As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yea i think the larger version says the whole thing.

i just checked. teh large version says the entire thing

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    battstatt is nice. except it doesn't understand what no background means.

this is fun, re doin my issshhhh

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    god, I am ready to be done with the G1 now. I've had 3 in the last year and then for no reason now mine won't turn on. It worked fine literally 5 minuets ago when I made a call.

Bucketman on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »

Yes it does, look at mine above. The issue is there's a "No Background" box that defaults to "off" but you have to toggle it once to on then off for just the words to show up with no transparent background. Its just weird but you're right in that it doesn't understand what it's own options mean.

Allforce on
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

Yes it does, look at mine above. The issue is there's a "No Background" box that defaults to "off" but you have to toggle it once to on then off for just the words to show up with no transparent background. Its just weird but you're right in that it doesn't understand what it's own options mean.

yeah I got it, used a different size of the widget

now I am trying to make shortcuts with custom icons and they just aren't showing up. grrrrrrrr. working on it.

edit - yeah. choose shortcut, application, change icon... and it just doesn't show up. no shortcut appears. launcherpro nooooooo

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    are you talking the dock or just general icons?

if general i would just use desktop visualizer

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    general. I have certain ones that work but a bunch don't. I could swear they did at first. fuckckckck

I already use launcherpro for how it all looks I don't want to add something else when this should work.

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    desktop visualizer is free and is what most people on teh launcherpro forums use

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    alright you convinced me

still don't see why it doesn't work but whatever.

thank you.

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    LP will work but you can't resize the shortcut icons at all. Kind of a pain in the ass. Desktop Visualizer works perfect and even has the widgets to make the icons whatever size you want.

Allforce on
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally figured out how to take screenshots, what a hassle. Managed to snag one before the entire Android SDK stuff just stopped working and then completely disappeared from my PC. Anyways here's what I got going right now, thought some of you might enjoy it. I change the background image pretty often but have been keeping the same basic look to the homescreen.

4 shortcuts there with custom icons, each opens up into what you expect (games, news, multimedia, tools).

Next dock screen is Web, Facebook, Twitter, and Market but I could only grab the one screenshot for now.

923a.png

Edit: Got it working again yay! Incoming photos ahoy!

That looks amazing, what is that?

Kazoo on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kazoo wrote: »
    Finally figured out how to take screenshots, what a hassle. Managed to snag one before the entire Android SDK stuff just stopped working and then completely disappeared from my PC. Anyways here's what I got going right now, thought some of you might enjoy it. I change the background image pretty often but have been keeping the same basic look to the homescreen.

4 shortcuts there with custom icons, each opens up into what you expect (games, news, multimedia, tools).

Next dock screen is Web, Facebook, Twitter, and Market but I could only grab the one screenshot for now.

923a.png

Edit: Got it working again yay! Incoming photos ahoy!

That looks amazing, what is that?

Agreed, how do I make my android look like this?

Iceman.USAF on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Alright, so my wife is completely done with 2.2 on her incredible. Anyone have any idea how to get back to 2.1? We'll root it, hack it, whatever it takes... the phone is almost completely unusable now.

Can you be more specific in what you mean by "completely unusable"? I guess I'm not understanding what the problem is here on it, is it something like "well now it's really slow compared to before" or is it as severe as "It just shuts off when I try to make a phone call"?

I've just read nothing about any problems with 2.2 on Incredible on any of the usual Droid news sites and blogs about this, makes me wonder if yours is just a faulty phone. I know you said "Well the Verizon rep said a lot of people are having issues..." which doesn't inspire much confidence in me since those people rarely know whats going on with their own products.

Hell even saying that, before you go ahead and root it and ruin the warranty if its that bad you might as well take it in to the store and show someone whats going on. Rooting it means you'll have no luck ever getting it replaced if there is something that their software caused that made the phone a brick.

The problem is that it's just not working right. Ever since the upgrade, her phone signal goes from 2-0 bars most of the time, more often than not 0. This is making the phone work harder for a signal, and her battery dies within a few hours. The 3G and wi-fi also shut off randomly. Not just "the icon is dark and things don't download," but "the icon is gone and shit doesn't work." Sometimes turning off and on whatever is failing works, sometimes it takes a reboot. She's also not able to receive texts correctly, instead getting them in batches (i.e. a few people will send her texts, but she'll receive them all at the same time later in the day). All of this started literally the day after the update, and she hasn't installed any other apps since.

Seriously, Verizon has been no help. Taking it to the store doesn't help since the people at the store know nothing about the Incredible (the local Verizon stores mostly don't even carry it, just the X and Droid 2). Very frustrating.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2010
    It sounds like you're going to a "licensed dealer" and not a corporate Verizon store if they're claiming to not know anything about one of the most popular phone models they carry.

You have to find one of their official corporate stores and deal with someone who works for the company and not just a licensed reseller.

Allforce on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, so my wife is completely done with 2.2 on her incredible. Anyone have any idea how to get back to 2.1? We'll root it, hack it, whatever it takes... the phone is almost completely unusable now.

Can you be more specific in what you mean by "completely unusable"? I guess I'm not understanding what the problem is here on it, is it something like "well now it's really slow compared to before" or is it as severe as "It just shuts off when I try to make a phone call"?

I've just read nothing about any problems with 2.2 on Incredible on any of the usual Droid news sites and blogs about this, makes me wonder if yours is just a faulty phone. I know you said "Well the Verizon rep said a lot of people are having issues..." which doesn't inspire much confidence in me since those people rarely know whats going on with their own products.

Hell even saying that, before you go ahead and root it and ruin the warranty if its that bad you might as well take it in to the store and show someone whats going on. Rooting it means you'll have no luck ever getting it replaced if there is something that their software caused that made the phone a brick.

The problem is that it's just not working right. Ever since the upgrade, her phone signal goes from 2-0 bars most of the time, more often than not 0. This is making the phone work harder for a signal, and her battery dies within a few hours. The 3G and wi-fi also shut off randomly. Not just "the icon is dark and things don't download," but "the icon is gone and shit doesn't work." Sometimes turning off and on whatever is failing works, sometimes it takes a reboot. She's also not able to receive texts correctly, instead getting them in batches (i.e. a few people will send her texts, but she'll receive them all at the same time later in the day). All of this started literally the day after the update, and she hasn't installed any other apps since.

Seriously, Verizon has been no help. Taking it to the store doesn't help since the people at the store know nothing about the Incredible (the local Verizon stores mostly don't even carry it, just the X and Droid 2). Very frustrating.

Probably upgraded the OS but not the radio version.

When I jumped from eclair to froyo (rooted HTC Hero) I also upgraded the radio version, then cleared the battery stats. If you're seriously fed up with that Incredible I'd root it and throw something like cyanogen on it, but as mentioned doing so will void any and all warantees you have. Take it to the store first and see what they can do.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited September 2010
    bummer I need to root for a screenshot, I want to show this off.

Variable on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Doesn't the SDK do it?

You'd have to plug it in, of course.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mah fone...
    device.png
    I have seven home screens, but I'm lazy and don't want to get caps of all of them.

The background is from a shirt that was featured on Woot once upon a time.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just ordered the G2!

Yaaaayyyyy

Langly on
    edited September 2010
    Whats you agenda and weather widgets dude? I like that agenda widget alot

Allforce on
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weather widget is called Snowstorm.
    Agenda is called Smooth Calendar.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I just ordered the G2!

Yaaaayyyyy

high five

except I guess its getting shipped to my parent's house

oooops

Edit: Wait, what the hell. the email has the wrong address listed, but their website says it'll be shipping to the right one.

weird

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm confused on icons

I got desktop visualizer but it has like no icon packs

not a fan of applauncher

what other options are there?

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    desktop visulaizer will put any picture on as a widgit/icon. but you need to provide the icon either by downloading it or making one yourself. it doesn't come with any

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    mts wrote: »
    desktop visulaizer will put any picture on as a widgit/icon. but you need to provide the icon either by downloading it or making one yourself. it doesn't come with any

so it'll work with other stuffs icon packs?

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    as long as its on your phone it will

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »

Doesn't the SDK do it?

You'd have to plug it in, of course.
    http://blog.lassey.us/2010/09/13/android-screen-shots-without-rooting-your-phone/

DigDug2000 on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spool froyo on my droid x. I can finally watch flash video.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I just ordered the G2!

Yaaaayyyyy

Me too!

SO EXCITED

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2010
    chrome2phone is even cooler than I thought

I used it yesterday to send individual icons to my phone rather than having to sort through icon packs

and I just tried sending text and it can do that too, highlight text and right click, chrome2phone, and it gets sent to your phone clipboard.

everyone may know this already but I just found out, so cool.

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    *hangs head in shame for downloading full icon packs*

nexuscrawler on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i dont know anything about android, so bear with me. if i get an epic 4g will i be able to customize the icons and everything like you dudes have that have posted screenshots?

Ah_Pook on
  • KazakKazak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i dont know anything about android, so bear with me. if i get an epic 4g will i be able to customize the icons and everything like you dudes have that have posted screenshots?

Yes. Android allows for a lot of customization options out of the box. However, a lot more become available when you "root" the phone. i.e. You bypass the internal security.

Kazak on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    chrome2phone is even cooler than I thought

I used it yesterday to send individual icons to my phone rather than having to sort through icon packs

and I just tried sending text and it can do that too, highlight text and right click, chrome2phone, and it gets sent to your phone clipboard.

everyone may know this already but I just found out, so cool.

Oh wow, that's very cool.

Google maps pages opens them in google maps.

LewieP on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    im not really looking to hack around on my phone, i dunno. also doesnt rooting void your warranty?

Ah_Pook on
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    im not really looking to hack around on my phone, i dunno. also doesnt rooting void your warranty?

I feel the same way and have as much customization visually going on as anyone.

Variable on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rooting does void your warranty. It's the only reason I haven't yet.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    the biggest downside to this phone is I will sit here till the end of days customizing it

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    the biggest downside to this phone is I will sit here till the end of days customizing it

yeah, I finally had it somewhere I liked it and then I saw an infinitely better style.

I am happy with it now though

I can't imagine investing in a phone like this and not being able to spend hours customizing it though

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    I'm finding desktop visualizer very tedious

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.