As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animation Thread

• JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy sh*t

Pixar has the highest-rated films ever on rotten tomatoes
    Both Toy Stories are at 100%, Incredibles and Finding Nemo at 97% and 98%

:!:

JCM on
  • SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    Geebs wrote: »
    God, the Lion King is better than Mask of the Phantasm and Beauty and the Beast combined.

There is no reasoning with me on this.

The only Oscar nomination for BEST FRIGGING FILM given to an animated movie snagged by Beauty and the Beast says otherwise.

But Lion King was awesome in its own right, which makes the sequel/ass raping by Disney so much more painful.

Beauty and the Beast and Lion King pale in comparison to Fantasia. They aren't even in the same league.

Night on Bald Mountain ftw.

Sliver on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Also, that first FF pic isn't old school enough. I believe the first FF series had HERBIE instead of Johnny.

Or is the Thing Ring older than that?

That isn't old school.
    Fantastic4.jpg is old school.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQj8NCey1A

Couscous on
    edited May 2007
    Also, if we're talking about old animation Watership Down and The Plague Dogs deserve an honorable mention for trying to break the mold of "cartoons are for children" and do something with actual artistic merit.

Sliver on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Speaking of old school, you gotta love the intro to the 60s Hulk cartoon.

Hulk's origin from the cartoon. Is it just me, or does the gamma bomb look a little like a giant gamma dong?

DMAC on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, we don't even mention Teen Titans?
    That show got like, 90 things in the comic changed.

Also, She-Hulks origin in the 90s Hulk cartoon was vaguely sexual.
    And by "vaguely" I mean "You really have to be trying to not notice."

The Muffin Man on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the Teen Titans show is so different it doesn't really need to be mentioned. It's more of an Ultimates-style of 'reimagining' it. The characters have the same names, powers, etc. but everything's tweenified. Attacking things they got wrong would be pointless. I just try to enjoy what it is.

A Nextwave cartoon on Adult Swim might be interesting. It could just be as wild and random as they wanted it to be. Maybe fifteen minutes of that and fifteen of Deadpool.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My personal favourites from back in the day would be the 90's Spider-Man, X-men and Batman: The Animated Series

I've watched a few episodes of X-men on youtube and the like, and yes it is a bit of Nostalgia creeping in when I think about how awesome it was, it really wasn't that great, and the animation is pretty bad. I love it though, and it has had the effect on me of searing those voices into my brain, if I read Wolverine he sounds like the cartoon wolverine in my head. Professor X might be a little mixed between cartoon and Patrick Stewart though :P I'm still kinda amazed just how much they managed to fit into the show though, the amount of story arcs they covered is pretty staggering.
    Also the Japanese versions of the intro when they imported the show, complete with Jubilee throwing hadokens everywhere, what the fuck?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEx9r5enZsk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyW7XwmmDk

Spider-man I haven't seen in ages, but I'm going to assume it's in the same boat as X-men, not that great nowdays. Doesn't stop me from loving it all the same. And it kicks the absolute shit out of Spider-man unlimited, what a piece of crap that was. With the friendly comedy relief Green Goblin and the... Oh man D:

Batman: the animated series on the other hand, perhaps I'm being nostalgic about it too, but I'm pretty sure that show was actually a top quality show that would hold up even today, it was just sooo good.

The Maxx was pretty awesome in it's own way too. Although it was on in some weird timeslot here along with Liquid Television, actually it might have been part of Liquid Television come to think of it...

-SPI- on
    edited May 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Batman: the animated series on the other hand, perhaps I'm being nostalgic about it too, but I'm pretty sure that show was actually a top quality show that would hold up even today, it was just sooo good.

No, you're not being nostalgic. It really did kick all kinds of ass. Of all the animated series I've seen based on comic books, it's hands down my favorite. Though I haven't seen the Spawn animated series so my opinion might change.

Sliver on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geez, I liked Spider-Man: Unlimited.

TM2 Rampage on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Back on the reimaging of the DCAU, I do know that eventually (not sure exactly when, but they did) change Joker back to his original style sometime in the JL/JLU timeframe.

As for Ivy, I don't think she was suppose to be an Albino. I coulda sworn her skin had a green tinge to it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Back on the reimaging of the DCAU, I do know that eventually (not sure exactly when, but they did) change Joker back to his original style sometime in the JL/JLU timeframe.

As for Ivy, I don't think she was suppose to be an Albino. I coulda sworn her skin had a green tinge to it.

She started out as a normal woman. Somewhere along the line she got green skin.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember watching Batman: animated series for the first time. The only channel that carried it played the Man Bat episode fifty times at least before showing a new episode. My brothers and I were sick to death of it but it was impossible not to watch!

Also what ever happened to that CGI spider-man cartoon from I guess two or three years ago? I don't think it got past the first season.

Caveman Paws on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also what ever happened to that CGI spider-man cartoon from I guess two or three years ago? I don't think it got past the first season.

Yeah, it was on MTV> It was actually okay. They really re-worked some villains. Like electro was completely different - some emo nerd kid turned pure electricity by accident. I don't think it'll get picked up for a second season. Personally I think MTV was a horrible choice to air something like this. They cancel shows all the time. It would have to be on network television, or something like cartoon network in order to thrive.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, it only ran one season. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series was actually pretty good once you got over the cell shaded animation style. The web-slinging/action sequences were cool. Some of the changes (Electro being an emo loser) were pretty bad, but overall it sort of felt like a blend of the movies and Ultimate Spider-Man. There's a 2 DVD set out with all 13 episodes.

DMAC on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The ending was rough. Peter decides being Spidey sucks and chucks his costume into the hudson inside a suitcase with a brick in it, presumably to come back in some spectacular way at the beginning of the next season. I was sorry to see it go.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember that show being kinda boring.
    Then again, I was really hoping for it to be like the 90's Spider-Man show.
    Speaking of which, I caught an episode a while ago on T.V.
    That show was so fast paced I could hardly keep up.

Zombot on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You want old school?

fleischer-title2.jpg

There's a Best Buy bargain bin with one of these DVDs in it near you. Right now. GO BUY IT.

This is what Timm based his Batman/Superman designs on. All of them are full of awesome.

While I grew up on Zan and Jaina, and horrible, horrible images of H.E.R.B.I.E. in my head, I have to say, nostalgia makes Superfirends and Fantastic Four some of my favorites. Same goes for Spiderman & His Amazing Friends- especially when they combined it with the Hulk for an hour of comic goodness.

Today, I'm a big fan of high quality animation, as well as good storytelling. That's why the DCAU wins hands down for me. I'd agree with most people that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was one of the best DCAU movies done, but the animation wasn't quite as good as some of the episodes. Compare it to SubZero, or World's Finest. But the story? Can't beat it.

Tach on
    edited May 2007
    Those old Superman cartoons are still awesome.
    The animation was exceptional considering when it was made.

Zombot on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Max fucking Fleischer, man

Those cartoons were the best when I was three and they're the best now

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    Those old Superman cartoons are still awesome.
    The animation was exceptional considering when it was made.

They use a lot of rotoscoping.

I mean, they're still fucking awesome looking

But not particularly advanced

Garlic Bread on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A little trivia: acording to The Inflation Calculator, one of those Fleischer cartoons today would have cost almost 1.4 million dollars. I think most cartoons are lucky to get half that for almost three times the length.

SpeedySwaf on
    edited May 2007
    Tach wrote: »
    You want old school?

fleischer-title2.jpg

There's a Best Buy bargain bin with one of these DVDs in it near you. Right now. GO BUY IT.

Done.

Has anyone here seen the Spawn series? Any thoughts on it?

Sliver on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Saw it on HBO when it first aired. I never followed the comic, but I thought that it was fairly good.

Wish I coulda watched it on a regular basis. There are some good storylines where Spawn has to fight some other Hellspawns as well as some Spawn hunters and the detectives also have thier own troubles.

Keith David is Spawn (win) and the guy that played Harvey in Batman TAS plays the lead detective (forget his name).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Oh dude, the Spawn series was so bad.
    There were shadows...everywhere.
    Cops were shadowed, food was shadowed, light bulbs were shadowed.

Zombot on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your is lacking what I like to call "The Shutting Mechanism".

Rectify this.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    The ending was rough. Peter decides being Spidey sucks and chucks his costume into the hudson inside a suitcase with a brick in it, presumably to come back in some spectacular way at the beginning of the next season. I was sorry to see it go.
    I had a feeling that if they continued that cliffhanger...
    It would have turned out to be a dream. A hallucination caused by Kraven. There was at least one hint at this earlier in the episode. Plus, Mary Jane dying, and Peter getting advice from Stan Lee on the matter of her dying?

By the way, I read on SuperheroHype a while ago that they were making yet another Spider-Man animated series. I guess we can maybe expect another reboot with the same origins for the heroes and villains told over again for the billionth time.

TM2 Rampage on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    I had a feeling that if they continued that cliffhanger...
    It would have turned out to be a dream. A hallucination caused by Kraven. There was at least one hint at this earlier in the episode. Plus, Mary Jane dying, and Peter getting advice from Stan Lee on the matter of her dying?

By the way, I read on SuperheroHype a while ago that they were making yet another Spider-Man animated series. I guess we can maybe expect another reboot with the same origins for the heroes and villains told over again for the billionth time.

that's what i liked about spider-man: unlimited
    it had a NO origin stories, and threw parker in a brand new world with almost no continuity from previous.
    they could have written anything they wanted....oh squandered talent :(

delphinus on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ultimate Spidey seems almost perfect to be adapted for a cartoon. And if Bendis wrote it? Man, that'd be awesome.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2007
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a new Spider-Man cartoon.
    One would think with all the movies they would get a cartoon out there.

Zombot on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    Oh dude, the Spawn series was so bad.
    There were shadows...everywhere.
    Cops were shadowed, food was shadowed, light bulbs were shadowed.

Gee... why on earth would a Spwan cartoon work in a setting that relies heavily on shadow... Spawn would definately work better in a setting more akin to Rainbow Brite...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007
    Maybe it was just the episode I saw a while ago, but they went crazy with the shadows.
    There was a light shining in the room and both Sam and Twitch were fully shaded.
    They were facing the light.

I understand that they were going for the city of darkness look but there's no reason to ignore simple shading rules.

Zombot on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It also sounds fucking awesome. Sean "cheeks" Galloway (Teen Titans Go!, Hellboy: Animated), Greg Weisman (Gargoyles), and Vic Cook (Director of Hellboy: Blood and Iron)? Fuck yes.

I've got a gigantic man crush on Galloway and his art style though. I mean, look at this. Awesome.

Munch on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to see a Flash cartoon in the DCAU, spun out from JLU.

It could be set in the Batman Beyond time-frame, and use Bart as the flash.

There would be JY flashbacks, and I would cry a tear of joy each time.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited May 2007
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    god fuck i want a "Beyond" universe in the new multiverse so fucking bad

Garlic Bread on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    DMAC, god I love your art.

Oh and that Flash design is fantastic.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When is someone going to make a kick ass Invincible animated series based on the Image comic? Seriously, that's all I want right now.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    omnimanse5.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I want Batman Beyond back... I mean, seriously, to have a cartoon where they go around saying "schwey" all the time still be that freaking fantastic...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'