jar files, even if it can open them. Any advice?

Edit: Nevermind - you can't drag from archive to archive. I unzipped the texture pack and copied from the folder instead and it worked.

Delzhand on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there any way to easily avoid having to scoot over a ledge in order to place an extra blog high up? It kind of freaks me out.

Holding the crouch button will, appearently, prevent you from falling off youir ledges, which learning that today in the earlier thread is going to make my work back on my glass tower to the heavens much less risky.

Burtletoy on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Holding the crouch button will, appearently, prevent you from falling off youir ledges, which learning that today in the earlier thread is going to make my work back on my glass tower to the heavens much less risky.

Crouching, however, doesn't stop you from falling when you release it while hanging on a ledge. Make sure to move back onto a tile before you release crouch.

Squirrel Rancher on
This discussion has been closed.