As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got a Wildfire a couple of weeks ago to replace my Nokia E63, and I am so happy with it. Until I actually played with it in-store, the resolution was looking like a turn-off, but it's perfectly fine for me.

Only thing is I can't get the Urbanspoon app.

Also, customisation is a bit of a bitch.

Admittedly, though, that's only because there are way too many widgets and home screens and launchers to choose from.
    I'm finding desktop visualizer very tedious
    It is. By jove, it is the most tedious thing I have ever used. It's so tedious my toes kept curling out of impatience.

Cyvros on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incidentally, yes rooting voids your warranty. If you think that all the many of us who do warranty our phones any less frequently or less successfully than others, then you're a little naive, to be honest.

It's a point frequently made, and it keeps new users from potentially making their phone so much more awesome.

Unless you literally say to the service rep, "My phone doesn't work anymore. Do you think it's because I voided my warranty by rooting my phone?" then nobody will give a damn. They check to see if it's obviously dinged up (maybe) and they check that dropped-in-the-water detection sticker. If you're super worried, just unroot your phone first. These people deal in volume. A crack team of forensic scientists is not going to examine your phone. You will not go to jail.

Put this shit in the OP. :P

gilrain on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got my G1 rooted/Froyo'd (is that a verb now?). Downloaded a few of the recent apps/widgets I liked like snowstorm, battstatt, d-clock, Kindle and g-talk.

Now, what else should I be looking for? I'll need something that can play all kinds of fun musics so when I run I can use it.

Can I customize the lock screen? I mean its nice, but I'd like something unique. I had one called "Mileage" that was nice for keeping stats on my trucks gas consumption so I'll grab that again.

Basically I'm just overjoyed to have an Android again!

Iceman.USAF on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not opposed to rooting but I've yet to come across any good reason to do it. A clear-cut list of benefits in comparison to your stock phone other than "it just makes it so much better!" would go a long way in getting people to re-evaluate their stance on it.

Allforce on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basically rooting your phone is a lot like reinstalling your brand name PC.

You brought a PC from the store, it comes with 90,000 programs that fucks with the registry, takes up space, makes you PC runs slow; i.e. bloatware. So you reinstall the O/S to get rid of that crap.

Basically it's the same with rooting your phone. It also gives you the ability to fully customize your UI and do a few hardware mods.

Basically, it gives you freedom to do what you want with your hardware without some corporate bizwiz going 'NO! NOOO! NOOOO! IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THOSE FEATURES THEN YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW PHONE!'

Casually Hardcore on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's hardly "sticking it to the man" when most of these phones are built to be rooted.

Hell, T-Mobile's latest app guide included a couple of apps that only work on rooted phones.

Evander on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You brought a PC from the store, it comes with 90,000 programs that fucks with the registry, takes up space, makes you PC runs slow; i.e. bloatware. So you reinstall the O/S to get rid of that crap.

Basically it's the same with rooting your phone. It also gives you the ability to fully customize your UI and do a few hardware mods.

Basically, it gives you freedom to do what you want with your hardware without some corporate bizwiz going 'NO! NOOO! NOOOO! IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THOSE FEATURES THEN YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW PHONE!'

I see your point but this example really seems like a stretch since I can't imagine the phone being THAT hampered by a few shitty pre-installed apps like Amazon Mp3 and Blockbuster.

Like I said, I've never had any reason to do it. The phone is fast, snappy, I download/install/uninstall a shit ton of apps on a daily basis and the preformance is never less than stellar. I could see if the whole phone was just one big Verizon ad (like nearly every one of their regular phones is, hello VCAST) but thats far from the truth.

Allforce on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

I see your point but this example really seems like a stretch since I can't imagine the phone being THAT hampered by a few shitty pre-installed apps like Amazon Mp3 and Blockbuster.

Like I said, I've never had any reason to do it. The phone is fast, snappy, I download/install/uninstall a shit ton of apps on a daily basis and the preformance is never less than stellar. I could see if the whole phone was just one big Verizon ad (like nearly every one of their regular phones is, hello VCAST) but thats far from the truth.

Then don't root your phone?

I mean, what exactly do you want? Some kind of endorphin rush for not rooting your phone or something?

Casually Hardcore on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I rooted to gain access to:

-Titanium Backup, which lets me automatically backup all the apps and user data on my phone. Admittedly, rooting and messing around with the fiddly bits of the phone which are usually locked by security also causes you more likely to need these backups
    -The ability to undervolt/underclock for better battery life
    -Because I'm a massive nerd who likes doing stuff like replacing my phone's kernel or flashing it with new images that do different things. One week I can use something very similar to stock, another I can swap over to something which values AOSP like CyanogenMod

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2010
    This might seem silly, but it's bothering me a little.

I installed CM6 after rooting, and its got a little bar with all kinds of handy things on it for toggling wifi, data network, voice network, bluetooth, and brightness. There's one icon on the bar which *I* associated with "refresh" but I have no idea what it's toggling. It's 2 arrows points at the others tail in a circle. Like this

Thoughts?

Iceman.USAF on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that one forces your background data stuff to sync. Like GMail, other Mail accounts, Twitter if you've got it, etc.

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2010
    Good to know, thanks!

Another question, I'm looking for the app from my bank USAA on the market place and it's not showing up. I've used it on my Eris previously, so I know its around. Any idea why i can't find it?

Iceman.USAF on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One week I can use something very similar to stock, another I can swap over to something which values AOSP like CyanogenMod

this is the bit that folks who insist that everyone should root tend to gloss over. most users just want their phone to work. An occassional firmware upgrade isn't a big deal, but swapping roms, or having to reflash to a different rom because the one you picked had a bug, etc., these are things that most users would rather have bloatware than have to deal with.

Rooting is great for the people who want it, but it's not for everyone.

Evander on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah I don't even know what that means, aosp whaaa?

so it's not for me. I can live with a couple of extra apps. I can still customize the shit out of my interface.

believe me no one is trying to crap on the idea of rooting but for people who are into tech enough to say, post on a videogame forum in a thread dedicated to their phone, it's gonna be a thought but maybe something they want good reasons to do. so it's not that anyone is looking for an 'endorphin rush'... just a matter of needing to know what to put on the plus/minus side of the scale when making this decision.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a way to get the % battery life on the screen without rooting?

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    There are apps which display it, bit the problem is they will consume battery while letting you know what your battery is at.

As for AOSP, it means Android Open Source Project - basically that your phone is running 100% open source code.

Dehumanized on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I have an HTC Incredible 2.2 and I can't seem to connect to the internet anymore. I can connect through wifi, I can make calls and send texts, I just can't connect on a mobile network...any ideas?

Fizban140 on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone have a Fascinate? Reviews range from "Best Galaxy S Besides the Epic" to "Kinda Shitty 'Cause it Has Bing." Deciding between sticking with AT&T with a Captivate or moving over to VZW.

deadonthestreet on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For the record, I was not saying that everyone should or has to root their phone. I was saying that "it voids the warranty" is not rational as a sole reason not to do so. It technically voids your warranty, but practically it does no such thing and, thus, is misleading.

"I have no reason to root my phone," or, "I don't want to root my phone because X," are fine. I just don't like seeing the newbie question, "So, I'd like to root, but does it void my warranty?" answered with a blanket "Yep." Instead of a, "Yeah, technically, but practically you're fine in almost all cases." Because half the point of an Android phone is the ability/freedom to root.

That's all. I'm not going to spell out the reasons to root. If you have to ask, you're probably better off enjoying your phone stock. I'm not trying to sell a religion, here, I'm just trying to dismiss the disinformation that rooting will prevent you from warrantying your phone if something goes wrong. It almost never will. It's like a lightning strike.

gilrain on
  • MultiCoreMultiCore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I have an HTC Incredible 2.2 and I can't seem to connect to the internet anymore. I can connect through wifi, I can make calls and send texts, I just can't connect on a mobile network...any ideas?

Were you using large amounts of data? Say, over 5gb per month?

You may have had your data service terminated.

Anyone have a Fascinate? Reviews range from "Best Galaxy S Besides the Epic" to "Kinda Shitty 'Cause it Has Bing." Deciding between sticking with AT&T with a Captivate or moving over to VZW.
    If you're planning to root your phone, you can easily change the default search provider to Google.

MultiCore on
    "Es ist Zeit fur Rache! Wir mussen die Fanboys ausrotten!"
    My Setup
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are apps which display it, bit the problem is they will consume battery while letting you know what your battery is at.

As for AOSP, it means Android Open Source Project - basically that your phone is running 100% open source code.

this actually turned me on a little bit

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MultiCore wrote: »

Were you using large amounts of data? Say, over 5gb per month?

You may have had your data service terminated.

Have you taken out the sim card and then put it back in?

I have to do this about once a week with my HTC Desire when it for no reason decides not to be able to connect using 3G.

It's is tres annoying.

BobCesca on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just ordered a phone upgrade - HTC Desire will be with me on Tuesday!

Yay!

Then checked the HTC website to see they have just announced the new HTC Desire HD to come out next month.

Boo!

Hmm, do I stick with the Desire or wait for the HD model? I've used (and really liked) the Desire so maybe stick with what I know I like?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AFAIK only differences are larger screen (4.3" vs 3.7") and the camera stores pix in 8 mp instead of 5. I was just thinking how I enjo that my desire camera is decent enough that I never have to run around with a compact again.

You can wait for the HD if you want the bigger screen for the monies

Alegis on
    edited September 2010
    The screen does seem almost too big though.

Like, I looked at a video, and all the shortcut icons (widgets) looked too far away under the guys thumb. Would be great for texting when drunk though.

I think I'll stick with the standard Desire. Hope it ships with 2.2 and not 2.1 not sure if 3 have put 2.2 out for the Desire yet though.

Going to need to look into what apps are decent too, literally no idea at this point!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    For the record, I was not saying that everyone should or has to root their phone. I was saying that "it voids the warranty" is not rational as a sole reason not to do so. It technically voids your warranty, but practically it does no such thing and, thus, is misleading.

"I have no reason to root my phone," or, "I don't want to root my phone because X," are fine. I just don't like seeing the newbie question, "So, I'd like to root, but does it void my warranty?" answered with a blanket "Yep." Instead of a, "Yeah, technically, but practically you're fine in almost all cases." Because half the point of an Android phone is the ability/freedom to root.

That's all. I'm not going to spell out the reasons to root. If you have to ask, you're probably better off enjoying your phone stock. I'm not trying to sell a religion, here, I'm just trying to dismiss the disinformation that rooting will prevent you from warrantying your phone if something goes wrong. It almost never will. It's like a lightning strike.

I spend hours tweaking icons and themes on a desktop, so I understand the compulsion to customize.

But,

It voids the warranty is a perfectly acceptable rational for those of us that aren't in a position to do without the warranty. Such as, not being able or not wanting to pay for a replacement if something ever goes wrong (and I mean something independent of rooting, rooting is perfectly painless). That isn't somehow a weakness or fearful stance, but just plain and simple pragmatism. Will I root the day my warranty expires? Yes. But until then, it's stock, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also half the point of an Android phone is having all the advantages of a smart phone, not running custom roms.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The screen does seem almost too big though.

Like, I looked at a video, and all the shortcut icons (widgets) looked too far away under the guys thumb. Would be great for texting when drunk though.

I think I'll stick with the standard Desire. Hope it ships with 2.2 and not 2.1 not sure if 3 have put 2.2 out for the Desire yet though.

Going to need to look into what apps are decent too, literally no idea at this point!

I think it still ships with 2.1
    3 is rather tricky name for me to find web hits for the update in case it uses a branded rom. You can probably root the device and throw on an unbranded rom or one of the custom roms based on 2.2

app wise OP is a good start, bottom of the page also has appbrain profile links

Alegis on
    edited September 2010
    The Desire HD also comes with an enhanced version of HTC Sense, and it's kinda up in the air whether or not the enhancements will be officially backported to "older" phones running Sense. Of course, the community is currently busy hacking it onto every phone it can, using a leaked version of the Desire HD code.

Dehumanized on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so hows the game scene on android these days? i hear its less than great, but i dont really have any basis for comparison.

Ah_Pook on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so hows the game scene on android these days? i hear its less than great, but i dont really have any basis for comparison.

As far as I can work out, a bit rubbish.

Apple rules mobile gaming.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited September 2010
    The Desire HD also comes with an enhanced version of HTC Sense, and it's kinda up in the air whether or not the enhancements will be officially backported to "older" phones running Sense. Of course, the community is currently busy hacking it onto every phone it can, using a leaked version of the Desire HD code.

Where does one need to point one's browser to start learning about tmore hese matters?

I know -nothing- about messing around with phone hax and (LOL) rooting.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited September 2010
    XDA Developers is generally a good place to learn more:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2010
    As well as androidforums.com

Iceman.USAF on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked Sense quite a bit before I used LauncherPro

I couldn't go back to it after that

MrDelish on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I have unlimited use from VZW, no sim card, I have been using it a lot but it shouldn't be anywhere near 5 gigs.

Hard reset fixed it.

Fizban140 on
    edited September 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

I tried to use LaunchPro but when I erased my 'Phone' hotkey, I couldn't reassigned the hotkey back to the phone.

Infact, I could'nt reassigned any of the hotkeys.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the info guys!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I have unlimited use from VZW, no sim card, I have been using it a lot but it shouldn't be anywhere near 5 gigs.

Hard reset fixed it.

Haha when I was back in DC with VZW I had their unlimited plan. I heard about ATT capping people at like 200 mb and whatnot so I figured "Man I should see how much I use. I use this all the time."

I used about 500mb a month, sometimes 600. It was quite eyeopening.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited September 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

The bits of sense I like tend to be the ones that aren't directly associated with the Rosie launcher, like the improved Exchange ActiveSync support

Dehumanized on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This happened to me yesterday. Rebooting the phone fixed it.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.