As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kaorti wrote: »
    So my request to be added to the steam group doesn't get lost with the old thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969636631

Same. Please add me to the steam group
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960683876
    Can I please get in on this too?
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976628391

DJ Cam Cam on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone invite me to the steam group please, I feel left out...

Steam ID

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • trednistrednis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    a few things I would like to eventually see:

when creating a world for the first time, have options similar to the "Civilization" series..
    age: young (more lava, less coal, more rugged mountains, more sea creatures), normal, young (more caves, higher chance of ruins)
    sky level: changes the sky/dirt proportion
    land masses: large (fewer large bodies of water), normal, small (mostly large islands)
    temperature: cold, normal, hot (would change the chances of the different biomes(sp?))
    "fantastic lands": high (chance of things like the celestial or sky realms featured in the earlier thread, giant trees), normal, low(no undead, but more aggressive animals)

I would also like there to be an option for natural events like disasters or cool looking stuff:
    earthquakes- affect mostly large, unsupported structures, would also create new caves/ openings.
    lightening- chance to start forest forest or expose metal deposits close to the surface. (would have a craftable lightening rod to protect structures)
    eclipse- hordes of monsters spawn during the day
    meteor showers- looks cool and provides the occasional iron.
    flood- the land effectively sinks 1 or 2 squares. or a tidal wave hits from a large body of water.
    blood moon- monster spawn (not creepers) anywhere.
    harvest moon- all plants grow much faster and are resistant to burning.

trednis on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    trednis wrote: »

when creating a world for the first time, have options similar to the "Civilization" series..
    age: young (more lava, less coal, more rugged mountains, more sea creatures), normal, young (more caves, higher chance of ruins)
    land masses: large (fewer large bodies of water), normal, small (mostly large islands)
    temperature: cold, normal, hot (would change the chances of the different biomes(sp?))
    "fantastic lands": high (chance of things like the celestial or sky realms featured in the earlier thread, giant trees), normal, low(no undead, but more aggressive animals)

I would also like there to be an option for natural events like disasters or cool looking stuff:
    earthquakes- affect mostly large, unsupported structures, would also create new caves/ openings.
    lightening- chance to start forest forest or expose metal deposits close to the surface. (would have a craftable lightening rod to protect structures)
    flood- the land effectively sinks 1 or 2 squares. or a tidal wave hits from a large body of water.

I'd like a simple aeroplane you can fly around the world in.. it'd serve two purposes.. 1. You could get around the world quicker 2. You could see stuff from lovely angles without having to build tower of babels

It'd be something hard to make though, like you'd need to craft a propeller from wood and iron, an engine from iron and coal, wings from wood and string, a body from wood etc and then you'd need to put them together to craft a plane..

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    trednis wrote: »

Neat Ideas, and all seem feasible. At one time he had it where different outsets could happen in InfDev. There was one called HELL where there was no water, no sunlight, no grass, all lava, and monsters could spawn at any time. Saw videos of it and it looks intriguing.

OH, he also plans to reintroduce Hell with like a warp mechanism or something!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    when discussing natural disasters he said earthquakes would probably ruin too many things for people too easily, and natural caverns would be ruined as well

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Started over twice last night.

The first time I'd found some good iron deposits and converted it all into picks/shovels/a couple axes/more picks.

Then I decided I needed wood. And forgot to put all the picks in storage. So off I go from giant tree to giant tree havesting oodles of wood.

Then it starts to get dark so I turn around to head home. Only I have no idea where that is. So I start wandering off towards what I thought was the right direction. After about a half hour I swear, build a tower that goes above the clouds, coat it in torches, take off my armor and jump off to get back to my spawn.

I spent the next day or two doing expanding circles, creating more beacon towers trying to find my death spot so I don't lose all my iron tools that I had on me. Nothing.

By that point I was so frustrated I just said fuck it and started over.

Now I build a beacon tower above my home immediately and whenever I go exploring contruct another as soon as I begin to lose sight of the last one.

Honestly I can't believe I went out wood harvesting with all my damn iron tools on me. So dumb >_<

HappylilElf on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I sent a pm, but everyone else is posting requests in the thread, so if that's how invites are going out...

steam id

edit: Oh, I see it's already been sent. Thanks!

Also, Notch has said he keeps trying (and failing) to create biomes, which are climate/geography regions, so I bet eventually we'll be able to have more input on what kind of world is created!

Delzhand on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Add me to the steam group please.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hopdown

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Place more torches?

I've tried. When I dig into a wall for 3 blocks in, I start to squint. Do that a couple times and my head splits in half. Also, night is practically pitch black unless I ramp up my gamma. Good monitor here, calibrated for games. Hell, I can see alright in Doom 3 when I played it last month.

Huh, I can usually dig the max number of blocks within reach twice which is something like 8 or 10 before I start needing a torch.

HappylilElf on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    is it possible to host a server on a PC and run the client on the same PC and join that server?

i have never hosted a server, really, so i don't know what's going on

Evil Multifarious on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Son of a bitch. Bought the fucking game. Dammit. His server failure leading to free weekend has sodomized me.

Could use an invite if I don't get one from the Steam group chat which I plan to hit in a minute.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/FightTest

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I played this what feels like a long while ago, and all you could do was build stuff and other people could all build in one world, but I don't remember any monsters or anything. I guess there have been a lot of changes?

Dissociater on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    is it possible to host a server on a PC and run the client on the same PC and join that server?

i have never hosted a server, really, so i don't know what's going on

You can do it. It's not gonna be able to host as many people as well though.

Ein on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No-one has yet added me to the Steam group. Whine whine whine.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jintor/home/

Jintor on
    edited September 2010
    it's crashing when i try, so something is clearly going wrong. not sure what.

Evil Multifarious on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reposting from the old thread because I didn't realize we'd jumped over to a new one:
    Delzhand wrote: »
    There aren't any ingame shots, but someone made a Link to the Past texture pack:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16966

I'll test it out later. It's going to have to be pretty good to get me away from Doku's RPG pack. I downloaded the update today and it reset my .jar file, and urg - I can't use the default skin anymore. DokuRPG is just too good (except for the non-animated water/lava).

I've tried that Zelda pack. It's pretty well done, looks nice. However, if you're doing an open pit quarry and want to check how far through the night it is, and you glance up glance up to the sky, you may piss your pants when you see the Majora's Mask moon staring down at you.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the stone picks being hammers, but eh, it works. 'Iron ingots' are crystal shaped things in it and buckets are bottles. There are lots of little things like that, so unless you're already very familiar with the game and what makes what, I'm not sure I'd recommend it because it becomes a lot less intuitive. Also, I hate the inventory/crafting windows because the flat black background makes it almost impossible to see some stuff. It just doesn't look very good. I may take those windows from something like Doku and put them in over the Zelda pack and get the best of both worlds sometime...
    mojang.png

zeldaminecraft.png

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited September 2010
    the server is saying i'm not logged in and kicking me, then minecraft crashes.

what the poop

Evil Multifarious on
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got bored and started the following project. Boy do I wish minecarts worked.

Spoiled for big
    Minecraft-gate.jpg

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is destroying my productivity. I just accidentally sheered a sheep for the first time. Got the block of wool. The first thought that comes to my head is "I can build artificial clouds with these. And then put a city on them."

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    Got bored and started the following project. Boy do I wish minecarts worked.

Spoiled for big
    Minecraft-gate.jpg

Chevron 7 locked!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Steam id:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/stormwatcher/

I wanna look around rapture/columbia so much...

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    hmmm, i have followed the FAQ on the website and pared down my properties doc but it still keeps kicking me.

fuckin' computers, how do they work

edit: fixed

Evil Multifarious on
  • DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, gents.

As with many of you, server crash into free weekend lead to me giving up 10 of my hard eared euros so I can play minecraft.

I've started up a small server for some local frintes of mine to help get them hooked, too, but I seem to be having issues.

Mainly, when in this server it often will sort of lock up and not let me destroy/build anything. If you try to destroy a block, it reappears right away. I've restarted the server but the problem continues. I've also looked around on mincraft forums and found no one else mentioning the problem.

As anyone around here experienced this problem before?

Thanks very much for your help!

Duo on
  • MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, blocks within a certain distance of the spawn are "unbreakable". Could that be it?

Mushiwulf on
  • DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interesting. After moving a little further away, I can indeed break blocks again.

Trying to map out a radius now.

Thanks very much!

Duo on
  • HoothHooth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In SP, does anyone know how to get the green records? I remember getting them from creepers a while back, but now they are not dropping any.

Hooth on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hooth wrote: »
    In SP, does anyone know how to get the green records? I remember getting them from creepers a while back, but now they are not dropping any.

Both records can be found in the chests in treasure rooms, or dropped from creepers that are killed by skeleton archers. The trick to the second method is to damage a creeper but not deal the killing blow, then luring a skeleton into shooting the creeper.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Talk about luck. Turns out that the waterfall I originally used to escape the mines lets out just within the walls of the island fortress I'm building. Now I have super easy access to my large cave system, which gets more organized, every time I go down there. Pretty much every hole I've dug leads into a part of it, and there's still a lot of it explore, so this is a big time saver.

ContentContext on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So many new players on here

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • HoothHooth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hooth wrote: »

Both records can be found in the chests in treasure rooms, or dropped from creepers that are killed by skeleton archers. The trick to the second method is to damage a creeper but not deal the killing blow, then luring a skeleton into shooting the creeper.

Well that sounds perfectly safe and not at all likely to go horribly wrong.

Hooth on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I just bought This Mofo. I hope Notch enjoys the €9.95 I gave him, even though it was seriously not in my budget. I hope that he feels bad about taking cash I had set aside for food. I hope that he is crying on his big pile of money...

halkun on
  • HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can i have an invite to the group linky

Huntzy on
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ramenamen

Group invite please? I asked in the last thread and never got an invite.

Ramen Noodle on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Ok, I just bought This Mofo. I hope Notch enjoys the €9.95 I gave him, even though it was seriously not in my budget. I hope that he feels bad about taking cash I had set aside for food. I hope that he is crying on his big pile of money...

Reminds me of... http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/10/23/

citizen059 on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Place more torches?

I've tried. When I dig into a wall for 3 blocks in, I start to squint. Do that a couple times and my head splits in half. Also, night is practically pitch black unless I ramp up my gamma. Good monitor here, calibrated for games. Hell, I can see alright in Doom 3 when I played it last month.

You might need to fiddle with contrast as well. I have similar problems with my desktop monitor, but find that I can literally see in the dark on my laptop.

gjaustin on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time to mine some obsidian.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty happy with Zelda tower right now.

Not super fancy, but I'm not sure it has to be.

The only thing I would want now would be to even out the water in the moats, but that would take a lot of water generating tiles. It's passable as it is - at least there's no dry squares.

Edit: oh yeah, and adding cloud rings near to the top. That would probably best be served with wool, though, which I also don't have access to.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can you plant your own bamboo? I thought that you could but I just tried and wouldn't work.

I want to created a book-filled library in my new house but sailing around and almost getting lost while looking for hints of bamboo is pretty tiresome. It'd be nice to just lay down a plot I could continually harvest.

edit: so the Wiki says it can be planted. I wonder why mine wouldn't work...

hatedinamerica on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You putting it near water and stuff?

Jintor on
This discussion has been closed.