As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

5770 Fan not running past 50%?

ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
I've got two different 5770s from two different manufacturers, not crossfire

Both have the same damn problem where the fan won't spin past 50%

Temps skyrocket in heavy gaming and benchmarking because the fan wont go faster, It almost instantly knocks 10c-20c off temps if I manually set the fan to run at 100%

and I dont want to be setting the fan in the CCC settings every time i want to play a game.

Anyone know why this is doing this and how to fix it

edit

during benchmarking temps rose past 90c and i panicked and pulled the plug.

Buttcleft on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Try poking around with RivaTuner.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Temps skyrocket in heavy gaming and benchmarking because the fan wont go faster, It almost instantly knocks 10c-20c off temps if I manually set the fan to run at 100%

and I dont want to be setting the fan in the CCC settings every time i want to play a game.

edit

Cards can easily handle past 100ºC, just stopping the benchmark would have been enough. Heck pulling the plug was worse because you made the fan stop.

Seconding Rivatuner.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

edit

Cards can easily handle past 100ºC, just stopping the benchmark would have been enough. Heck pulling the plug was worse because you made the fan stop.

Seconding Rivatuner.

Pulled the plug figuratively, not literally. Meaning I stopped the benchmark, I didnt dive under my desk and rip the plug out of the wall :lol:

Yeah I know they can handle 100c, but why should it run there if I can run it at 70c. Its silly that the fan won't spin past 50%

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Some can run that hot. Not all, different chips have different thermal envelopes.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh haha I thought you literally did pull the plug. Yes, videocards optimally shouldn't really go above 80ºC, I was just saying that 100ºC is ok in a sense that shouldn't panic if reaches that temp for a few seconds.

The 9800GX2 was rated to work at constant 95ºC, it would peak at 110ºC for me, ugh I hated that card. I think my current 4850 goes to about 85-87ºC when really under stress.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Look at these numbers for example, the 5770 shouldn't run that hot. Poop

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Oh haha I thought you literally did pull the plug. Yes, videocards optimally shouldn't really go above 80ºC, I was just saying that 100ºC is ok in a sense that shouldn't panic if reaches that temp for a few seconds.

The 9800GX2 was rated to work at constant 95ºC, it would peak at 110ºC for me, ugh I hated that card. I think my current 4850 goes to about 85-87ºC when really under stress.

my 4850 regularly topped out at 100c, then when it died i think it spiked well over that because the heatsink managed to scorch and kill my motherboard.

it was a piece of shit that I RMA'd 3 times, though. Always had problems with the 4850

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Video card drivers never seem to get their fan speed profiles right. I've just set my 4750's to 100% fan in the CCC overclock panel, and let them be. During the Summer, doing this was a lifesaver.

It's almost as if they want the fans to run too slow, eat away the card's life... almost as if they want you to buy the next generation of cards at an inflated price. Conspiracy?

Hold on, someone's at the door...

darkgrue on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Which 5770 do you have? My fan doesnt get much past 50%, but the temps are way lower. Do you have one of the budget models or "quiet" models with the tiny fans?

I think at peak under 100% load it hit 54 degrees. I was watching it, because the 4670 i replaced would always run at 100% fan but would still be around 90 degrees at 100% load. So i was curious to see how this new card would run, because i upgraded almost solely to get rid of the fan noise.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    Which 5770 do you have? My fan doesnt get much past 50%, but the temps are way lower. Do you have one of the budget models or "quiet" models with the tiny fans?

I think at peak under 100% load it hit 54 degrees. I was watching it, because the 4670 i replaced would always run at 100% fan but would still be around 90 degrees at 100% load. So i was curious to see how this new card would run, because i upgraded almost solely to get rid of the fan noise.

I've got the IceQ.

This thing is not tiny.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use MSI Afterburner (which can be used on non-MSI cards) which will let you set a graph of the fan speed you want for any given temp. It'll also let you see the card's temp, gpu usage, fan speed, and fps while in game if you're into that sort of thing. It's pretty neat seeing how changing settings or games effect the cards. I have never seen my 5850 go above 60c (with the fan speed stopping at 80%) unless I'm doing stress test type things like furmark, and actual games are more like 40-50, but I also have a handful of 120mm fans in the case...

Roland_tHTG on